ADVERTISEMENT

String of new Sonic Drive-In locations planned for Eastern Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The owner of more than 100 Sonic Drive-in locations is planning to get his foot in the door with Coralville and Iowa City.

Nik Bhakta, restaurateur and owner of Soar QSR, hopes to open 10 locations in the Iowa City, Davenport and Des Moines metro areas, with the first ones tentatively planned to open by the end of 2023.

The first city to receive a location has not yet been determined, but Iowa City and Coralville are expected to receive three or four of the 10 locations.

Advertisement

“We like what we see along the I-80 Corridor,” Bhakta said.

With 20 years restaurant experience, Iowa is a relatively new market for the New Mexico resident, who has owned hundreds of various fast-food franchise brands like Kentucky Fried Chicken and Taco Bell across Dallas, Texas.

Since expanding into burger restaurants, he has opened Sonic franchises in Michigan, Ohio, the Northeast, Maryland, Washington, D.C.; Kentucky and Kansas City.

His presence in Iowa started earlier in 2022 when he acquired franchises from owners exiting the market in Davenport, Keokuk and Des Moines.

In addition to a development agreement set for 10 new locations across Iowa City, Davenport and Des Moines, expansion could include Ames and locations in smaller towns near Interstate 80 like Oskaloosa and Ottumwa.

Davenport currently has two Sonic locations. Cedar Rapids, Coralville and Waterloo all previously had Sonic locations, which were closed by their franchisee in 2012.

Chew on This Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox

“Ideally, we are looking to develop one close to the mall, one close to the University (of Iowa) and one on the far southeast side,” Bhakta said. “Additionally, we may look at North Liberty as that area grows.”

The developer hopes to construct new buildings for locations, but is also interested in acquiring buildings from existing restaurants with drive-thru capabilities. Development of the plan will rely heavily on the availability of real estate.

“I think there’s definitely opportunity,” Bhakta said. “(Burger) competitors are prevalent in these territories, but Sonic is not represented well.”

The Sonic concept has become more attractive to developers since the pandemic’s never-ending complications started mounting on restaurants — from labor shortages to supply chain issues.

As Sonic becomes more rooted in Iowa, he said its model is more poised for success in a challenging business environment.

“Quick service restaurants prevailed quite a bit with COVID. We learned we can give up nice clothes, travel, but the one thing we can’t give up on is food,” he said. “At Sonic, we’re geared up for this because we don’t have indoor dining rooms.”

Reactions: Pinehawk
Didn't realize it had been 10 years since the Sonic in Coralville closed. I don't remember it being all that popular.
But, he's right in that the business and social conditions are much different now than they were 10 years ago.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Worst quality fast food in the country I believe. So gross. Their prices are super low, so Poors seem to like it, but it is objectively bad.
When one opened where I live we tried it. They forgot to put a hamburger patty in the hamburger.
Although people swear by their breakfast burritos.

• Haha
Reactions: win4jj and torbee
Iowans, sorry native Iowans, love shit like Sonic and Raising Canes. No 3 star michelin joint is setting shop here.

Maybe it's the Midwest locations that are not great, but I like Sonic. I've only eaten at locations in Georgia and South Carolina. The Supersonic Breakfast burrito is one of the very best in the fast food industry.

It's not as good as Whataburger, but I'd take Sonic over McDonalds, Wendy's and Burger King. Not exactly stiff competition, but they're still competitors. I think Sonic's on par with Jack-in-the-Box. To some people, that might be a turnoff........not me.

Reactions: goldmom
Iowans, sorry native Iowans, love shit like Sonic and Raising Canes. No 3 star michelin joint is setting shop here.
I'd say that Canes at least does good with their chicken fingers. They specialize in that. With Sonic I don't what they're good at.

I used to "have to" go there at times in Kansas after a day of storm chasing, they were the only things open. The shakes and cherry-limeade stuff was good, but everything else was sort of a nondescript greasy fast-food offering.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Worst quality fast food in the country I believe. So gross. Their prices are super low, so Poors seem to like it, but it is objectively bad.
Yep. It's near the bottom of the fast food chain for sure. Burger King is right there with it.

I thought there was a Sonic in Coralville that failed a few years ago........is IC/Coralville ready for another go?

People in and around Centerville, IA think it's friggin gourmet stuff. The obsession w/ it down there was very very odd. Edit: Yes, I'm aware there's not many choices in that shithole town.

Reactions: GOHOX69
This should go about as well as last time…unless Sonic has significantly improved.

When I lived in Arkansas Sonic was a very popular place, I believe it does pretty well throughout the South. When I was living in Indy Sonic opened one franchise on the Westside close to the track, It was actually a pretty good location, I don’t believe it stayed open more than 6 months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT