ADVERTISEMENT

So.. Should Coop have stayed?

Should Coop have stayed?

• Yes

Votes: 142 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 110 43.7%

• Total voters
You don’t think Micah Hyde has had a good career in Buffalo?

I share your doubts about DeJean being able to play cornerback in the NFL. He is a heck of an athlete, but I have always doubted how his skill set translates to the NFL. He most likely will be a kick returner and come in as a nickel back on third and long situations. I’m guessing most teams weren’t willing to use a first round pick on that.

And, yes, for those who have mentioned it, I’m sure plenty of coaches and front office personnel have private doubts about a white cornerback. Fair or not, perception matters. It was that way a long time for black quarterbacks, and it’s still that way for white cornerbacks.

Tbh, when you have wide receivers with 4.3 and sub 4.3 forty times, you better have a corner who is blazing fast. Cooper was clocked at 4.45 and 4.42, which is actually a little better than the average forty time for NFL corners. If not for Cooper’s injury, he probably would have been a first round pick. Or, as others have mentioned, Cooper really hasn’t faced elite talent at the WR position in the non-conference or Big Ten regular season, and that could have caused some reluctance from teams as well.
I think Hyde had had a great career with Buffalo. He was a captain and made some all pro teams.

I think Iowas scheme hurts the defensive backs. They don’t play a lot of man coverage. They play 10 yards off the WR. With zone coverage they can watch the QB more

It’s a system that has done wonders for Iowa (and made Kirk a rich man), but it’s telling that nearly ALL Iowa dbs end up as a safety?? Real good ones too.

But that’s going to cause some hesitation for a team to take an Iowa player high in the draft.

I think it is the style of play difference between what the NFL is looking for and what Phil does that contributes to draft positions as much as anything. At the CB position the NFL is looking for the fast-twitched press coverage kind of guys to man up and challenge these fast receivers at the LOS. The corners that were drafted last night all played in systems that were mostly man coverage designed to put their best corner on the other team's best receiver. Phil doesn't play that way and Coop has not played that way as they play mostly zone coverage.

The best film to look at would be 2022 OSU because of their receivers, but, there really was not a lot there other than Coop giving up a big touchdown to OSU's #5 receiver in man coverage.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
The other corners dropped too because of Atlanta taking Penix so high throwing the round in a frenzy then first 14 picks all offense which has never happened before.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think Hyde had had a great career with Buffalo. He was a captain and made some all pro teams.

I think Iowas scheme hurts the defensive backs. They don’t play a lot of man coverage. They play 10 yards off the WR. With zone coverage they can watch the QB more

It’s a system that has done wonders for Iowa (and made Kirk a rich man), but it’s telling that nearly ALL Iowa dbs end up as a safety?? Real good ones too.

But that’s going to cause some hesitation for a team to take an Iowa player high in the draft.
True. Very true. Excellent point.

Iowa's scheme DEFINITELY hurts DBs stock in the NFL. It's a great scheme in college where the vast majority of QBs can't pick apart a zone and don't have the ability to move the back 7 with their eyes.

But in the NFL, QBs can pick apart a zone with ease which is why you don't see a lot of teams playing the style of ball Iowa plays. As a result, Iowa corners end up as safeties or as nickel corners covering slot guys.

I think last night was a culmination of a "perfect storm" against Coop. First, you had offensive guys going in the first 15 picks. Then you have the "white cornerback" issue. Then you have Iowa's scheme working against it. Finally, you have the injury.

Coop will be fine, though. Look at Stone, Hooker, Hyde, etc and what they've been able to do with their subsequent contracts. They cashed in and so will Coop eventualy.

Being selfish myself, yes. He's a difference maker and TL would have been drooling over him in the offense.

The frustrating thing is that once Iowa recognized his talent they should have been using him like a Christian McCaffrey. Iowa had not had an impact player like Cooper since Timmy D. Opportunity wasted.
One of these is McCaffrey and one of these is Coop.
40yd. 4.48 vs 4.42
Vertical. 37.5 vs 38.5
Broad 121 vs 124
Ht 5 ft 11in vs 6ft
Wt 202 vs 203.

He is at a different level athletically from a lot of other Iowa dbs.

Fell to at least round 2.
Packers missed their chance.

Teams needing a CB were seduced by Alabama and other SEC DB's over an Iowa guy coming off a serious injury.

He'll go early in 2nd round, probably to bottom-feeder franchise. That should help get him on the field early in his rookie year.

Iowa's scheme DEFINITELY hurts DBs stock in the NFL. It's a great scheme in college where the vast majority of QBs can't pick apart a zone and don't have the ability to move the back 7 with their eyes.

But in the NFL, QBs can pick apart a zone with ease which is why you don't see a lot of teams playing the style of ball Iowa plays. As a result, Iowa corners end up as safeties or as nickel corners covering slot guys.

I think last night was a culmination of a "perfect storm" against Coop. First, you had offensive guys going in the first 15 picks. Then you have the "white cornerback" issue. Then you have Iowa's scheme working against it. Finally, you have the injury.

Coop will be fine, though. Look at Stone, Hooker, Hyde, etc and what they've been able to do with their subsequent contracts. They cashed in and so will Coop eventualy.
It’s also why Iowa struggled mightily against the good teams….they usually have a pretty good QB who can pick apart the zone…..especially if Iowa cannot generate consistent pressure on the QB

We saw it against PSU and in the bowl game against TN. They dink and dunk against the soft coverage….then you have a running QB and it’s a complete mismatch. Iowa did very well against UM tho as they had JJ on the move a lot and couldn’t make the throws.

Purdue was another school that gives Iowa fits most years cause they have a system and QBs that feast on the zone coverage.

I will say Iowa has been very lucky over the last decade or so that the Big10 has been down on QB play. Other than OSU, and UM….what schools really had stellar QB play ?

Coop didn't get drafted in the first primarily because 21 of the players drafted were on offense. Only 3 DB's were taken and 2 of them were rated higher than Coop. The 4th rated DB was the last pick in the round. He'll go early in the second and still end up with a contract approaching 10 million. What he makes beyond that is up to him.
THIS!

It’s also why Iowa struggled mightily against the good teams….they usually have a pretty good QB who can pick apart the zone…..especially if Iowa cannot generate consistent pressure on the QB

We saw it against PSU and in the bowl game against TN. They dink and dunk against the soft coverage….then you have a running QB and it’s a complete mismatch. Iowa did very well against UM tho as they had JJ on the move a lot and couldn’t make the throws.

Purdue was another school that gives Iowa fits most years cause they have a system and QBs that feast on the zone coverage.

I will say Iowa has been very lucky over the last decade or so that the Big10 has been down on QB play. Other than OSU, and UM….what schools really had stellar QB play ?
this is a good post. NW gave them fits too.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I was as stunned as anyone that he fell out of the first round.
This thread has enlightened me (much like the Buddha under the Bodhi tree) as to why it happened.
With that said, I am confident he will do good work as a safety/PR at the next level.

You superfans sure have a lot vested in the stakes of a 20-something who doesn't know you exist. Pretty bizzare to be honest.

Maybe DUI Felon ,@Chishawk1425 would like to respond... Cooper wasn't drafted in the 1st round because he is a white kid with amazing athletic ability. I wish he would have came back but pussy lib losers like you get it... you made it this way, Republicans wearing an Iowa uniform...here's some news to you psycho... Kirk Ferentz is republican and has donated to them, now go practice hanging yourself when TRUMP wins again!!!
Hey Trumper, how's your cult leader going to lead your dumbass from a prison cell?

Packers missed their chance.

Teams needing a CB were seduced by Alabama and other SEC DB's over an Iowa guy coming off a serious injury.

He'll go early in 2nd round, probably to bottom-feeder franchise. That should help get him on the field early in his rookie year.
They decided to go OLine...not sexy but needed and he can play guard which he will probably do year 1.

Also GB has 4 picks in the next 2 rounds....Gutekunst is pretty good at what he does so if he WANTS Coop, then he can package some picks and go get him or potentially wait to see if he falls to him. Oline was a bigger need.

Sociology. Kind of interesting to see. Almost cult like.
Tired Insidethefactory GIF by BBC

Maybe DUI Felon ,@Chishawk1425 would like to respond... Cooper wasn't drafted in the 1st round because he is a white kid with amazing athletic ability. I wish he would have came back but pussy lib losers like you get it... you made it this way, Republicans wearing an Iowa uniform...here's some news to you psycho... Kirk Ferentz is republican and has donated to them, now go practice hanging yourself when TRUMP wins again!!!

Hey Trumper, how's your cult leader going to lead your dumbass from a prison cell?

200w.gif

Oh, I see you're drunk again.

200w.gif

No, he made the right move. The risk of injury/stat drop-off is too high to stay.

I think late first/early second round was always gonna be the ceiling for him. See: Sehorn, Jason; 1994 NFL Draft, 2nd Round, 59th Overall.

He'll probably go off the board early tomorrow.

If he falls to late third round or lower pick, then I'll change my opinion.
QBs, WRs, top RBacks, and top edge rushers, along with great OTackles are the game changers for teams. Coop is not a sure lock down CBack but he can sure be a great player in the end as a Dback and returner.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Sociology. Kind of interesting to see. Almost cult like.
And I do understand for reasons known to you, you have become a troll here. I am not taking your bait, but at least cast your line on the off topic board. It makes you look extra trollish when you do this on the football board of a website dedicated to Iowa athletics.

And I do understand for reasons known to you, you have become a troll here. I am not taking your bait, but at least cast your line on the off topic board. It makes you look extra trollish when you do this on the football board of a website dedicated to Iowa athletics.
That's your conclusion. Honestly, I do truly find this fascinating. I have lived in multiple countries and while the general population does somewhat worship athletics, it ain't anywhere like this. Just trying to analyze why. Feel free to put me on your ignore list. Nothing gained or lost.

QBs, WRs, top RBacks, and top edge rushers, along with great OTackles are the game changers for teams. Coop is not a sure lock down CBack but he can sure be a great player in the end as a Dback and returner.
Well, you're about 90% correct if you're talking about what positions to draft.

You can remove "top RBacks" from your list and replace with top CBacks, they are definitely valued far more highly as a draftable commodity.

I do believe you are correct about how Coop is viewed by GMs ...more as an impressive athlete than lockdown corner.

That's your conclusion. Honestly, I do truly find this fascinating. I have lived in multiple countries and while the general population does somewhat worship athletics, it ain't anywhere like this. Just trying to analyze why. Feel free to put me on your ignore list. Nothing gained or lost.
I am contemplating it, but I generally only do that for MAGA, Russians, and racists. Your contributions to bbq and health-related threads are redeeming, but you are really becoming a prick here lately.

I am contemplating it, but I generally only do that for MAGA, Russians, and racists. Your contributions to bbq and health-related threads are redeeming, but you are really becoming a prick here lately.
Again, agree to disagree. I just find these type of things interesting. Maybe you don't.

You either have a favorite sport or you don't. Don't have to goto school to understand. Maybe if it were poetry or a play you'd understand. I hope to make it into your daily journal. There are professional athletes that get killed in other countries.

• Love
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
You either have a favorite sport or you don't. Don't have to goto school to understand. Maybe if it were poetry or a play you'd understand. I hope to make it into your daily journal. There are professional athletes that get killed in other countries.
Yes, you're right. I like cricket. It went more from a national sport to a fixed, money making racket.

I find it interesting that you find it interesting that Iowa football fans on an Iowa football message board exchange messages about Iowa football.
It's not about the sport. It's about the affiliation people think they have with a random stranger.

Yes, you're right. I like cricket. It went more from a national sport to a fixed, money making racket.
I was going to say you lost all credibility with this post, instead you just validated it. Better sit this one out Chief, stop embarrassing yourself. Fascinating

If you are interested you would just observe. By inserting yourself into the experiment you are just being an asshole.
I made a comment. I stand by it. It wasn't malicious. It is an observation. i just find it odd, that's all. I mean if you knew him on some personal basis, then sure. Otherwise, kind of weird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT