ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher gets smacked in head with chair thrown by student

Oh my. You’re sure about that, eh?
Millions of people have insurance who could never afford it. Infrastructure issues are being addressed after years of empty "Infrastructure Week" posturing. A significant investment in dealing with climate change has been passed.

Yeah...pretty sure.

A 1st grader hit my wife's vice principal in the head with a chair last year.

Now, as for punishment, how would you punish a 7 year old whose dad is in jail, mom does drugs and deserted them, grandma, who they live with, is a POS and the kid is better off, and safer, at school. Because the idea of "punishing kids like that is an almost daily occurrence at my wife's elementary school.

Kid breaks the rules, gets violent, does something to someone, but NEEDS to be in school because their home life is s***. My wife and her administration deal with this daily. They have to balance between keeping the other kids safe and getting a good education and not letting the kid who needs to be in school to even have a chance at life stay at home where they will get abused or ignored.

So, yes, it's a bit mote complicated than "Suspend them and let the parent fix the problem". The parents don't fix it, or can't fix it, or don't see that there's a problem.
Maybe take them from shitty parents or home life and have them raised as a ward of the state in a far better environment?

Reactions: LuteHawk
Great suggestions all but you're missing one that has to be a priority...retain those teachers you've got.

In NC:

Longevity pay is to recognize long-term service. An eligible employee who has at least ten (10) years of total State service shall receive a lump sum payment annually as outlined below.

This year, that would be worth over $2800 for me. But the NCGOP took that away years ago. From teachers ONLY. Every other state employee gets that bonus. Every single one. The custodians who clean our rooms get the bonus - and it is deserved. The staff of the asshats in the GA get that bonus...definitely not deserved.

The pay scale is set up to give annual raises for a teacher's first 15 years. The raise they get at year 15 is the last one they'll get for a decade...the next raise comes at year 25. And that raise will be the last one they ever get. The NCGOP has taken the money that should be providing raises and bonuses for experienced teachers and used it to sweeten the pot for new hires - who bail out at an extremely high rate. Nearly 15% of new hires are gone within three years. They look at the writing on the wall and know this isn't a long-term profession, so they quit. Which is EXACTLY what the NCGOP wants.

If my pay in 2009 had just tracked inflation, I would be making $10K more a year now. Plus a longevity bonus worth thousands more. But the NCGOP took over the state general assembly in 2010 and they've been waging war. They've stolen tens of thousands of dollars from every experienced teacher in the state since then.
Damn. That is awful. What does the salary look like for an experienced teacher in NC? Or even a starting one?

One current reality in America is the decline in believing
a healthy marriage is very important to raising children.

A 2006 Gallup poll showed that 49% of those polled
believed that it is very important for men and women
who have children to be married.

A 2022 Gallup poll showed that only 29% think that
marriage is very important for childrearing.

Damn. That is awful. What does the salary look like for an experienced teacher in NC? Or even a starting one?
This year beginners make $37K Annual increases to year 15 where they make $52K. Ten years later they get their next raise to $54K. and that's it. A 30 year teacher this year is making $2,000/year more than a teacher with 15 years in the system. That's with a bachelor's degree. If you're hired with a master's...well...it's exactly the same.

The whole schedule increases if they create a new budget...starting pay next year will be $39K...but the sequence doesn't budge. So a new teacher gets a $200/month raise next year. At 33 years, I would get half that if I wasn't GTFO.

This year beginners make $37K Annual increases to year 15 where they make $52K. Ten years later they get their next raise to $54K. and that's it. A 30 year teacher this year is making $2,000/year more than a teacher with 15 years in the system. That's with a bachelor's degree. If you're hired with a master's...well...it's exactly the same.

The whole schedule increases if they create a new budget...starting pay next year will be $39K...but the sequence doesn't budge. So a new teacher gets a $200/month raise next year. At 33 years, I would get half that if I wasn't GTFO.
Hold on a minute. Are you telling me that teachers in NC top out at 54k? Am I reading that right?

Reactions: Tom Paris
I remember mom telling me stories of rulers being broken over their backs and hands. And before recess one nun would tell the kids if they were bad Satan would open the playground and pull them to hell. She seemed nice.
Never ever had such a thing. My 6th grade nun was a witch but she never did things like that.

Never ever had such a thing. My 6th grade nun was a witch but she never did things like that.
Perhaps super small town Iowa nun lady was extra mean compared to others. She always spoke of "Sister Valvoda" much differently than the other nuns.

It's also possible my mom was a terror as a child haha.

When you mentioned indoctrination I (incorrectly) figured you were referring to what I was posting about (mom talking about nuns being able to hit students).
No, that is what I was talking about. I was being facetious. "Fear of God" seems to be what many morons think is lacking in schools these days.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Hold on a minute. Are you telling me that teachers in NC top out at 54k? Am I reading that right?
Tim Allen Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

LEA's (local districts) pay supplements to boost salaries and attract teachers but those amounts vary WIDELY across the state and are one factor in the 1994 Leandro lawsuit that required the state to provide equal opportunities in all LEAs. It's oin the state constitution. They have finally - after over 25 years - started to aid the poor counties to allow them to boost supplements and attract teachers.

• Sad
Reactions: srams21
No, that is what I was talking about. I was being facetious. "Fear of God" seems to be what many morons think is lacking in schools these days.
It was a phrase generally used by Mom and Dad back in the day, when Mom and Dad said it because that’s what they heard growing up.

Tim Allen Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

LEA's (local districts) pay supplements to boost salaries and attract teachers but those amounts vary WIDELY across the state and are one factor in the 1994 Leandro lawsuit that required the state to provide equal opportunities in all LEAs. It's oin the state constitution. They have finally - after over 25 years - started to aid the poor counties to allow them to boost supplements and attract teachers.
I just can't imagine how the larger urban areas find teachers give the COL. If a career takes 15 years to get to 50k (with 2023 COL) I'm honestly shocked they don't have major shortages.

I just can't imagine how the larger urban areas find teachers give the COL. If a career takes 15 years to get to 50k (with 2023 COL) I'm honestly shocked they don't have major shortages.
What other job gives you that kind of time off?
Take a look at the retirement they get also.

• Sad
What other job gives you that kind of time off?
Take a look at the retirement they get also.
MANY jobs do and, AGAIN, teachers are only paid for the days they work. Good God with some of your thick skulls. Many jobs have far more PAID TIME OFF than educators.

Reactions: win4jj
Right now, statewide, there's a shortage of about 5.5%. Of course, the problems are far worse (more than double that number) in LEA's that traditionally have trouble attracting teachers. That means over 5,000 classrooms in the state without a full-time teacher.

MANY jobs do and, AGAIN, teachers are only paid for the days they work. Good God with some of your thick skulls. Many jobs have far more PAID TIME OFF than educators.

California school days a year 180. Length of school days 4 hours. Not exactly a full time job.
You keep trying to use the weasel logic of they on get paid for the days they work, well so does everyone. If you divide their salaries by the number of days and hours they actually work. Their pay is a lot better than you pretend it is .

BTW, interesting side note, in 2009 before the GOP took control, a teacher with my years of experience and certification made $52, 550 AND received a yearly bonus worth 4.5% of that for a total of just under $55,000/year. In 2009.

So, yeah, the NCGOP is waging war on public education, teachers, and especially those with experience.

• Sad
Reactions: srams21
California school days a year 180. Length of school days 4 hours. Not exactly a full time job.
You keep trying to use the weasel logic of they on get paid for the days they work, well so does everyone. If you divide their salaries by the number of days and hours they actually work. Their pay is a lot better than you pretend it is .
LOL...could you share the source for your 4-hour workday? Students who arrive at 8 am have to be gone by noon?

Wow. I should have moved to California. My school day was 8:15-4:15, plus staying late or coming in earlier for activities, none of which were paid. I would have killed for a 4 hour day gig.

Having said that, I wasn't getting rich by any means, but my salary wasn't all that bad when you add in the summer months off, and the pension is a real winner. There may be some school systems with really low pay scales, but I'm unaware of them.

Reactions: goldmom
I see where you are getting your MINIMUM of 4 hours from but that's not what the rest of the art is saying...the math doesn't add up. Nice try though to diminish the teaching profession into a part time job. Again, you prove you know next to nothing about educating children.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinehawk
Don't underestimate the effect of video games on kids. They are desensitized to violence and death.
The video games that have been around for 40+ years? Go to bed, grandpa. This schtick is as tired and old as you.

Speaking of indoctrination, I had to change my intramurals morning because it interferes with a church group that meets with our students…in a public school. Kids would rather play games than be indoctrinated, apparently. God didn’t like that.
On the one hand you say, the public has no idea what teachers in a school have to deal with. Then you complain that a church group is meeting with kids before school.

It seems to me more church groups should be welcomed into the schools to try and teach morality, forgiveness and love. The issue we are dealing with in this country is morality.......

On the one hand you say, the public has no idea what teachers in a school have to deal with. Then you complain that a church group is meeting with kids before school.

It seems to me more church groups should be welcomed into the schools to try and teach morality, forgiveness and love. The issue we are dealing with in this country is morality.......
I didn't complain. I was sarcastic because people like you cry about grooming in schools. Well, if that was a Wiccan group you'd lose your shit.

Reactions: goldmom
Tell me the look of video games in 1983 versus 2023.
The “look of videogames?” You sound as out of touch as finance. Olds have been blaming videogames for decades, with a Senate hearing on the topic taking place in 1993. A couple of generations have grown up playing videogames, would you say the problems being discussed in this thread were the same for those generations? Why videogames and not television, movies, music, social media, etc? Is it possible olds “over value” the influence videogames play in the current gen? Do you know the most popular titles played and which demos are playing them?

Last edited:

I don’t want some mail order preacher coming into a classroom where MY kids are. If parents want to take their kids to church on a Sunday to hear that then that’s their decision.
Let them go to Young Life in high school.
Send them to Vacation Bible school.
YOU teach them morality. Not a teacher or a preacher.

Was it always like this in schools, I’d assume not so start off by asking what has changed with kids? They have always been impressionable. Who are they impersonating, most likely it’s peers and what they see at home.

The question is, what are they being exposed to in the home and why? There in May be the answer.

Christian parents see their children as a gift and blessing
from the Lord. They understand they have the primary
responsibility to raise their children as a Christian. They
need to set a good example for their children. The local
church stands ready to assist them in that task through
Sunday School, Youth groups, Confirmation classes, etc.

Bottom Line: The public schools were never intended
to replace the primary responsibilities of parenting.
Morality is caught and taught in the home.

Christian parents see their children as a gift and blessing
from the Lord. They understand they have the primary
responsibility to raise their children as a Christian. They
need to set a good example for their children. The local
church stands ready to assist them in that task through
Sunday School, Youth groups, Confirmation classes, etc.
And non-Christian parents don't think of their children as gifts? What Lord are we talking about?

So now religion is like grooming, you really are morally lost.
So, again, if it was a Wiccan, or Islamic group talking to children in a public school you’d lose your mind…because you’re a hypocrite.

You voted twice for Donald Trump. Don’t ever question anyone else’s morals here.

Reactions: HawkNester
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT