ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5/Rotation given CURRENT Roster? Is SCHEDULE Toughest in History? IOWA #16(USA Today)

I'm pretty sure they were. ;) I was listing in order of national rank at the time we played they them, hence the " other nc games list. " I'm not in the mood to be cyberbullied right now...:mad:

But your post DOES say: “Non-conference was:” then lists Michigan, Indiana, and Minnesota does it not? I’m confused.

I thought the Hawks scheduled Cincy because they are out of the rotation for the Gavitt games next year. May be off base on that one

Could be, but I'm almost sure Fran mentioned being in it again next year at some point. We played Colorado in Sioux Falls a couple years ago when we were out of the rotation though so maybe this is similar. B10 teams are supposed to play in it 4 times in the 8 years, and we played the first two years (Marquette and Seton Hall) with the last two off.

Could be, but I'm almost sure Fran mentioned being in it again next year at some point. We played Colorado in Sioux Falls a couple years ago when we were out of the rotation though so maybe this is similar. B10 teams are supposed to play in it 4 times in the 8 years, and we played the first two years (Marquette and Seton Hall) with the last two off.
I might be thinking of the Colorado game. Maybe somebody else can confirm one way or the other

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Let's put it this way, I need you to keep paying into social security, so go to bed, get there early to impress your boss and get a raise...:)

I’ve already paid into social security, now I’m social security can start paying me back..;)

Did I mention Mondays are great..

Considering that the team is as arid as the desert for his skill set, if he’s at all ready, Joe T plays.

Could actually see Patrick playing in 2019 just to play with his bro for a year. Still having trouble seeing Connor sticking to 2 sports very long.
Pat might RS in 2020 depending on who we sign?

We all know Tyler still has work to do in college. But we’d survive. Enough said.

Things will shake themselves out, roster wise, in coming weeks.

Gut feeling, Cook leaves (declares just because, sick of college ball) and Dailey looks to transfer. Pemsl and Connor wild cards. Pemsl due to lingering injuries and Connor focusing on baseball.

I would be shocked if Connor quit B-ball. It is far from clear he is even a baseball prospect. There is pretty big money is in the family business of NCAA B-ball coaching, unless you can sign a Trout-like contract.

Things will shake themselves out, roster wise, in coming weeks.

Gut feeling, Cook leaves (declares just because, sick of college ball) and Dailey looks to transfer. Pemsl and Connor wild cards. Pemsl due to lingering injuries and Connor focusing on baseball.

I’ve heard the rumors on Pemsl as well. People in Dubuque have said his knees are that of a 40yr old MLB catcher. Just a rumor though.

Personally hope Cook comes back and Connor concentrates on baseball. But who knows. So next year we will have 14 scholly players with 12 w/significant PT. Wow that’s a lot of bodies for not a lot of minutes.

To be fair, it definitely seems like there is something to keeping the rotation smaller. Just because Nunge/Fredrick/PMac/Toussaint are available to play doesn’t mean that they should. Especially if everybody returns
Going big is kinda pointless when we forget to feed them and would rather throw up bad shots instead.
Schedule’s haven’t even been established yet for 2019-2020..
Maybe he is telling us he's actually gonna dump some of the jr high teams we play early on. Too bad that you guys had that comeback vs us or I'd tell you we are taking you off the schedule :D

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Hmmmm, that's probably a stretch...frosh or not, his skillset is desperately needed, especially on defense.
If his skillset is ready to play, who's minutes is he going to take? I don't see him getting more than 10 minutes a game. He is not taking Jbo's or Connor's, even though. He might get a few of Moss's if he stays. Then you have CJ who is bigger and a year older in the mix as well. At some point the classes need to be balanced out. I think it would be a benefit to redshirt a player who is getting less than 10 minutes a game.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
If his skillset is ready to play, who's minutes is he going to take? I don't see him getting more than 10 minutes a game. He is not taking Jbo's or Connor's, even though. He might get a few of Moss's if he stays. Then you have CJ who is bigger and a year older in the mix as well. At some point the classes need to be balanced out. I think it would be a benefit to redshirt a player who is getting less than 10 minutes a game.
He should definitely take Connor's minutes, whether daddy will do what's right is debatable.

Also, I'll believe what Fran says about CJ once I actually see it. If he can play good defense (stopping penetration by the opponents PG) while running the offense like a true PG should, then I guess JT could redshirt.

He should definitely take Connor's minutes, whether daddy will do what's right is debatable.

Also, I'll believe what Fran says about CJ once I actually see it. If he can play good defense (stopping penetration by the opponents PG) while running the offense like a true PG should, then I guess JT could redshirt.
Joe T has not played a single minute of major college basketball so for me it is a wait and see. The few videos I have seen of him, make me wonder how well he will transition in his first year.

Reactions: RocknRollface

Agreed, we need to see CJ play. Fran had a lot of good things to say about Ogelsby, thought Ellingson was a backup PG. Both were no mistake guys. Both were good defends in Fran's eyes. Flemming was a high level recruit.

So who else is on the schedule?

-Cincy
-Vegas, I assume it will be Creighton/San Diego State with a chance to face Texas Tech and Creighton/San Diego State
-Iowa State

Who else? We in the ACC/B1G Challenge? Gavitt Games?

I'd love to face the likes of a Butler or Providence in the Gavitt Games and then NC State then the challenge.

I would be shocked if Connor quit B-ball. It is far from clear he is even a baseball prospect. There is pretty big money is in the family business of NCAA B-ball coaching, unless you can sign a Trout-like contract.

Umm, Connor was drafted decently high out of high school, so he’s definitely at least a prospect. No idea if he makes the big leagues or not, but he should have a shot at least.

What? He’s a tremendous baseball player. He was the preseason 7th best draft prospect in the B1G. Not on his team...in the conference.

Could easily see him hanging up the sneakers for cleats and start focusing on the sport bound to make him $$

Reactions: skydog0784
What? He’s a tremendous baseball player. He was the preseason 7th best draft prospect in the B1G. Not on his team...in the conference.

Could easily see him hanging up the sneakers for cleats and start focusing on the sport bound to make him $$

Last year the 7th best player in the B10 wasn't drafted until the 7th or 8th round, the accolade sounds better on paper than in practice. Most wouldn't sign pro for that. And he won't even be eligible again for the MLB draft until 2020 (have to be in D1 for 3 years).

The key phrase here is, “If his skill set is ready to play.” To the extent that is true, ‘some’ minutes will be found for JoeT. This just reflects a skill set need rather than a wild projection of how good he’ll be.

Last year the 7th best player in the B10 wasn't drafted until the 7th or 8th round, the accolade sounds better on paper than in practice. Most wouldn't sign pro for that. And he won't even be eligible again for the MLB draft until 2020 (have to be in D1 for 3 years).

Have to turn 21 by mid August of draft year (if D1 player) which he will be.

And not saying he should go after this year anyway. But for some posters to question if he’s even a baseball prospect or not...he is. Imagine if he played baseball only.

So before JoeT even steps foot on campus, he is already one of the top 3 guards on the team? I haven't seen CJ or JoeT play a minute of college basketball to even try to determine who might be better. Highlight tapes are not a great indicator for any player. I hope CJ and JoeT are great for Iowa but until they step on the floor, no one knows.

Last edited:
All depends on how the team meshes and plays together. If they play team ball and are not playing Hero ball I think they can be tough.

I just think guard play and defense have to improve. If we can make any strides defensively that will be HUGE. NonConf schedule looks competitive and finally are challenging the team. Also the BIG will be tough once again! If we can get top 6 next year that will be a good year.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I’ve heard the rumors on Pemsl as well. People in Dubuque have said his knees are that of a 40yr old MLB catcher. Just a rumor though.

Personally hope Cook comes back and Connor concentrates on baseball. But who knows. So next year we will have 14 scholly players with 12 w/significant PT. Wow that’s a lot of bodies for not a lot of minutes.

Iowa will have 13 players on scholarship if everyone returns, Cook, Kriener, Bohannan, Dailey, Moss, Pemsl, Garza, Nunge, Wieskamp, CMac, Fredrick, PMac, & Toussaint

ADVERTISEMENT