ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle semi-finals and consolations

2nd period:

Kinner starts on bottom.

Kinner sits out, Wyatt covers. Kinner still in a sit. Wyatt staying behind the elbows. Rolls but Wyatt covers. Back in a sit. Wyatt riding tough. RT 1:08. Kinner sitting out repeatedly but Wyatt still riding. Finally escapes. RT 1:25. Score 2-2.

Kinner shoots a left single. Lifts the leg. Wyatt fighting if off well. To the mat. Kinner on his butt. Period ends.

2-2, RT 1:25 for Wyatt.

3rd period:

Wyatt takes neutral.

Right off the whistle, Wyatt shoots a beautiful double for the takedown. 4-2.

Kinner sits again. Wyatt riding tough. RT 2:00.

Kinner to his base. Sits again. Wyatt with pressure forward. Kinner grabbing the head. Kinner gets a leg but Wyatt clears. 4-3, RT 2:30.

Wyatt with ANOTHER beautiful double for 2! 6-3, RT 2:45.

Kinner sitting out again, Wyatt riding tough.

Wyatt wins, 7-3. Great match.

Yes but McKee would have either had to turn him or let him up at some point and then they are back in their feet.

I understand he had riding time but if McKee gets the takedown, which he was going to need regardless, he was most likely going to erase RT anyways.
The RT was presumably a minor consideration. The main reasoning was that he's struggled to escape from McKee's ride and Drake was killing him on his feet.

The last few years I’ve felt as a team we’re not very good on bottom.

My sense too. The tendency appears to be to fight for hand control on your knees rather than to explode off the bottom at the whistle like Phil Keddy. I'm not tall enough to tie TnT's shoe laces when it comes to wrestling, so what do I know? But we seem to give the initial advantage to the top guy.

My sense too. The tendency appears to be to fight for hand control on your knees rather than to explode off the bottom at the whistle like Phil Keddy. I'm not tall enough to tie TnT's shoe laces when it comes to wrestling, so what do I know? But we seem to give the initial advantage to the top guy.
I almost added “we never try to explode out on the whistle.”

Most people aren't Phil keddy, and the vast majority of kids in college can't and don't do that and it didn't even work for Keddy against the best guys. Look at how Spencer does it. Seals off, gets superior position, then explodes when the moment is right.

These guys are young. This is where freshmen always struggle. They will learn and grow.

I also think our starters are pretty good at escaping with few exceptions and or when we hit some elite riders.

Kennedy vs. Mosley

1st period:

Tying up. Patrick with his usual heavy hands.

Patrick with a beautiful single, cutting off to a double, and driving through for the takedown on the edge. Up 2-0.

Patrick cuts him. 2-1.

Hand fighting. 1:30 left.

No offense at all from Mosley so far. Needs a stall call.

Stalling Mosely.

Patrick with a half shot.

:50 left.

Mosely tries a slide-by but Patrick doesn't budge.

:30 left.

Looks like Patrick is pacing himself more in this one.

Period ends. 2-1, RT :06.

Count me as one of the crowd that thought Ayala should have taken down. Looks like this year he is going to need to know how to fight from the bottom and will need the confidence. This was a wasted opportunity. I'm guessing he only had 30secs to fight before the Minny coaches would have had Mckee release and go for the takedown if he wasn't in a good position to turn. If Ayala fights that off he leaves likely with a win and confidence fighting from the bottom.

2nd period:

Patrick takes bottom. Up and out fast. Patrick leads 3-1. RT 0:00.

Mosely finally shoots a single, gets in but Patrick cuts the corner and it's a stalemate.

1:19 left.

Nice left high crotch by Patrick. Lifts the leg and covers on the edge for 2. 5-1. :53 left.

Back to center.

Patrick riding this time. Spiral ride. Mosley with a nice roll and escapes. Patrick leads 5-2. RT :11.

Half shots by both guys. No score.

Period ends. Patrick leads 5-2. RT :11.

3rd period:

Mosely takes bottom.

Patrick with a spiral ride.

Mosely to his feet but Patrick returns him.

Patrick breaks him down, flattens him out. Tying up the wrists. They go OOB. 1:19 left. RT :52.

Back to center.

Patrick with a tight waist. Flattens him out. Tying up the wrists. Stalling bottom. Patrick up 6-2.

Unsportsmanlike conduct on Mosely for talking trash to the ref. 1 point to Patrick. Leads 7-2. Mosely's coach mouths off to the refs.

Back to wrestling. Mosely escapes. Patrick leads 7-3.

Match ends. Patrick wins 8-3.

Swafford vs. SEP grad Cade DeVos.

1st Period:

Quick takedown for DeVos about :05 in. 2-0 DeVos.

Swafford sits out and escapes. DeVos 2-1. RT :25.

Hand fighting.

Swafford with a big wrap and pad on the left knee.

Not much action.

DeVos with a single leg and locks his hands in the crotch but Swafford breaks his grip with a nice wizard.

1:00 left.

Nice low single by DeVos. Swafford fighting it off. Stalemate.

Half shots by both guys. DeVos has Swafford in a front headlock. No score.

Period ends. DeVos up 2-1, RT :25.

3rd period:

Mosely takes bottom.

Patrick breaks him down, flattens him out. Tying up the wrists. They go OOB. 1:19 left. RT :52.

Back to center.

Patrick with a tight waist. Flattens him out. Tying up the wrists. Stalling bottom. Patrick up 6-2.

Unsportsmanlike conduct on Mosely for talking trash to the ref. 1 point to Patrick. Leads 7-2. Mosely's coach mouths off to the refs.

Appreciate the PBP!

2nd period:

DeVos takes bottom. Up and out fast. DeVos up, 3-1.

Half shot by DeVos.

Stalling Swafford.

1:20 left.

Swafford needs to pick it up. Having trouble getting any shots off.

Period ends. DeVos up 3-1. RT is messed up. They had :30 for Swafford. Should be about :20 for DeVos.

Count me as one of the crowd that thought Ayala should have taken down. Looks like this year he is going to need to know how to fight from the bottom and will need the confidence. This was a wasted opportunity. I'm guessing he only had 30secs to fight before the Minny coaches would have had Mckee release and go for the takedown if he wasn't in a good position to turn. If Ayala fights that off he leaves likely with a win and confidence fighting from the bottom.
YES! Up by 1 with 1;15 riding time. Take Down!!! He has to either turn you, or cut you. He got reversed and got out quickly in this match did Ayala. Would have forced Minny to make a choice. If he gets out he is up by 2. TD for the other guy and you go into OT. If you believe you are better on your feet, well here you are.

So again, min has to turn you, or take you down 2Xs.

3rd period:

Mosely takes bottom.

Back to center.

Awesome PBP…thank you!!

Long discussion about RT between SDSU coaches and the scorer's table. They settle on RT of :09 for DeVos.

3rd period:

Swafford starts on bottom. Tries a switch. To his feet. DeVos picks up the leg and walks him OOB.

Back to center.

DeVos leads 3-1. RT :47.

Nice roll by Swafford but almost puts himself on his back.

Swafford flat in the center. RT 1:21. :44 left.

Nice sit-out by Swafford for the escape. DeVos up, 3-2.

Swafford shoots, DeVos scores on the re-shot. DeVos up, 5-2.

Match ends. DeVos wins, 6-2.

YES! Up by 1 with 1;15 riding time. Take Down!!! He has to either turn you, or cut you. He got reversed and got out quickly in this match did Ayala. Would have forced Minny to make a choice. If he gets out he is up by 2. TD for the other guy and you go into OT. If you believe you are better on your feet, well here you are.

So again, min has to turn you, or take you down 2Xs.

Agreed. He has limited time to turn DA before he has to cut. Then he has to take him down twice in a row, with a ride out after the first one.

Long discussion about RT between SDSU coaches and the scorer's table. They settle on RT of :09 for DeVos.

3rd period:

Swafford starts on bottom. Tries a switch. To his feet. DeVos picks up the leg and walks him OOB.

Back to center.

DeVos leads 3-1. RT :47.

Nice roll by Swafford but almost puts himself on his back.

Swafford flat in the center. RT 1:21. :44 left.

Nice sit-out by Swafford for the escape. DeVos up, 3-2.

Swafford shoots, DeVos scores on the re-shot. DeVos up, 5-2.

Match ends. DeVos wins, 6-2.
So the start a count when you're on the legs on top but no count if you have 1 leg in air for15 seconds

Gotta love it.

“He should have taken down!!!”

But if he gets turned it would have been…

“He should have taken neutral! He had RT and was dominating on his feet!!!!”

Good times.
yeah, I mean he was killing it from neutral.. no problem with the call

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Costello vs. Fernandes (Fern)

1st period:

Hand fighting.

Fern with a half shot.

Fern tries a slide-by.

Costello jacks him up with double unders, Fern tries a throw, Costello rolls through, Fern in on a leg on the edge, OOB. No points.

Good action!

Back to center.

Costello looks for double unders again. Fern clears out.

Fern with a snatch single. Costello fights if off. OOB. :24 left.

Tying up. End of period.

Score 0-0.

2nd period:

Costello takes bottom.

Fern is about 5 inches taller and pretty lean.

Fern puts in a leg, pulls him back with a side headlock and holds him for a 4 count. 4-0, Fern.

Fern puts in a power half but Costello rolls through.

Another side headlock for a 4 count. 8-0, Fern. Taking bottom didn't work out as we'd hoped.

End of period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT