ADVERTISEMENT

Swopes Commentary

DocRambo

HB All-State
Sep 2, 2002
Decorah
https://fansided.com/posts/sheryl-swoopes-vs-caitlin-clark-iowa
I know this is old news, but saw this today and it’s another reminder of today’s uninformed, maybe just utterly biased journalists. The entire article defends Swopes and criticizes Hawkeye fans yet makes no mention of any of the misstatements of fact by Swopes that caused the fan reaction in the first place. Just ridiculous.

I was watching a women's game last evening and they were interviewing someone that mentioned talking to Caitlin and said something to the effect that she had been told this was her 5th year and said she was wrong. She said she would let Caitlin say what else was discussed if the wished. I thought maybe it was Swoopes and listened a little longer to see who it was and finally gave up.

I know this is old news, but saw this today and it’s another reminder of today’s uninformed, maybe just utterly biased journalists. The entire article defends Swopes and criticizes Hawkeye fans yet makes no mention of any of the misstatements of fact by Swopes that caused the fan reaction in the first place. Just ridiculous.
Many things can be true.

-Sheryl Swoopes should be criticized for her comments

-Iowa fans shouldn't have gone as far as they did

-Iowa fans deserve criticism for being excessive when "defending their own"

-People coming out of the wood work to celebrate Iowa/Clark's/our fanbase's failures/losses simply because Iowa/Clark were put into the spotlight is both humorous and makes them look stupid af

-Iowa fans still need to tone it the f*** down and stop giving free ammo to all these f*** faces for WHEN, not if, we inevitably lose again (and that's for all sports)

Hope that helps...... :)

There is a funny inconsistency between what the OP posted and the misspelling of the subject’s name. I’m not quite sure what it is, but if everyone did 30 seconds of internet research, I think a lot of issues could be avoided.

Some people still can't spell Caitlin's name correctly. I see "Caitlyn" almost every day, including this forum

Many things can be true.

-People coming out of the wood work to celebrate Iowa/Clark's/our fanbase's failures/losses simply because Iowa/Clark were put into the spotlight is both humorous and makes them look stupid af

-Iowa fans still need to tone it the f*** down and stop giving free ammo to all these f*** faces for WHEN, not if, we inevitably lose again (and that's for all sports)

Great post.

Many things can be true.

Agreed - save the vitriol something that really deserves it... like Wisconsin

Nothing drives me nuts more than someone who says something that is just blatantly FALSE (regarding Caitlin and the record's "legitemacy" in this instance). Especially when other lemmings nod and applaud those false comments. I don't care who Swoopes is. She deserves to be raked up one side and down the other for that BS.

As an Iowa fan, I make no apology for whatever comes her way. The "Don't Be A Sheryl" shirts? Love it. If Sheryl can't stand the heat, stay out of the F'n kitchen. She brought it on herself. Let's not make her out to be the victim, here. I might value Sheryl's analysis of Clark as a player, but would it have been so hard to simply congratulate her on breaking the record? Instead, she had to try to cheapen it with misinformation about Caitlin's age, number of years and games played, shots taken, etc.

Many things can be true.

Since she refuses to apologize for her misinformation, and in turn mocks Iowa fans who call her out on it, she deserves every level of push-back that iowa fans can heap onto her ignorant ass.

Since she refuses to apologize for her misinformation, and in turn mocks Iowa fans who call her out on it, she deserves every level of push-back that iowa fans can heap onto her ignorant ass.
Agree 100%. But I guess evil monkey thinks that's a funny take. Oh well. I can use laugh emojis, too. I stand by what I wrote. I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

Wait. Iowa fans were ripping swoopes for her comments about Caitlin in the nba and not about the lies she said about Caitlin and the record? News to me.

Reactions: Sexican
Nothing drives me nuts more than someone who says something that is just blatantly FALSE (regarding Caitlin and the record's "legitemacy" in this instance). Especially when other lemmings nod and applaud those false comments. I don't care who Swoopes is. She deserves to be raked up one side and down the other for that BS.

As an Iowa fan, I make no apology for whatever comes her way. The "Don't Be A Sheryl" shirts? Love it. If Sheryl can't stand the heat, stay out of the F'n kitchen. She brought it on herself. Let's not make her out to be the victim, here. I might value Sheryl's analysis of Clark as a player, but would it have been so hard to simply congratulate her on breaking the record? Instead, she had to try to cheapen it with misinformation about Caitlin's age, number of years and games played, shots taken, etc.
The 5 years versus 4 years is a fair argument if true although why bring it up since records throughout sports are broken by players who get more time. The age and shots per game lies is just someone looking for an excuse to discredit Caitlin.

Reactions: VodkaSam
The 5 years versus 4 years is a fair argument if true although why bring it up since records throughout sports are broken by players who get more time. The age and shots per game lies is just someone looking for an excuse to discredit Caitlin.
Agree, it's fair IF true. But, Clark has NOT had more time... She's played 4 years.

In fact, Clark has taken 2472 shots compared to 2565 for Plum. So fewer games AND fewer shot attempts. Don't know why it's even being brought up, unless like you said, someone looking for an excuse to descredit Caitlin. But, if someone is going to try that, they at least need to get their facts straight. LOL.

Clark has made 135 more threes than Plum did, for 135 extra points, so it does even out a little there, granted. Still, seems people are grasping at straws trying to find a way to discredit this record.

For whoever wants to compare:

images
Some people still can't spell Caitlin's name correctly. I see "Caitlyn" almost every day, including this forum
At least they don’t spell it ‘Katelyn’ or ‘Kaitlyn’…😉

Swoopes is entitled to make dumb ass comments, but she needs to at least RESEARCH her dumb ass comments first!

Who cares? Caitlin Clark kicked ass in college, scored a shit ton of points, made a lot of money and a lot of people liked her. So did the former players. How exactly did this earth shaking event impact humankind on a long term basis? It didn't. Athletics is entertainment, nothing more. Don't make it be the be all and end all of humanity. Focus on actually important shit. Nyah, you are incapable of that huh?

Amazing how the author of the article defending Swopes does not touch the topic that spawned the controversy. Either very lazy journalism or willful disregard of the facts. Sound familiar? No wonder he defended Swopes.
It sounded like Kachine Alexander was making the same mistake talking about it on the Brada podcast the other day.

I feel like there might be some folks who googled "what did Sheryl Swoopes say about Caitlin Clark" and only saw the WNBA comments, without reading on to see the scoring record comments.

The edit note hits on that point exactly, like some people made sure to mention it to the writer!

Reactions: Max_Rebo

This is a great post.

Many things can be true.

What did Iowa fans do/say that has drawn your ire? Be specific.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT