ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Fran Fatigue - it's real, but is it fair?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Meant to post this yesterday, but got busy with snow bullshit.

A (fairly) rare basketball column from me:

"Fran Fatigue" is real - but is it fair?​

Iowa men's basketball has a fanbase problem​

TORY BRECHT
JAN 9, 2024

Friday night I will drive up to Iowa City after work, find a fantastic parking spot close to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, go to my assigned season ticket seats and then pick among thousands of better, closer seats to watch the rebuilding men’s basketball team compete against Nebraska.

There will likely be between 6,000 and 8,000 fellow fans in the cavernous, 15,000-plus capacity arena, despite it being a coveted weekend home game.

Sparse crowds are an all-too familiar sight when the men play at Carver-Hawkeye Arena these days.

The contrast with the raucous, sold-out whether at home or on the road women’s basketball program couldn’t be starker, and that’s understandable. Iowa women’s basketball is a legit national title contender led by an incandescent, generational star. The men are hovering near the bottom of the Big 10 standings, don’t look like an NCAA tournament team right now and have never managed to get past the first weekend of that tournament under Coach Fran McCaffery.

That said, the fan apathy towards Iowa basketball is neither productive nor – in my opinion – warranted. It further cements the reputation of the Iowa basketball fan base as fair weather and makes McCaffery’s recruiting sales pitch (and thus Iowa’s future potential) more difficult.

With Keegan and Kris Murray both moving on to the NBA early, this was always shaping up to be a rebuilding year. Iowa is not a blue blood, plug-and-play type program. Much like football, it is developmental. While this team’s problems may prevent it from being NCAA caliber, it does not lack in entertainment value. Like most McCaffery team, it plays a fast pace, scores a ton and produces plenty of dunks and deep three pointers.

The freshman duo of Owen Freeman and Brock Harding is intriguing, with Freeman already stacking up Freshman of the Week hardware and Harding being lauded by unbiased announcers as perhaps the purest passer in the conference already, as a frosh. Tony Perkins can be inconsistent, but as the kids today say, has that “dawg” in him and backs down to no one. Payton Sandfort can get absolutely torch-hot from three. New transfer center/forward Ben Krikke is a scoring machine, despite being undersized. They also seem like a likeable bunch, good citizens on and off the court and have affection for their coach.

Speaking of affection for the coach, this to me is the crux of the problem. Whether it’s due to his emotional outbursts on the sideline or lack of NCAA tournament success, it is increasingly apparent that many Iowa fans plain don’t like Fran McCaffery. This is particularly jarring when you realize that among basketball experts, opposing coaches and others around the game, he is far more respected and liked than among Iowa fans themselves.

The “failures” of Iowa’s men’s basketball are far from profound and pretty much every season McCaffery puts out an entertaining, winning product that finishes in the conference higher than sportswriters predict. His teams typically feature highly skilled (often nationally recognized) individual talents. And yet, there is dwindling support and interest from fans. I believe it must be antipathy for the coach, because objectively, Iowa fans have supported worse products better in the past, in nearly every sport.

I hate that I’m coming to this conclusion, but I’m beginning to believe we won’t see the needle move significantly on fan engagement with men’s basketball until the McCaffery era ends. I think that’s a shame because he has been a very solid builder and maintainer of the program – even if his post-season success has failed to deliver the way we’d like.

I hope this doesn’t come across as being the “fan police” – enjoy Iowa sports how you choose. I just find it frustrating because the only way Iowa will find more post-season success is by attracting better talent. Talented players want to play in front of big, enthusiastic crowds. In much of the McCaffery era, that simply hasn’t existed – even when he’s had All-Americans and teams that finished Top 4 in the Big 10.

I readily admit I’m a basketball junkie and will risk life-and-limb on icy Interstate 80 to make every home game I can. I recognize this makes me a bit of an anomaly these days.

However, if you can’t support the team you allege to be a fan of, you also can’t really expect them to improve either.

"this was always shaping up to be a rebuilding year."

For sure. It's amplified by the fact that this is the final year some athletes can use their COVID eligibility. We have opponent 23 year olds absolutely murdering our freshman players. It's just physical matchups.

That being said, winning fixes things. People will put up with Fran when he's winning. However, whenever he's not winning his antics are boring and tiresome. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing the team start to climb back in the game, only for Fran to get T'd up and ejected and put the game entirely out of reach.

Thank you for this Wednesday with Worbee.

I enjoy watching Iowa baskethoops on the television and I basically never miss a game. IMO this year's team is pretty boring to watch, and I think that's fine. There are some young pieces that will be solid players by the end of the year. Especially Freeman. For me the team seems boring for two reasons. There is no clear floor leader, and we had a streak of some really fun players to watch in recent years so we were a bit spoiled.

Also the defense is still ass and will always be under Fran which amplifies frustrations when the offense isn't high powered.

Nepotism? CMac and now PMac? I'm not sold that Iowa "fans" dislike Fmac, but I am sure that given the talent levels the last 5-6 years with Garza, Joe W, and the twins "fans" expected more in the way of tourney success. Which leads back to having Cmac ahead of Keegan, and Pmac ahead of Kris.

So, I doubt it is dislike and more frustration. In regards to this years team, maybe they can right the ship and go on a run of sorts. Pat had an "illness" vs RU but was on the bench. Is he going through more problems like he had last year? Posted that Q on the bball board as to when Pat went down last year and it was basically the same time frame.

Is he going through more problems like he had last year? Posted that Q on the bball board as to when Pat went down last year and it was basically the same time frame.
I wondered the same thing. Interestingly, in the game thread during the UW game, I mentioned that perhaps it was time for Patrick to take another mental health break - as he clearly seemed a bit disengaged and struggling.

Nepotism? CMac and now PMac? I'm not sold that Iowa "fans" dislike Fmac, but I am sure that given the talent levels the last 5-6 years with Garza, Joe W, and the twins "fans" expected more in the way of tourney success. Which leads back to having Cmac ahead of Keegan, and Pmac ahead of Kris.

So, I doubt it is dislike and more frustration. In regards to this years team, maybe they can right the ship and go on a run of sorts. Pat had an "illness" vs RU but was on the bench. Is he going through more problems like he had last year? Posted that Q on the bball board as to when Pat went down last year and it was basically the same time frame.

I wish this team had CMac. PMac can retire right now and I would be happy with it. The really team looks better when he isn't on the floor.

To me it comes down to three things - still a hangover from when Alford and Lick tried to kill the program, lack of any NCAA success despite the great success in bringing in Murray, Murray, Garza, Joe W, etc, and the failure - whether intentional or unintentional - to improve the defense.

We are 122 in defensive efficiency.

If it keeps happening every year, much like the Iowa football offense, it tells me as a fan that they either don’t know how to improve the D or they don’t care.

I thank Fran for getting us out of the Lickliter ditch, but its time to move on.

His style of play has been shown statistically to be unable to advance in the NCAA tournament. This is common knowledge, but he keeps the same system. The very definition of insanity.

Fan interest is low. Fran is passing Dr. Tom, etc. this year.

The time is right.

Hello Coach Matt Gatens.

I thank Fran for getting us out of the Lickliter ditch, but its time to move on.

His style of play has been shown statistically to be unable to advance in the NCAA tournament. This is common knowledge, but he keeps the same system. The very definition of insanity.

The time is right.

Hello Coach Matt Gatens.
Gatens won't be head coach.

@St. Louis Hawk - it's been 18 (?) yrs since Alford left, and 15 (?) since Lick left. You really can't hang the apathy hat on those 2 anymore.

To me it comes down to three things - still a hangover from when Alford and Lick tried to kill the program, lack of any NCAA success despite the great success in bringing in Murray, Murray, Garza, Joe W, etc, and the failure - whether intentional or unintentional - to improve the defense.

We are 122 in defensive efficiency.

If it keeps happening every year, much like the Iowa football offense, it tells me as a fan that they either don’t know how to improve the D or they don’t care.

Fans have been crying for years for them to bring in any assistant that knows how to do defense. I don't think Fran is interested.

I am pretty sure Fran is trying to run positionless basketball that needs freedom of movement which doesn't exist in B1G play or the tournament the last couple of years. Frans teams can't hang with physical teams.

Gatens won't be head coach.

@St. Louis Hawk - it's been 18 (?) yrs since Alford left, and 15 (?) since Lick left. You really can't hang the apathy hat on those 2 anymore.
We need to bring in DeVries from Drake if Fran goes. I've been a staunch Fran supporter but our pitiful defense and early tourney bounces every year I'm fatigued.

Everyone knows what they’re going to get and unlike prior years, we don’t have a star to lean on.

And no one has any faith of doing anything in the tourney since we couldn’t do anything when we had Garza and the Murray’s.

Everyone knows what they’re going to get and unlike prior years, we don’t have a star to lean on.

And no one has any faith of doing anything in the tourney since we couldn’t do anything when we had Garza and the Murray’s.
Huh.

Who was coaching those first team All-Americans/first round draft picks?

Reactions: Moral

The time is right.

Hello Coach Matt Gatens.
Hello Coach Devries

Reactions: Bierhalter
Yes it is. They are both coming from the same conference.

Tom Izzo was never a HC until he took over from Jud.
Lol he has been consistent at DRAKE for 5+ seasons. Besides Kenos one year run they were trash since the 1960 Final 4 team.

"But is it fair?"

giphy.gif

Reactions: CarterHall
I think Goetz might shake things up when she is permanently hired. I mean, Iowa MBB could go on a wild run but it certainly appears unlikely. My early impression is that Goetz is not opposed to making bold moves in order to improve Iowa athletics.

This. If we're going to let go of the winningest Iowa basketball coach of all time in the big ten, let's not replace him with someone that's never been a head coach.

I'd be totally fine if DeVries stepped in.
He can flat out Coach and retool a roster. His first year they had 2 or so scholarship players and they were competitive after he scrambled and retooled during the off-season. He can build rosters and flat out Coach. With BIG resources he'd do well. And he's done so well people are used to Drake being good. They were shit for nearly 50 years before him.

I see this a lot, but frankly, I totally disagree. The NCAA tournament is such a crapshoot and based on so much luck, matchups, whether your team is hot or not, etc., etc.

It's like the baseball playoffs - get your "ticket" (i.e. get an invite) and see what happens --- like buying a lotto ticket.

People forget Iowa was a couple missed free throws away from a Sweet 16 with one of Fran's WEAKEST NCAA tournament teams.

I see this a lot, but frankly, I totally disagree. The NCAA tournament is such a crapshoot and based on so much luck, matchups, whether your team is hot or not, etc., etc.

It's like the baseball playoffs - get your "ticket" (i.e. get an invite) and see what happens --- like buying a lotto ticket.

People forget Iowa was a couple missed free throws away from a Sweet 16 with one of Fran's WEAKEST NCAA tournament teams.
- never ran a lap or made a layup

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT