ADVERTISEMENT

Something you have never done but want to…

I may have bitten off more than I can chew here lol. You've got volts, amps, and ohms. Those are the holy trinity of electricity. Think of voltage as pressure, amps as flow and ohms as resistance(load). You plug something in, turn it on and it does something. The some thing is the resistance, the amps flow to make the something happen and the volts determine the amount of something happening. That’s probably not the best explanation but I’m buzzed up and that’s the best I can do right now lol. Seriously though, if yoiu have a specific questions I’ll do my best.
The whole concept is a brain block to me. You’re fighting a losing battle.

How does a spinning turbine make “electricity” miles and miles away? How is it “stored”? Batteries are magic as far as I’m concerned.

I think a distant relative of mine was electrocuted and I’m burdened with electricity understanding gap.

Kinda mine here, too.

I've never had the desire to "travel". I mean in a touristy way. But I do want to simply get in a car and drive around the American West. Say a national parks tour kind of thing for a month.

Grand Canyon and Yosemite mainly. Hit up Monument Valley and Yellowstone on my way there. That's really it. No desire to "see the world" because we got some pretty incredible things right here.

I just hope we don't destroy them before I get there (the plan is sometime around 2030).

We'll see.
Do it. I’ve done a good bit of it and loved every second of it. Our NP’s are incredible.

How does a spinning turbine make “electricity” miles and miles away? How is it “stored”? Batteries are magic as far as I’m concerned.

I think a distant relative of mine was electrocuted and I’m burdened with electricity understanding gap.
Power generation is transported over high voltage lines via transformers. Think of a supercharger, speeds up movement at dangerous levels, then it’s stepped down by transformers again to a usable level. Batteries are a little more difficult to explain as that gets way more “sciency” lol.

Reactions: like-woahh
Nice. What states and countries have you been to?

I've been to about 30 states. The furthest west I've been is New Mexico:

Canada
Mexico
Costa Rica
Bahamas
Curacao
Jamaica
Cayman Islands
Brazil
China (favorite trip)
Ukraine
Spain
States, probably 15-20. I wouldn’t count drive throughs, otherwise way more. Countries:
‘Iceland
‘Canada
Mexico
Ireland
Jamaica
Bahamas
Colombia

Reactions: BrianNole777

If you really want to hurt your brain, go a step forward and think about the electricity (that's already complicated) that's converted into 0's and 1's (binary) then into hex (base 16), then gets manipulated by operating systems, applications are built on top of those operating systems, this signal is sent however far across the globe across physical medium, maybe even into space and back, just so we can shitpost on this forum.

Power generation is transported over high voltage lines via transformers. Think of a supercharger, speeds up movement at dangerous levels, then it’s stepped down by transformers again to a usable level. Batteries are a little more difficult to explain as that gets way more “sciency” lol.
English muther fvcker! Do you speak it?

Iceland By a mile. It’s like being on another planet. It’s a feast for the eyes and truly a wonder of the world imo. So much to do and see. Ireland is awesome in its own right, but Iceland is must see tv.

Thanks.

Both are on my travel list.

Besides OP’s mom which you have all done, and btw, she was disappointed with all of you.

For me it would be leading an organic drum circle. I have been a part of them, just never the person that just started playing music in a park and have others join in. Before I go, I will do it. No organization with social or inviting people, just playing with hopes that others enjoy spreading love, music, and togetherness.
the most jelly answer to this question ever.

Sounds like the time somebody tried to explain ground to me. It was like a who's-on-first

'It goes to ground'

'What's ground?'

'Ground'

'Where's ground?'

"Well it's here but it goes to ground"

"So this isn't ground but goes to ground, but this isn't ground and doesn't go to ground?"

If you really want to hurt your brain, go a step forward and think about the electricity (that's already complicated) that's converted into 0's and 1's (binary) then into hex (base 16), then gets manipulated by operating systems, applications are built on top of those operating systems, this signal is sent however far across the globe across physical medium, maybe even into space and back, just so we can shitpost on this forum.
That’s totally like woah level stuff there, man.

Iceland By a mile. It’s like being on another planet. It’s a feast for the eyes and truly a wonder of the world imo. So much to do and see. Ireland is awesome in its own right, but Iceland is must see tv.
I have a friend who was raised in southern Alabama, did his Navy boot camp and training in Florida, and was then sent to Keflavik for his first posting in Winter. He grew to love it, but the shock of the cold and wind was tough on him for that first Winter.

Skydive, see all 4 parts of the Ring Cycle, and hit all 7 continents.

I'm at 4 so far; need to hit S America, Africa, and Antarctica. S America shouldn't be too difficult - I'd like to go to Peru. Antarctica will be the hardest - there's cruises that go there, but that's like a thing to do when you're older. We'll see.

Reduce the world's population by about 4 billion people.

I've never done it before.................but I want to. :D

Infinity War Success GIF by GEICO

Go to every B1G stadium/arena, check out a Masters, attend a Super Bowl, go to every game of a World Series, I could go on and on, too many to list.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Another thing I wanna do is get my old setup going. Since you are the smarted mother fvcker on the planet when it comes to this, but what should I do with my old marantz receiver/changer, and Paradigm speakers? I was going to give them away to maybe @FlickShagwell, anyway Hawkeye Audio was going to go thru all of it for 50 bucks. Thought was a cheap price. Anyway brother I know how smart you are with this so any advice would be appreciated.

Here's what I'd need to form an initial opinion (meaning, what might be needed for each piece, etc). Just post it here.

For every piece of equipment...

Make
Model Number
Physical condition (anything visually broken/bad shape on them?)
When is the last time you actually plugged them in and used them, and is there something you know that doesn't work on them?

There's a grey area years-wise where some items simply cannot be fixed - usually around 1985ish for receivers/amps. CD players/changers are iffy...if it's just belts, most times those can be had but not all are the same difficulty-wise. Speakers sometimes can need new woofer surrounds, but replacing drivers can be difficult as far as using OEM parts.

It's when they have circuit boards that use a lot of proprietary chips where they're unfixable because if a chip dies or the board is trash, practically none of them are made any more. That's why most places don't even bother to work on them.

A 1960's/1970's piece though, those are mostly fixable - and that's why the majority of everything I own is from that era.

I know "what I know" about vintage gear. It's a bit of a sickness, collecting gear. Leaving in a couple hours to pick up yet another piece for the collection, something from the early 1960's. My latest obsession is old Zenith radios, hoping to pick one up this morning.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Speaking of which...

I really want to learn how to repair and refurbish old school electronics. I actually can do some very light repairs currently, but I'd like to actually take a couple college courses on electronics to where I can better understand how capacitors/diodes/transistors etc work - and get me some old school test/repair equipment.

I'd like to be able to (for example) purchase a 1970's Marantz or Pioneer receiver or an old school 1950's Zenith tube AM/FM radio that are non-working at a garage sale - then do a legitimate recap/refurbishment of them where they'd then be reliable, quality pieces of equipment that would work another 50-75 years.

I'm not talking about starting a business so much as something I can do in my spare time/retirement. Yes, there are videos galore on Youtube to learn this stuff, but most of the best guys putting out videos have some sort of technical training (Armed Forces, vo-tech schooling, etc) as their knowledge base. THAT type of training is what I need.

I simply happen to believe a person is never, ever too old to learn. And I am already experienced at fixing stuff around the house, have a computer programming education/work experience - I'm certainly capable of learning how to do something like this.

I just love fixing stuff, and better yet love to LEARN how to fix stuff.

Be excused from committing a crime because prosecutors think the jury will think I’m retarded.

Kinda mine here, too.

I've never had the desire to "travel". I mean in a touristy way. But I do want to simply get in a car and drive around the American West. Say a national parks tour kind of thing for a month.

Grand Canyon and Yosemite mainly. Hit up Monument Valley and Yellowstone on my way there. That's really it. No desire to "see the world" because we got some pretty incredible things right here.

I just hope we don't destroy them before I get there (the plan is sometime around 2030).

We'll see.

I have always wanted to take three or four months and just drive around the entire country. If you’ve ever read Travels with Charlie or Blue Highways you get the idea.

Also:

* Thru-hike the Appalachian Trail
* take a pontoon boat down the Mississippi from Minnesota to New Orleans

Reactions: BrianNole777
sail all the way around lake superior (preferably on a tall ship but a regular sail boat would suffice)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT