ADVERTISEMENT

So... what exactly is HBOT's ruling on "cool" men's shorts?

Old style cargo shorts are pretty bad. Newer, less baggy, are functional and look better. With the others on Duluth, synthetic golf or hiking style. But I have to try them on since I have long legs.

However I don't put a ton of stock in "cool" so may be wrong to ask.

Reactions: win4jj and goldmom
I wear shorts all the time when it's warm/hot out. Really, what's the big deal about it? No, don't wear jorts or cargos. If it's casual just simple gym type shorts and a sleeveless/t-shirt, and if not a decent camp or polo with what I like to call "dress shorts" (shorts that I can wear a belt with). Shoes that don't necessarily need socks (or sandals) but if you do need them, socks that are thin and no-show as much as possible.

It's not that hard, guys. If you're afraid of what others might say...f 'em. Hell, I have not once in my lifetime had someone give me crap about shorts that I've worn.

We're not talking about a job interview here or a day at the office. Wear what you want to wear.

I beg to differ.

Kuhl khakis shorts and/or some 5 to 7 inch athletic shorts for lounging or working out.

Age is just a number, unless you're fat...then it shows.

Interesting, I would have guessed you to be more of a pleated khaki guy.

You're an enigma northern. An enigma that apparently appreciates the feel of an exposed sideleg in public as much as I do.

• Love
Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
Everything you said EXCEPT this.....
Sorry that was my mistake. I agree sbout tennies need something but I think the “footie style” you’d wear with golf shoes is best unless they’re slip on canvas boats. Then no socks.
So used to the Florida look which so many guys here wear:
Well worn khaki shorts just at top of knee, a somewhat faded but clean tee shirt either solid or a school or fun logo and flip flops, ball cap optional.
Dress up is a very nice ironed khaki white or navy bermudas with a pastel Oxford shirt - long sleeve rolled up twice just below the elbow worn untucked.
Nice sunglasses and you’re done. 😍

Denim cutoffs are obviously out.

Cargo shorts get a lot of hate around here.

Basketball shorts? No place for your phone, keys, lighters, smokes....

Men's dress shorts? No....

WTF are we supposed to wear when it's in the 90s and you want to look cool AND be cool?
Get some leg muscles, then most shorts look better. 😜💪

Reactions: jasonrann
Kore shorts by Vuori. They’re comfortable and are good tennis shorts, as well. Cool-factor is probably pretty low. Who really cares???

Sorry that was my mistake. I agree sbout tennies need something but I think the “footie style” you’d wear with golf shoes is best unless they’re slip on canvas boats. Then no socks.
So used to the Florida look which so many guys here wear:
Well worn khaki shorts just at top of knee, a somewhat faded but clean tee shirt either solid or a school or fun logo and flip flops, ball cap optional.
Dress up is a very nice ironed khaki white or navy bermudas with a pastel Oxford shirt - long sleeve rolled up twice just below the elbow worn untucked.
Nice sunglasses and you’re done. 😍
Not bad but i’ve never and will never wear long sleeve shirt with shorts.
Its nice golf or Tommy B shirt for me.

I got long toothpick legs so it doesn’t really matter. I wear athletic shorts while coaching. Any other shorts I wear are whatever the no pic wife buys for me.

Avoid these and you're good:

516NmY28n+L._AC_UY1000_.jpg

jackjones-loosefitcargoshorts-green.jpg

3e07eac0-1681-4049-b693-b85a1e83cb06.dab81097e1f48111c769810fc4768c28.jpeg

I typically were these (7" inseam):

0c1cfd68-28fa-4890-9d37-2b0d7126ca1d.39a66f931e093f2de3dfb934fde0915d.jpeg

or these (9"inseam):
cn53225296.jpg

Reactions: seminoleed
Avoid these and you're good:

516NmY28n+L._AC_UY1000_.jpg

jackjones-loosefitcargoshorts-green.jpg

3e07eac0-1681-4049-b693-b85a1e83cb06.dab81097e1f48111c769810fc4768c28.jpeg

I typically were these (7" inseam):

0c1cfd68-28fa-4890-9d37-2b0d7126ca1d.39a66f931e093f2de3dfb934fde0915d.jpeg

or these (9"inseam):
cn53225296.jpg
Top one = Miami fan
Second one = socks? DOA on the style train.
Middle one shorts are good but tee needs to be out.
Bottom two uh no.
Wear your tee or pullover with the Hawkeye logo and you’ll be fine.

I am guessing you are a denim cargo shorts, lightly acid washed with a braided leather belt that is about 9 inches too long guy. Paired with your infamous boat shoes. Likely a polo from the discount rack at Kohl’s or Sam’s Club. Honestly I don’t hate it.
Or Goodwill. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Now I'm getting Kuhl shorts ads on insta... Thanks guys.

My utility shorts are Patagonia 5" baggies. Quick drying, deep pockets, have internal webbing. Mix of fun patterns and basic solids. Branding/logos are not too prominent. Durable and long lasting. Probably have seven or eight pairs.
I always have a pair or two of Patagonia in the lineup. They last for decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT