ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer

This situation was so poorly managed it's incredible. Sorry, but unless he damaged something else then this should have been evident months ago that he needed it.
Have to confess this crossed my mind as well. However, I have no doubt folks had SL’s best interests in mind. The whole thing has always seemed off - at least from this outsider’s perspective. Feel bad for him.

My apologies. I didn't realize they recommended he doesn't get surgery right away and instead should wait 9 months to make a decision. That way if he does get surgery, he not only is guaranteed to miss the season but also misses the 2022 world team trials as well.

This situation will definitely be mimicked by other coaches on how to approach getting ACL surgery.

The fact you think coaches make this decision wrecks any credibility you might have had.

Spencer could use medical rs this year and his normal rs next yr if necessary. Come back for 23/24
Unless I'm mistaken or it's changed recently, the "medical redshirt" is possible because he has his redshirt available. He essentially retroactively puts his redshirt back on due to injury.

If he didn't have the redshirt available, he would have to apply for medical hardship, which has different / stricter criteria (which has also seemed to relax in recent years) in order to get a 6th year.

So in essence, a medial shirt this year would use up his "regular" redshirt, and if he missed next year too he would need to apply for a medical hardship year

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Man, this day got shitty in a big hurry if this is all true. The chance (and a good one too) that Spencer and Kem will not wrestle again as a Hawk in college is a real kick to the nuts. I'm no expert, but if Spencer fixes one ACL I would think you would do the other eventually as well. I have a terrible feeling Lee will not wrestle next year either and will heal up both ACLS for a run at 2024 Olympics. That is his goal all along. I feel like his time in folkstyle as a Hawkeye is done and that is a very sobering thought too me. ☹
Could be. He did mention in his live chat a couple days ago, "I hate folkstyle." But I'm also sure he's too competitive to leave a 4th title hanging.

where is this 'kem may not wrestle' thing coming from? i haven't heard anything on that front.
One guy on our forum. Because Swafford wanted to officially represent Iowa this year. Crazier things have happened but pretty big stretch.

yeah, well, i ain't believin' it until something else comes out.

i didn't say anything about the spencer thing b/c i was told the Univ. was going to a a release at some point.

Reactions: hlstone and Ruinous
One thing is for sure we have way to many experts out there. Sorry if this upsets people but I am so sick and tired of people 2nd guessing everything out staff does!!! You honestly think the staff and the Lee family did not sit down and go over every possibility!! It is what it is guys! Probably the best wrestler I have witnessed with my own eyes who has had some serious bad luck and was not ready to give up on back to back team titles! Maybe someday people will realize we have a great staff who will always do things the right way and have every wrestler’s best interest at heart.

One thing is for sure we have way to many experts out there. Sorry if this upsets people but I am so sick and tired of people 2nd guessing everything out staff does!!! You honestly think the staff and the Lee family did not sit down and go over every possibility!! It is what it is guys! Probably the best wrestler I have witnessed with my own eyes who has had some serious bad luck and was not ready to give up on back to back team titles! Maybe someday people will realize we have a great staff who will always do things the right way and have every wrestler’s best interest at heart.

amen to that.

The fact you think coaches make this decision wrecks any credibility you might have had.
Exactly, not fixing his acl's last March and now fixing them is 100% Spencer's choices. He may have gotten lots of advice and recommendations, but he has the final say. You're crazy if you think TnT had any say in this. He wanted to gut out a 4th and another team title, but apparently that isn't in the cards now. I guess you could be pissed at Spencer for waiting on surgery, but he is the one that has to deal with consequences of his decisions, not us. COVID and injuries have really shafted him and the Hawks in general the last few years, but that is the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Are we surprised? We have people who question everything here, including medical experts. The cesspool is strong.

Now everyone just hold on a minute!!!! 1st off wtf??? 2nd what did I miss? Not saying the OP or anyone else is wrong, but...... Where is this info coming from and more scary. Why is everyone seem to be taking it as fact?

Lee wrestled in the dual meet thing. Was obviously going pretty hard in the room. Was his decision to Wrestle down in FLA. He did pretty well but certainly was not his dominate self. Then what happened???

As someone said, did a set back take place?

Then on top of that, someone posts KemDawg is done too!?!?!?!? Again, not saying that any of this is not true, but I would like to get some better intel from Coaches.

Reactions: Jrjt0518 and Gutt15
Now everyone just hold on a minute!!!! 1st off wtf??? 2nd what did I miss? Not saying the OP or anyone else is wrong, but...... Where is this info coming from and more scary. Why is everyone seem to be taking it as fact?

Lee wrestled in the dual meet thing. Was obviously going pretty hard in the room. Was his decision to Wrestle down in FLA. He did pretty well but certainly was not his dominate self. Then what happened???

As someone said, did a set back take place?

Then on top of that, someone posts KemDawg is done too!?!?!?!? Again, not saying that any of this is not true, but I would like to get some better intel from Coaches.
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...aa-champion-hodge-trophy-hawkeyes/9069371002/

i didn't say anything about the spencer thing b/c i was told the Univ. was going to a a release at some point.
You now own intermat. Intermat has now reported it after Mineo Tweet. Has your Iowa time limit to make its release passed, or did Iowa issue a release? I can't find an Iowa press release. And now HawkCentral is referencing it has been reported by a (uncredited) top wrestling news site.

PM is scum.

I'm down bad about this. Just praying he's back to 100% some day whether it's a hawkeye singlet or not.

Personally I'm happy as I was pretty concerned about Spencer. Yes, a fourth title would be incredible for him, but man I was concerned about his health and the potential impact to his future Olympic aspirations. I'm glad Spencer is doing what's best for him. Generational talent and an incredible human being and I would hate to see his career cut short.

Real talk.

Does anybody think Spencer gets one ACL repaired, comes back next year, then gets the other one fixed at the conclusion of next year?

Does that make sense?

Reactions: evashevsky58
Real talk.

Does anybody think Spencer gets one ACL repaired, comes back next year, then gets the other one fixed at the conclusion of next year?

Does that make sense?
Judging by last year, his right knee doesn't seem to be giving him any issues. I think he repairs the left and goes from there. Not a Dr and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express either.

Spencer is a victim or circumstance. Passed on surgery for Olympics, wins Sr Nationals and big tens, ncaa gets canceled for BS. Shortened season last yr, tears other ACL at big tens, still wins ncaas.
had things gone as planned would’ve won ncaas in 2020 along with a gold and he probably has surgery after that season and would’ve been healthy for this season

Real talk.

Does that make sense?
Not sure he’s ready if he gets both repaired but also not sure it helps to only get one repaired

Personally I'm happy as I was pretty concerned about Spencer. Yes, a fourth title would be incredible for him, but man I was concerned about his health and the potential impact to his future Olympic aspirations. I'm glad Spencer is doing what's best for him. Generational talent and an incredible human being and I would hate to see his career cut short.
And I'd love it if Ayala decided to give it a go this year. I want what is best for him too of course, but dam he's incredibly talented and it would be fun to see what he could do this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT