ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher gets smacked in head with chair thrown by student

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

Michigan teacher going back to work after getting smacked in head with chair thrown by student in viral video​

A Michigan teacher hit in back of the head by a chair thrown by a student in a recent viral video is returning to work, and the student accused of launching the furniture is facing felony charges.
Flint Community Schools reacted to the now-viral video on Thursday, saying the incident "occurred at Southwestern Classical Academy concerning a physical altercation between two scholars. This unfortunate incident resulted in a staff member sustaining an injury."

Footage shows two teen girls yelling at each other in a classroom with the teacher in the middle, appearing to try to de-escalate the situation as curse words fly. One of the girls, identified by local ABC 12 as being 15 years old, picks up a chair and hurls it, smacking the unsuspecting teacher's head.
Students immediately react verbally to the teacher's injury after she falls to the floor, and some desks are toppled over before the video ends.

Michigan student picks up chair before throw

The school's resource officer was called in to break up the fight, and found the teacher lying on the floor with head injuries, Flint Police Chief Terence Green told ABC 12.

The Genesee County Prosecutor’s Office has reportedly charged the unidentified teen who threw the metal chair with two counts of felony assault as a result of the incident.

A district press release from Friday says the teacher was released from the hospital the same day of the incident and is doing well.
"Furthermore, I am heartened to inform you that the teacher has chosen to return to work," the statement by Superintendent Kevelin Jones said. "On the day of the teacher's return, scholars and staff will be present to extend their warm welcome. They consider this teacher a hero, and we share in their sentiment."

Michigan teacher with chair coming right at her

The statement added that the student involved will be "held accountable according to the law and in accordance with the Flint Community Schools Student Code of Conduct."

Fox News Digital was directed to the district's superintendent when inquiring for more information, but he did not immediately respond.

If the colors were reversed?

Black teacher going back to work after getting smacked in head with chair thrown by white student in viral video​

A 1st grader hit my wife's vice principal in the head with a chair last year.

Now, as for punishment, how would you punish a 7 year old whose dad is in jail, mom does drugs and deserted them, grandma, who they live with, is a POS and the kid is better off, and safer, at school. Because the idea of "punishing kids like that is an almost daily occurrence at my wife's elementary school.

Kid breaks the rules, gets violent, does something to someone, but NEEDS to be in school because their home life is s***. My wife and her administration deal with this daily. They have to balance between keeping the other kids safe and getting a good education and not letting the kid who needs to be in school to even have a chance at life stay at home where they will get abused or ignored.

So, yes, it's a bit mote complicated than "Suspend them and let the parent fix the problem". The parents don't fix it, or can't fix it, or don't see that there's a problem.

Now, as for punishment, how would you punish a 7 year old whose dad is in jail, mom does drugs and deserted them, grandma, who they live with, is a POS and the kid is better off, and safer, at school. Because the idea of "punishing kids like that is an almost daily occurrence at my wife's elementary school.

Kid breaks the rules, gets violent, does something to someone, but NEEDS to be in school because their home life is s***. My wife and her administration deal with this daily. They have to balance between keeping the other kids safe and getting a good education and not letting the kid who needs to be in school to even have a chance at life stay at home where they will get abused or ignored.

So, yes, it's a bit mote complicated than "Suspend them and let the parent fix the problem". The parents don't fix it, or can't fix it, or don't see that there's a problem.
Nor can 1st grade teachers who already have their hands full with 25 other students.
Either have a discipline problem kids wing in the school, better programs for alternative separate schooling for these kids who can't function in normal school, or expel on strike 3 and send home. But keeping them in normal class or letting them wander the halls with a para in tow aren't the answers.

Nor can 1st grade teachers who already have their hands full with 25 other students.
Either have a discipline problem kids wing in the school, better programs for alternative separate schooling for these kids who can't function in normal school, or expel on strike 3 and send home. But keeping them in normal class or letting them wander the halls with a para in tow aren't the answers.
No first-grade teacher should have >20 kids in their class absent a full-time aide. Class size of 15 would fix a lot of those kinds of problems.

Bring back the old assed, scary and pissed off grandma teachers that resembled witches like when I went through elementary school in the 80s. No trifling with them old school hardasses.

How does a class size of 15 prevent a kid with crack head parents from hitting a teacher with a chair? Not saying smaller classes aren't a great thing, but not seeing how it prevents the topic being discussed.

Reactions: ironside1

This is why abortion should be legal

Bring back the old assed, scary and pissed off grandma teachers that resembled witches like when I went through elementary school in the 80s. No trifling with them old school hardasses.

Doesn't work. How is someone scary if they are getting beaten at home because dad had a bad day?

Reactions: TC Nole OX

Again, the vast vast majority of people who comment on here about teachers and schools truly have NO IDEA what teachers deal with on a daily basis. Having said that, kids who continually assault staff have no business being in a general classroom setting, imho. Teachers should be thanked by these mostly Republicans instead of attacking, because again, they don't understand the job.

We have a new violent 3rd grader who continuously screams at the top of his lungs. One of his classmates told me she asks to go to the bathroom just so she can get out of the room and give her ears a break. His previous school did no paper work on him for SPED.

Last edited:
No first-grade teacher should have >20 kids in their class absent a full-time aide. Class size of 15 would fix a lot of those kinds of problems.
I don't even know what that would look like. We have 2 first grade classes of 25 with zero para support.

You’re saying stuff that not nearly enough people are saying.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Again, the vast vast majority of people who comment on her about teachers and schools truly have NO IDEA what teachers deal with on a daily basis. Having said that, kids who continually assault staff have no business being in a general classroom setting, imho. Teachers should be thanked by these mostly Republicans instead of attacking, because again, they don't understand the job.

We have a new violent 3rd grader who continuously screams at the top of his lungs. One of his classmates told me she asks to go to the bathroom just so she can get out of the room and give her ears a break. His previous school did not paper work on him for SPED.

As I've seen posted by teachers "If I had time to indoctrinate, I'd indoctrinate them to behave and listen"

Just an example. My wife also had a student last year getting SA'd by their mom.

Keep in mind, this is Ankeny, IA. It's not any different in any school district in the US. The only "difference" is numbers, not percentages. The reason my wife has so many issues is that she has 700 kids in her school (one of 13, IIRC, elementary schools). Small town schools have the exact same issues, they're just dealing with 3 or 4 kids because the elementary school has 60 kids, not 700.

Your wife is in elementary school?

Wrong Tarheel, we need the military to hoard 18 trillion f’king dollars each year. That’ll help these situations.

Seriously though, I agree. We need federal laws around class sizes.

Last edited:
As I've seen posted by teachers "If I had time to indoctrinate, I'd indoctrinate them to behave and listen"
Speaking of indoctrination, I had to change my intramurals morning because it interferes with a church group that meets with our students…in a public school. Kids would rather play games than be indoctrinated, apparently. God didn’t like that.

Reactions: SSG T
STFU, you have no f’king idea what you’re talking about pissant.
I know exactly what I’m talking about. Teachers are making their jobs harder by following Marxist ideology. They have no control over the students anymore. Then they want to blame Republicans and the lack of money for their problems in the classroom. When you’re a Bernie Sanders and The Squad supporter theirs no accountability in the classroom or at home.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
I know exactly what I’m talking about. Teachers are making their jobs harder by following Marxist ideology. They have no control over the students anymore. Then they want to blame Republicans and the lack of money for their problems in the classroom. When you’re a Bernie Sanders and The Squad supporter theirs no accountability in the classroom or at home.

giphy.gif

arrest student, require the parents to go through a review of their parenting and follow through with counseling or whatever to fix deficiencies to reduce the student’s sentence.

Thanks for proving my point. You’re clueless.

For the adults in this thread. Here‘s what we need to do. And I’ll remind everyone, we have the resources to accomplish all of what I type below.
1. Reduce class size
2. Recruit talent; signing bonuses, housing, etc.
3. Reexamine traditional school settings: we still abide by industrial age philosophy.
4. Provide opportunity for trade starting in middle school
5. More community schools that include health care providers, dentist, etc.
6. Provide opportunities for extra curricular activities after school: sports, stem, etc.
7. Regulation and accountability of social media, starting with the companies themselves.
8. Reexamine the 40 hour work week for parents and adults.
I’m leaving other ideas out, but this is where I’d start.

You’re very wrong. When there is zero parenting in the home (Single mother in an apartment, no breakfast) kids arrive at school in no shape to learn, no expectations set at home where a parent has actually raised them to behave, respect others and the teacher, and to understand that school is a place for learning.
I’m a Republican and a former teacher. Yes, some parts of the country have teachers unions where the leadership only cares about the teacher and not the kid but the rank and file are largely dedicated professionals who are seeing things in their classrooms they sure aren’t responsible for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT