ADVERTISEMENT

It's Caitlin Clark's world and we are just living in it.

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
Did we need another thread? No.

Am I starting one? Yes.

Yep, we played bad tonight. Kate Martin had an off game as she had been scoring 10+ for awhile. She will still get a look from the WNBA so it is unfair to say we have no talent around Clark. Still had at least 10 boards!

Marshall tried to shoot, she couldn't. Struggled defending which was odd.

Hannah Stuelke needs to be more selfish while finishing. Still almost had a double double.

Davis had a ton of rebounds but turned the ball over.

Sydney was a bit off tonight, still needs to play a lot more in my opinion.

Kylie hardly played, she is way more athletic than many on our team.

Goodman and O'Grady both struggled on both sides.

For the love of everything, Lisa, let McCabe play more!

All of the problems from the entire team listed above and Caitlin drops 40 which was more than 50% of our points and we win. This coming off her block on the other end two possessions before. She put the team on her back and got it done.

She is awesome.

For as good as the ending was, Clark had a rough game. A godly amount of turnovers and a ton of missed bunnies. we really need Martin affolter Gabby or someone else to step up and be that #3 scorer. this wouldn’t have been as close had we hit 1 to 2 more free throws as well. Great win but some things to work on.

Affolter has more than stepped up. Davis and Marshall need to step up. They get the minutes and don’t produce too much.
Don’t know what fuerbach has to do to play more. Defense is close to gabby. She has better handles can drive and shoots better.
She need some of gabbys and mollys minutes.

For as good as the ending was, Clark had a rough game. A godly amount of turnovers and a ton of missed bunnies. we really need Martin affolter Gabby or someone else to step up and be that #3 scorer. this wouldn’t have been as close had we hit 1 to 2 more free throws as well. Great win but some things to work on.
It wasn't all this, but it is really hard to score when you get slapped to shit every time you touch the ball. Clark should have had 58 free throws (just guessing) if they would have officiated the game where they actually called all the fouls.

One way that has been discovered to play Iowa and Clark is to just foul the ever living shit out of her and hope the officials aren't calling it. In women's basketball, that is usually just about every night out there. Even with that, though, she still had 40 points.

She is amazing!!! Did she get that buzzer beater off in time? On the replay I saw zeroes...
GC5FoQXWAAAJHyN

I never saw the angle that Fran posted. I only saw from the feed.
Worth noting that the “official” measure they look at is the red light on the backboard (they’ll also ensure it’s synced with the clock over the basket). The TV clock was off last night and made the shot look late, but the view from behind made it very clear that she got it off.

As for the tough night, the one way teams have been able to occasionally knock her off her game is to bump & shove and play rough and dare the refs to pile up the fouls. She can be prone to frustration in those situations, but she is getting better at handling it….and I wish I was good enough to have a rough night when I also score 40 and walk it off from the beak.

Affolter has more than stepped up. Davis and Marshall need to step up. They get the minutes and don’t produce too much.
Don’t know what fuerbach has to do to play more. Defense is close to gabby. She has better handles can drive and shoots better.
IMHO Gabbie needs to NOT worry about her shot. She can bring so much to the table with defense, boxing out, assists, leadership......don't think it is all about having to knock down 3s. When she does that the 3 will begin to become a natural stroke again. She is WAY more to the team than knocking down 3s.....but it will happen if she just lets it happen naturally and focuses on the "other stuff".

This!!! Plus 1000

Worth noting that the “official” measure they look at is the red light on the backboard (they’ll also ensure it’s synced with the clock over the basket). The TV clock was off last night and made the shot look late, but the view from behind made it very clear that she got it off.

As for the tough night, the one way teams have been able to occasionally knock her off her game is to bump & shove and play rough and dare the refs to pile up the fouls. She can be prone to frustration in those situations, but she is getting better at handling it….and I wish I was good enough to have a rough night when I also score 40 and walk it off from the beak.

Your second point can't be stated enough. I thought she was going to lose it early on but instead just turned it in to motivation.

Am I starting one? Yes.

Yep, we played bad tonight. Kate Martin had an off game as she had been scoring 10+ for awhile. She will still get a look from the WNBA so it is unfair to say we have no talent around Clark. Still had at least 10 boards!

Marshall tried to shoot, she couldn't. Struggled defending which was odd.

Hannah Stuelke needs to be more selfish while finishing. Still almost had a double double.

Davis had a ton of rebounds but turned the ball over.

Sydney was a bit off tonight, still needs to play a lot more in my opinion.

Kylie hardly played, she is way more athletic than many on our team.

Goodman and O'Grady both struggled on both sides.

For the love of everything, Lisa, let McCabe play more!

All of the problems from the entire team listed above and Caitlin drops 40 which was more than 50% of our points and we win. This coming off her block on the other end two possessions before. She put the team on her back and got it done.

She is awesome.
There was a lot of drive towards the basket, contested layups not falling or fouls getting called, so they chose instead to throw bounce passes at people's feet trying to hit stuelke... needed to take the pull up jumper. State feel to this game. Sharon was too slow, Addie got pulled after a touch foul, but she actually posted hard a couple of times and they would not pass her the ball. Michigan state looked faster at most positions, and was physical and aggressive. I don't know how much was them being up for iowa? If they had been consistently playing like this how did they drop 2 games?

It wasn't all this, but it is really hard to score when you get slapped to shit every time you touch the ball. Clark should have had 58 free throws (just guessing) if they would have officiated the game where they actually called all the fouls.

One way that has been discovered to play Iowa and Clark is to just foul the ever living shit out of her and hope the officials aren't calling it. In women's basketball, that is usually just about every night out there. Even with that, though, she still had 40 points.
The announcers were real friendly with one of the refs... maybe they influenced her into making sure it was a close hotly contested highly rated game. Was the type of game and atmosphere that looks and feels great on TV if you aren't an iowa fan....

I just saw the slow mo from ESPN and was also surprised.

It looked a lot closer last night for some reason.
I thought for sure she didn't get it off watching live. Maybe the horn doesn't count but I thought it was going off before it left her hand. Anyway, looks like she did, what a helluva shot

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Yup.
Hard to imagine the Bulls without Jordan
Patriots without Brady
Whatever team without Lebron
Hawks without Deacon (weak attempt at humor)

Not even close.

Those teams would still be really good, just without the titles.

The Hawks would be BAD.

IMHO Gabbie needs to NOT worry about her shot. She can bring so much to the table with defense, boxing out, assists, leadership......don't think it is all about having to knock down 3s. When she does that the 3 will begin to become a natural stroke again. She is WAY more to the team than knocking down 3s.....but it will happen if she just lets it happen naturally and focuses on the "other stuff".
We desperately need a second Consistent 3pt shooter and GM isn't it. She's an okay defender and has some senior leadership quality's, but if CC doesn't get some outside help teams will be more aggressive at knocking her around and leaving the perimeter open since the percentages say those players shots are going to miss. IMHO it's going to start costing us games and extra wear and tear on CC unless we make some changes.

We desperately need a second Consistent 3pt shooter and GM isn't it. She's an okay defender and has some senior leadership quality's, but if CC doesn't get some outside help teams will be more aggressive at knocking her around and leaving the perimeter open since the percentages say those players shots are going to miss. IMHO it's going to start costing us games and extra wear and tear on CC unless we make some changes.
Gabbie is a good defender. And the last four years she's average over 40% from three. Right now it's between her ears. If I was coaching her I would tell her to continue to shoot...too much of a track good track record to all the sudden lose it.

It was interesting last nite watching the MSU defense on the last shot by CC.

Marshall is standing in the corner in front of Iowa bench and their isn't a defender within 15 feet of her.

No respect.

Marshall is standing in the corner in front of Iowa bench and their isn't a defender within 15 feet of her.

No respect.
Earn it back, Gabby.

Any good basketball coach will tell you shooters will work themselves out of slumps.
Gabby will be fine. Those open looks will start falling eventually. As long as she comes out of it when the games really matter.

No respect.
Honestly, who didn't think Clark was going to shoot it? Apart from Clark, Michigan State just needed to make sure there wasn't a wide open layup.

No respect.
No respect or just maybe common sense of who was going to take it?

There was a lot of drive towards the basket, contested layups not falling or fouls getting called, so they chose instead to throw bounce passes at people's feet trying to hit stuelke... needed to take the pull up jumper. State feel to this game. Sharon was too slow, Addie got pulled after a touch foul, but she actually posted hard a couple of times and they would not pass her the ball. Michigan state looked faster at most positions, and was physical and aggressive. I don't know how much was them being up for iowa? If they had been consistently playing like this how did they drop 2 games?
Your point about them being up for the game is likely spot on. The Iowa game is circled on everyone’s schedule and any decent team (let alone the good/great ones) are going to be way up trying to knock the Hawks down. There will be games where the other team looks like they want it more or has the energy edge and the Hawks are going to have to just fight through those nights like they did last night.

No respect.

That was Kate Martin fyi

Am I starting one? Yes.

She is awesome.
It is ok to start another thread when Caitlyn drops about a 35 footer at the buzzer to win the game.

The replay of the final play was on Morning Joe this morning and Willie Giest called her one of the most exciting athletes in the country.

As far as some posters complaining about her turnovers, yes she could cut down her turnovers if she wasnt trying to force the action but with this team with no Monica, she has to force the action a lot of the time.

A poster on this thread mentioned she missed a couple of bunnies, well how do we know whe wasnt bumped with a hip or contacted as she shot with no foul call.

As you said when the whole team is one they are clobbering teams.

Reactions: IBHAWK and shudaddy

She had 6 turnovers when the team had about 70 possessions as Off Rebounds were negated by turnovers. Clark is always handling the ball, she tries to set up her teammates by making tough passes most players do not even see, 6 turnovers is not a godly amount.

How many really bad turnovers did she have?

Clark also had 3 steals and the big late shot block which almost negate the 6 turnovers. Dont rely on perfection to feel good watching a game. Yes, sometimes some bonehead mental turnovers bother us fans but trying too hard is a different thing sometimes.

Like Dave Kingman playing out field for the Cubs, you put up with his errors and misjudged fly balls etc because he hits 45 home runs and has 100+ rbis.

Your point about them being up for the game is likely spot on. The Iowa game is circled on everyone’s schedule and any decent team (let alone the good/great ones) are going to be way up trying to knock the Hawks down. There will be games where the other team looks like they want it more or has the energy edge and the Hawks are going to have to just fight through those nights like they did last night.
Agreed - and don't underestimate the fact some of these teams normally play in front of pretty sparse crowds. Playing for 15,500 is going to jack up anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT