ADVERTISEMENT

Tequila or mezcal, or both?

Feb 9, 2013
I’m a novice when it comes to this stuff. I was at the liquor store tonight getting a basic education on the differences, varieties, etc.

What do you like best and why? Any recs?

I’m a novice when it comes to this stuff. I was at the liquor store tonight getting a basic education on the differences, varieties, etc.

There’s a third option I like just as much as tequila made from a desert plant, Sotol. Look for Desert Door Sotol from Texas and learn to make Ranchwaters with it. It’s delicious and refreshing.

So as a quick refresher, in order to be tequila it has to be made from one species of plant, the blue agave and come from a small handful of states in Mexico. Mescal/Mezcal on the other hand can come from blue agave from the other states OR it can be any genera of agave (silver agave seems to be the most common, at least for sale in Mericuh). The Sotol I mentioned previously is also from a different desert plant than kind of looks like a small scrawny agave plant, but it’s from a completely different genera than any of the agaves used in Tequila or Mescal.

Because it comes from so many different areas, so many different plant species and so many different techniques of production, Mescal has a huge range of flavors and quality. But for the most I very rarely find Mescals I like as well as Sotols or Tequilas. Most Mescals have a sharp, acrid cigarette Smoke flavor instead of a rich earthy pipe or cigar smoke.

So far the best tequila I’ve found especially for the price is the silver Olmeca Altos.

As far as Mescals go, I don’t have a rec because they vary way too much in sweetness, smoke levels and overall flavor. And the best Mescal I’ve found, I’d only give a 7/10 to, meanwhile I’d give Olmeca Altos Plata and Desert Door Sotol 10/10s.

Last edited:
Stay away from all Blancos unless you're making margaritas or palomas.

Reposado - aged. Floral, spices, etc taste
Anejo - aged longer. Caramel, butterscotch, etc taste.

Both good for sipping depending on what flavor you're going for.

Start with Cazadores (Rep or Anejo) and work up from there.

Next time you're in a Mexican restaurant, look at the bar for their tequila selection. You can get some top shelf stuff for a pour and see what you like.

I love a good mezcal, but they're not easy to find; most liquor stores carry a far bigger selection of tequila than mezcal. Which to buy depends mostly on how you're going to drink it. Mezcal has a stronger taste, usually smoky but not always.

If you're just making margaritas - especially frozen - just buy a cheap blanca tequila. The one Tribe mentioned, Altos is really good. On the rocks, a mezcal margarita is a nice change but will certainly taste different than one with tequila. For shots, I prefer a decent, reposado tequila. El Jimador, Cazadores, or Altos are good & relatively inexpensive. If sipping on the rocks, you need a good anejo tequila. Herradura is very good & won't break the bank. If drinking neat, I want either a premium tequila or a good mezcal (mezcal is best like this - room temperature, sipped, with some orange slices & some sal de gusano...worm salt). Sacraficio is really good.

Good advice, thanks!

I received a good rec from the liquor store guy for a cheap but great tequila for making margaritas. As everyone said, it gets more complicated when you venture into the higher quality tequilas and mezcals for drinking by themselves.

Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT