ADVERTISEMENT

So.. Should Coop have stayed?

Should Coop have stayed?

• Yes

Votes: 142 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 110 43.7%

• Total voters
I made a comment. I stand by it. It wasn't malicious. It is an observation. i just find it odd, that's all. I mean if you knew him on some personal basis, then sure. Otherwise, kind of weird.
If you don't think it is malicious to mock people by saying they are engaged in bizarre cultish behavior for posting football messages on a football board, you are a bigger prick than I imagined.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If you don't think it is malicious to mock people by saying they are engaged in bizarre cultish behavior for posting football messages on a football board, you are a bigger prick than I imagined.
Like I said hoss, ignore. No biggie. Good luck.

Iowa's scheme DEFINITELY hurts DBs stock in the NFL. It's a great scheme in college where the vast majority of QBs can't pick apart a zone and don't have the ability to move the back 7 with their eyes.

But in the NFL, QBs can pick apart a zone with ease which is why you don't see a lot of teams playing the style of ball Iowa plays. As a result, Iowa corners end up as safeties or as nickel corners covering slot guys.

I think last night was a culmination of a "perfect storm" against Coop. First, you had offensive guys going in the first 15 picks. Then you have the "white cornerback" issue. Then you have Iowa's scheme working against it. Finally, you have the injury.

Coop will be fine, though. Look at Stone, Hooker, Hyde, etc and what they've been able to do with their subsequent contracts. They cashed in and so will Coop eventualy.
NFL receivers can make the catch even when covered. That's the biggest difference. The precision of the passes by the QB and the ability of the receivers to make the catch even when covered.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Like I said hoss, ignore. No biggie. Good luck.
One last thing, I know you have said you have experienced racism over the years, which I absolutely believe. However, have you ever considered that some of your negative encounters are simply a result of your personality?

One last thing, I know you have said you have experienced racism over the years, which I absolutely believe. However, have you ever considered that some of your negative encounters are simply a result of your personality?
Not when they say the N word, no.

Reactions: peacehawk
Not when they say the N word, no.
Which is why I said some, and also said you surely have experienced racism. But maybe, just maybe, it is how you communicate with people which engenders some of your bad experiences. I certainly rub some people the wrong way and my wife would agree I can be too direct with people. But, that has nothing to do with what I look like.

Which is why I said some, and also said you surely have experienced racism. But maybe, just maybe, it is how you communicate with people which engenders some of your bad experiences. I certainly rub some people the wrong way and my wife would agree I can be too direct with people. But, that has nothing to do with what I look like.
Everyone rubs everyone the wrong way. Not everyone is everyone's friend. No biggie. I am man enough to handle it but I am also not an idiot and can understand when someone calls me the N word or something equally derogatory, when I don't know them, or having had no interaction, that they are sad, pathetic losers. As far as you are concerned, I am aware of your derision of Indian food. Perhaps you thought that should affect me. It doesn't. Would I be your friend? Who knows? But people who don't have an open mind, tend to have flaws within them inherently and are mostly hypocrites calling others titles that would fit them as well.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
As far as you are concerned, I am aware of your derision of Indian food. Perhaps you thought that should affect me. It doesn't. Would I be your friend? Who knows? But people who don't have an open mind, tend to have things with them inherently and are mostly hypocrites calling others titles that would fit them as well.
I don't like Indian food therefore I am a closed-minded prick. Got it, even though my wife's best friend of 40+ years and my friend of 30 years is Indian.

Packers missed their chance.

Teams needing a CB were seduced by Alabama and other SEC DB's over an Iowa guy coming off a serious injury.

He'll go early in 2nd round, probably to bottom-feeder franchise. That should help get him on the field early in his rookie year.
I expect it may be Buffalo right away or Washington with their two early picks in the 2nd round, all 3 precede the Packers next pick.

Yep. He was a great Hawkeye, but let’s face it Hawk corners don’t really translate to the next level. Desmond King has bounced between safety and nickel. Same with Micah Hyde. I feel they were both more athletic than Cooper.

Even if he came back and played offense, that doesn’t really help help his draft stock….especially in the Iowa offense haha.

Some team is going to get a steal. He could end up as an all-pro safety and special teams player.

Maybe he proves me wrong but he stands no chance against NFL WR. He barely played against any in the Big10
You are bad with logic and don't deserve any details explaining to you why your post is trash.
Go back to your coloring book.

Reactions: HawkGem11
Being a white corner, he was always at a disadvantage.

He's not super muscular and he got hurt, so there are no combine numbers for him, and then he is also playing a position that all the current starters in NFL are black hasn't had a caucasian starter for entire season in years. My guess is he ends up at safety. I had some doubts about him going 15th in 1st round and one would guess most of the gm's don't want to be the guy that drafted a white CB in 1st round that turned out to be a bust.

All that said, he can still be a good pick for a team in 2nd round and I hope he has a great career. Didn't make much sense for him to come back to play at Iowa without a $1million NIL package and Iowa doesn't have that kind of NIL.

Well, you're about 90% correct if you're talking about what positions to draft.

You can remove "top RBacks" from your list and replace with top CBacks, they are definitely valued far more highly as a draftable commodity.

I do believe you are correct about how Coop is viewed by GMs ...more as an impressive athlete than lockdown corner.
Yeah, I get you but by top running back I am talking a beast like Derrick Henry who can just carry a team, but the shelf life is iffy

Out of all the DB's in D1 football - so, over 500 starters - and only 3 were picked in Rd 1. And CDJ will probably be the 4th. It just wasn't a position of critical need for many teams.

It cost him some cash to miss Rd 1, but now he'll be a FA a year sooner.

I think he's going to be fine.

One other thing about Coop is that we all love this guy (one of my favorite Hawks all time) but our memories are filled mostly with what he has done with the ball in his hands. He is an elite punt returner and his shiftiness when returning interceptions are all exciting. But taking off our Hawkeye glasses and looking at it from a NFL GM's perspective and assuming that don't really value the punt returner side of things (not for a first round pick anyway), then his CB skills are very similar to Riley Moss. His measureables all stack up pretty much the same too. Riley is a very good CB and I love Riley too, but, he was a 3rd round pick and really didn't see the field last year for Denver, mainly because he is not quick enough to press these receivers. Objectively, I think it is fair to view Coop the same way. Personally I think Coop is going to be an awesome safety in the end, like pro bowl level safety and maybe pro bowl punt returner too.

I know they need a receiver, but, I bet Coop is too good to pass up for Buffalo.

Reactions: ichawk24
Alrighty.
Could you guys get a room or something? maybe exchange personal emails so you can verbally abuse each other & the rest of us don't have to read this sh!t. Thank you

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

He's not super muscular and he got hurt, so there are no combine numbers for him, and then he is also playing a position that all the current starters in NFL are black hasn't had a caucasian starter for entire season in years. My guess is he ends up at safety. I had some doubts about him going 15th in 1st round and one would guess most of the gm's don't want to be the guy that drafted a white CB in 1st round that turned out to be a bust.

All that said, he can still be a good pick for a team in 2nd round and I hope he has a great career. Didn't make much sense for him to come back to play at Iowa without a $1million NIL package and Iowa doesn't have that kind of NIL.
Have you seen his b-ball highlights? Dude is fairly jacked, especially for a DB. This is why he'll probably be an all pro safety. And he hasn't even reached his athletic peak yet... wow

Could you guys get a room or something? maybe exchange personal emails so you can verbally abuse each other & the rest of us don't have to read this sh!t. Thank you

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office
You're not wrong and I hate it when threads get hijacked like this. I had simply had enough of his crap from other threads and it came to a boil here. Moving on!

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
I think NFL evaluators failed to recognize two things, or at least recognize them to the degree the separates Coop from other athletic CBs:
1) his absolute stone cold run support capability - I’d bet my left nut there is no other CB in the draft that seeks out contact more than Coop. It’s possibly what almost hurt him in the fact he does it as well and as much as any safety - and thus the continual discussion about him playing S in the NFL. He’s a CB that hits like a safety! NOT a safety playing CB.
2) his incredible sixth sense for the ball AND sixth sense WITH the ball. Other CBs and returner are likely as athletic. But there’s an intangible with Coop - he is just so fluid to and with the ball.

Yep. He was a great Hawkeye, but let’s face it Hawk corners don’t really translate to the next level. Desmond King has bounced between safety and nickel. Same with Micah Hyde. I feel they were both more athletic than Cooper.

Even if he came back and played offense, that doesn’t really help help his draft stock….especially in the Iowa offense haha.

Some team is going to get a steal. He could end up as an all-pro safety and special teams player.

Maybe he proves me wrong but he stands no chance against NFL WR. He barely played against any in the Big10
Super. Another noob posting what could be the stupidest post on here all year. So yesterday they were showing CDJ covering Marvin Harrison Jr. and their other big wideout, and he did just fine. I'm sure those guys aren't NFL WR's though huh?

Reactions: littlez
He got beat for TD against OSU
PSU 2023 completed passes against him and defense at will

I’m not saying he’s bad. He’s a great player. But he plays in a scheme that lets corners be safeties in order to not get beat over the top. They give cushion, and their eyes are in the backfield.

That’s not what the nfl looks for in a corner. If Cooper was playing man to man on the best WR of every team consistently, then i think he gets picked in 1st round.

The guys picked ahead of him play man coverage.

Phil has done a masterful job of basically placing anyone on his defense in the NFL. If you’re a senior starter for Phil, you’ll find yourself on a roster.

But no one under Phil has made it as a top cornerback in the league. Desmond is the closest and he’s nickel / slot

Maybe DUI Felon ,@Chishawk1425 would like to respond... Cooper wasn't drafted in the 1st round because he is a white kid with amazing athletic ability. I wish he would have came back but pussy lib losers like you get it... you made it this way, Republicans wearing an Iowa uniform...here's some news to you psycho... Kirk Ferentz is republican and has donated to them, now go practice hanging yourself when TRUMP wins again!!!
Holy cow, mental?

Coop will do fine as a safety and will definitely make a mark as a returner.
Looking forward to it.

Cooper’s going to be fine.

But if he knew he wasn’t going to be picked in the first 40 picks he’s 100% coming back to Iowa City this year.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
Cooper’s going to be fine.

But if he knew he wasn’t going to be picked in the first 40 picks he’s 100% coming back to Iowa City this year.
He needs to fire his agent. How could any expert not see the plethora of QBs and WR going in the first. Somebody didn't do their homework.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT