ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Halftime

... sorry - accidentally hit post too soon!

1) Did you think the voice-over was meant to be an Iowan speaking?

2) Did you think they said "man looking for a man" instead of "band looking for a band"?

3) The online video is difficult to make out so maybe there was something in the formations that I did not see.

4) maybe they strayed from the script ... which has been known to happen

One more point about the quality of their "music". Any Stanford student may join the band, no tryouts are required.

I happen to like the band. Most of the time. But yes, they can be painfully embarrassing.

THE SCRIPT

Farmer’s Only -- Halftime Show

A2: And now, back from breaking up with our rival band, it's the one, the only, the truly incomparable Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band!!!

A2: A1, It’s time for us to get serious about finding a new rival band.
A1: What?! But we agreed to give the UC Berkeley band another chance!
A2: It’s been two months, and it’s just not working. They always wanna do city things like rally at yacht clubs and play at Raiders games. We’re from the Farm! We need a band who knows how to shuck free range, organic corn and humanely tip heirloom cows!!!
A1: Well, why don’t we try this website I found? It’s called farmersonly.com!

Song: Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing
Formation: Arrow flying into a heart.

A1: Ok, here’s the farmersonly application.
A2: Geez. It’s a shame we’re breaking up. You think ya have a partner…
A1: A2! Focus!
A2: Ok, ok..Age, 53, Uh...woman looking for a man, here we go band looking for a band!
A1: Great. Let’s pick a photo. Hmm...what shows our quirky but cute personality best?
A2: What about this one with hay bales?
A1: But there are other bands in that picture! What if they think we’re in a relationship?! Let’s just take a selfie.
A1: Alright! Hey band put yer best boot forward and smile for the camera!

Song: Down To The Nightclub
Formation: Smiley Face wearing a ten gallon hat

A1: Ouch! That was a terrible picture! No one’s gonna like us now!
A2: Come on, A1! Someone will find us attractive!
A1: Sure when pigs fly!
A2: Hey! We got a match! Age, 43, Location, Pasadena, CA (from Iowa originally), distance, about ten yards, seeking a longterm relationship, marching type is traditional but fun!
A1: But what makes them special?
A2: Hold your horses, A1! They like making loud sounds in cornfields, hamming it up with bad pork puns and are also frustrated with their rival band! And they were on the Bachelor last year!

Formation: Flying pig
Song: Animal into the Farmer’s Only Jingle

A1: Sooo, when’s our date?
A2: Looks like they wanna meet us in the closest corn maze. Hmmm… where would that be?
A1: Uh, try the Central Valley?
A2: Hang on, they’re typing… They say it’s at the Rose Bowl, but that doesn’t make sense…
A1: Wait! Look at the field!
A2: Awww, that’s cute! They brought the corn maze to us! Uh, it definitely isn’t GMO, right?

Song: You’re Gonna Go Far Kid
Formation: Corn maze

A1: Well that was fun! Join us next time when we realize that Farmersonly has done more for the food security of this country than any agricultural subsidy in the past century!

You've been watching the one, the only, the truly incomparable Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band!!!

Meh. I didn't find it offensive but it wasn't funny. The only real humorous part was seeing how funny the Stanford band thought it was.

Oh, I agree, not very funny. But not so very offensive, either. Not entirely dumb, but I think I could see it from there.

Reactions: WSC72
Having been there and also reading the script, I am starting to think that due to a combination of quick script reading and the poor PA system (the Rose Bowl really needs a face lift, the graphics on the scoreboard looked like they were from the 90's and there was only one video board, but that's for another day) Iowans picked out key words like "FarmersOnly.com" and "corn" and "shucking" and couldn't really hear the full story. Reading the script, it definitely looks like it was meant to be friendly (although, still a little stupid) and sort of a dating story, but when you're sitting in a stadium full of 90k+ people, I can see how only select words were picked out of an elaborate script.

Reactions: HawkGem11
I was at the game, and when I realized what they were doing, at first I was pissed. Then a very cool Stanford alum sitting behind me explained to me the history of the band. They do this to everyone. In today's PC world, I find it troubling that everyone is so outraged these days at being offended...I actually get mad about it , yet caught myself outraged about the bands prank and insensitively to farmers. The light went on for me and realized that parody and being able to laugh at ones self is something that is missing from our current society.

It was tasteless and stupid, but also funny in the sense that they are doing it to have fun and get a reaction.

If the Stanford band DOESNT make fun of you...then that's the real insult.

if indeed that script that was posted was performed, we should be embarrassed of ourselves for being an overly sensitive bunch of rubes. of course, the twitter wars waged this season on various "experts" in the media also prove that we are an oversensitive bunch. lighten up and quit looking for things to get offended about, people

When Trying to be funny. Remember if you have to explain it, its not really funny. If you are the only one laughing at your own jokes = no one likes you

If they were trying to be funny then they failed big time. I thought it was very condescending and insulting. I wouldn't mind if it was some fans talking trash, but this was the official Stanford Band at the Rose Bowl. That wasn't the place for such a thing.

If their show was actually based around the music and formations, and they made what they thought was comedy via those means then OK. But it was basically people holding instruments and dancing around in half ass formations while only the drumline played and two people talked over the PA. There was no music whatsoever.

That, and the fact their heart and arrow looked more like an egg being fertilized until the slow motion arrow eventually went out the other side

If they were trying to be funny then they failed big time. I thought it was very condescending and insulting. I wouldn't mind if it was some fans talking trash, but this was the official Stanford Band at the Rose Bowl. That wasn't the place for such a thing.
I thought it was funny. But I'm also not a thin skinned loser that's got enough confidence and pride in his home state and college to not take offense to it.

I thought it was funny. But I'm also not a thin skinned loser that's got enough confidence and pride in his home state and college to not take offense to it.

I gotta agree with SP here. I didn't think the bit was that funny, but the fan reaction to it was....and it makes us look way worse than the bit itself frankly.

Reactions: iceland
I gotta agree with SP here. I didn't think the bit was that funny, but the fan reaction to it was....and it makes us look way worse than the bit itself frankly.

I think a big part of the fan reaction is that we aren't used to the other team's band mocking something. That took everybody for a huge loop. Then, when the fact that none of it was even remotely funny, it didn't seem like a joke. A joke is usually funny no matter how much it offends. This wasn't funny at all and thus wasn't taken as a joke.

today, I spoke with someone who actually rode on the charter flight with the Iowa band to and from Pasadena. The Stanford band has a long history of this mischief (several years ago their drum major dressed as nun and directed the band with a cross while performing their show in South Bend, Indiana). For the Rose Bowl, they submitted a script that was approved by the powers that be (including Barta as previously noted), but then a completely different show that included the stuff that has upset Iowa fans was done. I am guessing there are a few Rose Bowl executives that were also a bit upset about this lack of honesty too. Whether you found it funny, offensive or just plain don't give a damn, I think we conclude the Stanford band is not a typical college band or the classiest band you will encounter

Actor and comedian Bill Burr, most famous as Dave Chappelle's right hand man on The Chappelle Show and as Saul Goodman's henchman Patrick Kuby from Breaking Bad, hosts the increasingly popular Monday Morning Podcast. Well, he went to the Rose Bowl and his take on the Stanford band is dead on (spoiler: Iowa fans will enjoy it). It starts at 24:50 mark and he loves the F word, so it definitely is NSFW or children's ears.

Last edited:
Actor and comedian Bill Burr, most famous as Dave Chappelle's right hand man on The Chappelle Show and as Saul Goodman's henchman Patrick Kuby from Breaking Bad, hosts the increasingly popular Monday Morning Podcast. Well, he went to the Rose Bowl and his take on the Stanford band is dead on (spoiler: Iowa fans will enjoy it). It starts at 24:50 mark and he loves the F word, so it definitely is NSFW or children's ears.

I like this guy - basically saying they aren't as clever as they think they are.

Words on a page vs delivery are two different things

The kids are entitled jerks. A scary thing for supposed higher intellects and future leaders.

To paraphrase al Pacino. Be careful what kinds of leaders you are making

Words on a page vs delivery are two different things

The kids are entitled jerks. A scary thing for supposed higher intellects and future leaders.

To paraphrase al Pacino. Be careful what kinds of leaders you are making
GET MAD!!!

One way I know most of the Stanford alumni will get further than you ever did in life-I bet none of them have as thin of skin as you do.

The halftime show was no different than the script, the false accusation that they switched is well...false.

Yeah, I was pissed at the time, but now just don't care. I think they probably were more harsh on other teams in past from sounds of it.

If they meant it to be clever though, they failed miserably. It was pretty dumb all the way around.

It was either meant as a jab at Iowans, in which case it was unclassy, or it was meant to actually be funny, in which case it was a huge failure.

It was a colossal POS either way.

Yeah, nothing toughens the skin like playing the skateboard in palo alto.
You get mad about stereotypes made about Iowa, yet have no problem stereotyping Stanford students. Good call hypocrite. What are you more envious about-the fact that the students reside in the best state to live in in the USA or the fact that they will all make more money than you when they graduate?

That is hysterical!

Look, I don't think Iowans or Hawkeye fans are thin skinned. If a group of Iowans went to a comedy club and the comedian made fun of Iowans they would have laughed their assess off. But you are at the Rose Bowl, and the band from one of the finest schools in the country makes fun of Iowa. This wasn't a bunch of cheerleaders, this was the BAND. Complete with adult participation - this was the Stanford institution itself that made fun of Iowa at the ROSE BOWL.

This band has already been "banned" (hah!) from traveling, and now the Rose Bowl organization is pissed.

If we would have won this game it wouldn't have looked worse. The President of Stanford should be slapped.

You get mad about stereotypes made about Iowa, yet have no problem stereotyping Stanford students. Good call hypocrite. What are you more envious about-the fact that the students reside in the best state to live in in the USA or the fact that they will all make more money than you when they graduate?

You seem to get hung up on status and money a lot. Sort of pathetic.

California is the best state in the US to live in? For who? Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there really ever.

Steven you really should get over your embarrassment about your upbringing. The inferiority complex you display is really kind of sad. Stop being so very insecure.

The Stanford band is a group of entitled asses that sexually harass women and haze people while getting stoned. Doesn't sound worthy of people attending such a prestigious institution. I think they have drunk their own kool aid and actually believe that getting into Stanford makes them better than others. It doesn't even if they do make more money or have a fancier title than most.

As for myself? Since you felt compelled to attack my background? I have lived on both coasts. Have lived overseas. Am in a job where money isn't really an issue and have a fancy title. I also did not graduate from the all mighty Stanford or any of the other so called "better" schools. Most of the people I have worked with from these types of schools aren't any more talented than the people I went to school with many moons ago.

Get over your insecurity Steven. It is OK to be proud of where you come from.

Signed,
An Iowan by choice

I'm fairly certain I haven't commented on the bands performance one way or another. I am also rather certain that California is a shitty place to live and I'm pretty comfortable with my standard of living.

You try way too hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT