ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher celebrated by community..

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Until he came out as gay.
Some of these areas will have a real hard time finding teachers and doctors at this rate.

Thats pretty upsetting to see. I know it doesn't mean much but based off the picture he doesn't look to be a "flamboyant" or "in your face" type of gay person so what's the issue? If your child thinks he's a good and fun teacher who gives a F if he's gay.
All that matters is that they pass the purity test. Soon it will all be Catholic priests...

I don't remember my teachers in elementary sharing stories and pictures of their dating life. Maybe that doesn't need to be shared.... Whether you are gay or straight?

Would make things a whole lot simpler wouldn't it? We learned about school subjects/topics, not our teachers personal life.
Really? You didn't know which were married and which weren't?

Isn't it interesting that the community celebrated him when he was married to a woman and didn't mind him sharing stories about that, but when he came out it was suddenly an issue with a certain group of parents?

You left out the parts about him needing to share all of this with his 5th grade students.
Sorry, but if you feel the need to talk about your sexual preferences with 5th graders, you probably are going to get some push back.
Ghey or straight, details of your personal life don’t need to be known by 10 year olds.
Not talking about 'sexual preferences' just talking about their lives. You all are so worried about gays that you want them to pretend like they're not humans.

Not talking about 'sexual preferences' just talking about their lives. You all are so worried about gays that you want them to pretend like they're not humans.
Not worried about gays at all, I have gay family members, I'm all for gay marriage etc... be happy, whatever.
However the person in the story decided to make things about him and his life and his sexual preferences. Teaching 5th graders isn't about you and your coming out party.

I don't think anyone should talk about their personal lives in the office or especially with their students.

When I worked in an office, I stuck to talking about fishing and sports when anything personal came up.

JMO.

You must have been a miserable co-worker. I don't need to be friends with co-workers, but acting like you care matters

Not worried about gays at all, I have gay family members, I'm all for gay marriage etc... be happy, whatever.
However the person in the story decided to make things about him and his life and his sexual preferences. Teaching 5th graders isn't about you and your coming out party.
Yeah, that's what the story said. He was talking about who was top, who was bottom and how he shared dik pix with deangelovickers.

You must have been a miserable co-worker. I don't need to be friends with co-workers, but acting like you care matters

I was extremely friendly with everyone.

The office I worked in was like a high school gossip fest so I only talked about fishing and sports.

Talking about one's personal life in the office often has bad repercussions like this guy who told his 5th grade students something they didn't need to know.

I was extremely friendly with everyone.

The office I worked in was like a high school gossip fest so I only talked about fishing and sports.

Talking about one's personal life in the office often has bad repercussions like this guy who told his 5th grade students something they didn't need to know.

I don't blame you for staying out of that game.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Until he came out as gay.
Some of these areas will have a real hard time finding teachers and doctors at this rate.

Hopefully, they can get in a middle-aged female teacher who is dissatisfied with her husband & marriage and can molest their male underaged students now...

Each workplace atmosphere is different obviously but I think it's a good rule of thumb not to talk about personal life, politics or religion at work, IMO.

I have to be extremely careful about talking politics in the office now. Which frankly, is fine. I don't need to. Leave that shite for here

Reactions: BrianNole777
Hanging a pride flag in a classroom and then talking to the kids about his personal life - gay or straight -have no place in an elementary classroom. Does he deserve to be fired? Probably not given it sounds like he is/was a good educator but more of a reprimand than anything.
My kids classrooms had lots of little flags to make kids feel welcome. State flags, Israeli flag, pride flags, sports flags. The idea is that everyone is welcome.

As for personal stuff one teacher had an entire wall dedicated to their obsession with Star Trek. Kids thought it was great. They only learn to hate at home.

My kids classrooms had lots of little flags to make kids feel welcome. State flags, Israeli flag, pride flags, sports flags. The idea is that everyone is welcome.

As for personal stuff one teacher had an entire wall dedicated to their obsession with Star Trek. Kids thought it was great. They only learn to hate at home.

Any Trump flags in there?

How would that have gone over? :)

Thats pretty upsetting to see. I know it doesn't mean much but based off the picture he doesn't look to be a "flamboyant" or "in your face" type of gay person so what's the issue? If your child thinks he's a good and fun teacher who gives a F if he's gay.

You left out the parts about him needing to share all of this with his 5th grade students.
Sorry, but if you feel the need to talk about your sexual preferences with 5th graders, you probably are going to get some push back.
Ghey or straight, details of your personal life don’t need to be known by 10 year olds.

Teachers shouldn't talk about their sexual preferences in the classroom, IMO.
He talked about sex with them? Ummmm, no. What stupid responses.
Fvcking bigots showing their true colors in here. “THE GAY MAN TALKED ABOUT BEING GAY THE HORROR!” Go fvck yourselves.
This. Well said.

I love when people claim that teachers sharing pieces of their personal lives with students is some new phenomenon.

Do you really think none of your teachers had photos of their partners/kids on their desk or on their walls? Did they never spend the last 10 minutes of a Friday asking if anyone had any big plans or spending the first few minutes of a Monday sharing what they did on the weekend. Did they never share a funny story about what their kid or partner did?

Or was it so common/unnoteworthy that your mind has completely forgot these things happened on a weekly/daily basis and no one cared until this manufactured panic of the last few years.

I love when people claim that teachers sharing pieces of their personal lives with students is some new phenomenon.

Do you really think none of your teachers had photos of their partners/kids on their desk or on their walls? Did they never spend the last 10 minutes of a Friday asking if anyone had any big plans or spending the first few minutes of a Monday sharing what they did on the weekend. Did they never share a funny story about what their kid or partner did?

Or was it so common/unnoteworthy that your mind has completely forgot these things happened on a weekly/daily basis and no one cared until this manufactured panic of the last few years.
The good news is that these great teachers they chase off will move to neighborhoods like mine. Our kids will benefit and their will suffer, and they'll be the cause.

I had a teacher in high school that would openly talk about her and her husband trying to have babies. She was EXTREMELY religious, but felt it was okay to openly tell us students when her and her husband banged.

I had a teacher in high school that would openly talk about her and her husband trying to have babies. She was EXTREMELY religious, but felt it was okay to openly tell us students when her and her husband banged.

I had a teacher in 8th grade whose wife was pregnant. He was extremely excited and talked about it daily.

Then the son was born with a disability. Oy. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT