ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Fran Fatigue - it's real, but is it fair?

Well, we do live in today's college basketball, for better or worse (worse, in my opinion).

I, too, miss college basketball of the 80s and 90s. Upperclassmen-dominated rosters. Storylines years in the making. Rivalries felt really important and consequential. Precocious underclassmen — felt like even the best of them had to pay their dues a bit. And, of course, you weren't spoiled by the ability to watch every single game on TV.

But the main reason I wanted to respond to your post? As a guy who played A LOT of basketball with Cherokee Parks, while he was an NBA player, suggesting his and Freeman's games are similar is just weird, IMO. Pretty sure there's only one Cherokee Parks, too, so I'm confident I'm not mistaken in who you're referencing.

Anyways, crack a beer and just train your eyes on Payton Sandfort. Tap into your sense of humor in doing so.
I said a poor man's cherokee parks. Maybe I should have said a homeless man's cherokee parks.

Also, nice humblebrag on playing with Cherokee parks, although its not bragging if you can back it up! I remember you posting under another name although I can't remember what it was. Sonderleiter? Anyway, I recall you have played a shit ton of basketball and coach it, so I respect your opinion. My opinion is my initial one made with Torbee: the heart wants what it wants. Right now, it does not want Iowa men's BB.

Last edited:
Without revealing how/why I know . . . your cousin's comments are spot on. Let's just say that how Millard remained eligible would have likely gotten the Iowa men's basketball program in some trouble; but wouldn't get the UNC men's basketball program in trouble.
He was dyslexic correct. Didn’t he spend a semester at Loras taking a bunch of filler classes to get the gpa up to at least borderline? Most likely an undiagnosed or at least mental condition that he and fam wanted kept private.

Reactions: torbee
Fair or not, the Fran Fatigue is certainly real. I do not think it can be fixed until a new coach is hired. Many of my friends do not watch anymore and say they don't know how I can do it. They lost all interest. I know a few that went to the women's game at The Well but skipped the men's. It is odd to me that Fran and/or the U of I doesn't seem to do much to generate student and other fan interest. it astounds me the Sandfort and Dix can be as scrawny as they are with a couple years in the program. And the athleticism is usually lacking vs most other teams. They do compensate for it often and beat teams that it appears they won't. Just a baffling system where you can't defend and you can't rebound.

I said a poor man's cherokee parks. Maybe I should have said a homeless man's cherokee parks.

Also, nice humblebrag on playing with Cherokee parks, although its not bragging if you can back it up! I remember you posting under another name although I can't remember what it was. Sonderleiter? Anyway, I recall you have played a shit ton of basketball and coach it, so I respect your opinion. My opinion is my initial one made with Torbee: the heart wants what it wants. Right now, it does not want Iowa men's BB.
It's not the level, it's the style. They don't play alike. Entirely different games, different approaches to the game.

My avatar is a dead giveaway. @Rudolph

Reactions: Moral
It's not the level, it's the style. They don't play alike. Entirely different games, different approaches to the game.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

• Love
Reactions: srams21 and OhAdam
Everyone knows what they’re going to get and unlike prior years, we don’t have a star to lean on.

And no one has any faith of doing anything in the tourney since we couldn’t do anything when we had Garza and the Murray’s.
You won't have to worry about the team failing to make the second weekend of the tourney this year.

I'm no expert by any means, but Freeman does remind me a bit of a slightly shorter Hunter Dickinson.
Are you fuggers trolling me. Hunter doesn't jump, moves like the version of Arvydas Sabonis (sp) that the NBA got, shoots threes, or molasses his way into a little hook shot.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I'll probably get crucified for this, but his footwork and balance kind of remind me a little bit of a Kevin McHale - though far, far from as polished and accomplished.
He does have good footwork and balance for a youngster. I haven't seen a reverse pivot or up and under yet. You know, he's not far off from Keegan Murray before Keegan went out and started playing more wing.

He does have good footwork and balance for a youngster. I haven't seen a reverse pivot or up and under yet. You know, he's not far off from Keegan Murray before Keegan went out and started playing more wing.
What about a Les Jepsen comp?

Reactions: OhAdam
Gonna dig deep with this one, test out some memories; Freeman reminds me of former Saint Mary’s player Omar Samhan.

Might as well throw in a Brunner reference. Owen is Brunner plus 18 inches because I stood near Greg at a gas station and I’m a little over 6’1” and Greg couldn’t be more than 5’5” if that.

SIAP.

• Haha
Reactions: Moral and torbee
Meant to post this yesterday, but got busy with snow bullshit.

A (fairly) rare basketball column from me:

"Fran Fatigue" is real - but is it fair?​

Iowa men's basketball has a fanbase problem​

TORY BRECHT
JAN 9, 2024

Friday night I will drive up to Iowa City after work, find a fantastic parking spot close to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, go to my assigned season ticket seats and then pick among thousands of better, closer seats to watch the rebuilding men’s basketball team compete against Nebraska.

There will likely be between 6,000 and 8,000 fellow fans in the cavernous, 15,000-plus capacity arena, despite it being a coveted weekend home game.

Sparse crowds are an all-too familiar sight when the men play at Carver-Hawkeye Arena these days.

The contrast with the raucous, sold-out whether at home or on the road women’s basketball program couldn’t be starker, and that’s understandable. Iowa women’s basketball is a legit national title contender led by an incandescent, generational star. The men are hovering near the bottom of the Big 10 standings, don’t look like an NCAA tournament team right now and have never managed to get past the first weekend of that tournament under Coach Fran McCaffery.

That said, the fan apathy towards Iowa basketball is neither productive nor – in my opinion – warranted. It further cements the reputation of the Iowa basketball fan base as fair weather and makes McCaffery’s recruiting sales pitch (and thus Iowa’s future potential) more difficult.

With Keegan and Kris Murray both moving on to the NBA early, this was always shaping up to be a rebuilding year. Iowa is not a blue blood, plug-and-play type program. Much like football, it is developmental. While this team’s problems may prevent it from being NCAA caliber, it does not lack in entertainment value. Like most McCaffery team, it plays a fast pace, scores a ton and produces plenty of dunks and deep three pointers.

The freshman duo of Owen Freeman and Brock Harding is intriguing, with Freeman already stacking up Freshman of the Week hardware and Harding being lauded by unbiased announcers as perhaps the purest passer in the conference already, as a frosh. Tony Perkins can be inconsistent, but as the kids today say, has that “dawg” in him and backs down to no one. Payton Sandfort can get absolutely torch-hot from three. New transfer center/forward Ben Krikke is a scoring machine, despite being undersized. They also seem like a likeable bunch, good citizens on and off the court and have affection for their coach.

Speaking of affection for the coach, this to me is the crux of the problem. Whether it’s due to his emotional outbursts on the sideline or lack of NCAA tournament success, it is increasingly apparent that many Iowa fans plain don’t like Fran McCaffery. This is particularly jarring when you realize that among basketball experts, opposing coaches and others around the game, he is far more respected and liked than among Iowa fans themselves.

The “failures” of Iowa’s men’s basketball are far from profound and pretty much every season McCaffery puts out an entertaining, winning product that finishes in the conference higher than sportswriters predict. His teams typically feature highly skilled (often nationally recognized) individual talents. And yet, there is dwindling support and interest from fans. I believe it must be antipathy for the coach, because objectively, Iowa fans have supported worse products better in the past, in nearly every sport.

I hate that I’m coming to this conclusion, but I’m beginning to believe we won’t see the needle move significantly on fan engagement with men’s basketball until the McCaffery era ends. I think that’s a shame because he has been a very solid builder and maintainer of the program – even if his post-season success has failed to deliver the way we’d like.

I hope this doesn’t come across as being the “fan police” – enjoy Iowa sports how you choose. I just find it frustrating because the only way Iowa will find more post-season success is by attracting better talent. Talented players want to play in front of big, enthusiastic crowds. In much of the McCaffery era, that simply hasn’t existed – even when he’s had All-Americans and teams that finished Top 4 in the Big 10.

I readily admit I’m a basketball junkie and will risk life-and-limb on icy Interstate 80 to make every home game I can. I recognize this makes me a bit of an anomaly these days.

However, if you can’t support the team you allege to be a fan of, you also can’t really expect them to improve either.

Have to say...pretty impeccable timing with this piece.

The last couple performances have been their best of the season.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Recruiting is okay, but there isn't one kid on tis Iowa team that will sniff the NBA other than maybe Freeman and he is 50/50 at this point.

Recruiting at Iowa now is all about developing kids, like the Iowa FB does.
What Fran needs is a “go to guy”...He has had the CPOY the past 4 years...but not this year. When this team shoots and passes well, they are a pretty decent team. They aren’t experienced/big enough to be dangerous “inside” right now...
There will be nights they have you jumping up and down, and nights where they will have you shaking your head.
Fran really has the respect of his players...and honestly guys, that is what is needed. I’m sure he has faults, as we all do...but I have NEVER heard anyone...player or friend of UIowa, who has ever disparaged him as a person.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT