ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup predictions for the Exhibition game in 10 days and beyond.

I think that sometimes McCaffery sees something in a player, call it greatness, that the player just doesn't want to work to achieve. Not saying that was the case with Bowen, but my expectations were raised when he got here and I don't believe he ever really met them. He never was the above average, consistent player I had hoped for. That's fine, if the player decides that being good, is enough and leaves the greatness for the next guy.

I've been so far removed from Iowa athletics for most of the Summer, and now all of a sudden we trot out our newest version of the Hawkeyes on Friday night. Unreal! Might as well feel positive until proven otherwise.
Bowen was a mystery. It seemed he was lacking confidence or confused by what Fran's expectations of the pg position were. Did he want another Conner? Or did he want the quickness and driving ability of a Bowen (although he had trouble finishing at the rim).

This year we will find out.

I'm with you, I hope Fran let's Brock run the offense without fear of being pulled because of a mistake. Brock can run set offensives with the best of them, but his forte is improvising, and finding open players, he's quick, fast, turns on a dime, is a magician with the basketball. His height is a question mark for sure that may be a concern, but what I've seen even from last year when an opposing player begins to drag him into the interior he calls for a switch and he tries to stay away form under the basket. Doesn't work every time, he's going to get burnt occasional, but so does every player, even the best of them. He's the floor general that Iowa has longed for since Fran started at Iowa. Just give him a chance, he won't disappoint.
I have to say I was one of the posters here who was not thrilled that Iowa offered Harding. My main beef was that Harding would be a defensive liability joining a team already seriously lacking defense. His lack of size would make him an easy mark, bigger B10 guards will abuse him.

I still have those concerns but after watching him in limited action, I’m solidly in the pro-Harding camp. The guy is smart, fearless, and showed signs of being a wizard with basketball. I think his offensive prowess will more than offset any defensive shortcomings….which seemed to improve with more time on the court. If he can improve his outside shooting watch out.

Bowen was a mystery. It seemed he was lacking confidence or confused by what Fran's expectations of the pg position were. Did he want another Conner? Or did he want the quickness and driving ability of a Bowen (although he had trouble finishing at the rim).

This year we will find out.

I liked Bowen’s potential and Fran had him on a short leash. But he was a shoot first PG who played poor defense and was not a good shooter. His passing ability was meh. Best of luck to him.

Bowen: A shoot first PG who isn't a good shooter ...... sounds like a problem :)

He actually would pass up open 3's to drive, then would try to jump into defenders and double clutch a shot. It was fairly ugly.

He never was a special passer either.

Fran has tried to add athletic guards, but they are all Top 150-200 guys and lack skill (Joe T, Bowen, Ulis, etc). Getting athletic AND skilled guards is tough because almost every one of THOSE guys is Top 75, black, and out of state. Very hard to get them to Iowa, even harder with NIL.

I liked Bowen’s potential and Fran had him on a short leash. But he was a shoot first PG who played poor defense and was not a good shooter. His passing ability was meh. Best of luck to him.

Bowen: A shoot first PG who isn't a good shooter ...... sounds like a problem :)

He actually would pass up open 3's to drive, then would try to jump into defenders and double clutch a shot. It was fairly ugly.

Fran has tried to add athletic guards, but they are all Top 150-200 guys and lack skill (Joe T, Bowen, Ulis, etc). Getting athletic AND skilled guards is tough because almost every one of THOSE guys is Top 75, black, and out of state. Very hard to get them to Iowa, even harder with NIL.
Probably why he added Harding. Not sure who else offered Brock, but probably not many power conference teams. I'm still not sure what Fran expects from his pg's, Conner was great assist to TO ratio, but sucked at shooting. JBo was a great shooter but defensive liability and not a great ball handler. Not someone to break a press or break down defenses. BH has some ability to break down man to man defense's, but has yet to show ability to knock down three's & is also a defensive liability. Has quickness, but has not shown to be a lock down on ball defender.

IMO, Fran would love a taller physical pg who doesn't turn the ball over, keeps his man in front of him & can knock down three's at a 35% clip. These complete pg's are hard to come by.

And yet for the last 30 years ISU has had zero problems spanning so many coaches I can't even remember them all.

The idea that they are all Top 75 is not true, again see isu. Most of MM have better guard play than Iowa most years.

Joe Toussaint went to two other p5 programs and played more than he did at Iowa and both teams went to the tournament.

Fran is the reason Fran doesn't get good pgs.

Joe Toussaint went to two other p5 programs and played more than he did at Iowa and both teams went to the tournament.

Joe T was also a senior and 5th year senior on those teams. Of course it stands to reason he'll perform better than he did as an underclassman. All 5 of his years were played on NCAAT teams and he never made it to the second weekend on any of his teams. Not making a Sweet 16 or having a national caliber PG isn't strictly a Fran-only problem.

I do agree that ISU has had success with athletic guards. Not all of them were good shooters or worked out however, if we were to make a list, but they've had more success.

Some of them were highly ranked, so the question is - how did they get them?

It isn't because Ames is more urban, that's for sure.

Coaching charisma? Recruiting practices? $$$ ? More of a black culture in the locker room perhaps?

It's not easy getting minorities from out of state to Iowa if there is any serious competition for their services. Would love to have the inside scoop on what is really going on. Fran works hard at recruiting and generally is a good talent evaluator. He also plays by the rules and doesn't work with the "handlers" like some others might be willing to do (?).....

Reactions: iabcuda
And yet for the last 30 years ISU has had zero problems spanning so many coaches I can't even remember them all.

The idea that they are all Top 75 is not true, again see isu. Most of MM have better guard play than Iowa most years.

He sure seems to be the reason that they don't stay.

Reactions: LukaDuka
He sure seems to be the reason that they don't stay.

They don't stay because they aren't very good. That's a talent evaluation or development issue, not a retention issue. Do I think ISU's staff could have gotten more development out of Ulis, Bowen or Joe T than Fran's staff did? Nope. They just didn't pan out, so probably a failed experiment, but as far as retention their playing time went down because they weren't good players in our system, period. So they left, and I think it made sense for both parties.

Joe T maybe fit some very narrow types of offenses, but he wasn't a very efficient player on either end. If you want to play havoc ball he could do some things, but in the half court he was not a very efficient player because he couldn't shoot, wasn't a high level passer, and was prone to bad shots or travels when driving hard to the basket.

They don't stay because they aren't very good. That's a talent evaluation or development issue, not a retention issue. Do I think ISU's staff could have gotten more development out of Ulis, Bowen or Joe T than Fran's staff did? Nope. They just didn't pan out, so probably a failed experiment, but as far as retention their playing time went down because they weren't good players in our system, period. So they left, and I think it made sense for both parties.

Joe T maybe fit some very narrow types of offenses, but he wasn't a very efficient player on either end. If you want to play havoc ball he could do some things, but in the half court he was not a very efficient player because he couldn't shoot, wasn't a high level passer, and was prone to bad shots or travels when driving hard to the basket.
Not disagreeing with your take, but Fran didn't exactly instill confidence in any of them. They were always looking over their shoulders when they'd make a mistake. They were on very short leashes. Conner never had this issue. Sure, he never made many mistakes given his TO/assist ratio. But he didn't take risks either. Was never a threat to drive the ball into the lane. He was a feed the post pg.

Which brings me back to my question of what does Fran want in a pg? He has Harding, who can drive the lane but can he finish consistently? He hasn't shown consistent shooting either. & seems to me is a defensive liability. Ulis, JoeT & Bowen were not great finishers. The defended ok. Thelwell? Is he a do it all type? I guess we will find out soon enough.

Not disagreeing with your take, but Fran didn't exactly instill confidence in any of them. They were always looking over their shoulders when they'd make a mistake. They were on very short leashes. Conner never had this issue. Sure, he never made many mistakes given his TO/assist ratio. But he didn't take risks either. Was never a threat to drive the ball into the lane. He was a feed the post pg.

Which brings me back to my question of what does Fran want in a pg? He has Harding, who can drive the lane but can he finish consistently? He hasn't shown consistent shooting either. & seems to me is a defensive liability. Ulis, JoeT & Bowen were not great finishers. The defended ok. Thelwell? Is he a do it all type? I guess we will find out soon enough.
It sounds like starting tomorrow and in future games we will find out if your concerns about Harding is warranted, you are not the only one that has doubts about his being successful.

It sounds like starting tomorrow and in future games we will find out if your concerns about Harding is warranted, you are not the only one that has doubts about his being successful.
There is no game until Nov. 4th. Tx A&M-Commerce. The first few games are seemingly cupcakes.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10

I think you are partly correct, they turned out to not be great all-round PGs, but I am not sure that your take that the coaching staff did not play a role in the failure to perform is correct. Confidence plays a huge role in sports, and if anything, Fran seemed to squash their confidence. I still believe the Mike Gesell is the best all-round PG Fran has had at Iowa.

I think you are partly correct, they turned out to not be great all-round PGs, but I am not sure that your take that the coaching staff did not play a role in the failure to perform is correct. Confidence plays a huge role in sports, and if anything, Fran seemed to squash their confidence. I still believe the Mike Gesell is the best all-round PG Fran has had at Iowa.
Loved Gessell, but his 3 pt shooting wasn't great & end of game free throws were atrocious. Loved it when they beat UNC with the Cedar Rapids pg. I think Gessell dunked on him.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/400587819/iowa-north-carolina

In regards to Harding….he played limited minutes as a freshman…..so I don’t think we can know for sure what he is capable of or what he can do consistently.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Tell Justin Wieck there’s no game tomorrow.
Sure, what's his number?

Sexy Cute Girl GIF

In regards to Harding….he played limited minutes as a freshman…..so I don’t think we can know for sure what he is capable of or what he can do consistently.
Perkins and Dix played a lot of pg minutes. I'd argue Bowen didn't get much of a shot of showing what he is capable either.

Fran doesn't handle his pg's very well. IMO

I hope you are including Mulvey in this "recruited competent players" thoughts.
Absolutely true on that one. For three years we've been hearing how he's going to contribute. Given the frontcourt talent Fran brought in, I'll be shocked if he plays 3 or 4 minutes a game in this his FOURTH season. If Fran was sold on him being a key player this season then he should have gone after another guard for the roster where we're still a little thin.

Agree on the short leash, but Ulis was a better defender than Joe T and certainly Bowen by a country mile. Not flashy but very effective.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I do agree that ISU has had success with athletic guards. Not all of them were good shooters or worked out however, if we were to make a list, but they've had more success.

Some of them were highly ranked, so the question is - how did they get them?

It isn't because Ames is more urban, that's for sure.

Coaching charisma? Recruiting practices? $$$ ? More of a black culture in the locker room perhaps?

It's not easy getting minorities from out of state to Iowa if there is any serious competition for their services. Would love to have the inside scoop on what is really going on. Fran works hard at recruiting and generally is a good talent evaluator. He also plays by the rules and doesn't work with the "handlers" like some others might be willing to do (?).....
The biggest reason Fran doesn't get many good guards is he simply doesn't offer enough of them. It's a numbers game.

He spends the majority of his scholarships on tweener forwards and post players.

He only plays 1 or 2 guards at a time while most coaches are playing 3 or even 4.

He's never lucked out on a diamond in the rough guard because he doesn't bring in very many guards.

Fran had Wes Washpun in his back yard and he didn't want him but he wanted Oglesby. Accordingly to Roy Marble he could have had Montee Morris, who was not highly rated, and Fran didn't want him. Those two would have easily been the best two guards in Frans tenure.

Fran doesn't value smaller athletic guards who play defense and drive the basketball. He wants tall shooters who move the ball with the pass.

Fran has said many times in interviews he doesn't want guys who "pound the ball". Now how many top 150 black guards are there that don't "pound the ball"? Few if any.

Fran gets the guys he gets because that's what he wants.

Perkins and Dix played a lot of pg minutes. I'd argue Bowen didn't get much of a shot of showing what he is capable either.

Fran doesn't handle his pg's very well. IMO
I get that sentiment….. but I don’t know how to resolve that with Dev Marble, Mike G, Jordan B, and Tony playing that position pretty successfully.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I get that sentiment….. but I don’t know how to resolve that with Dev Marble, Mike G, Jordan B, and Tony playing that position pretty successfully.

Yeah, in my view it was a recruitment miss, not anything that went wrong on campus. Bowen's game simply wasn't very good - you can't play at this level if you can't hit the 3, don't have a mid-range, and can't finish at the rim lol. His passing for a PG was very basic as well. My guess is that Fran was pickng up some Top 200 athletes that he though from the time he offered could grow into a B10 PG, and they just didn't develop their game enough.

Bowen would pump fake a wide open 3, drive the paint, and his finishing move was to jump into defenders looking for a foul if he didn't have an open layup. It was very, very poor. Fran sees him in practice so I don['t buy any argument that you "should play them more" in real games. You either have skills or you don't. They don't magically show up just because there are now referees and a crowd.

In basketball you need at least 1 and ideally 2 players who can create an advantage and force the defense to send help defenders. This gets the defense in rotation and now your other 3 or 4 players who maybe are only dump off dunkers or catch and shoot guys on the arc can get into the action. So if you have a dominant post who requires double teams, or if you have a guard who can get deep penetration and make a pass, you are in business. THIS is why Harding is so special, is because not only can he get penetration very easily, HE CAN MAKE THE RIGHT PASS. Joe T and others struggled to get penetration and remain under control, and also didn't have the vision or skill when passing that Harding has.

Harding has limitations - size on defense, ability to finish around the rim against B10 defenders, perimeter shooting consistency. But if he starts to shoot the 3 better to set up his drives, and figures out what inside shots he can make (floaters et al) he is going to be REALLY special on offense because he seems to get inside at will and has great vision. This is INVALUABLE offensively. We'll see how well he can defend. The defensive side is where Thelwell might be extra valuable because in some games our other players can find shots on their own (Freeman; Sandfort, Dix) and maybe we don't need Harding as much, but they have a guard who is killing us. Enter Thelwell.

BTW Freeman will require doubles this year. Sandfort maybe not as much as he's not a post or driving type player but you can't leave him due to his shooting. Dix is good enough off the bounce to draw help. All of this bodes well for our offense.

The biggest reason Fran doesn't get many good guards is he simply doesn't offer enough of them. It's a numbers game.

He spends the majority of his scholarships on tweener forwards and post players.

He only plays 1 or 2 guards at a time while most coaches are playing 3 or even 4.

He's never lucked out on a diamond in the rough guard because he doesn't bring in very many guards.

Fran had Wes Washpun in his back yard and he didn't want him but he wanted Oglesby. Accordingly to Roy Marble he could have had Montee Morris, who was not highly rated, and Fran didn't want him. Those two would have easily been the best two guards in Frans tenure.

Fran doesn't value smaller athletic guards who play defense and drive the basketball. He wants tall shooters who move the ball with the pass.

Fran has said many times in interviews he doesn't want guys who "pound the ball". Now how many top 150 black guards are there that don't "pound the ball"? Few if any.

Tyler Ulis

This is what I've been trying to tell people, he likes positionless basketball & the tweeners who can shoot the rock. And tie ball pounding point guards that hinder ball movement. I believe this in a nutshell is Brock.

Oh you don’t say! Wow, I thought he was Hawk for all three of his seasons in college!
You throw out his name, but who would you have gone to? Fran or Cal? Iowa or Kentucky. Probably another dozen or so names you could provide that Fran got over recruited by bigger/better programs. The pg from Minnesota who went to Gonzaga is one.

You throw out his name, but who would you have gone to? Fran or Cal? Iowa or Kentucky. Probably another dozen or so names you could provide that Fran got over recruited by bigger/better programs. The pg from Minnesota who went to Gonzaga is one.
“The PG” just signed a $150,000,000 contract & is an All NBA defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT