ADVERTISEMENT

So... what exactly is HBOT's ruling on "cool" men's shorts?

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
Denim cutoffs are obviously out.

Cargo shorts get a lot of hate around here.

Basketball shorts? No place for your phone, keys, lighters, smokes....

Men's dress shorts? No....

WTF are we supposed to wear when it's in the 90s and you want to look cool AND be cool?

I have a couple pairs of Eddie Bauer First Ascent shorts that have side pockets, but they're concealed. All you see is a zipper. They're not nearly as bulky as traditional cargo shorts. I've also got a couple pairs of Arc'teryx Gammas that are very similar to the EBs, but cost a lot more.

Reactions: billanole
I don't know if it's possible to look "cool" in shorts in most situations if you're over the age of 30.

I think people run into trouble with shorts when they wear crew or boot socks with them. That seems to be a staple of old people. Shorts look much better with no-show or low-cut socks, IMO. Sandals or flip-flops are even better.

WTF are we supposed to wear when it's in the 90s and you want to look cool AND be cool?
I most certainly do not look cool, but I pay attention to those that look horrible and know what not to wear. I’m 53. Anything below the knee looks like I’m trying too hard. I prefer mine to hit just above the knee. I don’t wear athletic shorts in public, but have plenty for lounging around the house. Years ago I wore cargo, but damn those things are heavy and look awful.

Over the last 5 years or so I wear hybrid shorts, brands like Veece, Hurley, BKE or Maven. Quality is great and they last for years. Hybrid for me are prefect as we have a pool and spend a lot of time on the lake n the summer months.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
I think people run into trouble with shorts when they wear crew or boot socks with them. That seems to be a staple of old people. Shorts look much better with no-show or low-cut socks, IMO. Sandals or flip-flops are even better.

I agree whole heartedly, but would add; outside of athletics and water activities there will always be a sacrifice of the cool factor for comfort.

But full disclosure, I sorta dig gen z's affinity for high tops and crew socks and also regularly look like a dork when I wear shorts. I'm just not under the impression that I look sharp while doing it.

I most certainly do not look cool, but I pay attention to those that look horrible and know what not to wear. I’m 53. Anything below the knee looks like I’m trying too hard. I prefer mine to hit just above the knee. I don’t wear athletic shorts in public, but have plenty for lounging around the house. Years ago I wore cargo, but damn those things are heavy and look awful.

Over the last 5 years or so I wear hybrid shorts, brands like Veece, Hurley, BKE or Maven. Quality is great and they last for years. Hybrid for me are prefect as we have a pool and spend a lot of time on the lake n the summer months.

I have a couple pairs of Northface hybrid shorts that I love for hiking. Zippered pockets and a key ring in the pocket have probably saved me from losing my stuff while being active more than once.

Reactions: billanole

If you must consider whether you look cool (or not) you will most definitely not look cool.

Cargo shorts are my go to and haters can suck it. Way more practical and comfortable than golf shorts.
I wear a cargo style around the house, publix, etc.
I really like the feel/material of pfg’s.
I know they are designed for fishing but i like them for casual.

Reactions: jasonrann
2Z143022FBAlt1_W
Orvis

I wear Columbia, Kühl, or Duluth Trading. They're comfortable, will last forever, and I'm at that point in life where I could gaf if they look "cool" or not.

Reactions: lucas80
Peter Millar golf shorts in a multitude of colors with Allbirds shoes. Need a fitted t shirt to finish off the look. Sounds like most of you look like dorks w/ your attire.

As a woman who notices what men are wearing and lives in a hot climate, shorts are what I consider normal everyday wear for a guy.
And with NO SOCKS.
Boat shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops or sandals - again no socks.
Guys who wear socks with shorts and then make it worse by tucking in their shirt and using a belt just scream “I’m from up North”.
Now if you live in the North the rules are different and that’s understandable because warm weather is short and socks are worn daily. They still look weird IMO but at least you’re in your native habitat.
And finally if you have on a golf shirt NEVER pop the collar. EVER.

Golf shorts.

A cheap option is Wrangler hiking shorts. Find them at Walmart and they are comfortable as hell and breathe.

[Link

I am pretty much forced to wear shoes to provide arch support. Plus I golf so much that I have a tan line at my low cut socks.

In the end, I'm old, I don't give a shit what people think.

Reactions: Scott559

birddogs kahki shorts are my favorite. I own a handful of pairs in different colors. They come with a built in liner which I enjoy more than I thought I would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT