ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court Will Please Everybody & Nobody at Same Time

He has not even been charged with Insurrection. Educate yourself.

They will determine first and foremost if the 14th ammendment even applies to the president. Many legal scholars say it absolutely doesn't. The state of Colorado also doesn't have the authority to just say he's guilty of anything. The rule of law in this country is you're completely innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Trump has never been charged with inciting an insurrection even let alone found guilty of it.
If he stays on the ballot and wins, then he is charged with insurrection, do you think he should be able to pardon himself?

But Donald Trump will be on the ballot upon the order of the Supreme Court. The fact that it is so predictable is very telling. They will also say he has immunity from the crimes he is charged with while in office. That will leave the documents case and his pet judge will delay that until after the election.

Reactions: Tom Paris
It just hit me, I bet the Supreme Court rules that Trump is guilty of Insurrection but it is up to each state to determine who can be on their ballot.

The Blue and Red states will each do their thing and either keep Trump on the ballot or take him off. The big question is what will the 5-7 battleground states do?

This will be like the Abortion Ruling. The decision must be made at the state level.
Speaking of abortion, if Democrats are on the ball, they’ll get abortion on the ballot in all swing states. I see they got it on the ballot in Florida.

Reactions: West Dundee Hawkeye
If he stays on the ballot and wins, then he is charged with insurrection, do you think he should be able to pardon himself?
President can pardon anyone to my understanding so I assume he could. If they were going to charge him with Insurrection they would have by now unless they intend to wait until October and start a case they know can't be finished before the election to try and set up this scenario. To be clear, I don't want trump in the Whitehouse again, but what Colorado and Maryland have tried to do is an embarrassment to our country.

Let’s say an ideological split. Which is based on political beliefs. Let’s put it this way, do you think Clarence Thomas would have ruled the same way in 2000 of the votes were the other way?

You previously said "The Supreme Court is simply an extension of the RNC at this point."

How would characterize the 3 in your 6-3 split?

You previously said "The Supreme Court is simply an extension of the RNC at this point."

How would characterize the 3 in your 6-3 split?
I said that the court was ideologically divided based on political considerations. Divided means there are two sides. I specifically said that I’m not enough a legal eagle to say which side is correct.

You keep saying this when every single liberal on this board knows the way they are going to rule. The Supreme Court is simply an extension of the RNC at this point.
Could liberals cut out the hyperbolic shit? It makes their case against the orange turd so much weaker than it has to be. Stop giving the opposition ammunition you dolts.

• Angry
Reactions: Tom Paris
Could liberals cut out the hyperbolic shit? It makes their case against the orange turd so much weaker than it has to be. Stop giving the opposition ammunition you dolts.
Look. If you’re looking for a place not filled with hyperbolic nonsense you need to GTF off the internet, particularly message boards and social media. And I’m just checking, is it only liberals that are hyperbolic? Did Joe Biden really “open the borders”.

Head in sand. Again, another person just dismissing how easy it is to see Clarence Thomas is paid off. Incredible how people choose not to see the obvious.

Reactions: HawkMD
How about this:

This is actually a much more significant attack on democracy than anything that happened on Jan 6.

Denying people the opportunity to vote for a candidate without justification (there is none here) has significant and tangible impact to the election process.

When a bunch of right wing lunatics marched into the capital saying they wanted to stop Congress from certifying the election...they failed. There was zero impact on any vote that was cast, who was sworn in, or anyone's right to choose who they wanted.

If red states start declaring Biden guilty of corruption and taking him off the ballot, there will be no doubt it will be an entirely political move and just as much an attack on democracy as this is.

I think the Supreme Court will rule that any candidate CONVICTED of insurrection in federal court is ineligible. Which would make the federal case even more huge.

How about this:

This is actually a much more significant attack on democracy than anything that happened on Jan 6.

Denying people the opportunity to vote for a candidate without justification (there is none here) has significant and tangible impact to the election process.

When a bunch of right wing lunatics marched into the capital saying they wanted to stop Congress from certifying the election...they failed. There was zero impact on any vote that was cast, who was sworn in, or anyone's right to choose who they wanted.

If red states start declaring Biden guilty of corruption and taking him off the ballot, there will be no doubt it will be an entirely political move and just as much an attack on democracy as this is.
Whatever makes you clowns feel better that you vote with people who played with their own shit in our Capitol. You’re all terrible Americans.

President can pardon anyone to my understanding so I assume he could.
Well, no president has ever tried to pardon themselves before, so it's very much an open question.

For me, I sincerely hope we could agree that POTUS could not do this - if they could, you're effectively saying they're above the law.

Whatever makes you clowns feel better that you vote with people who played with their own shit in our Capitol. You’re all terrible Americans.
Objectively you can't point out a single flaw in anything I said. Pointing out the obvious, you're a hypocrite. Not a very smart one at that.

• Haha
But Donald Trump will be on the ballot upon the order of the Supreme Court. The fact that it is so predictable is very telling. They will also say he has immunity from the crimes he is charged with while in office. That will leave the documents case and his pet judge will delay that until after the election.

I don't think they will give him immunity from crimes. They know that precedent would allow Biden to just do whatever the f*** he wants.

They will put him back on the ballot though.

How about this:

There is a pretty solid case that can be made that Trump took part in an insurrection.

Now I think the courts may rule that the person has to be convicted of the crime first for the 14th amendment to apply to them. But you can't say there is no justification here.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Objectively you can't point out a single flaw in anything I said. Pointing out the obvious, you're a hypocrite. Not a very smart one at that.
Objectively your first paragraph was exactly what I posted in my reply. It’s the consistent mental gymnastics Trump voters have been doing for 3 years. Hypocritically you only care about a couple of the Amendments to the Constitution. Typical Republican voter.

I think there is a slightly greater than 50% probability of more than 6 votes for trump, but that a 50/50 shot that no single opinion commands a majority of five votes.

Having taken a quick spin thru the cert petition, some random thoughts on some of the main arguments cited/foreshadowed in the petition:
1. Individual voters lack standing to bring this type of proceeding — honestly individual voters probably should not be able to enforce this. And via a civil action bench trial before an elected state court judge no less. I suspect 1 and 2 are going to merge together and there may be five votes between them. As some of the justices are fond of noting, most constitutional disputes eventually boil down to “who decides?” And I’m pretty sure the answer’s not going to be private litigants or even federal or state judges.
2. No state court jurisdiction/reserved for congress. I think this will be a big theme, and is a little different from the “due process” line of argument that I don’t think much of (since even a state court bench trial is a fair bit of process). If it lies with congress, which I think it does in their ability to recognize electors, the due process will be what congress says it is. And, bonus, what congress decides will be an unreviewable political question.
3. Not an officer - the more intriguing question is, if 1/2 are a majority, will they address anything else? If they do, I actually think this argument has some legs, given (1) text doesn’t reference president, a strange omission given descending order of the textual listing, (2) officer interpreted limited in appointment clause, and (3) “democracy canon” of sorts in favor of letting voters pick their president.
4. Different oath - this sounds like a real loser and embarrassingly so. (“Support” for officers v “preserve protect and defend” for president)
5. Need for conviction - I tend to think it’s a loser (engaged in v convicted of) but not clear cut given criminal insurrection offense predated constitutional amendment by just a few years.
6. Not engaged in insurrection. Hard call, I don’t think they get to the issue. But the clear original meaning obviously Was the civil war, and 1/6 (whatever it was) was fairly arguably not that, and again, if you’re going to dq a lead candidate for president it ought to be a high standard. But again if they say anything and the state has won the other issues, it’ll be a remand for further consideration in light of standards, guidance, etc.

Will be interesting to see if this or aca draws more eyeballs to scotus blog on opinion day.

For some reason the Republicans believe they can bypass the traditional primary process in CO and go to a caucus?
I don’t know enough about how that works in CO under their state laws.
The Republican Party can select their candidate however the hell they want. They can use the highest bowling score if they so choose. Theres nothing in the Constitution that says they have to have a primary or a caucus. There’s nothing that says they even have to have an open process. Thats why the democrats can get away with having their Super Delegates select their candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT