ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup predictions for the Exhibition game in 10 days and beyond.

IllQChawk

HB Heisman
May 29, 2001
Remember Fran has only started one player in the last 7 years as a freshman, Joe Wieskamp, and only one portal player, Philp Rebraca. Here's my prediction, OWEN FREEMAN, PAYTON SANDFORD, LADJI DEMBELE, JOSH DIX, and the diminutive BROCK HARDING.

You are probably correct.
But possibly the BEST lineup may be: Freeman, Tadjo, Payton S., Dix, and Harding. This is not a slight in any way to Dembele (whom Fran has said progressed greatly this off-season). But the clips from practice show plays that are AMAZING for a man of Tadjo's size. He is as tall as Dembele with a wider frame and even more athleticism (and Dembele is very athletic). He showed that he can dribble like a wing and lead the break. And he made multiple 3s in those clips and a fall away mid-range. Whenever that light goes on .... look out.

That, by the way, would be 4 guys with NBA potential on the court at once. (Salivating).

You are probably correct.
But possibly the BEST lineup may be: Freeman, Tadjo, Payton S., Dix, and Harding. This is not a slight in any way to Dembele (whom Fran has said progressed greatly this off-season). But the clips from practice show plays that are AMAZING for a man of Tadjo's size. He is as tall as Dembele with a wider frame and even more athleticism (and Dembele is very athletic). He showed that he can dribble like a wing and lead the break. And he made multiple 3s in those clips and a fall away mid-range. Whenever that light goes on .... look out.

That, by the way, would be 4 guys with NBA potential on the court at once. (Salivating).
Venciene from the Athletic has Iowa with 2 possible NBA picks. No other team has more than 2 except for Illinois (4): Jakucionis, Riley, Boswell, Humrichous.

Reactions: wilson reborn
On June 5th I wondered if what follows would be the rotations; I am going to stick with this. Hopefully Fran does not go much deeper than 10.

David Eickholt, a beat reporter for 24/7, reported on July 8 that he wouldn't be surprised to see Traore start at the 4.

Note that there are just 2 seniors in the top 10.

Starting 5:
6’3” PG Drew Thelwell (SR)
6'5" SG Josh Dix (JR)
6'7" F Payton Sandfort (SR)
6’7” PF Seydou Traore (SO)
6'10" C Owen Freeman (SO)

Next 5 off the bench:
6'0" PG Brock Harding (SO)
6'7" F Cooper Koch (FR)
6'7" F Pryce Sandfort (SO)
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele (SO)
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo (FR)

Other 3 scholarship players:
6'11" C Riley Mulvey (JR)
6'9" F/C Even Brauns (SR)
6'5" SG Carter Kingsbury (JR)

Harding/Dix/Pa. Sandfort/Tadjo/Freeman

Thelwell/Pr. Sandfort/Koch/Traore/Dembele
This isn't a bad top 10. I don't know that anyone would be sad about any of those 10 starting at some point. I also think any of them could go off for double digits in points in any given game. Add in a little Riley Mulvey (when they need a little extra size and extra fouls).

Remember Fran has only started one player in the last 7 years as a freshman, Joe Wieskamp, and only one portal player, Philp Rebraca. Here's my prediction, OWEN FREEMAN, PAYTON SANDFORD, LADJI DEMBELE, JOSH DIX, and the diminutive BROCK HARDING.
Krikke started last year.

Rebraca and Krikke have been the only two decent players he's had from the portal prior to this year.

Fran mentioned he might, at times, play Dix at the 1 and Pryce at the 2 (Pryce has been shooting lights out).
Of course he will. I called this 6 months ago.

Eventually Fran will find an excuse to play Dix, both Sandforts and Koch at the same time. Because they're all tall and can all shoot and those two things are what he values most.

Krikke started last year.

Rebraca and Krikke have been the only two decent players he's had from the portal prior to this year.
Thank you for correcting me on my omission of Krikke, he was by far one of the worse defensive players, game after game, that started for Fran in Fan's 14 years. It was just one of the reasons that Desonte Bowen lost his starting position and eventually left Iowa,

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT