ADVERTISEMENT

Talking heads love them some Davidson

PatterHawk

Team MVP
Mar 18, 2013
Don't think I heard a single one pick Iowa. Yes Davidson makes 3's. But that's in the A10 conference. The only two decent teams they played, NC and Virginia, they lost by double digits.

Their tallest starter is 6'7" and he's a freshman. Think it'll be a lot like the Mich game. We'll pound them inside and kill them on the boards. Only question will be if we can disrupt their 3 pt shooting. We did it against Mich, Ind and Illinois, so I think we can manage it. They will have to make 14+ 3's to beat us.

They aren't particularly interested in playing defense, so that helps.

I see Iowa winning by 8-12 pts.

A guy can hope, anyway....

All those idiots think is:

Davidson...

Steph Curry.....

We remember them being a cinderella.....

Yep, they will win.

That is pretty much the lock solid reasoning being used.

Davidson is better than you think. They run nice sets to get open threes. Their guards are better and Iowa hasn't beat a good team on a neutral floor in a long time. I don't expect Vegas to have us as favorites by game time. I think many of our fans are over confident. Every team is going to put their best foot forward out there. We have to play great.

They know Iowa is bi-polar. They smell upset. And rightly so. Iowa is entirely capable of losing this game.

Iowa shows up with focus, effort and execution - good things will happen.

If not...agonizing game.

Originally posted by herkhatescy:
I didn't hear anyone on the CBS bracket selection show pick Davidson.
Indeed. One of the CBS guys said, "Iowa should advance."

Now, back to the self-disempowerment...

Simply put, this is the 7-10 game... Nobody should be shocked if we win and nobody should be shocked if we lose. I do think that Iowa's size should get to Davidson. I think man to man with some switching on the perimeter would be effective. Force them to drive into the trees and be ready to steal/contest passes on the drive and kick. I really like the Hawks in this one. Just my 2 cents.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Dan Dakich just said Iowa does not have very good guard play.

Hey Kool-Aid drinkers-most of the time, that is entirely accurate.

BTW-the bracketology show on right now at ESPN2 is picking Davidson.
This post was edited on 3/15 9:06 PM by 4th & 9 inches

While I think Gottlieb picked Iowa, on the CBSNetwork 3 hr coverage, no one picked Iowa. Also on ESPN2 consensus bracket, they picked Davidson.

Dakich had to bring up Fran's technical against Penn St. Not a single guy mentioned our decided advantage in the paint.

Originally posted by 4th & 9 inches:

Hey Iowa State fan, go back to your board.

ESPN crew picked Davidson over IA and D#itch said Franny lost his mind in the PSU game... He had to took that shot.... I like it, IA will be fine because the Defense will show up. I like the set up, I think Gonzaga is overrated as usual. It would be nice to see a rematch between IA and ISU.

I'm an Iowa fan you idiot-and a realistic one. For the most part our guard play has not been that good this year and only the Kool-Aid drinkers think otherwise (or those who don't understand basketball).

BTW-the bracketology show on right now at CBS Sports Network is picking Davidson.

This post was edited on 3/15 9:01 PM by 4th & 9 inches
DasAss also mentioned how McCaffery gets technical & losses his mind...the guy has a total of 2 all year...but I will bet DacAss doesn't know it..

notice not a mentioned one about Iowa's advantage...how bout size? but that's OK...I'd rather drink Hawkeye Kool Aid...than Danny boy's...but carry on with your loyalty to Mr DumbAss

No loyalty to Dakich at all, but his comment about our guard play is spot on and if you disagree you are drinking the Kool-Aid and afraid to admit the truth. I agree that I was also surprised he did not mention our clear height advantage (except for Woody of course).

Agree about him bringing up Fran's T vs. Penn State-I wouldn't characterize Fran as "losing his mind" in that sequence and what did it really have to do with the tournament selection discussion?
This post was edited on 3/15 9:18 PM by 4th & 9 inches

Dakich stole that from this board anyway because our realist posters have been saying that for the last few years.

Unless you're willing to mock Dakich for making an obvious statement....Outside of the sidebar commentary about Fran that is.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
Davidson is better than you think. They run nice sets to get open threes. Their guards are better and Iowa hasn't beat a good team on a neutral floor in a long time. I don't expect Vegas to have us as favorites by game time. I think many of our fans are over confident. Every team is going to put their best foot forward out there. We have to play great.
I haven't seen them play this year but they are well coached and have sent some good teams home in the past, including Bucky in 2008. Go Hawks!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about Davidson yet is their shooting percentage on the road.

At home they make 44.6% of their 3's. On the road, they make only 35.1%.

Many teams struggle to shoot on the road when the surroundings around the hoop are unfamiliar, and Davidson seems to struggle with this more than most teams this year.

Originally posted by PatterHawk:
While I think Gottlieb picked Iowa, on the CBSNetwork 3 hr coverage, no one picked Iowa. Also on ESPN2 consensus bracket, they picked Davidson.

Dakich had to bring up Fran's technical against Penn St. Not a single guy mentioned our decided advantage in the paint.
Thought this was absolutely ridiculous, considering that's all they have been emphasizing because of Kentucky. Though i do think guard play is more important in the tournament.

Hopefully Gesell and Clemmons will return to the form they showed in the 6 game streak prior to the PSU tourney game. But the one constant Iowa has had for most of the second half of the season has been defense.

This reminds me of the build up to the bowl game when we played Tennessee. We were pretty confident going in and then got hammered.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
This reminds me of the build up to the bowl game when we played Tennessee. We were pretty confident going in and then got hammered.
Lol no. Please show me all the overconfident posts on here. (yes do it, otherwise I can't take your word for it.)

Or maybe our fans are just snickering at the idea that Davidson is a shoe-in to win this game, according to the ESPN experts based on what's already been put out there.

What you think of the fans' expectations is arbitrary You don't think Iowa will win. That's all that matters. You wouldn't have referenced the Tennessee football game otherwise, since you're not allowed to play both sides of the fence....

I think Iowa as a program is in need of a prove it run. Bilas on Espn said he thinks Iowa is the better team, But he picked Davidson. I think as far as the national media goes, Just when perhaps they are ready to actually buy into Iowa, Something like the Penn State game happens. While each year is a new year, The general media remembers Davidson going on a run fairly recently in the NCAA's, What do they remember about Iowa?

Originally posted by Scott559:
I think Iowa as a program is in need of a prove it run. Bilas on Espn said he thinks Iowa is the better team, But he picked Davidson. I think as far as the national media goes, Just when perhaps they are ready to actually buy into Iowa, Something like the Penn State game happens. While each year is a new year, The general media remembers Davidson going on a run fairly recently in the NCAA's, What do they remember about Iowa?
The voice of reason.

No loyalty to Dakich at all, but his comment about our guard play is spot on and if you disagree you are drinking the Kool-Aid and afraid to admit the truth. I agree that I was also surprised he did not mention our clear height advantage (except for Woody of course).

Agree about him bringing up Fran's T vs. Penn State-I wouldn't characterize Fran as "losing his mind" in that sequence and what did it really have to do with the tournament selection discussion?

I drink kool-aid all the time. Don't know what your problem with it is? My favorite flavor is grape. What's yours?

did i say I disagreed about our guards...so stop the kool air shiiitt..I just dont feel the need (like u) to point it out...along with you & Danny...his comment is known by thousands....

course he is not going to point anything out positive bout Iowa .. pointing out he didnt isnt drinking kool aid (so stop)...

he doesnt like Fran because Fran embarrased him ... he is nothing more than a failed coach who now has all the answers...so enjoy.

Have a valium with your Kool-Aid, bob (if you're out of arsenic).
This post was edited on 3/16 7:59 AM by 4th & 9 inches

Agreed. The majority of the pundits picking Davidson is not surprising, nor is it a huge slight toward Iowa. Vegas has this as a very close game, and people tend to remember what a team just did. Iowa was losing to a mediocre PSU team and Davidson was playing in the semifinals of the A-10 against another NCAA team.

The big questions is whether Iowa can step up and handle the moment against a quality opponent on a neutral floor. 4 times this year, Iowa hasn't been able to do that (Texas, Syracuse, UNI, Penn State). If Iowa can just not turn the ball over and make a few shots, Iowa could live at the FT line and dominate inside against Davidson. Will be fun to see what happens.

If Iowa doesn't win this one, they've lost a great opportunity and great draw. They should win it. Other than VCU, NC, and Virginia, Davidson has played a bunch of pretty much nobody's in college basketball--the Stetson's, Rhode Island's, Duquesne's of the world. Not much there. Iowa should be much more tested, and certainly much bigger. As far as second round, Hawks also could not have drawn a much better #2 seed. Look at all of Gonzaga's games. They're good, but they haven't exactly faced a murderer's row, either. First round, 65-35% Iowa. Second round, 45-55% Iowa = better than puncher's chance.
Buy some lottery tickets right now, because Hawks really could not have done much better considering early exit in BTT.
Threaders who earlier said that conference tournaments don't mean much were maybe right. At least they must not have meant much to Selection Committee.

4th & 9 is a clone fan so ignore his drivel.

There is no good reason Iowa should lose this game. Penn State was a game that happens to virtually every team every year. Talking heads are usually pretty much going with popular opinion which means diddly squat.

Our guard play has been inconsistent but with the huge edge we have inside we should win this game even if our guards do not play that well.

Originally posted by onlyonenow:

There is no good reason Iowa should lose this game. Penn State was a game that happens to virtually every team every year. Talking heads are usually pretty much going with popular opinion which means diddly squat.
Trouble is, that Iowa team shows up too often (see Minnesota and Northwestern) to make me confident of a victory on Friday. Iowa is certainly good enough to beat both Davidson and Gonzaga, but they can often be bad enough to lose, too.

Originally posted by EvilMo...Closet:
Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Lol no. Please show me all the overconfident posts on here. (yes do it, otherwise I can't take your word for it.)

Or maybe our fans are just snickering at the idea that Davidson is a shoe-in to win this game, according to the ESPN experts based on what's already been put out there.

What you think of the fans' expectations is arbitrary You don't think Iowa will win. That's all that matters. You wouldn't have referenced the Tennessee football game otherwise, since you're not allowed to play both sides of the fence....

I can't show you any posts about the football team on the basketball board. Surprisingly there wasn't many.

Of course I can play both sides of the fence..

BTW-the bracketology show on right now at ESPN2 is picking Davidson.
This post was edited on 3/15 9:06 PM by 4th & 9 inches
Dakich is correct, our guard play isn't very good. Maybe after watching the tournament Iowa fans will realize what good guards and good guard play actually look like. It's the most important thing in winning in the NCAA tournament.

If the Iowa team that played Maryland shows up, we should blow them out by 15-20. If the Iowa team that lost to Minny, Northwestern and Penn State shows up we will lose a close game.
I would love to have another shot at ISU.

Originally posted by hawkguy77:
If the Iowa team that played Maryland shows up, we should blow them out by 15-20. If the Iowa team that lost to Minny, Northwestern and Penn State shows up we will lose a close game.
I would love to have another shot at ISU.

Well, that would be great because it would mean we are in the Sweet 16, and absolutely nobody expected that at the beginning of the year. (nor should anybody "expect" that now).

On the other hand, I think ISU would work us again now that McKay is part of the team and they'd have BDJ available as well.

Not only does Iowa have some work to do to get past Zags, but if ISU wins first round it will be tested by a good Larry Brown-coached SMU team--assuming they advance. If ISU has one of their can't-throw-it-in-the-ocean spells, they're very vulnerable unless they have more miracle comebacks in their bank. So, ISU-Iowa rematch not real likely but it would definitely be fun and make this board explode. ISU would be a fairly solid favorite, but in Sweet 16 who knows?

Originally posted by PatterHawk:
Don't think I heard a single one pick Iowa. Yes Davidson makes 3's. But that's in the A10 conference. The only two decent teams they played, NC and Virginia, they lost by double digits.

Their tallest starter is 6'7" and he's a freshman. Think it'll be a lot like the Mich game. We'll pound them inside and kill them on the boards. Only question will be if we can disrupt their 3 pt shooting. We did it against Mich, Ind and Illinois, so I think we can manage it. They will have to make 14+ 3's to beat us.

They aren't particularly interested in playing defense, so that helps.

I see Iowa winning by 8-12 pts.

A guy can hope, anyway....
Guard play rules the tourney, and the Hawks are very inconsistent there. Davidson's strength is their guard play, hence the line is two points.

Even if Iowa gets past Davidson (big if), Zaga will be a strong order. It's not just luck that has them at a #2 after all.

And THEN, they'd face a Larry Brown-coached SMU squad with talent to spare and who wasn't really tested in round 2 vs. UAB.

Just not many easy roads in the bracket this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT