ADVERTISEMENT

Some Positives Gleaned from Game 1

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
Here are some of my observations from the game ... that supply some reasons for optimism (albeit, measured optimism):
  • Deshaun Lee acquitted himself quite well ... solid play for a RS FR
  • Pass pro was WAY better in game 1 than pretty much at any point over the prior 2 years (yes ... run-game was meh ... but pass-pro was definitely important)
  • Not a shocker ... but TEs seemed to live up to their billing
  • I like Cade's confidence. He's happy to wing it ... and Iowa is willing to put faith on his arm.
  • Obviously, on an individual level, Jay was impressive. I'm curious about his communication ... hopefully it was equally as good.
  • Entringer played really solid for the game being his first true opportunity to see extended action. When X left ... Koen came in for him. The lesson there is that we have some darn fine safeties in the DB room!
  • I liked what I saw from Black ... he seems like he's taking advantage of his opportunity as a starting DT.
  • Boy was Graves active. Still obviously has a ton of room for improvement too. I'm excited to see him continue to make strides.
  • Even with a closer-than-expected game ... Coach Bell still rotated through a good number of guys on the DL. While the DL play wasn't as dominant as I'd hope for, I think that they'll continue to improve. Part of this will also be a reflection of improvement by Higgins too. The more Jay gets guys set up right ... the more productive the guys on the DL will be.
  • Lastly, I like the confidence of Seth (the WR). The Hawks desperately needs the WR room to make some demonstrable strides.

Here are some of my observations from the game ... that supply some reasons for optimism (albeit, measured optimism):
  • Pass pro was WAY better in game 1 than pretty much at any point over the prior 2 years (yes ... run-game was meh ... but pass-pro was definitely important)
  • I like Cade's confidence. He's happy to wing it ... and Iowa is willing to put faith on his arm.
  • Obviously, on an individual level, Jay was impressive. I'm curious about his communication ... hopefully it was equally as good.
  • Entringer played really solid for the game being his first true opportunity to see extended action. When X left ... Koen came in for him. The lesson there is that we have some darn fine safeties in the DB room!
  • I liked what I saw from Black ... he seems like he's taking advantage of his opportunity as a starting DT.
  • Boy was Graves active. Still obviously has a ton of room for improvement too. I'm excited to see him continue to make strides.
  • Even with a closer-than-expected game ... Coach Bell still rotated through a good number of guys on the DL. While the DL play wasn't as dominant as I'd hope for, I think that they'll continue to improve. Part of this will also be a reflection of improvement by Higgins too. The more Jay gets guys set up right ... the more productive the guys on the DL will be.
  • Lastly, I like the confidence of Seth (the WR). The Hawks desperately needs the WR room to make some demonstrable strides.

That’s what I saw….

DL lost gap integrity way too much. Easily fixable though!

Poor angles but veterans, will be fixed!

Lee missed a couple big tackles (one on 3rd & 9ish) that lead to a FG if memory serves. Also fixable and was his first game!

Jackson also played like it was his 1st game in a new scheme. Also fixable….

Pass blocking was really, really good and anyone that keeps disputing that as a major upgrade clearly just has a coach agenda.

WR drops I believe will be better, Rags and Lachey are ordinarily reliable.

Interior blocking….maybe not 🤷‍♂️

Best news ... only 11 games or so left of this garbage. And 1 year closer to end of Ferentz fraud.

I thought Wetjen was a real positive as well...
kid has a lot of speed and when the run blocking improves, those jet sweeps will be extra effective..
plus... he got screwed out of a touchdown

thankfully it didn’t matter, but I was surprised they didn’t take a second look at the last one. Not positive he was in or out, but sure looked close.

Yeah, he was in for 3 plays, all jets to him? I think they are going to have to utilize him better than "jet sweep guy".

Pretty sure he was in for 4 snaps.

Got the ball 3 times.

Will take a elite defensive coordinator to figure this one out.

thankfully it didn’t matter, but I was surprised they didn’t take a second look at the last one. Not positive he was in or out, but sure looked close.

Yes, as well as the Lachey catch short of the 1st. It was odd, we really just went through the motions to a degree.

Reading an article on ESPN regarding overreacting (and I find ESPN, negative on Iowa & the Big 10) they mentioned Iowa and not overreacting to their Offense.

They clearly played different and “coached” different. It was odd. It was clear they thought they had everything in hand 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: sober_teacher
Get Brian Allen more snaps at D-end especially on passing downs, and really like Castro at cash he is always solid

Not sure they can do that Higgins was an animal and calls the plays, Jackson’s issue I believe was comfortability with the scheme .
Jack got beat on the wide seam for big yardage. Didn't play it very well.

But Utah St. used a ton of spread. When Harris is back and against better teams he will be on one of the top receivers and Castro will be in for Jackson at cash to cover the slot

Reactions: cmhawks99
Many aspects of the game against Utah State reminded me of the 2008 game against Maine. It's true that we shellacked them ... but they were a far inferior team compared to Utah State.

The thing that stuck out to me in that game was that we fared more poorly (defensively) against the run than I'd expect for an Iowa team. Maine's top RBs got over 100 yards in that game and averaged around 5 yards per carry. Similarly, against Utah State ... their success running the ball was better than is ideal. Their pass-game had success ... but that's somewhat to be expected given that Lee was seeing his first career start. Also, X is still young ... so there's bound to be SOME errors there.

Hopefully as the newer DBs gain experience, as we get to work Harris back into the mix, and as Jackson gets more used to playing within our scheme ... I think that we'll see the Hawks tighten things up significantly on D.

The DL obviously had some issues too. They have to make sure that they squeeze the gaps a little more ... and keep the LBs even more clean.

It's never a bad thing when a team wins and still has plenty of good tape to learn from.

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT