ADVERTISEMENT

State Title Games

gohawks7470

All-Conference
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2012
Did anyone else think that neither Sandfort or DeVries looked the part of a D1 player? Waukee result struggled to get into their offense. Just 1 performance but based on it, I’d hold out for better recruits.
In the 3A title game, I know he’s short but Bowen Born looked good. I really hope we didn’t miss out not offering him.

Yeah, I'd like to know more about Ankeny's point guard, who looked like the best player in the whole tourney. Whatever Waukee's game plan was for the championship game, it was a disaster. Waukee was only a shadow of itself in that game. A top player like DeVries should not have been held scoreless in the first half. In all three tourney games Ankeny was the very definite aggressor, and it paid off. It made the other teams look like they were playing to lose. I think the Waukee coach looked bewildered or psyched out. Of course Ankeny was absolutely unconscious from the three, (something like 14 for 22) which is the main reason they won..

As far as Born, he is a wizard with the ball. However, the whole offense is built around him and he takes 30- 40 shots a game. The other players are actually all good players on his team. However, if the game was a couple minutes longer, Sergeant Bluff-Luten might have won, as they dominated the end of the game to lose only by two points.

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the Clear Creek/Ballard 3rd place game. T.J. Bollers certainly looks like a good all-around athlete. 6 for 6 from the line...

Sandfort played pretty well the whole tourney although he rolled his ankle Friday, but Devries played Waukee out of the game early. I can definitely see what Fran sees in Sandfort, probably not a star but a great shooter with good size. Born didn’t play well Friday either, it happens.

I take it you are able to watch the games online or TV somewhere? That would have been an interesting watch to see some recruits. I'll have to try and remember that for next year.

Waukee was much slower and much less quick than Ankeny. Sandfort is a nice player, but his athleticism will limit his ceiling at a Big10 level, IMO. Probably worth an offer and could be a solid roll player, but will need better players around him. Not sure what to say about DeVries. That was an atrocious game, and they may have done better playing 4 on 5 in the 1st half. He couldn’t turn the ball over fast enough. Both Sandfort kids and DeVries will all be back(I think). Will be interesting to see how they progress.

3a. That was a very good game I thought. I’ve seen Born several times and love his game. SB-Luton was a tough match for him. Incredibly long athletic team. It’s one thing getting double teamed, it’s another thing to get double teamed with an athletic 6’7 guy with a big athletic 6’8 guy waiting at the rim if he beat the double team. Born was only 6-21 for the game which I would guess was his worst shooting game of the year. SB-Luton had a lot to do with that, but he did have a few shots go half way down and back out. As to an earlier comment, Maybe you were exaggerating, but Born averaged 22 shots a game this season. No where near 30-40 a game. But I want a guy that shoots 55% from the field 41% from 3 and almost 90% from the line to dominate the ball.
I think if those two teams played 10 times it would be 6-4 Norwalk at the most. SB-Luton was impressive.

Reactions: Greenway12
Did Ankeny win? What year his their PG who tore up ICW?
Yeah, I'd like to know more about Ankeny's point guard, who looked like the best player in the whole tourney. Whatever Waukee's game plan was for the championship game, it was a disaster. Waukee was only a shadow of itself in that game. A top player like DeVries should not have been held scoreless in the first half. In all three tourney games Ankeny was the very definite aggressor, and it paid off. It made the other teams look like they were playing to lose. I think the Waukee coach looked bewildered or psyched out. Of course Ankeny was absolutely unconscious from the three, (something like 14 for 22) which is the main reason they won..

As far as Born, he is a wizard with the ball. However, the whole offense is built around him and he takes 30- 40 shots a game. The other players are actually all good players on his team. However, if the game was a couple minutes longer, Sergeant Bluff-Luten might have won, as they dominated the end of the game to lose only by two points.

Braxton Bayless is Ankeny’s PG and it was pretty clear to me he was the best player in the tournament. He’s a senior who’s probably heading to a JC next year. His father Ron played two seasons at ISU 1991-93. His game reminds me a lot of his dad’s game, he has similar size as well at 6’1” so unless he really blows up at JC, he’s probably looking like his ceiling is a low to mid major D1 program.

Reactions: El Simbolo
How are these games being played with the corona virus and all? I thought it was too dangerous?

Reactions: Kurt Warner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT