ADVERTISEMENT

So, the students are finally back Wednesday ?

After their customary 2 months off, the University of Iowa reopens, this week, correct?

Perhaps some of the students and the teachers could make their way over to the
Basketball game on Wednesday night?

Go Hawks

Yeah! It was amazing all the noise those blue hairs made on Friday night. Thank God they were not all seated in the upper echelons so the absent students could be courtside. Real fans living within 100 miles made it a point to attend this important game. Many had to get a motel room, but they did show up and were very loud.

Yeah! It was amazing all the noise those blue hairs made on Friday night. Thank God they were not all seated in the upper echelons so the absent students could be courtside. Real fans living within 100 miles made it a point to attend this important game. Many had to get a motel room, but they did show up and were very loud.

I didn't see many blue hairs. Most I saw were younger than 45 or 50.

lol, no

the idea that older people don’t show up and others just magically move into their seats is completely made up.
I sit in the rows behind the parents. The average age of the adults in my section and the sections on either side of me is >50. And we generally show up except for rare occasions, not just "special" games or when it is convenient.

I sit in the rows behind the parents. The average age of the adults in my section and the sections on either side of me is >50. And we generally show up except for rare occasions, not just "special" games or when it is convenient.

And 50 is old?

people are complaining about the knitting old ladies, not X’ers and Boomers that are into it.

I'm 65 and I was there. Balding and gray but being just as loud as you younger people. I can easily remember the fun teams of the 60s and early 70s. This group reminds me of them in that both have great hearts. Don't underestimate us old folks at all.
I too was there but don't remember the student section going craze or making more noise than us old guys. I know, we need a new arena and let all students in free and let them set in the front rows...Better yet, just pay them to show up??? Make it a course grade:eek:

I too was there but don't remember the student section going craze or making more noise than us old guys. I know, we need a new arena and let all students in free and let them set in the front rows...Better yet, just pay them to show up??? Make it a course grade:eek:

Crowd was great against Michigan. There are enough folks who care about basketball that they will turn out and be loud when the team is good, which they did the other night. Too many bad/mediocre seasons over the past 30 years that it has diluted enthusiasm enough that it takes a good team to get the fans back out there in numbers. That's not just an Iowa thing, it's all over college basketball outside of Kansas, Duke, etc.

But yes, Iowa doesn't need to give the students the prime seats around the entire court. The people who have stuck with the program through think and thin with season tickets and donations don't need to be shuffled off to the rafters of the arena. The crowds will likely be very good the rest of the season. This team is good, they are fun to watch and they've given fans a reason to be there.

Reactions: chuck285
Crowd was great against Michigan. There are enough folks who care about basketball that they will turn out and be loud when the team is good, which they did the other night. Too many bad/mediocre seasons over the past 30 years that it has diluted enthusiasm enough that it takes a good team to get the fans back out there in numbers. That's not just an Iowa thing, it's all over college basketball outside of Kansas, Duke, etc.

But yes, Iowa doesn't need to give the students the prime seats around the entire court. The people who have stuck with the program through think and thin with season tickets and donations don't need to be shuffled off to the rafters of the arena. The crowds will likely be very good the rest of the season. This team is good, they are fun to watch and they've given fans a reason to be there.
Agree and, with the core if this team back next year, Iowa should sell more season tickets for next year. Lots to look forward to!

That's a heckuva 'holiday' break, for most working folk.

Attended the game on Friday and noticed the Student section was desolate. Too many games of Candy crush to play, probably?

:rolleyes:

You either are quite old or never attended college because most schools have at least 4 weeks off for winter break and have for the last 20 years at least.

That's a heckuva 'holiday' break, for most working folk.

Attended the game on Friday and noticed the Student section was desolate. Too many games of Candy crush to play, probably?

:rolleyes:
Well, if that is the biggest thing in your life to complain about, things must be going pretty good. Or things really suck. Either way, bitching about how much time college students get off.....wow.

Reactions: Eternal Return
This is confusing. Do you not know how Christmas break works for colleges? What is so hard to grasp?

Yeah, universities have had month-long breaks in Dec and Jan for, what, forever? This is not something new. And a lot of students work over the holidays to make extra money. I'm not sure why this is an issue right now.

Reactions: bojihawk44
You either are quite old or never attended college because most schools have at least 4 weeks off for winter break and have for the last 20 years at least.

It's way longer than 20 years. I had a month off in the early 1990s and my mom had a month off back in the 1960s. This "argument" is hogwash.

I figured but didn't want to speak to the years prior to my attendance. Sounds like the OP is probably even against 4 weeks off, so you are correct on the hogwash part.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT