ADVERTISEMENT

States to watch Tuesday Night

artradley

HR Legend
Apr 26, 2013
Here are some battleground states and what their situation should be by the end of the night, using information from the NYTimes Article that outlines the counting rules in each one.

Basically, by the end of the night I think we will know the results for: Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio. Trump needs every one of these. Wisconsin we probably won't know the results until early morning (3/6am). Georgia we will know the next day. Michigan and Pennsylvania won't be known for some time.

So if, on election night, Biden has won Florida or Ohio it's all over. If he as won Arizona, North Carolina, or Iowa, things will be looking very good but we probably will need to wait at least a few days. If he loses them all then things could get ugly.

Florida (29)
If Trump wins then we have a contest. If Biden wins, Trump's path to victory is very small. Florida is counting early votes in advance, and will report those first; so this is NOT a state where Trump should jump to an early lead. Hopefully this means his opportunity to throw out the vote here is limited. Hopefully we know the winner by 9:30pm Eastern.

The 538 currently shows Biden with a 68% chance of winning.

Arizona (11)
At 10PM Eastern they should release most of the early voting total. Because they are allowed to begin the counting early, we should have a good projection for Arizona by the end of the night.

538 shows Biden with 71% chance of winning.

Georgia (16)
The state has said it could be a couple of days before the counting is done. There is no particular order between when mail-in votes are counted versus in-person. Since GA is a toss-up, I don't expect us to have any idea who has won on election night.

538 calls this a toss-up

North Carolina (15)
Possibly the first battleground state whose results will be known, with most results reported at 7:30pm. Like Florida, early votes are counted in advance and will be the first ones reported, which is good. They expect 98% to be counted by the end of the evening.

538 gives Biden a 65% chance of winning.

Wisconsin (10)
It appears that most of the state will report totals by 10pm Eastern. However, Milwaukee County is expected to not know their results until 3am to 6am. So Trump might be ahead at 10pm, then lose it by early morning. The state legislature is controlled by the GOP, but with a Democrat governor and a possible large Biden lead, the chances for a Trump "steal" seems unlikely.

538 gives Biden a 94% chance of winning.

Michigan (16)
They cannot start counting mail-in votes until election day, and in-person results will be reported first. So Trump could be in the lead on election night then watch it go away over the next week. Expect final results in a week, but we might know much earlier if Biden wins handily. A Democratic governor hopefully decreases the chances of Trump having the results thrown out.

538 gives Biden a 95 chance of winning

Ohio (18)
Ohio's results ought to be known by the end of the night, unless they are so close (a possibility) that a recount is needed. They will count and report early votes first, which is always a good thing. First results will start at 8pm Eastern. If Biden were to win this one it is game over.

538 calls this a tossup.

Iowa (6)
Iowa has until November 9th to count all votes, so unless Trump has a comfortable lead on election night we won't know the results for a week.

538 gives Trump a 61% chance of winning Iowa

Texas (38)
With a lead in the polls and this GOP-controlled state actively working to throw out Democrat votes, this is not really a battleground state, imo. However, if Biden is actually leading election night that would be all she wrote. We will probably have a good idea where Texas stands by 10pm, and counting should be complete the next day.

538 gives Trump a 61% chance of winning Texas

Pennsylvania (20)
As luck would have it, the single most important state is probably the last state whose results will be known. Mail-in votes cannot be counted until election day, so Trump is likely to be leading on election night and it will take probably four or five days for all votes to be counted. While the governor is a Democrat, the legislature is controlled by the GOP and you know for certain this is a state Trump will challenge. The best possible outcome is that Biden actually leads on election night; or he wins a state like Florida or Ohio to make a challenge seem useless. Note that currently Democrats have return 3x as many mail-in ballots as Republicans. So a Biden lead on election night is unlikely, but if it is there it would be insurmountable.

If the election is not decided by November 4th, PA is going to be a warzone.

538 gives Biden an 87% chance of winning PA if the voters are allowed to decide.

Last edited:
Here is my last map prediction. I'm hoping Biden takes Florida early, but I'm ready for a close white knuckle race tomorrow night.

l0KNr.png

Here are some battleground states and what their situation should be by the end of the night, using information from the NYTimes Article that outlines the counting rules in each one.

Basically, by the end of the night I think we will know the results for: Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio. Trump needs every one of these. Wisconsin we probably won't know the results until early morning (3/6am). Georgia we will know the next day. Michigan and Pennsylvania won't be known for some time.

So if, on election night, Biden has won Florida or Ohio it's all over. If he as won Arizona, North Carolina, or Iowa, things will be looking very good but we probably will need to wait at least a few days. If he loses them all then things could get ugly.

Florida
If Trump wins then we have a contest. If Biden wins, Trump's path to victory is very small. Florida is counting early votes in advance, and will report those first; so this is NOT a state where Trump should jump to an early lead. Hopefully this means his opportunity to throw out the vote here is limited. Hopefully we know the winner by 9:30pm Eastern.

Arizona
At 10PM Easter they should release most of the early voting total. Because they are allowed to begin the voting early, we should have a good projection for Arizona by the end of the night.

Georgia
The state has said it could be a couple of days before the counting is done. There is no particular order between when mail-in votes are counted versus in-person. Since GA is a toss-up, I don't expect us to have any idea who has won on election night.

538 calls this a toss-up

North Carolina
Possibly the first battleground state whose results will be known, with most results reported at 7:30pm. Like Florida, early votes are counted in advance and will be the first ones reported, which is good. They expect 98% to be counted by the end of the evening.

Wisconsin
It appears that most of the state will report totals by 10pm Eastern. However, Milwaukee County is expected to not know their results until 3am to 6am. So Trump might be ahead at 10pm, then lose it by early morning. The state legislature is controlled by the GOP, but with a Democrat governor and a possible large Biden lead, the chances for a Trump "steal" seems unlikely.

Michigan
They cannot start counting mail-in votes until election day, and in-person results will be reported first. So Trump could be in the lead on election night then watch it go away over the next week. Expect final results in a week, but we might know much earlier if Biden wins handily. A Democratic governor hopefully decreases the chances of Trump having the results thrown out.

Ohio
Ohio's results ought to be known by the end of the night, unless they are so close (a possibility) that a recount is needed. They will count and report early votes first, which is always a good thing. First results will start at 8pm Eastern. If Biden were to win this one it is game over.

538 calls this a tossup.

Iowa
Iowa has until November 9th to count all votes, so unless Trump has a comfortable lead on election night we won't know the results for a week.

Texas
With a lead in the polls and this GOP-controlled state actively working to throw out Democrat votes, this is not really a battleground state, imo. However, if Biden is actually leading election night that would be all she wrote. We will probably have a good idea where Texas stands by 10pm, and counting should be complete the next day.

Pennsylvania
As luck would have it, the single most important state is probably the last state whose results will be known. Mail-in votes cannot be counted until election day, so Trump is likely to be leading on election night and it will take probably four or five days for all votes to be counted. While the governor is a Democrat, the legislature is controlled by the GOP and you know for certain this is a state Trump will challenge. The best possible outcome is that Biden actually leads on election night; or he wins a state like Florida or Ohio to make a challenge seem useless. Note that currently Democrats have return 3x as many mail-in ballots as Republicans. So a Biden lead on election night is unlikely, but if it is there it would be insurmountable.

538 gives Biden an 85% chance of winning PA if the voters are allowed to decide.

Not sure if the wording was off for Arizona, but they were allowed to start counting mail in and early voting ballots 14 days prior to Election Day. So when the polls close her at 8pm, they can release the results already counted.

Also, if Biden wins Florida, it’s over, IMO.

Thanks for this info! I was going to go try to figure out WHEN the early votes which were already counted would be entered into the count, and it is good FL and NC reports these first (no Blue shift or whatever they were calling it).

Here is my last map prediction. I'm hoping Biden takes Florida early, but I'm ready for a close white knuckle race tomorrow night.

l0KNr.png

IMO, your last prediction shouldnt have any leans or toss ups. They are either Biden or Trump wins.

I don't believe President Trump will win Iowa. It will be close.

Thanks for this info! I was going to go try to figure out WHEN the early votes which were already counted would be entered into the count, and it is good FL and NC reports these first (no Blue shift or whatever they were calling it).

I've updated my post to include the link to the NYT article that describes counting procedures in each state.

Basically:
We should know the following election night: Fl, IA, OH, NC, AZ
We should know the following by the end of Wednesday: WI, GA
It might take two or three days for: MI, TX

Pennsylvania is a nightmare.

I dropped off my mail-in ballot and the ballot status has shown the ballot as received but not counted. The status has been this way since Thursday. I am guessing they won't start counting the mail-in ballots until tomorrow.

I wonder how write-in votes are counted? Does the scanner attempt to read the text or puts the ballot in a queue for manual data entry. I can imagine those lengthen the process.

Below are the stats for Palm Beach County. About 37% have used mail-in ballots.

ACTIVE ELIGIBLE VOTERS 1,019,884
TOTAL BALLOTS CAST 619,220
PERCENT TURNOUT 60.71%

• Mail 377,128 (60.90%)
  • Early Voting 242,092 (39.10%)
  • Election Day 0 (0.00%)

I dropped off my mail-in ballot and the ballot status has shown the ballot as received but not counted. The status has been this way since Thursday. I am guessing they won't start counting the mail-in ballots until tomorrow.

I wonder how write-in votes are counted? Does the scanner attempt to read the text or puts the ballot in a queue for manual data entry. I can imagine those lengthen the process.

PERCENT TURNOUT 60.71%

• Mail 377,128 (60.90%)
  • Election Day 0 (0.00%)
What is the website to check to see if your vote was counted? Or is that a Florida thing?

What is the website to check to see if your vote was counted? Or is that a Florida thing?
Pretty sure it is a FL thing. After being the laughing stock of the country in 2000, the state actually got their shit together and has pretty good processes in place.

PERCENT TURNOUT 60.71%

• Mail 377,128 (60.90%)
  • Election Day 0 (0.00%)

Florida has already started counting, so if yours has not been counted that’s a bad sign.

I just can’t understand why any Democratic voter in a battleground state would mail their ballot, given Trump’s very clear message that he is going to challenge those votes, and especially given you are in a state controlled by the craziest elements in the GOP.

As a Floridian, I pray Biden wins Florida, but seeing how recent votes have gone it's going to be close. Our races always seem to come down to a few thousand votes.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The same question should be asked of those predicting the opposite.
The opposite of khael-hawk's predictions are people predicting Biden to have 400+ electoral votes. He's basically predicting 10% error on all state level polling. Trump winning in a similar fashion to how he did in 2016 with narrow victories in key states is possible. If he wins by taking all of those states that really aren't even considered in play by anyone, including the candidates (including Minnesota, New Hampshire, and New Mexico), I and many others would have to change how I consume and interpret information.

Florida has already started counting, so if yours has not been counted that’s a bad sign.

I just can’t understand why any Democratic voter in a battleground state would mail their ballot, given Trump’s very clear message that he is going to challenge those votes, and especially given you are in a state controlled by the craziest elements in the GOP.

I definitely considered it. But the county really "pushed" mail-in voting via mail flyers. And sans 2000, I have high faith in the county in regards to the election. Probably anywhere else, I would not trust the system and vote in person.

PS - my last name starts with S and our precinct number is higher on the list. So could be more of a sorting delay. I will be curious how far apart my ballot vs my wife's ballot will be.

Turnover in officials also.
Much more competent now.

So the lady that was elected in Miami Dade is gone? I forget her name, but she was a magnet for controversy, as recently as the 2018 mid terms. Do you know who I’m talking about?

So the lady that was elected in Miami Dade is gone? I forget her name, but she was a magnet for controversy, as recently as the 2018 mid terms. Do you know who I’m talking about?
Not sure about Dade.
Palm beach county has done a good job of replacing some idiots.

I definitely considered it. But the county really "pushed" mail-in voting via mail flyers. And sans 2000, I have high faith in the county in regards to the election. Probably anywhere else, I would not trust the system and vote in person.

PS - my last name starts with S and our precinct number is higher on the list. So could be more of a sorting delay. I will be curious how far apart my ballot vs my wife's ballot will be.

It's not the county to be worried about. The accuracy of their counting is meaningless if the governor and state legislature decides to declare all mail-in votes fraudulent. And if Biden is ahead, that is nearly a guarantee.

Biden has a lead in early balloting in Florida, but his lead is smaller than Hillary's was in 2016. The Panhandle could decide the Florida vote. If it is close prior to the polls closing in the Panhandle, I think Trump will win Florida.

Biden has a lead in early balloting in Florida, but his lead is smaller than Hillary's was in 2016. The Panhandle could decide the Florida vote. If it is close prior to the polls closing in the Panhandle, I think Trump will win Florida.

That is bad news for the Dems. He is down 3% in Dade compared to Hillary in 16. That is not a recipe for a Biden win in FLA.

Basically I would say if Biden wins FL you can pretty much count on him winning the election as it's unlikely he wins FL but loses PA, Mich, Wis, etc

PA is an important state but we probably won't know for a while.

Of course Georgia and Texas if Biden pulls off the upset in those states I would say he is pretty likely to win.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Are you standing by your claim that by the end of today the polls will miraculously switch to showing Trump the favorite?

LOL.
Never stated any poll was going to show Trump as the favorite. I said the networks would start claiming the races are within the margin of error to CYA. And yes, I do still see this happening this evening.

If this happens, there are millions of people across the country who are completely embarrassed about voting for Trump and would never admit it. I dont think that happens. His base is very strong but his message is not going to win over independents this time around.

The panhandle has come out in early voting like crazy. In my county we're already at like 70% of what total votes were last time. I'd be surprised if election day voting is actually that substantial.

Florida (29)

Arizona (11)
At 10PM Eastern they should release most of the early voting total. Because they are allowed to begin the counting early, we should have a good projection for Arizona by the end of the night.

Georgia (16)

538 calls this a toss-up

North Carolina (15)

Wisconsin (10)

Michigan (16)

Ohio (18)

538 calls this a tossup.

Iowa (6)

Texas (38)

Pennsylvania (20)

538 gives Biden an 87% chance of winning PA if the voters are allowed to decide.
Thanks for doing the work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT