ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Transfer Portal Window Going Away?

LaQuintaHawkeye

HB Heisman
Dec 16, 2017

Recommendation to eliminate 15-day spring transfer portal window for football players moves forward​

The NCAA Division I Council will consider eliminating the 15-day spring transfer window for football as part of a move to decrease the overall number of days from 45 to 30 that players can declare their intentions to switch schools while maintaining immediate eligibility.

>> FULL ARTICLE <<

I agree with eliminating the spring window. It can absolutely decimate a roster and is terrible for the game, in my opinion. I heard Rick Neuheisel on Full Ride saying the NCAA can't do this, that you can't do anything that restricts a player's ability to move schools. I call BS on that. By his way of thinking, then ANY restriction can't be done, which means if QB1 gets benched for poor play during game 1, he should just be able to enter the portal after the game. I mean, we can't be restricting player movement.

Institutions have to be allowed to put a restrictor plate on the window(s) that players can become available.

I'm all for having one portal, but the December window after the conference championship games makes no sense. Why not wait until the season is over?

Because some kids want to transfer for the start of the second semester. Allowing them to enter the portal in december gives them the chance to do that
The NCAA football portal window closure should be in sync with the actual end of the season. Maybe a carveout could be created for the trend ineligible for postseason play, but that would need to be structured carefully.

I'm also in favor of a rule preventing coaches from bailing on schools that are eligible for postseason play - fair is fair.

The NCAA football portal window closure should be in sync with the actual end of the season. Maybe a carveout could be created for the trend ineligible for postseason play, but that would need to be structured carefully.

I'm also in favor of a rule preventing coaches from bailing on schools that are eligible for postseason play - fair is fair.
I'm always amazed at those who try to equate the rights of coaches with those of the players.

They aren't tied together in the NFL, why should they be in NCAA?

I guess you could allow the college player to simply hold out if he doesn't like the coaching change, but for him to be immediately allowed to swap teams is pretty ridiculous. NFL players don't get that option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT