ADVERTISEMENT

So we're almost a month past the end of Sturgis

I've never been to the event but am I right to think that the overwhelming majority of those who attend are not from south Dakota and therefore would count against their home states covid numbers a few days after returning home from the rally?

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — In the space of a month, South Dakota has gone from a summer simmer of COVID-19 cases to a new pandemic surge rivaling those in other states. Why?

The Black Hills in western South Dakota is the epicenter of the state’s COVID-19 surge, according to a Forum News Service analysis of federal and state COVID-19 data.

The virus is likely surging in the Black Hills for two reasons: Relatively few people in the area have gotten vaccinated against COVID-19, making them a relatively easy target for the more contagious delta variant of the virus, and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which brought hundreds of thousands of people from around the country into close contact.

Think of it as a lit match touching dry tinder

Since the end of the 10-day Sturgis rally on Aug. 15, about 4,000 people have been newly diagnosed with COVID-19 in the state. That means the state has logged about 330 new case a day, 10 times higher than in July, with local hospitals struggling to keep up with the flood of severe cases.

Try again, OP?

South Dakota’s daily coronavirus cases have increased 685% from an average of 54 when the rally began on August 6 to 424 as of September 1, according to a tracker run by The New York Times.

New infections had only jumped by about 260% by this point after last year’s rally, which yielded a fraction of the estimated 700,000-person turnout of last month’s event due to pandemic restrictions, increasing from an average of 87 new daily cases the day the rally began to 313 at the start of September.

Hospitalizations are also outpacing the increase seen after last year’s rally, topping 200 with at least 40 on ventilators as of August 31, the largest number since mid-January.

Meanwhile, some 85 coronavirus patients were hospitalized across South Dakota as of August 31, 2020, The New York Times data shows.

New daily deaths are almost the same as they were at this point last year (an average of 1.4 per day compared to 0.9 in 2020), though this metric is known to lag and can take weeks to catch up to upticks in cases and hospitalizations.

Waiting for Arkansas #s to spike after yesterday.

B2iXR2-CYAASGwB.0.jpg_large

Reactions: h-hawk
South Dakota’s daily coronavirus cases have increased 685% from an average of 54 when the rally began on August 6 to 424 as of September 1, according to a tracker run by The New York Times.

New infections had only jumped by about 260% by this point after last year’s rally, which yielded a fraction of the estimated 700,000-person turnout of last month’s event due to pandemic restrictions, increasing from an average of 87 new daily cases the day the rally began to 313 at the start of September.

Hospitalizations are also outpacing the increase seen after last year’s rally, topping 200 with at least 40 on ventilators as of August 31, the largest number since mid-January.

Meanwhile, some 85 coronavirus patients were hospitalized across South Dakota as of August 31, 2020, The New York Times data shows.

New daily deaths are almost the same as they were at this point last year (an average of 1.4 per day compared to 0.9 in 2020), though this metric is known to lag and can take weeks to catch up to upticks in cases and hospitalizations.

Good. That was the only way those people were going to get any immunity.
Some got sick. Most got better. Now, we have more immunity overall. And, quicker.
Attending Sturgis was the ‘vaccination’ for some.

Wait I thought the super spreader was going back to sporting events or state fairs or every other thing that we do in life. It’s so hard to keep up.

Are super spreaders like highlander or something??

SD COVID stats
and SD is averaging 2 COVID deaths per day?
Did the whole super spreader prediction not happen?

I don't understand comments like this.

Anyone who says these things and is serious is an idiot. And those who say them to be funny - and, yes, I've been guilty of that myself - should know better and should stop playing fool.

By now it should be child's play to identify events that are likely to lead to a bump in infections and their sequela.

Both of these count.

But just because events are likely to increase infections doesn't mean they will every single time.

And just because some probable spreader event did not increase infections does not mean that the whole science of epidemiology is wrong.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I don't understand comments like this.

Anyone who says these things and is serious is an idiot. And those who say them to be funny - and, yes, I've been guilty of that myself - should know better and should stop playing fool.

By now it should be child's play to identify events that are likely to lead to a bump in infections and their sequela.

Both of these count.

But just because events are likely to increase infections doesn't mean they will every single time.

And just because some probable spreader event did not increase infections does not mean that the whole science of epidemiology is wrong.

People who go are willing to accept that risk. They don’t care.
Get outside and take a look around. People are starting to move on with life.

Totally anecdotal, but my neighbor and his girlfriend were at Sturgis again this year. Two weeks ago, watched him get carted away in ambulance to Ames for Covid. Still in ICU. Girlfriend was vaccinated, still at their house, going to Ames everyday to visit. At this point, not sure if he will be coming home ever.

Totally anecdotal, but my neighbor and his girlfriend were at Sturgis again this year. Two weeks ago, watched him get carted away in ambulance to Ames for Covid. Still in ICU. Girlfriend was vaccinated, still at their house, going to Ames everyday to visit. At this point, not sure if he will be coming home ever.
Pic of girlfriend?

Too soon?

Reactions: Thunderlips71
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — In the space of a month, South Dakota has gone from a summer simmer of COVID-19 cases to a new pandemic surge rivaling those in other states. Why?

The Black Hills in western South Dakota is the epicenter of the state’s COVID-19 surge, according to a Forum News Service analysis of federal and state COVID-19 data.

The virus is likely surging in the Black Hills for two reasons: Relatively few people in the area have gotten vaccinated against COVID-19, making them a relatively easy target for the more contagious delta variant of the virus, and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which brought hundreds of thousands of people from around the country into close contact.

Think of it as a lit match touching dry tinder

Since the end of the 10-day Sturgis rally on Aug. 15, about 4,000 people have been newly diagnosed with COVID-19 in the state. That means the state has logged about 330 new case a day, 10 times higher than in July, with local hospitals struggling to keep up with the flood of severe cases.

Try again, OP?
Well, I'll go ahead and jinx Iowa and ask if anyone has started dying yet from attending the game last week, since a big stink was made by all the bandwagon fear mongers who latch onto any social media shaming that takes place in regards to people shunning covid to attend public events, whether masked or not or vaccinated or not.

Guess we'll find out by the end of the month.

Also, I'll jinx it by asking for Joe to give us an update on how many deaths come from the hospital next to Kinnick as a result of fans attending the game.

I'm sure he didn't need me to remind him. He'll be on as soon as the numbers become a problem so he can wag his finger and say "I told you so"...............and then leave without anything else to say.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Pre-Sturgis Covid hospitalizations: ~30
Post-Sturgis Covid hospitalizations: ~230

7.5x
Kind of a disingenuous portrayal of the numbers, no? Numbers were already on their way up prior to Sturgis (up near 60 at kickoff and over 90 the following week), account for several days before symptoms appear and they were already up over 100.

You can apply the same lazy portrayal with Obama's birthday-- Massachusetts was around 250 Pre- Obama Birthday Bash and up over 500 Post- Obama Birthday Bash. Did that account for 2x?

Just compare SD to the US and the patterns are parallel.

Last edited:
Well, I'll go ahead and jinx Iowa and ask if anyone has started dying yet from attending the game last week, since a big stink was made by all the bandwagon fear mongers who latch onto any social media shaming that takes place in regards to people shunning covid to attend public events, whether masked or not or vaccinated or not.

Guess we'll find out by the end of the month.

Also, I'll jinx it by asking for Joe to give us an update on how many deaths come from the hospital next to Kinnick as a result of fans attending the game.

I'm sure he didn't need me to remind him. He'll be on as soon as the numbers become a problem so he can wag his finger and say "I told you so"...............and then leave without anything else to say.
csb? I guess?

SD COVID stats
and SD is averaging 2 COVID deaths per day?
Did the whole super spreader prediction not happen?
Just returned from Florida. All is fine there as well just like it was last May. Media needs a new story to report or loves clinging on to this power grab Biden administration.

I just read a post on # of cases and deaths, are these accurate CDC stats for # of deaths for ages: 412 for 0 - 17, 3,043 from 18-29, 8,634 from 30-39, 22,232 from 40-49. If they are accurate then F it already. Flu is now called Covid.

• Haha
Kind of a disingenuous portrayal of the numbers, no? Numbers were already on their way up prior to Sturgis (up near 60 at kickoff and over 90 the following week)

If you're unable to see the very rapid ramp-up in their data, I cannot help you out here.

And Sturgis doesn't "just start on Opening Day"; people are heading into the area the last weeks of July. Cases and hospitalizations BOTH jumped markedly by Aug 10th.

Kind of a disingenuous portrayal of the numbers, no? Numbers were already on their way up prior to Sturgis (up near 60 at kickoff and over 90 the following week), account for several days before symptoms appear and they were already up over 100.

You can apply the same lazy portrayal with Obama's birthday-- Massachusetts was around 250 Pre- Obama Birthday Bash and up over 500 Post- Obama Birthday Bash. Did that account for 2x?

2x = 7.5x?

Not remotely the same patterns here

2x = 7.5x?
I am questioning the legitimacy of your 7.5x. You are putting their start at ~30 and I am saying it would have been closer to 100 (probably 130) before Sturgis could have had much impact on hospitalizations. Most people who are hospitalized have symptoms/positive test for 10-12 days before and that is on top of the incubation period which can last several days to >week. So now you are around 2-3 weeks out from seeing impacts of Sturgis.

Not remotely the same patterns here

South Dakota
  • Really begins May 2020
  • Peaks in mid/late November 2020
  • Large decrease in December/January 2021
  • Slight bump in April 2021
  • Nice gradual drop from April through July 2021
  • Sizeable jump beginning August (presumably Delta)
  • Appears to peak its second time early Sept 2021 (could be lag in data)
USA
  • Really begins April2020
  • Peaks in Early January 2021
  • Large decrease in Mid January/February 2021
  • Slight bump in April 2021
  • Nice gradual drop from April through June 2021
  • Sizeable jump beginning July (presumably Delta)
  • Appears to peak its second time early Sept 2021 (could be lag in data)
Slight difference in month due to variants, but the trends are the same.

B2iXR2-CYAASGwB.0.jpg_large
This has to be an old photo. I did some research and that is the Golden Boot trophy. Winner of Arkansas v LSU wins that trophy. The last time Arkansas won that game at home was 2014 so that picture is at least 7 years old.

This photo is Fake news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT