ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court rules taxpayers must financially support religious indoctrination

I agree with you on a lot of stuff, but this is a tremendously flawed opinion.

No, it is not.

Simply because one specific religion is a "majority" and the only one that can afford to start a school effectively discriminates against a kid who wants to get an education with a DIFFERENT minority religion as part of their schooling.

Congress MUST NOT favor ANY religion, and this ruling creates a de-facto favoritism by default.

That's not it at all. You manage to twist everything. Parents get to choose the school.
And when the ONLY "private schools" available ONLY teach a certain version of Christianity, then any kid who's parents want them to learn a DIFFERENT religion is SOL.

And when the ONLY "private schools" available ONLY teach a certain version of Christianity, then any kid who's parents want them to learn a DIFFERENT religion is SOL.
Parents have a choice. Where there's a public school, kids can go there. Where there's no public school, they can go to a non-faith based school.

My son went to a Catholic School for 13 years. They had a religion class each year. They went to Mass once per week. Non-Catholic kids weren't forced to go to Mass.

There are a lot of kids going to faith based universities that get Pell Grants. Some of those universities have a religion requirement. Guess what? All religions aren't represented, or have a faith based slant. Those kids aren't forced to go there.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
No, it is not.

Simply because one specific religion is a "majority" and the only one that can afford to start a school effectively discriminates against a kid who wants to get an education with a DIFFERENT minority religion as part of their schooling.

Congress MUST NOT favor ANY religion, and this ruling creates a de-facto favoritism by default.

Dig your heels in all you want, any Constitutional lawyer or scholar would disagree. Just because it receives government funding does not turn a religious entity into a government actor subject to the non-establishment clause. It’s an absurd argument.

You're dumb. Clearly says if vouchers are OK for some private schools they have to be allowed for all private schools - can't discriminate.
A religious cult cult can open a non-denomination school if they like. Separate it from the church. Then my tax dollars aren’t going to brainwashing kids.

A religious cult cult can open a non-denomination school if they like. Separate it from the church. Then my tax dollars aren’t going to brainwashing kids.
Thankfully, there is a very simple solution for you.

If your state offers a voucher program, either continue to send you child to your existing public school, or use the voucher to send them to a different public school, or use it to send them to a nonreligious private school.

Reactions: Finance85

If your state offers a voucher program, either continue to send you child to your existing public school, or use the voucher to send them to a different public school, or use it to send them to a nonreligious private school.
I don’t have children. However, to my knowledge, there isn’t a non religious private school within 100 miles of where I sit. Is there one in Iowa City? If so, 50 miles.

Someone with a non-Christian kid needs to send their kid to one of these schools and REQUIRE them to teach their kid "Hinduism/Islam/Judaism/Etc"

If they won't, sue them for equal access/opportunity.

Schools will not be able to hide behind this façade, then.
Church of Satan opening schools from seashore to seashore with a couple of purple mountains and maybe some grain thrown in for good measure. #GBA

Reactions: Joes Place
I don’t have children. However, to my knowledge, there isn’t a non religious private school within 100 miles of where I sit. Is there one in Iowa City? If so, 50 miles.
Well then, the next adjacent public district. (This is precisely how the Maine program worked.)

What's your "solution" if a bunch of rich Muslims open up a kids school where they want to teach and indoctrinate the local population with Sharia Law religion, and the state is now REQUIRED to allow funding for it?

That's the precedent that is now laid out. There can be no distinction, now, between what you view as "good" religion or one you perceive as "hateful and backwards".

What's your "solution" if a bunch of rich Muslims open up a kids school where they want to teach and indoctrinate the local population with Sharia Law religion, and the state is now REQUIRED to allow funding for it?

That's the precedent that is now laid out. There can be no distinction, now, between what you view as "good" religion or one you perceive as "hateful and backwards".
Simple. Don’t send your kids there. Or, if you’re really that exorcised about it, tell your legislators to either ditch their voucher program, or modify it to only allow use at other public schools.

you are 100% correct - there is no “good” or “bad” religion for these purposes. Or maybe there is in your mind.

Last edited:
What if certain people WANT to send their kids there?

YOU have to pay for it, if you live in Maine.
Yep, just as you have to pay for the installation of a stoplight in Bangor even if you live in Augusta. That's the nature of republican government - the lawful policies enacted by the elected representatives are funded by the public at large, rather than discrete cost allocated. You can imagine the world works otherwise, but that would be, in the recent words of Justice Alito, "fantasy land".

What if certain people WANT to send their kids there?

YOU have to pay for it, if you live in Maine.
I have to pay for public schools, even though I don't agree with some of what is taught, and I have no kids in public school. I had to pay for public schools when I had a kid in private school.

I'll say something unpopular but probably true: we probably don't do a good job of removing *all* indoctrination from publicly funded things. Public things should be very neutral. They're not.

I'll say something unpopular but probably true: we probably don't do a good job of removing *all* indoctrination from publicly funded things. Public things should be very neutral. They're not.
Why would that be unpopular?

I have to pay for public schools, even though I don't agree with some of what is taught

So?

There's something called the "Establishment Clause" in this country, not a law that "everything taught has to be what I want taught".

So?

There's something called the "Establishment Clause" in this country, not a law that "everything taught has to be what I want taught".
Do tell. How, exactly, does giving a parent a school voucher equate to the government establishing, or even endorsing a particular religion?

So?

Yes, and the point of it is neutrality to religion and religiously affiliated organizations, not hostility to it.

Governments engage in "make or buy" decisions with respect to virtually every service that they provide, whether it is building and maintaining roads, running prisons, administering health benefit programs, or, as in this case, delivering public education. All this neutrality principle says in the context of goverment spending is that, once you decide to buy rather than make, you can't disqualify a vendor because they are religiously affiliated.

If the government wants to make, instead of buy, that is perfectly, 100%, absolutely fine. I would strongly suggest you contact your state legislators and urge them to make, rather than buy. Because under the constitution, that's your remedy, and I certainly don't begrudge your exercise of it.

Ruling that religious based schools have to be eligible for voucher programs.

This is an asinine take. You cannot exclude a group of schools based on religious affiliation if you're going to include other private schools. This is so fundamentally clear, I cannot believe, even in this environment, there is disagreement.
You're issue is with vouchers, keep it there.

When only one particular religion gets the vouchers.
The SCOTUS doesn't say only one particular religion gets the vouchers. Where do you come up with stuff like that? This is based on parental choice, not government choice.
If you want an example that's easy enough to understand, think Pell Grants. It's really no different.

The SCOTUS doesn't say only one particular religion gets the vouchers.

Oh....they will.

Just wait until the abortion challenge in FL from Jewish folks (who believe life begins at birth, and that abortions are necessary for the overall health of women) tries to "exempt" Jews from their 15-week ban.

Do you seriously think the SC will exempt them, like they did all the "Christians" who could not in good religious faith simply "hand out" pills or birth control?

Because it's exactly the same thing in asking for a religious exemption, but I strongly suspect we're going to see a gigantic logic pretzel to deny it. Just what will happen if an "unsavory" religion tries to "indoctrinate" students using taxpayer money.

Oh....they will.

Just wait until the abortion challenge in FL from Jewish folks (who believe life begins at birth, and that abortions are necessary for the overall health of women) tries to "exempt" Jews from their 15-week ban.

Do you seriously think the SC will exempt them, like they did all the "Christians" who could not in good religious faith simply "hand out" pills or birth control?

Because it's exactly the same thing in asking for a religious exemption, but I strongly suspect we're going to see a gigantic logic pretzel to deny it. Just what will happen if an "unsavory" religion tries to "indoctrinate" students using taxpayer money.
Oh for crying out loud.

If they had a problem with it, they wouldnt send their kids there.

You are impressively wrong on this one.

Ruling that religious based schools have to be eligible for voucher programs.

That is absolutely not what the decision says at all. The decision literally says that the government can not use vouchers for one group while at the same discriminating against another group by not offering them the same thing so you either are a liar or are just ignorant.

That is absolutely not what the decision says at all. The decision literally says that the government can not use vouchers for one group while at the same discriminating against another group by not offering them the same thing so you either are a liar or are just ignorant.
Ordinarily I give the benefit of the doubt and lean to ignorant but I’m starting to wonder here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT