ADVERTISEMENT

So we're almost a month past the end of Sturgis

Your comment was on hospitalizations.

Hospitalizations follow case #'s.
So, as you can clearly see, the counties that attracted LOTS of Sturgis-goers had unusually high spikes in cases, didn't they?

#SuperSpreadEvents

Your comment was on hospitalizations.

If you bother to check that page out, the hospitalizations (all, and ICU) are on there.
And they spike dramatically in August.

In fact, in ALL of those far-western SD counties, hospitalizations are HIGHER than they were last winter right now.

Hospitalizations follow case #'s.
So, as you can clearly see, the counties that attracted LOTS of Sturgis-goers had unusually high spikes in cases, didn't they?

#SuperSpreadEvents
If you bother to check that page out, the hospitalizations (all, and ICU) are on there.
And they spike dramatically in August.

In fact, in ALL of those far-western SD counties, hospitalizations are HIGHER than they were last winter right now.
As is the case across all the US.

Hospitalization in the US:
  • July 1st = ~17K
  • August 1st = ~53K
  • September 1st = ~104K
Sturgis is also next door to Custer Park and Mt Rushmore who see their busiest seasons in July and August.

My point isn't to say Sturgis didn't cause additional cases/hospitalizations/deaths, my point all along was your numbers to get to your 7.5x number for hospitalizations before and after Sturgis are incorrect-- as you were clearly trying to illustrate that Sturgis was a large (or larger) factor than it really was. My point is, you wouldn't see hospitalizations caused by Sturgis until August 15th at the earliest, probably closer to the 21st (accounts for people arriving a week early). All of a sudden your number goes from 7.5x down to ~2x. and that is for the entire state of South Dakota and comes at a time when the US as a whole started to see spikes.

Last edited:
As is the case across all the US.

Hospitalization in the US:
  • July 1st = ~17K
  • August 1st = ~53K
  • September 1st = ~104K
Sturgis is also next door to Custer Park and Mt Rushmore who see their busiest seasons in July and August.

My point isn't to say Sturgis didn't cause additional cases/hospitalizations/deaths, my point all along was your numbers to get to your 7.5x number for hospitalizations before and after Sturgis are incorrect-- as you were clearly trying to illustrate that Sturgis was a large (or larger) factor than it really was. My point is, you wouldn't see hospitalizations caused by Sturgis until August 15th at the earliest, probably closer to the 21st (accounts for people arriving a week early). All of a sudden your number goes from 7.5x down to ~2x. and that is for the entire state of South Dakota and comes at a time when the US as a whole started to see spikes.

No; Sturgis caused massive spikes in a couple counties; most of the rest of SD has seen FAR more gradual increases.

that ain't on "Rushmore"....

nHeNH97.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT