ADVERTISEMENT

Supercharged flooding caused by climate change is threatening the region of the US that least believes in climate change . . .

What would it take to convince people who are dumb enough to watch Fox News and vote for Trump?

If your cult leader told you the planet is definitely getting warmer and it’s obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills, you would believe him. Stop being so easily manipulated.
I was on the fence but dumping paint on Stonehenge and on a green at PGA event has me convinced to support whatever these people say. Where do I sign up for more taxes so this all goes away?

What would it take to convince people who are dumb enough to watch Fox News and vote for Trump?

If your cult leader told you the planet is definitely getting warmer and it’s obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills, you would believe him. Stop being so easily manipulated.
I don’t watch FOX ‘News’ - I watch MSNBC (purely for the entertainment). I don’t have a cult leader. I don’t vote or give money to politicians because they’re all owned by the same people. And I don’t attach myself to useless causes like global warming.

Reactions: ButtersHawk

Estimated % of adults who think global warming is happening (nat'l avg. 72%), 2023​

Texas 72%
Florida 73% :)
Georgia 71 %
Louisiana 67%
Alabama 62%
Mississippi 62%
South Carolina 68%
North Carolina 72%

Lowest states

Wyoming 59%
West Virginia 58%

Highest
California 77%
New York 78%
Massachussets 78%

Looking at those numbers it would appear the odds of all the non believers posting on this site would be astronomical, Yet here we are it seems.

I don’t watch FOX ‘News’ - I watch MSNBC (purely for the entertainment). I don’t have a cult leader. I don’t vote or give money to politicians because they’re all owned by the same people. And I don’t attach myself to useless causes like global warming.
Lies No GIF

global warming/climate change is not a "cause"

It is a fact.

Chuck Hagel, former Nebraska Senator, wishes he had not listened to Big Oil back in the 1990s, because he now asserts they outright lied to him and the American public, about the problem they were creating. He wishes we had acted more aggressively back then, >20 yrs ago.

That's all in parts of his interview in the Frontline documentary.

Reactions: Gimmered
I was on the fence but dumping paint on Stonehenge and on a green at PGA event has me convinced to support whatever these people say. Where do I sign up for more taxes so this all goes away?
Kind of like storming the Capital to stop the Steal back in the day, huh? Both sides are loaded with fruitcakes….in fact the prisons are full of them.

You gotta love the irony.

These supercharged floods are one of the most pernicious impacts of an unexpected surge in sea levels across the U.S. Gulf and southeast coasts — with the ocean rising an average of 6 inches since 2010, one of the fastest such changes in the world, according to a Washington Post examination of how sea level rise is affecting the region.

The Post’s analysis found that sea levels at a tide gauge near the Fowl River rose four times faster in 2010 to 2023 than over the previous four decades.

The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C., where coastal counties are home to 28 million people. Outdatedinfrastructure built to manage water, some of it over a century old, cannot keep up. As a result, the seas are swallowing coastal land, damaging property, submerging septic tanks and making key roads increasingly impassable.

“Our canary in the coal mine for sea level rise is storm water flooding,” said Renee Collini, director of the Community Resilience Center at the Water Institute. “Each inch up of sea level rise reduces the effectiveness of our storm water to drain and the only place left for it to go is into our roads, yards, homes and businesses.”

From his home on Dauphin Island, Rice said he’s seen the arrival of much higher tides.

“I really don’t think people think about it,” Rice said. “They see it on TV and think it’s some kind of liberal hoax. But it’s not. If you live on the water, you’re on the water, you can see that it’s actually justified.”

I’ve lived on the river all my life. In Iowa it’s government subsidized field tiling and more roadways around rivers moving water faster to the rivers than ever before. I’m sure that doesn’t fit your narrative.

Oh, I get it. You’re one of those morons who thinks if a person despises Biden it automatically makes them MAGA.

Politicians are degenerates and sociopaths. Doesn’t say much for people like you who want to empower them. 🤷‍♂️
Sure bud! I assume you’re MAGA because you’re posting history eludes to it. I actually agree with you if you truly believe politicians are degenerate sociopaths.

Reactions: Drake__Mallard
We can still enjoy boats, big homes, multiple homes, SUVs, and go to Europe correct?

Give me my “I care more and use more ribbon”.

Sure bud! I assume you’re MAGA because you’re posting history eludes to it. I actually agree with you if you truly believe politicians are degenerate sociopaths.
You assume because you’re programmed to assume.

Can you find a single post of mine supporting Trump? I know you can find a ton of my posts ripping on republicans.

I disagree with him on Israel. He for sure gave his consent to Mike Johnson stabbing his base in the back. I absolutely hated his covid response, though probably in a completely different way than you do.

He destroyed the economy. He acts like a child.

global warming/climate change is not a "cause"

It is a fact.

Chuck Hagel, former Nebraska Senator, wishes he had not listened to Big Oil back in the 1990s, because he now asserts they outright lied to him and the American public, about the problem they were creating. He wishes we had acted more aggressively back then, >20 yrs ago.

That's all in parts of his interview in the Frontline documentary.
If it was a fact then why was the original wording of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) summary changed AFTER it was approved by the scientists who worked on it?

Someone in a position to do so was bought off.

Hoax.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
You gotta love the irony.

These supercharged floods are one of the most pernicious impacts of an unexpected surge in sea levels across the U.S. Gulf and southeast coasts — with the ocean rising an average of 6 inches since 2010, one of the fastest such changes in the world, according to a Washington Post examination of how sea level rise is affecting the region.

The Post’s analysis found that sea levels at a tide gauge near the Fowl River rose four times faster in 2010 to 2023 than over the previous four decades.

The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C., where coastal counties are home to 28 million people. Outdatedinfrastructure built to manage water, some of it over a century old, cannot keep up. As a result, the seas are swallowing coastal land, damaging property, submerging septic tanks and making key roads increasingly impassable.

“Our canary in the coal mine for sea level rise is storm water flooding,” said Renee Collini, director of the Community Resilience Center at the Water Institute. “Each inch up of sea level rise reduces the effectiveness of our storm water to drain and the only place left for it to go is into our roads, yards, homes and businesses.”

From his home on Dauphin Island, Rice said he’s seen the arrival of much higher tides.

“I really don’t think people think about it,” Rice said. “They see it on TV and think it’s some kind of liberal hoax. But it’s not. If you live on the water, you’re on the water, you can see that it’s actually justified.”

Fake news and you are a Chicken little and a clown. It’s rising at a rate of .14 inches a year and if you understand basic math you’re full of shit and at best a consistent cuck.

Last edited:
I see that Kim Reynolds has pulled out her tin cup and is demanding Joe Biden hustle up and send cash to Iowa. She ignores climate change, and makes no attempt to mitigate the effects, but she sure does love that free money.
I'm glad she was able to take time off this week from performance art at the Southern border to spend a few hours flying over rural Iowa.

I see that Kim Reynolds has pulled out her tin cup and is demanding Joe Biden hustle up and send cash to Iowa. She ignores climate change, and makes no attempt to mitigate the effects, but she sure does love that free money.
I'm glad she was able to take time off this week from performance art at the Southern border to spend a few hours flying over rural Iowa.
The (federal) government is your enemy until you need a friend.
I, like you hope the flooding in NW Iowa doesn’t take away from her Texas border duties. Abbott needs her to push his chair every so often.

Fake news and you are a Chicken little and a clown. It’s rising at a rate of .14 inches a year

Actually, the amount of SLR varies along the coasts, with some seeing much faster rise - in part due to contributions from land subsidence.

Fake news and you are a Chicken little and a clown. It’s rising at a rate of .14 inches a year and if you understand basic math you’re full of shit and at best a consistent cuck.

6iYb48iPeUpFYsZTBaTi1l-WwFKXAici1r_1eV3KIiJaUPNBryzaki-ZZVuYUO11sKvBCCOFpsuuUjdWBuRA-UR10gtpe-6GoGaGUqku0uRH_9qu8S0H1FkcZQ8Rdi26TcyCVpuhBMHXYnsupU_uKg.png

Just spitballin' off the bottom two graphs here, SLR in the SE and Eastern Gulf has risen from around ~0.2m to ~0.35m from 2010 thru 2022 (not inclusive of 2023 and 2024 here).

0.15m of SLR is about 5.9". And rising 10.2 to 10.7mm per year now, which is not quite 0.5" per year, so that puts the numbers squarely into the 6-7" rise since 2010, as noted by the WP article

When ocean temps are much warmer, thermal expansion is higher - currently ocean warming, and not land-ice loss, is the primary driver of SLR. And we've seen some of the warmest Atlantic temps recently, ever recorded.

Combine that with land-ice losses (which are increasing) and the fact that the loss of the Greenland ice sheets alters the gravitational attraction of the water toward that landmass - shifting it back toward the equator, you're going to see higher SLR numbers along the US east and southern coasts, than global numbers.

In those graphs above, the black lines indicate the "global average" SLR, which makes it fairly obvious there is a much larger rate of SLR going on in the regions examined here.

These are facts. Whether you like them, or not.

I saw another “past vs. present” photo comparison last week pushing the claim that sea level hasn’t changed. Obviously, those photos prove nothing, but couldn’t they be used for the opposite purpose? Couldn’t it be shown that under similar tidal conditions, sea level has gone up?

I saw another “past vs. present” photo comparison last week pushing the claim that sea level hasn’t changed. Obviously, those photos prove nothing, but couldn’t they be used for the opposite purpose? Couldn’t it be shown that under similar tidal conditions, sea level has gone up?

Why would you want to rely on single "photos", vs satellite altimetry data and tidal gauges which have continuous records for many decades?

Reactions: torbee
If it was a fact then why was the original wording of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) summary changed AFTER it was approved by the scientists who worked on it?

Someone in a position to do so was bought off.

Hoax.
Clarity and to get consensus. There have been some objections by scientists about the final wording but it's because the implications of climate change were softened. Likely to appease climate change deniers.

Your point is well taken but it undermines your position.

Reactions: Joes Place

Estimates of Sea Level Rise:​

1. NASA's Climate Change and Global Warming Program:
    • According to NASA, global sea levels have risen about 3.2 millimeters per year since 1993. This rate has slightly accelerated in recent years, leading to a total rise of approximately 80-90 millimeters (3.1-3.5 inches) from 2010 to 2023 (Project Des Moines) .
  2. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA):
    • NOAA reports similar findings, indicating an average rise of about 3 millimeters per year over recent decades. Their data also show an acceleration in the rate of sea level rise, particularly over the last few decades. This suggests a cumulative rise of around 70-80 millimeters (2.7-3.1 inches) from 2010 to 2023 (Project Des Moines).
  3. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC):
    • The IPCC's Sixth Assessment Report (2021) indicates that the average rate of sea level rise has been 3.7 millimeters per year from 2006 to 2018. This accelerated rate points to a rise of approximately 70-85 millimeters (2.8-3.3 inches) since 2010 (Project Des Moines).

Clarity and to get consensus. There have been some objections by scientists about the final wording but it's because the implications of climate change were softened. Likely to appease climate change deniers.

Your point is well taken but it undermines your position.
No. Scientific fraud undermines yours.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The (federal) government is your enemy until you need a friend.
I, like you hope the flooding in NW Iowa doesn’t take away from her Texas border duties. Abbott needs her to push his chair every so often.
Natural disasters are precisely why we need a federal government, and a fiscally responsible one at that, genius.
It doesn't take a super high level of intelligence to delineate between expecting the federal government to step in and assist during a crisis beyond a state's resources, while also being concerned with overreaching and bloated agencies... but basic common sense is hard for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICHerky
That would have to occur to be accurate. And even if it did, in this case the science is saying climate change is happening even faster and with more impact than what was reported.

You fail on multiple aspects here.

Vaxx/Climate Change deniers/Flat Earthers, Moon Landing Fakers, etc., have had their brain cells evacuated.

Jfc.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Libs have the brain cells know how and when to applying science and learned experienced to deal with world problems, and not to go off on weird tangents with conspiracy theories and junk science to validate unproven and spurious arguments.

You are an extremist. It has nothing to do with having opinions. You refute factual information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT