ADVERTISEMENT

Stopped by to see...

...how much Fran's seat has cooled. Looks like he at least no longer has 3rd-degree burns on his arse.

I admittedly have not seen any of your games since Purdue, so what's changed? Is it mostly the return of Garza? Figuring out some things on D?

Good luck the rest of the way. We both get a chance to take down Sparty this week. Let's do it!

I'm assuming you are a Purdue fan, so I'd ask how hot is Painters seat. I use to roll around the PU message board and as a fan base, yours is just as nasty and boorish to their coaches as our...

And I don't get it, Painter has been a damn fine coach, but I'll wager if I head over there right now, there are multiple threads calling for his head...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendy hawk
For the record, I'm not sure Barta and Fran are exactly great buddies. Take it for what its worth....I'd be shocked to find out they "mesh" well philosophically (just a feeling based on some stuff I've heard)...Meaning He isn't keeping him around for any other reason than he views him as a solid coach. And although I also am not a big fan of Fran's histrionics, I am in agreement he is a well above average coach.

Fans are honestly moronic anymore....I wish there were people out loud calling for their heads all the time...Then they'd appreciate how boorish they are.

Fran isn’t going anywhere until pat is gone. That is just a fact you haters ignore

Well I hope he has a big family. If Iowa tanks and misses the post season the next two years. Fans will not show up to games at all.

I want the guy to succeed, but again fans have to temper their expectations. We beat 5 marginal teams. We are 16-3 and our best win is vs ISU/OSU. Our non-conf wins are only ISU the other two teams have flamed out.

Well I hope he has a big family. If Iowa tanks and misses the post season the next two years. Fans will not show up to games at all.

I want the guy to succeed, but again fans have to temper their expectations. We beat 5 marginal teams. We are 16-3 and our best win is vs ISU/OSU. Our non-conf wins are only ISU the other two teams have flamed out.

Well 16-3 is till 16 and 3 and Iowa St in my mind is a top 15 team. But I'll confess, I'm not one of those constantly on the coaches arse....

I'm assuming you are a Purdue fan, so I'd ask how hot is Painters seat. I use to roll around the PU message board and as a fan base, yours is just as nasty and boorish to their coaches as our...

And I don't get it, Painter has been a damn fine coach, but I'll wager if I head over there right now, there are multiple threads calling for his head...
There is a highly vocal minority. I'm sure it's worse on our free board. I rarely go there to see it.

The seat got a little warm after the two consecutive tournament misses, but it's been moving toward its current room temperature ever since the arrival of the class that just departed.

The sane among us know that 10 NCAAs with 4 Sweet 16s in 13 years is outstanding, especially given 2 of the best teams were derailed by devastating late-season injuries (Hummel, Haas) and another was compromised from the beginning (Hummel's 2nd ACL).

They like to complain "he can't recruit". While it's true we have only had two consensus top 50s in his tenure (Moore, Swanigan), he has an eye for talent/potential and he and his staff do an excellent job developing it.

He's also done a good job adapting to the changes in the game. Those early teams were always near the top in defensive efficiency, but so-so on offense. Now we're consistently a top-10 offensive efficiency team.

His future is quite secure, much to the dismay of that vocal minority.

Reactions: TCOOL
There's a 0% chance he gets fired after this year, no matter what happens the rest of the season. His seat isn't remotely warm.

He would have to lose the rest of the games this year for it to be warm. I’m not saying that’s right but like Boji said, there is basically 0% chance he would get fired this year.

I don’t see many people proclaiming Iowa as world beaters (including me). I think most are just excited - and probably surprised - at where they are at right now. Coming off last year my expectations were hopeful but not high. They have beat some good teams and shown a lot of toughness at end of games, two things they never did last year.

There is a highly vocal minority. I'm sure it's worse on our free board. I rarely go there to see it.

The seat got a little warm after the two consecutive tournament misses, but it's been moving toward its current room temperature ever since the arrival of the class that just departed.

The sane among us know that 10 NCAAs with 4 Sweet 16s in 13 years is outstanding, especially given 2 of the best teams were derailed by devastating late-season injuries (Hummel, Haas) and another was compromised from the beginning (Hummel's 2nd ACL).

They like to complain "he can't recruit". While it's true we have only had two consensus top 50s in his tenure (Moore, Swanigan), he has an eye for talent/potential and he and his staff do an excellent job developing it.

He's also done a good job adapting to the changes in the game. Those early teams were always near the top in defensive efficiency, but so-so on offense. Now we're consistently a top-10 offensive efficiency team.

His future is quite secure, much to the dismay of that vocal minority.

Yes, good to hear from another “sane” guy. As I’ve said on here many times, those crazies just don’t get it. They think they are enlightened, but they are the same on every board. There isn’t a coach you or we could hire to quell that “loud” minority. Even Izzo and I’d wager Calipari has them to a degree. It’s honestly sad..

I was on the PU board a few years ago when after a couple loses you beat MSU by a point. One of these guys started talking about finally Painter coached his best game ever....I said....”Really..?! In a one point win where one missed shot, a missed free throw, one less rebound or one extra turnover changes the score....?!...Then what, is it still his best game ever after a one point loss....these cats just don’t get it..”

Last edited:
We beat 5 marginal teams. We are 16-3 and our best win is vs ISU/OSU. Our non-conf wins are only ISU the other two teams have flamed out.

Well - according to NCAA NET, the win over Nebraska wouldn’t be considered a win over a “marginal” team. Although tonight isn’t going to help the Huskers’ ratings

Yes, but most teams lose to to at least one of those teams.

Yes, good to hear from another “sane” guy. As I’ve said on here many times, those crazies just don’t get it. They think they are enlightened, but they are the same on every board. There isn’t a coach you or we could hire to quell that “loud” minority. Even Izzo and I’d wager Calipari has them to a degree. It’s honestly sad..

I was on the PU board a few years ago when after a couple loses you beat MSU by a point. One of these guys started talking about finally Painter coached his best game ever....I said....”Really..?! In a one point win where one missed shot, a missed free throw, one less rebound or one extra turnover changes the score....?!...Then what, is it still his best game ever after a one point loss....these cats just don’t get it..”
Great point. I remember the game you're talking about. If it was his best game ever, why did he "let" Sparty come back from 16 down at half to send it to OT?

Reactions: cmhawks99
if you were the AD, wouldn't you be looking at assistants out there who are known to be good recruiters? I think misses on the recruiting trail are our missing piece right now because we could use a lighting quick athletic guard who can break down defenses
Will Joe Toussaint be that player?

Great. So here is where you come and lecture us how we are just like every other fan base, and we shouldn’t be, and Kum by f****** yah....... blah.

And comparing Fran to painter? Really?

Great. So here is where you come and lecture us how we are just like every other fan base, and we shouldn’t be, and Kum by f****** yah....... blah.

And comparing Fran to painter? Really?

No need, actually....it seems self evident.

The team is playing well,Fun to watch, Hustle, Communicate, Playing much better defense than last year, It appears to me there is excellent team chemistry, Relax and enjoy the games! I believe this years team has a solid shot at finishing top 4/5 in the conference, Would be a very nice turn around from last year.

Reactions: owenhawk
Yes, but most teams lose to to at least one of those teams.

We haven’t played Rutgers yet.

As long as Iowa protects the home court the rest of the season they will be a lock for the NCAA. If they lose a few at home and drop some road games I still think their in, but in the dreaded 7-10 seed range.

Our fan base in basketball is back of the rim!
And laughable, regrettable, a work of art when team clicks, and hot seat and when it doesn’t.
Basketball has always been an ugly sport to watch when teams shoot 30%, and that is not coaching. But when teams build chemistry with max effort and winning, it’s a blast.
Happy for these players, for Fran and his staff, with Patrick and our newest addition at the point, we will be pretty solid for these next couple years.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
This is an odd opinion.

I find it odd you are giving him the benefit of the doubt considering the results.
FB-he signed to very iffy contracts. Basically just dont mess up the cart and leave it alone.
Basketball- Hired worst coach in our BB history, then hired a fair to good coach and gave him an outrageous contract again.
Womens BB- Good coach, will never win anyting of importance- basically leave it alone until she is done.
Volleyball- Awful first hire, decent second hire
Baseball- Missed on Heller first go when it was a no brainier. Finally got it right.
Wrestling- Brands is a good coach but has been lapped by the competition right now.

So not a lot of great history of hiring in our major sports. Throw in the field hockey debacle and not sure how you think he has done a great job.

Frans seat is still warm. It’s not like we beat Duke or Michigan. We’ve beaten some bottom feeders and OSU who is struggling. Not like we’re taking down top 10 teams.

I’ll judge after this 4 game stretch where we play some decent teams.
Agree ... We need to beat MSU at home ... We need to win a tough game on the road. I love how we are playing ... They just have to show they can do this against the top competition in the league. Beating OSU at home was a great win ... Fran needs to keep the momentum.

I find it odd you are giving him the benefit of the doubt considering the results.
FB-he signed to very iffy contracts. Basically just dont mess up the cart and leave it alone.
Basketball- Hired worst coach in our BB history, then hired a fair to good coach and gave him an outrageous contract again.
Womens BB- Good coach, will never win anyting of importance- basically leave it alone until she is done.
Volleyball- Awful first hire, decent second hire
Baseball- Missed on Heller first go when it was a no brainier. Finally got it right.
Wrestling- Brands is a good coach but has been lapped by the competition right now.

So not a lot of great history of hiring in our major sports. Throw in the field hockey debacle and not sure how you think he has done a great job.

LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT