ADVERTISEMENT

Steve King being Steve King

kdb9l.gif

Is he wrong? When democratics continually suppress their voting base it will only continue. The reason there is so much crime in minority neighborhoods is poor economics.

Yeah considering the contributions that the Chinese made or the cradle of civilization I would say yeah he's wrong.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Is he wrong? When democratics continually suppress their voting base it will only continue. The reason there is so much crime in minority neighborhoods is poor economics.
He called all non-white people sub-groups. In a sane would he would be unceremoniously reviled and voted out immediately.

It continues to amaze me how lost we seem to be. Let's say he's right - why is it important? What is he looking to gain by the statement?

White people = good.
No any...I think it is more like ....white people=better...that is what is so sad here. I always remember what the co-worker told me one day as we cleaned pout the traps at the local sanitation waste station one hot humid summer day, knee deep in excrement...."Joel, we're all democrats out here." :) And that is the truth.

Reactions: Khawk4
It continues to amaze me how lost we seem to be. Let's say he's right - why is it important? What is he looking to gain by the statement?
His argument is the equivalent of people with blue eyes or people who can roll their tongue are better than people who don't have blue eyes or can roll their tongue. Do you agree with this statement?

He actually didn't.

He did. Of course he spinned it into "Western civilization" but then proceeded to say "Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and USA as prime examples (because of Christianity). So leaving out Africa (black), Asia (yellow), etc and then calling those people "sub-groups" is pretty much calling everyone not white a sub-group. Of course he put his politician spin on it and you'll be right there to defend is rhetoric. We should be appalled. This isn't his first time of saying something like this.

Reactions: Khawk4
I'd like to think that eventually the people in Western Iowa would grow tired of this cinder block hanging around the entire state's neck, but, I doubt they will. Iowa's only hope to be rid of King is losing another seat in the House. King has grown fond of his no show job with tremendous benefits. He's also grown very fond of acting a fool in public the attention he gets.

Reactions: nowalkin
I think the worst thing about the Trump candidacy is that he's adopted the Steve Kings of the world as his base. Personally, I believe Trump probably isn't really racist/anti-Semitic/homophobic himself, as I don't think he cares, but he's bought into those who feel afflicted, given them voice and stood idly by as they take over as the core of his campaign. We don't need these people gaining more credibility and better standing.

Reactions: hawkland14
Racism aside. . . it would be nice if the man actually studied history.

Seems to be a common theme among those who hold beliefs like his. They get their history from people who believe all the same things they do. They don't read primary source documents, nor do they learn from professional historians.

The man in the white hood said that everything important was invented by white people. He must know what he's talking about!!

He did. Of course he spinned it into "Western civilization" but then proceeded to say "Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and USA as prime examples (because of Christianity). So leaving out Africa (black), Asia (yellow), etc and then calling those people "sub-groups" is pretty much calling everyone not white a sub-group. Of course he put his politician spin on it and you'll be right there to defend is rhetoric. We should be appalled. This isn't his first time of saying something like this.
I can't believe I'm going to defend Steve King on this, but I took it when he said other sub-groups he was considering whites a sub-group as well.

I can't believe I'm going to defend Steve King on this, but I took it when he said other sub-groups he was considering whites a sub-group as well.

I can see what you're saying. Charles Pierce said:

"If you're really optimistic, you can say that this is the last time that old white people will command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face,"

King may be referring to "old white men" as a sub-group as well and asked for evidence of any other sub-group (young white men, young black men, old black men, etc) providing more to society. I can agree with that. We'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but he certainly hasn't earned it from past comments.

Reactions: gusto79

Ok so every demographic is a sub group. He still said that the other sub groups didnt contribute anything to society

Reactions: srams21
Well he's certainly not right when it comes to Arabic numerals. Can you imagine doing long division using Roman numerals?

Ar·a·bic nu·mer·al
noun
plural noun: Arabic numerals
  1. any of the numerals 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Arabic numerals reached western Europe through Arabia, replacing Roman numerals, by about AD 1200, but probably originated in India.

In fact, one could make an argument that the Renaissance period kind of coincided with the start of the wide scale use of Arabic numerals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT