ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Morgan or Athan Kaliaksomething?

ichawks

HR All-American
Dec 31, 2002
Tanner has had 2 concussions and suffered an upper body injury against Nebraska. My guess Fleck won’t risk him becoming a zombie. This Athan kid is young and hasn’t seen a defense like this but he does have some mobility. Either way it bodes well for Iowa since maybe they can zero in on Mo.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Tanner has had 2 concussions and suffered an upper body injury against Nebraska. My guess Fleck won’t risk him becoming a zombie. This Athan kid is young and hasn’t seen a defense like this but he does have some mobility. Either way it bodes well for Iowa since maybe they can zero in on Mo.
I think the point spread move might be related to morgan not playing.

Reactions: ichawks
their run game won’t be easy to stop, we’ll need to rotate the dl a lot to remain effective in the 4th….unless our offense finds a way to stay on the field for protracted drives themselves.
Agree, our depth up front on D should show up again. Tory Taylor could also play a huge role in field position in this one.

Suppose to be below zero at kickoff. I was at the Vikings/Seahawks playoff game in that stadium and it was much colder, but the ball went nowhere when kicking and throwing. The punters averaged 35 yards a kick. Seattle had WR's open deep down field and Wilson couldn't throw it far enough.

Reactions: BBHawk
A one-dimensional running team rarely does well against the Iowa defense. Eventually there's a hold, or a false start, or a tackle for a big loss that forces the 2nd and long incompletion and then the gates of hell open and let slip the dogs of war on 3rd down.

Hasn't Morgan been knocked out of a couple of games, maybe 2017 or 2016?

Suppose to be below zero at kickoff. I was at the Vikings/Seahawks playoff game in that stadium and it was much colder, but the ball went nowhere when kicking and throwing. The punters averaged 35 yards a kick. Seattle had WR's open deep down field and Wilson couldn't throw it far enough.
Conceptually I understand and agree with what you're saying. That said, if we play call for deep passes (which we probably won't), and the line gives Petras enough time to let the routes develop (they probably won't)....Petras won't have any trouble throwing the ball 50 yards downfield.

Reactions: hawkhockey
A one-dimensional running team rarely does well against the Iowa defense. Eventually there's a hold, or a false start, or a tackle for a big loss that forces the 2nd and long incompletion and then the gates of hell open and let slip the dogs of war on 3rd down.

Hasn't Morgan been knocked out of a couple of games, maybe 2017 or 2016?
Yes, late in the 2019 game on last drive Morgan was knocked silly by Eppy and/or Evans. He was clearly woozy and stayed in for another snap but then a true fresh ran the last play or two.

No. It's going to be cold as hell, but not sub zero. (unless you're Canadian)

Reactions: amahawk
Seems like our approach to the gophs has been to get off to a fast start then clench our butt cheeks. I hope we can get a couple score buffer early.

I'll take the red shirt frosh starting for them over the 5th year senior any day of the week even if Morgan hasn't been great this season. Looking at the numbers the backup hasn't been super accurate. He's bit more mobile and reading another Iowa site who interviewed a goofer writer say he has the bigger arm, however he is more mistake prone. So with our D I'll take the guy playing in his 4-5th game over Morgan.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
One thing about our D ... we are good at tackling, no matter how cold it is.

7735247480_307d2f1d55_b.jpg

If I’m an Iowa fan I definitely want Morgan to start, he’s much easier to defend than Kaliakmanis. The offense as a whole is easier to defend with Morgan. Kaliakmanis is a threat to keep the ball in the RPO offense while Morgan is not. He will probably keep it 8-10 times which really opens it up between the tackles for Ibrahim. Kaliakmanis can also scramble turning potential sacks into first downs.

Just look at our game in Lincoln. First half Morgan played and scored zero points with 31 total yards. Kaliakmanis plays the second half and scores 20 points with 270 yards of offense in a comeback win.

Reactions: desihawk
If I’m an Iowa fan I definitely want Morgan to start, he’s much easier to defend than Kaliakmanis. The offense as a whole is easier to defend with Morgan. Kaliakmanis is a threat to keep the ball in the RPO offense while Morgan is not. He will probably keep it 8-10 times which really opens it up between the tackles for Ibrahim. Kaliakmanis can also scramble turning potential sacks into first downs.

Just look at our game in Lincoln. First half Morgan played and scored zero points with 31 total yards. Kaliakmanis plays the second half and scores 20 points with 270 yards of offense in a comeback win.
yeah all said and done, i think we'll have to be prepped for both guys perhaps even for them to switch from set of downs or situationally

does the cold weather somewhat nullify punting prowess or will taylor continue doing what he does?
It really does depend, how is that for an answer? Kicking, like everything else, is more difficult in the extreme cold and wind. If Taylor is punting with the wind and if he gets one that hits the ground and rolls, could see a huge punt. But if he's going into the wind and mis-hits one, you can also see a 20-yard shank. In weather like this, every special teams play is a potential big play. It is very likely there will be a special teams gaffe of some sort. Which team will it be?

I like our chances against a freshman QB but either way it’s about stopping Ibrahim.
If Athlan starts, it will make MN very one-dimensional, which plays in perfectly to PP's defensive approach and they will shut down Ibrahim and the MN Offense. Morgan playing will give them a chance but it sounds like he is not fully healthy.

I disagree. Remember, Nebraska has possibly the worst run defense in the Big Ten. They are a sieve. Everyone runs on them and they aren't disciplined enough to hand RPO with Kali or anyone.

Iowa is the exact opposite. They are supremely disciplined and eat up 1 dimensional teams. Morgan's ability to at least be a pass threat, is the better answer for MN (assuming he is healthy).

If Athlan starts, it will make MN very one-dimensional, which plays in perfectly to PP's defensive approach and they will shut down Ibrahim and the MN Offense. Morgan playing will give them a chance but it sounds like he is not fully healthy.
The exact opposite of what you just said is true. Kaliakmanis opens up the offense immensely. Morgan makes the offense predictable and easy to defend. With Morgan the D can key on Ibrahim but with Kaliakmanis they need to worry about his running ability. He also has a rocket for an arm unlike Morgan.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT