ADVERTISEMENT

TBT; March 20, 1987; Seattle

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
Throwback Thursday, Sweet 16 game, Iowa vs Oklahoma, March 20, 1987, in Seattle's King Dome

Can we go back to Seattle, 28 years later (March 20, 2015) and experience some more Iowa basketball magic?

here is the video from 28 years ago:

This post was edited on 3/19 4:49 AM by OnceAhawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Aw0P_Em2cY#t=97

I remember driving to FL from CR for spring break that night and we stopped across the Illinois border to listen to the final seconds and Gamble's winner before we got out of range from 600 AM. It made the trip go a helluva lot better knowing we'd be in FL Sunday afternoon watching the UNLV game.

Then of course, the crusher occurred - and put a craphammer on the whole week.

I will still maintain that team should have won the championship that year. There was not a team better than Iowa...Iowa just plain lost is all.

That was the high point of the Tom Davis coaching era. The low point followed in the next game when we blew the halftime lead against UNLV. The press always worked great when we got steals, but not so well when teams like UNLV threw over the top for dunk after dunk. For those that watch the video, it looked as if Lohaus could have been called for a foul when he collided with the Okie player on the baseline on their last inbound.

I was at both the Oklahoma and UNLV games ('87)....That was about as exciting as it gets but nothing compares to my trip to the Spectrum in Philly in '80. I can still see Boyle passing to Waite and saying to myself....not good and being pleasantly surprised.

Originally posted by CRHawk85:
I was at both the Oklahoma and UNLV games ('87)....That was about as exciting as it gets but nothing compares to my trip to the Spectrum in Philly in '80. I can still see Boyle passing to Waite and saying to myself....not good and being pleasantly surprised.
My father-in-law wanted to quit watching that Georgetown game at the half to get a card game together. I said no this Hawkeye team could come back. Vince Brookins was on fire in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT