ADVERTISEMENT

Supercharged flooding caused by climate change is threatening the region of the US that least believes in climate change . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
You gotta love the irony.

These supercharged floods are one of the most pernicious impacts of an unexpected surge in sea levels across the U.S. Gulf and southeast coasts — with the ocean rising an average of 6 inches since 2010, one of the fastest such changes in the world, according to a Washington Post examination of how sea level rise is affecting the region.

The Post’s analysis found that sea levels at a tide gauge near the Fowl River rose four times faster in 2010 to 2023 than over the previous four decades.

The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C., where coastal counties are home to 28 million people. Outdatedinfrastructure built to manage water, some of it over a century old, cannot keep up. As a result, the seas are swallowing coastal land, damaging property, submerging septic tanks and making key roads increasingly impassable.

“Our canary in the coal mine for sea level rise is storm water flooding,” said Renee Collini, director of the Community Resilience Center at the Water Institute. “Each inch up of sea level rise reduces the effectiveness of our storm water to drain and the only place left for it to go is into our roads, yards, homes and businesses.”

From his home on Dauphin Island, Rice said he’s seen the arrival of much higher tides.

“I really don’t think people think about it,” Rice said. “They see it on TV and think it’s some kind of liberal hoax. But it’s not. If you live on the water, you’re on the water, you can see that it’s actually justified.”

Last edited:
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

These supercharged floods are one of the most pernicious impacts of an unexpected surge in sea levels across the U.S. Gulf and southeast coasts — with the ocean rising an average of 6 inches since 2010, one of the fastest such changes in the world, according to a Washington Post examination of how sea level rise is affecting the region.

The Post’s analysis found that sea levels at a tide gauge near the Fowl River rose four times faster in 2010 to 2023 than over the previous four decades.

The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C., where coastal counties are home to 28 million people. Outdatedinfrastructure built to manage water, some of it over a century old, cannot keep up. As a result, the seas are swallowing coastal land, damaging property, submerging septic tanks and making key roads increasingly impassable.

“Our canary in the coal mine for sea level rise is storm water flooding,” said Renee Collini, director of the Community Resilience Center at the Water Institute. “Each inch up of sea level rise reduces the effectiveness of our storm water to drain and the only place left for it to go is into our roads, yards, homes and businesses.”

From his home on Dauphin Island, Rice said he’s seen the arrival of much higher tides.

“I really don’t think people think about it,” Rice said. “They see it on TV and think it’s some kind of liberal hoax. But it’s not. If you live on the water, you’re on the water, you can see that it’s actually justified.”

Can’t be true.

Rain Happens

Those that believe in man made climate change but own big homes, big cars, boats, and do a lot of travel should be praised ?

Joe Red neck that lives in the sticks has a far smaller carbon footprint then the ribbon wearing loser that loves to say they care but lives like they don’t.

Those that believe in man made climate change but own big homes, big cars, boats, and do a lot of travel should be praised ?

Joe Red neck that lives in the sticks has a far smaller carbon footprint then the ribbon wearing loser that loves to say they care but lives like they don’t.

At the end of the day, there are a whole lof people who feel sick and worried about climate change but ultimately don’t give enough of a shit to do anything about it.

Estimated % of adults who think global warming is happening (nat'l avg. 72%), 2023​

Texas 72%
Florida 73% :)
Georgia 71 %
Louisiana 67%
Alabama 62%
Mississippi 62%
South Carolina 68%
North Carolina 72%

Lowest states

Wyoming 59%
West Virginia 58%

Highest
California 77%
New York 78%
Massachussets 78%

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: torbee and abby97
At the end of the day, there are a whole lof people who feel sick and worried about climate change but ultimately don’t give enough of a shit to do anything about it.
This board and most of society is full of people that love to tell you they care. They love like they don’t give a shit.

They also love to tell you about their big cars, big homes, boats, and world travels.

This board and most of society is full of people that love to tell you they care. They love like they don’t give a shit.

They also love to tell you about their big cars, big homes, boats, and world travels.
You care so much you posted the same rant twice. You seem to have the average citizen who is concerned about climate change with a Russian oligarch.

Last edited:
The only thing that’s going to make a difference is concerted worldwide govt effort. That ain’t happening. Your kids are phucked. Maybe you, too.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Estimated % of adults who think global warming is happening (nat'l avg. 72%), 2023​

Texas 72%
Georgia 71 %
Louisiana 67%
Alabama 62%
Mississippi 62%
South Carolina 68%
North Carolina 72%

Lowest states

Wyoming 59%
West Virginia 58%

Highest
California 77%
New York 78%
Massachussets 78%

Those numbers are surprisingly high. Maybe there is some hope.

The only thing that’s going to make a difference is concerted worldwide govt effort. That ain’t happening. Your kids are phucked. Maybe you, too.
The main issue world wide is the established economies have the ability to enact climate change initiatives and the emerging economies are more concerned about economic growth than battling climate change.

As first world economies reduce emissions emerging economies take up that slack.

We're screwed.

That's not placing the blame on emerging economies it's just the reality as I see it.

Hopefully fusion technology as a energy producer becomes a reality sooner rather than later. Seems like that's the ultimate pathway for "clean" energy IMO.

Reactions: torbee
Those numbers are surprisingly high. Maybe there is some hope.
The reality is there really isn't this huge difference between the states.

Deep red Florida is sitting at 73% (above the national average). Even Wyoming and West Virginia are well over 60%.

I think to make real progress globally we need a game changing technological advancement like cold fusion technology but it doesn't look like that's something that'll be usable any time soon.

Last edited:

Texas 72%
Georgia 71 %
Louisiana 67%
Alabama 62%
Mississippi 62%
South Carolina 68%
North Carolina 72%

Lowest states

Wyoming 59%
West Virginia 58%

Highest
California 77%
New York 78%
Massachussets 78%

One could pose questions like: do you believe an unborn baby is actually a baby, or are taxes too high, or is proving who you are at a voting booth racist, and the percentages would be very similar, so what is your point?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
One could pose questions like: do you believe an unborn baby is actually a baby, or are taxes too high, or is proving who you are at a voting booth racist, and the percentages would be very similar, so what is your point?
That 72% of Americans believe climate change is real and even in deep red states it's well over 60%.

Take from that whatever the F you want.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think most people believe it's happening,.. What most people don't believe is that we can fix it...

You care so much you posted the same rant twice. You seem to have the average citizen who is considered about climate change with a Russian oligarch.
Here is the truth. Bla bla bla. That’s what is being done. Nothing.

I just hope people keep screaming they care, while doing more harm than the redneck who thinks it’s all fake and so poor he can’t have a big home or travel or own a bunch of gas guzzling adult toys.

Carry on. Maybe if you care really hard and pound your chest it will magically get cold.

Or have a few more families move into your big home, never fly or travel again, and drive electric cars.

I think most people believe it's happening,.. What most people don't believe is that we can fix it...

Oh, we can fix it.
But the fossil fuel industry will spend hundreds of billions delaying that effort to protect tens of trillions in stranded assets.

Do the math on that ROI, and you'll understand why spending $500B or more makes lots of financial sense for them...

Everyone should do their part.

I ditched one car and now ride my e-bike anytime it’s 35 degrees or warmer and I have less than 20 miles to travel.

We also stopped buying factory farmed meat and get all our meat and egg products from a local farm.

It’s not that hard to take relatively easy steps that do quite a bit to reduce your footprint. And if everyone did 2 or 3 things, it would have a tremendous multiplying effect.

Your presumption that no one puts their money where their mouth is and everyone is a hypocrite is deeply cynical and factually incorrect.

Everyone should do their part.

I ditched one car and now ride my e-bike anytime it’s 35 degrees or warmer and I have less than 20 miles to travel.

We also stopped buying factory farmed meat and get all our meat and egg products from a local farm.

It’s not that hard to take relatively easy steps that do quite a bit to reduce your footprint. And if everyone did 2 or 3 things, it would have a tremendous multiplying effect.

Your presumption that no one puts their money where their mouth is and everyone is a hypocrite is deeply cynical and factually incorrect.
The reality of adult gas guzzling toys on lakes, oceans, cars on highways, airport traffic, and the size of new home construction far outweighs your wishful thinking.

I was today years old when I learned the laws of physics don’t apply to the catastrophic effects of man-made climate change:
• “The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C.”

Imagine believing that the water levels aren’t exactly the same twenty miles south of Brownsville as they are twenty miles north of Cape Hatteras.

But if the Washington Post says it must be so then it must be so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT