ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Bay appears to have secured a new stadium. What this means for expansion by MLB.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
MLB has long wanted to expand to 32 teams, but stadium uncertainty in Oakland and Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg), has held things up. Oakland is inching along in a move to Las Vegas, and the Rays have the framework for a 30,000 seat domed stadium. I believe that the article is correct in that MLB will not place two new teams in the southeast. Charlotte and Nashville are both strong contenders, but I suspect they want a more balanced approach, and Portland does have a strong stadium plan on the books.
Side note to you Noles, congrats on paying for a new stadium to support a rich guy's toy.
https://apnews.com/article/expansio...lle-portland-81c32ada185a82e13cfedab46bd8c3b7

• Haha
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
Does baseball need more teams? Just over 20 years ago they voted to eliminate the twins and expos and if it weren’t for some contract law with the old HHH metrodome those teams would have been gone.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Don’t the Rays draw like 5,000 a game even though they’re usually good? Seems like a total waste.
Showing just over 17k at home this year which still seems low. Oakland is at just over 10k and they wonder why ownership wants out

Showing just over 17k at home this year which still seems low. Oakland is at just over 10k and they wonder why ownership wants out
Well, ownership is one of the reasons why the A’s draw so few fans. The city of Oakland hasn’t helped their situation but the A’s owner made no attempt to put a competitive team on the field this year.

Is Nashville really a baseball market? Same for Charlotte. Both seem like diet Phoenix’ where nobody’s actually from there and there would be little to no local support. Baseball isn’t as simple as looking at population figures, corporate support, etc.

Reactions: Ol' Dirty Bastard
It took Nashville 15 years to support a hockey team, during which it made the playoffs almost every year. That’s much different than 81 baseball games a year, 162 on tv to sell ads for.

It’s not even a bigger market, it’s smaller than KC

The current stadium is not only a terrible baseball field for both fans and players, but everything I've heard is it's in a terrible location as far as fans wanting to make the effort to get there.

Once the newness of them beginning play wore off, they've never really drawn no matter how good they were.

Hopefully the new stadium is built in a much much better location in the metro area where the floor for tickets sold is much higher than now.

They should allow the Cedar Rapids Kernels into the MLB….they’re essentially already at that level anyways! Midwest league champs toot toot!!

New stadium is in same are as the old I heard on radio.

What an epic waste of money. Attendance will be exactly the same after a year or two.

I think Nashville and Portland make the most sense if there has to be two new teams. Although I think the Titans are about to get a new stadium so that may be a bit much for one city at one time.

Well, ownership is one of the reasons why the A’s draw so few fans. The city of Oakland hasn’t helped their situation but the A’s owner made no attempt to put a competitive team on the field this year.
Speaking of the A's...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT