ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State QB Kyle McCord enters transfer portal. What’s next for Buckeyes?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord announced Monday that he entered the transfer portal. Here’s what you need to know:

• McCord started all 12 games for the Buckeyes this season. He completed 65.8 percent of his passes and tallied 3,170 yards, 24 touchdowns and six interceptions in an inconsistent season.
  • After sitting behind C.J. Stroud for two years, McCord beat out Devin Brown for the job in preseason camp and helped Ohio State to an 11-1 record.
  • A five-star recruit, McCord signed with Ohio State in the Class of 2021 out of Philadelphia’s St. Joseph’s Prep and has one year of eligibility remaining.
  • When asked Sunday if McCord was his starting quarterback going into the Cotton Bowl against Missouri and beyond, Ohio State coach Ryan Day didn’t give a definitive answer.

Evaluating McCord​

When at his best, McCord shows off elite arm talent. He can sometimes get rushed in the pocket, which impacts his feet, but he has a strong arm and throws the ball on a line in tight windows. When he wasn’t pressured this season, McCord ranked seventh nationally in pass efficiency rating, per TruMedia. Don’t let the loss to Michigan or some of his inconsistencies fool you: McCord has talent.

Advertisement

But Ohio State had offensive line issues this season and McCord struggled against pressure, ranking 94th in pass efficiency rating by completing 39.2 percent of his passes. It’s definitely not up to the caliber of an Ohio State starting quarterback. That also trickled over to his progressions on the field. McCord had a tendency to look at his first target, and if it wasn’t there he was either pressured or checking it down to a running back. The checkdowns are fine, but he missed people running open downfield. He seemed to find a rhythm as the games went on, but those issues hurt Ohio State in the first halves of games. You never knew from drive to drive whether you’d get the elite arm talent or the quarterback who wasn’t comfortable in the pocket.

McCord may have seen the writing on the wall that Day was going to look into the transfer portal at quarterback options and perhaps did not want to go through another QB competition in Columbus after already winning one last summer.

What happens for the Cotton Bowl?​

Who plays in the Cotton Bowl against Missouri seems like an easy answer: It should be Brown. But he was banged up throughout the season and didn’t see much playing time after he got injured on a quarterback run near the goal line against Purdue.

He did battle with McCord down to the wire this summer for the quarterback, and you can see the upside with his legs. We haven’t seen him be forced into a position where he has to make throws downfield to move the offense consistently, though.

If it’s not Brown, Ohio State could go in a few ways. Oregon State transfer Tristan Gebbia, a seventh-year senior, could end his career leading the Buckeyes in the New Year’s Six Bowl or Ohio State could turn to freshman Lincoln Kienholz, who has impressed people behind the scenes in practice.

Advertisement

Brown is the most likely choice, but regardless, Day is going to give everybody reps in the practices leading up to the bowl game.

Going forward, the Buckeyes are set to return Brown and Kienholz and add Class of 2024 five-star recruit Air Noland.

Who can Ohio State target in the transfer portal?​

The biggest name is Washington State’s Cameron Ward. He’ll be among the most sought-after quarterbacks in the portal because of his talent, but also his experience. After starring in the FCS at Incarnate Word, he played in 25 games for the Cougars and completed 65.5 percent of his passes for 6,968 passes, 48 touchdowns and 16 interceptions in two years. He’s going to be one to watch for a lot of the West Coast teams also looking for quarterbacks, including potentially USC and Oregon.

Coastal Carolina’s Grayson McCall is a three-time Sun Belt Player of the Year who threw for over 10,000 yards in his five years at Coastal Carolina. He’ll be the most experienced option in the portal, though he hasn’t played at the Power 5 level yet.

Oregon State and former Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei is back in the portal. He has had an up-and-down career, playing three years at Clemson before transferring to Oregon State, where he threw for a career-high 2,638 yards, 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions this season.

Kansas State quarterback Will Howard is an interesting player because of his experience. He threw for 5,786 yards in four years at Kansas State and led the Wildcats to the 2022 Big 12 title game. He was terrific in the loss to Texas this year, throwing for 327 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. Though he’s completed under 60 percent of his passes for his career, he remains one of the better options in the portal as of Monday morning.

Reactions: h-hawk and TJ8869
My gut feeling is that Ryan Day told him he plans to get a new QB from the portal and that McCord will not be the starter next year.

Guy went 11-1 and the head coach is looking for a new starter?

I guess I havn't followed OSU but was OSU winning in spite of their QB?

Basically, college football is now a professional sport with perpetual free agency. The results of predictable. The NCAA is nothing but a hapless sack of goldbricks who recognize the spell of money but nothing else.

I dont understand why we cling on to this pretense of academics.

Just spin it off already. Guys being offered over $1 m to transfer? Come on.

There is a huge jump in the value of NIL deals this year. I have to think he's looking for a better deal and either Day can't or won't match offers he is getting. This is the world we are living in. Does anyone think Iowa would have been able to keep Bethard here under today's rules?

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
College sports are now just a minor league for the pros, with the requirement that they attend classes and get an education, somewhere. (emphasis on requirement to attend classes)

Reactions: cigaretteman
Oklahoma's starting qb Dillon Gabriel (formerly UCF's starter) into the portal, too.

Dont know if he has inside info or just thought that was the case, either way Clark deleted a tweet about Ward to OSU

Iowa defensive lineman Anterio Thompson has entered the transfer portal, he said Monday morning on social media.

Thompson spent one season with the Hawkeyes after transferring from Iowa Western Community College.

Thompson was a key contributor on special teams, blocking punts in Iowa’s wins against Western Michigan and Northwestern. He rarely saw playing time on defense, though.

“I would like to thank the entire Iowa coaching staff, more specifically Coach (Kelvin) Bell, for allowing me to play in black and gold this season and for letting me be a part of this amazing program,” Thompson said on social media. “The memories I have made here are going to stick with me for the rest of my life.”

The Dubuque native is Iowa’s second scholarship player to announce plans to enter the transfer portal, joining reserve defensive back Brenden Deasfernandes.

Thompson will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Iowa defensive lineman Anterio Thompson has entered the transfer portal, he said Monday morning on social media.

Thompson spent one season with the Hawkeyes after transferring from Iowa Western Community College.

Thompson was a key contributor on special teams, blocking punts in Iowa’s wins against Western Michigan and Northwestern. He rarely saw playing time on defense, though.

“I would like to thank the entire Iowa coaching staff, more specifically Coach (Kelvin) Bell, for allowing me to play in black and gold this season and for letting me be a part of this amazing program,” Thompson said on social media. “The memories I have made here are going to stick with me for the rest of my life.”

The Dubuque native is Iowa’s second scholarship player to announce plans to enter the transfer portal, joining reserve defensive back Brenden Deasfernandes.

Thompson will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Didn't see this one coming. I had high hopes for him. Oh well!

My gut feeling is that Ryan Day told him he plans to get a new QB from the portal and that McCord will not be the starter next year.
My guess would be the kid from Washington State. He's pretty damn good.

If what I read is correct, Ryan Day appears to have practically thrown McCord under the bus leaving Ann Arbor.

Crazy...

"When you come up short, the bottom line is you got to look at everything, because you didn't get it done, and that's the thing that is just sobering here," Day said. "At 11-1, you come up short on the last possession, it's just not good enough. So you got to look at everything, and we will look at everything."

see ya

There is a huge jump in the value of NIL deals this year. I have to think he's looking for a better deal and either Day can't or won't match offers he is getting. This is the world we are living in. Does anyone think Iowa would have been able to keep Bethard here under today's rules?
The numbers we are hearing are BS. I doubt kids are getting half of the dollar amounts being thrown around.

Duffy (which was expected)....just crazy how many QBs from D1 are transferring.
It's the new normal, at least for QBs. If you're not starting, you're transferring, but you only get one chance to make the right move unless you stick around long enough and transfer again as a grad student.

The world of major college athletics under the new wild west of NIL is, and will continue to become a world of suck.

Duffy (which was expected)....just crazy how many QBs from D1 are transferring.

Going by repeated comments on FSU message boards, Duffy wasn’t about being a college football player. Apparently he is living out his father’s dream. I wonder if the father is driving the transfer as well or if FSU wanted to open up the roster spot.

The numbers we are hearing are BS. I doubt kids are getting half of the dollar amounts being thrown around.
I don't think so. I think they are pretty accurate for a lot of schools with big donors. Ewers got at least a million from Ohio State and probably more at Texas.

Guy went 11-1 and the head coach is looking for a new starter?

I guess I havn't followed OSU but was OSU winning in spite of their QB?
He was pretty underwhelming. Had one of the best receiving groups in the history of the ncaa and was just pretty good. Spencer Petras could have had success with them.

Reactions: SolarHawk
I’m surprised he wasnt benched this season from what I saw of him. He was very mediocre, the missing piece for the buckeyes was the qb position. If they had a stroud this year they’re in the playoffs.

Reactions: ping72
Iowa wide receiver Diante Vines has entered the transfer portal, multiple sources confirmed to The Gazette on Monday afternoon.

The fourth-year wide receiver had 12 catches for 134 yards this season as one of Iowa’s starting wide receivers although he missed three games because of an injury.

Vines arrived on campus in 2020 and first saw game action in 2021. The Danbury, Conn., native finished his Hawkeye career with 22 career catches for 228 receiving yards.

Vines, who will have two years of eligibility remaining, is the first offensive player from Iowa’s 2023 roster to enter the portal.

Wide receiver has been an area of high attrition in recent years for the Hawkeyes, who lost Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV in last year’s portal cycle. The year before that, Tyrone Tracy Jr. and Charlie Jones were among the wideouts to transfer.

I don't think so. I think they are pretty accurate for a lot of schools with big donors. Ewers got at least a million from Ohio State and probably more at Texas.
A few guys are getting some large amounts. A lot of kids are boasting, a lot of street agents are lying.
I firmly believe there will be a bottoming out of the amount of money big boosters give purely for players. Boosters want their name on stuff, not to buy a QB that washes out after a year, or for a 2nd string DT.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Interesting stuff going on at OSU. Supposedly Day is being courted by some NFL teams. That might be true, or it might be rumoring by other teams who are competing against OSU for recruits. Day might have also told a bunch of guys there position on the depth chart is not certain, and they are bailing. Who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT