ADVERTISEMENT

St. Augustine grass

P

Yep, it's nasty. Personally I've declared war on tall fescue clumps.
The only thing keeping me from tearing my hair out after having to mow it, is that a small amount of Bermuda has crept in to soften the look of the devil grass. I have a feeling it will go away during the summer, which will make me sad.

My yard was primarily St Augustine. A few years ago I tilled up my front yard and put down Palisades Zoysia. Two weeks ago I replaced the rest of the yard with zoysia. It's way better for where I live, and way less maintenance.

My yard was primarily St Augustine. A few years ago I tilled up my front yard and put down Palisades Zoysia. Two weeks ago I replaced the rest of the yard with zoysia. It's way better for where I live, and way less maintenance.

Zoysia looks like crap in the winter. Just sayin....

Reactions: IXHawkeye86
caddyshack-cannonball.gif

Zoysia looks like crap in the winter. Just sayin....
Not where I live. And it's way less maintenance, doesn't thatch nearly as bad, is more drought and salt tolerant, and equally shade tolerant. It chokes out dollar weed better, and doesn't get chinch bugs.

Any idea why chlorsulfuron is no longer labelled?
There were too many cases of severe damage done by it, so they pulled it off the market. Which stinks, because it was pretty damn effective.

You can find Chlorsulfuron, just not labeled for turf (wink wink)

Reactions: Mayland
There were too many cases of severe damage done by it, so they pulled it off the market. Which stinks, because it was pretty damn effective.

You can find Chlorsulfuron, just not labeled for turf (wink wink)
I have access to all kinds of good stuff. I would of course never think to use any a.i not labelled for use of turf on my own lawn.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I have a 15’ x 7’ dog run that I am getting ready to sod in the coming days. The area is screened on the sides and top, so it will never catch “full” sunlight. The sun does hit the area for about half the day (through the screen mesh). I have never had St Augustine, but was figuring that I would use it for this area due to the lack of lengthy, direct sunlight. I never have liked St Augustine, but the only sod place locally has only St Augustine or Bermuda available. I asked about Zoysia, and the guy said that it is custom order by the pallet only. (his calculations say I will only need about 40 pieces of sod, which is less than a pallet)

Hmm, what to do? I’m starting to think it would be a mistake to put down St Augustine, and then hate it for the coming months and years. Perhaps I should ask about just having a pallet of zoysia custom ordered and delivered, and whatever I don’t use, oh well, if it means that the finished area turns out much better and more enjoyable.

Any advice would be appreciated. (I do realize that it is possible that no grass at all would thrive/grow in this particular setting, and putting down artificial may end up happening in the future. Trying “real” grass first per wife’s wishes.)

I have a 15’ x 7’ dog run that I am getting ready to sod in the coming days. The area is screened on the sides and top, so it will never catch “full” sunlight. The sun does hit the area for about half the day (through the screen mesh). I have never had St Augustine, but was figuring that I would use it for this area due to the lack of lengthy, direct sunlight. I never have liked St Augustine, but the only sod place locally has only St Augustine or Bermuda available. I asked about Zoysia, and the guy said that it is custom order by the pallet only. (his calculations say I will only need about 40 pieces of sod, which is less than a pallet)

Hmm, what to do? I’m starting to think it would be a mistake to put down St Augustine, and then hate it for the coming months and years. Perhaps I should ask about just having a pallet of zoysia custom ordered and delivered, and whatever I don’t use, oh well, if it means that the finished area turns out much better and more enjoyable.

Any advice would be appreciated. (I do realize that it is possible that no grass at all would thrive/grow in this particular setting, and putting down artificial may end up happening in the future. Trying “real” grass first per wife’s wishes.)
My quick thought is that, depending on how much the dogs will be out there, of course, it could be tough to keep any grass very healthy in a dog run. Coincidentally, while reading through this thread I was looking for someone pointing out how much of a pain it can be trying to clean up dog crap on St Aug.

Will other grass surround the dog run perimeter? Doesn't zoysia spread?

When I sold my former house to move in with my wife, her yard was shit. I mean shit. I spent a lot of time, money, and sweat to make it better. Drastically improved. I've decided that I'm not going to spend any more money on it because nobody appreciates it.

My only plans for this spring / summer are to put in a flagpole and plant a couple of small trees.

Reactions: dirt33
The only thing keeping me from tearing my hair out after having to mow it, is that a small amount of Bermuda has crept in to soften the look of the devil grass. I have a feeling it will go away during the summer, which will make me sad.
Nope. The Bermuda isn’t going anywhere. Its rhizomes are deep.
St. Augustine varieties grow from their stolons branching out over the soil. It’s important to:

1. Change mowing pattern often
2. Water deeply to achieve at least 3/4” of water
3. Cut no less than 4” blade height

It’s a fickle turf grass. If you water it too much for shorter periods of time, your root system will be weak. Come the heat, I’m running rotor zones @ 60 min, and pop ups at ~40 min or so.

During the summer there will always be an afternoon wilt, but that’s normal. Watering should occur early morning hours and never start in the evening. This can lead to fungal issues like grey leaf spot, and other fungi.

I prefer a 10-3-15 fertilizer with minimum 50% slow release urea coated nitrogen. In some areas of Florida, phosphorus isn’t allowed due to run off, so a 10-0-15 would have to be used.

Some use too much nitrogen, especially ammonium nitrate, and this produces too much “top” growth.

Winter months should be potash, chelated iron and minor elements (metals) to keep root system strong.

Sorry for my lengthy reply, but I used to take care of this stuff.

St. Augustine varieties grow from their stolons branching out over the soil. It’s important to:

It’s a fickle turf grass. If you water it too much for shorter periods of time, your root system will be weak. Come the heat, I’m running rotor zones @ 60 min, and pop ups at ~40 min or so.

During the summer there will always be an afternoon wilt, but that’s normal. Watering should occur early morning hours and never start in the evening. This can lead to fungal issues like grey leaf spot, and other fungi.

I prefer a 10-3-15 fertilizer with minimum 50% slow release urea coated nitrogen. In some areas of Florida, phosphorus isn’t allowed due to run off, so a 10-0-15 would have to be used.

Some use too much nitrogen, especially ammonium nitrate, and this produces too much “top” growth.

Winter months should be potash, chelated iron and minor elements (metals) to keep root system strong.

Thanks. Good info, but I still hate it.

• Haha
Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
When I sold my former house to move in with my wife, her yard was shit. I mean shit. I spent a lot of time, money, and sweat to make it better. Drastically improved. I've decided that I'm not going to spend any more money on it because nobody appreciates it.

My only plans for this spring / summer are to put in a flagpole and plant a couple of small trees.

Yards are more for self satisfaction / personal enjoyment. I enjoy being in the yard.

When you say "nobody appreciates it", we're you expecting some sort of fanfare, a parade, etc.?

Theoretically, could OP mow his lawn shorter to encourage bermuda/discourage St. Augustine?

I spent one summer internship on warm season grasses, and the longest cut we had on the entire course was 1” bermuda in the rough. So, I don’t know if my idea has any merit whatsoever.

Where do you live?

My quick thought is that, depending on how much the dogs will be out there, of course, it could be tough to keep any grass very healthy in a dog run. Coincidentally, while reading through this thread I was looking for someone pointing out how much of a pain it can be trying to clean up dog crap on St Aug.

There will be 2 small dogs using the area, and they won’t spend much time “hanging out” there, rather it is just their spot to go into through a dog door from inside the house, to do their business. Picking up poop off the St Augustine was the first thing that popped into my mind and made me start to re-consider whether or not SA is a good idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT