ADVERTISEMENT

Southern California is an overrated addition

Iowa Hog

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2001
Southern California has a football program best days are behind them. Iowa proved that when Iowa destroyed them in the Holiday Bowl. They were very popular when OJ Simpson and Reggie Bush played
for them, but now with two pro teams in LA they have lost a lot of support. I would have to ask Iowa fans, how many have had any interest in either SC or UCLA. The Big 12 seems to not to be worried
about the additions which we hope are better than Maryland and Rutgers

Southern California has a football program best days are behind them. Iowa proved that when Iowa destroyed them in the Holiday Bowl. They were very popular when OJ Simpson and Reggie Bush played
for them, but now with two pro teams in LA they have lost a lot of support. I would have to ask Iowa fans, how many have had any interest in either SC or UCLA. The Big 12 seems to not to be worried
Lol.

Pete Carroll had a .858 winning percentage with two natties there. They have access to every resource. The right coach can absolutely win there.
Exactly. 858 winning percentage. That’s kind of good by the way. Lol. They’re a top 5 traditional program. Look at Bama before Saban. They were struggling. I think Riley is the perfect guy for that job. I’ll be surprised if he fails. Both USC and UCLA are fantastic additions.

USC is absolutely a blueblood, but I think tales of Riley’s greatness are highly exaggerated. As Stoops’ recruits have filtered out of the program, the Sooners have been on a slow decline.

Oklahoma’s YPG and PPG have declined every year over the last 5 years. Riley has decided to hitch his wagon to Alex Grinch, who is an entirely average defensive coordinator.

The DNA of California high school football has also changed considerably since Carroll was there. The state produces alarmingly few big bodies, and out scoring teams is not a recipe for the kind of elite success USC expects and envisions.

Ultimately, I think they settle into the same tier as Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State and MSU.

usc and ucla glory days are gone and playing in the BIG they will struggle mightely for a winning season.

USC is absolutely a blueblood, but I think tales of Riley’s greatness are highly exaggerated. As Stoops’ recruits have filtered out of the program, the Sooners have been on a slow decline.

Oklahoma’s YPG and PPG have declined every year over the last 5 years. Riley has decided to hitch his wagon to Alex Grinch, who is an entirely average defensive coordinator.

The DNA of California high school football has also changed considerably since Carroll was there. The state produces alarmingly few big bodies, and out scoring teams is not a recipe for the kind of elite success USC expects and envisions.

Ultimately, I think they settle into the same tier as Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State and MSU.
Won’t disagree with you about linemen, that’s going to be his biggest challenge. USC has so many built in advantages, and Riley is no dummy. I think they’ll settle into the top 2-3 programs in a few years. Time will tell.

Don't kid yourself. USC is likely going to be a NC contender before long.

dumb

Reactions: blhawk
I disagree with your take. USC every 15-20 years puts together a string of teams that are NCAA championship quality and conference championship quality every 5-10 years, and they are about due again. Things go through cycles, when Saban came to Alabama it was 17 years between titles and 13 years prior to that. JUst need to find the right coach to bring things together and it maybe possible USC has. Think about all the California talent over the last 5 years to go play for other big programs, if USC can keep them home they could be talent wise on the same level as OSU

Reactions: IACub and bowlhawk
I don’t think they’re overrated, and Riley will field some really really good teams. But unless and until the BIG adds more western schools, there may be some inherent challenges that may hold USC (and UCLA) back. Loooong road trips across time zones. Minimal traveling fan support. Recruiting against other western teams that offer more local travel and family/fan friendly following (assuming the PAC and Big 12 stabilize). And…I bet USC and UCLA will both face a good share of night games on the road for TV reasons. That means night games in BIG stadiums in really tough environments and getting everyone’s best shot.

I can’t wait for the Hawks to welcome USC or UCLA into Kinnick at night or on cold/windy/rainy November Saturdays!!

Usc and ucla are bigger brands than anyone who will be left in the big 12. Brand is the key when streaming takes over$$$

Lincoln Riley will energize the program which begins to draw in top rated recruits. His impact is already being felt on the offensive side. To regain championship level he will need to do more on defense then his history at Oklahoma. If the offense gets going as early as this year they will be the darling of the national media with all the hype of what they will “possibly” do in the Big 10.
I will say this, if USC doesn’t learn how to play defense and survive a season of bruising Big Ten punishment they they will play out like Penn State and the glory years will fade away.

I don’t think they’re overrated, and Riley will field some really really good teams. But unless and until the BIG adds more western schools, there may be some inherent challenges that may hold USC (and UCLA) back. Loooong road trips across time zones. Minimal traveling fan support. Recruiting against other western teams that offer more local travel and family/fan friendly following (assuming the PAC and Big 12 stabilize). And…I bet USC and UCLA will both face a good share of night games on the road for TV reasons. That means night games in BIG stadiums in really tough environments and getting everyone’s best shot.

I can’t wait for the Hawks to welcome USC or UCLA into Kinnick at night or on cold/windy/rainy November Saturdays!!
I wish they could find a way (financially) to add Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington.

Lincoln Riley will energize the program which begins to draw in top rated recruits. His impact is already being felt on the offensive side. To regain championship level he will need to do more on defense then his history at Oklahoma. If the offense gets going as early as this year they will be the darling of the national media with all the hype of what they will “possibly” do in the Big 10.
I will say this, if USC doesn’t learn how to play defense and survive a season of bruising Big Ten punishment they they will play out like Penn State and the glory years will fade away.
O-Line/D-Line play, and depth are the secret to B1G success.

I’m looking forward to the first time they come to a night game in Kinnick…..but not so much looking forward to our first game in LA where the 4th quarter kicks off about 1am Iowa time….for one thing I worry the team will play poorly, and for another, I’m old so staying up that late usually means I’m wrecked for a couple days afterwards trying to catch up on sleep.

Will be interesting to see the performance of USC and UCLA playing in November in the Upper Midwest.

I say they're going to struggle.
Big Ten will make sure to avoid that as much as possible.

Not to mention the fact that they'll always close their regular season against each other and you'll have to hope for the perfect storm of nasty weather earlier than late November and catching USC and UCLA on the road on that same day..........

This is bad and you should feel bad.

These things are always hard to predict. Penn State felt they'd come into the B1G and own it. That hasn't happened. They've settled into being a solid team in football but not more than that. Nebraska KNEW they would own the entire B1G...... (teehee... snicker snicker..... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!). Obviously that hasn't happened. Maryland and Rutgers.............. never mind. Yes I'm looking forward to watching USC play in the snow in Madison or Iowa City in November... I'm pretty sure that's not going to go well for them.

Reactions: yrunvs
I think it depends upon how much Riley can rebuild before they join. If they joined tomorrow I think you’re looking at a Nebby situation where they suffer a slow decline from expectations and run the risk of a bad coaching change killing them. USC isn’t the only football dog in town anymore. And with the Rams having just won a title, seemingly positioned to compete for more, they will be getting much more attention.

If he builds them up before joining then you’re looking at a PSU situation where they can compete for championships right away before slowly dropping a bit. OSU has so many inherent advantages in location and recruiting and Michigan may have finally righted the ship to use their advantages too. USC will be climbing a perpetual hill competing against them for the conference title after their first 5-10 years. The one potential for them is if the Big Ten keeps the divisions and they are lined up in the West. If they can recruit the lines well then they can compete against Wisconsin, Iowa, and NW for the division pretty much every year and then all you need is one lucky game in Indy.

UCLA is looking at a Maryland situation where they’ll be playing for bowl eligibility but never conference championships

I’m looking forward to the first time they come to a night game in Kinnick…..but not so much looking forward to our first game in LA where the 4th quarter kicks off about 1am Iowa time….for one thing I worry the team will play poorly, and for another, I’m old so staying up that late usually means I’m wrecked for a couple days afterwards trying to catch up on sleep.
Gotta suck it up and do it. It’s only a 2 hour time difference. Not like going to Hawaii or Europe.

Reactions: iafan44
These things are always hard to predict. Penn State felt they'd come into the B1G and own it. That hasn't happened. They've settled into being a solid team in football but not more than that. Nebraska KNEW they would own the entire B1G...... (teehee... snicker snicker..... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!). Obviously that hasn't happened. Maryland and Rutgers.............. never mind. Yes I'm looking forward to watching USC play in the snow in Madison or Iowa City in November... I'm pretty sure that's not going to go well for them.
Penn State has a pretty good wrestling program.

They will be able to buy large defensive linemen from SEC country.

Reactions: pistachio1999
As it sits right now, here is how I see the conference tiers going into 2024...

TIER 1 - Ohio State
TIER 2 - Michigan
TIER 2b - USC
TIER 3 - Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU
TIER 4 - Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, UCLA
TIER 5 - Maryland, Nebraska
LL/TBD - Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I don't care who is coaching either of the 2 new teams. They are the biggest 2 names in sports in the most populous state by far in the country. Getting those eyeballs was worth millions if not billions per year for the B1G.
Agreed. Owning LA in itself is huge. Fox Sports headquarters is there also I believe. A huge deal. This ain't rural Nebraska or backwoods Pennsylvania. And these two teams will now have a much larger audience as most all Big Ten fans will watch their games now. Can't just look at the past, have to imagine the future.

Iowa plays there, and you can maybe catch a MLB game or an NFL game the same weekend. And at least its not the Arizona desert.

Can we just add Colorado too? Much better road trip than LA.
im-confused.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT