ADVERTISEMENT

Texas GOP looking to lock Dems out of statewide office of any kind

tarheelbybirth

HR King
Apr 17, 2003
On Saturday, Texas Republicans voted on a range of policy proposals at the party's biannual conference which took place from May 23-25 in San Antonio. Once these votes have been counted, the official Texas state Republican policy platform is expected to be revealed later this week.

Proposal 21, under the state sovereignty section, called for a "concurrent majority" to be required in order to hold statewide office.

It says: "The State Legislature shall cause to be enacted a State Constitutional Amendment to add the additional criteria for election to a statewide office to include the majority vote of the counties with each individual county being assigned one vote allocated to the popular majority vote winner of each individual county."

Their plan is to install an "electoral college" system that would prevent any Democrat from holding state office no matter how many votes they received.

Texas GOP Amendment Would Stop Democrats Winning Any State Election

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
It's more specific than that. In their minds, only certain people should be voting
If you vote Democratic, there would be absolutely no reason to vote for a statewide office. Your candidate could never win. And there are posters here who would champion that.

I'm really looking for some of our resident "conservatives" to opine on this idea.

2024 Republican party leaders and the people who advise them on how to hold power are really freaking EVIL humans. Voters won't care because anything is preferable than the Democrats. Brainwashed simpletons.

2024 Republican party leaders and the people who advise them on how to hold power are really freaking EVIL humans. Voters won't care because anything is preferable than the Democrats. Brainwashed simpletons.

They don't care because legally enforced single party rule is fun when you are in the ruling party. Dictatorships are fun when your guy is the dictator.

That's ultimately what it boils down to.

They don't care because legally enforced single party rule is fun when you are in the ruling party. Dictatorships are fun when your guy is the dictator.

That's ultimately what it boils down to.

I've said for decades that as much as Republicans/Conservatives claim to love freedom, democracy, and small government; they actually are drawn to strongman dictatorships when the strongman is on the same "side" as they are. The fervor for a strong military, for "law and order", minimum sentences, death penalty, zero tolerance -- these are all big government ideas that they love. The electoral college is anti-democracy that they love.

They don't love democracy. They don't want small government. They love bullies who will oppress their enemies.

I've said for decades that as much as Republicans/Conservatives claim to love freedom, democracy, and small government; they actually are drawn to strongman dictatorships when the strongman is on the same "side" as they are. The fervor for a strong military, for "law and order", minimum sentences, death penalty, zero tolerance -- these are all big government ideas that they love. The electoral college is anti-democracy that they love.

They don't love democracy. They don't want small government. They love bullies who will oppress their enemies.
It's a Republic!

On Saturday, Texas Republicans voted on a range of policy proposals at the party's biannual conference which took place from May 23-25 in San Antonio. Once these votes have been counted, the official Texas state Republican policy platform is expected to be revealed later this week.

Proposal 21, under the state sovereignty section, called for a "concurrent majority" to be required in order to hold statewide office.

It says: "The State Legislature shall cause to be enacted a State Constitutional Amendment to add the additional criteria for election to a statewide office to include the majority vote of the counties with each individual county being assigned one vote allocated to the popular majority vote winner of each individual county."

Their plan is to install an "electoral college" system that would prevent any Democrat from holding state office no matter how many votes they received.

That’s weird. As you know I’m a big fan of the federal ec, as a great mechanism for moderation in a large and diverse republic. Texas is not that republic though.

My brother called today to talk about a fishing trip (he takes a lot now that he's retired) and mentioned that he and his wife are looking for somewhere to move. They love San Antonio and their house but as he said "it's a crazy ass state." There was this story and Paxton trying to kick out anyone who voted to impeach him for his crimes.

That’s weird. As you know I’m a big fan of the federal ec, as a great mechanism for moderation in a large and diverse republic. Texas is not that republic though.
The EC doesn't moderate anything but we'll leave that for now. If it's good for the country, why isn't it good for the state? I realize TX would have to modify it some to more closely resemble the EC but it would still guarantee a GOP win every time.

I know what would cure this. Rs scouring the planet to find some trans athlete to go after.

What a backwards ass state. At least the cons won’t be able to blame democrats as their state continues to circle the drain. Been to Texas once, no plans to ever return.
You got that right, there’s a few things I like about the state (BBQ, Blue Bell ice cream, Austin, Big Bend NP) but overall an over-rated shithole

Reactions: SolarHawk
You got that right, there’s a few things I like about the state (BBQ, Blue Bell ice cream, Austin, Big Bend NP) but overall an over-rated shithole
Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

Boy you would think with all these vile, evil things Texas Republicans are doing no one from other states would want to move there. O wait…

Libs keep leaving the heavens of California for the Republican death cult/dictatorship in Texas. How odd.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Boy you would think with all these vile, evil things Texas Republicans are doing no one from other states would want to move there. O wait…

Libs keep leaving the heavens of California for the Republican death cult/dictatorship in Texas. How odd.

Good, go to Texas. Less traffic for me in Florida😎

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole

If Republican Lawmakers were so confident that all these people were moving to Texas for their policies they wouldn't be trying to pass this legislation.

If Republican Lawmakers were so confident that all these people were moving to Texas for their policies they wouldn't be trying to pass this legislation.
This legislation is trash but most proposed legislation is. That’s why it stays proposed and is killed. Libs in this thread make Texas sound like a third world country being run by theocratic dictators. If that were the case why are so many leftists leaving blue heavens like Cali and New York to go to Texas?

I had to look it up...the most populous county in TX is Harris County with 4.8 million inhabitants.

The least populated county - which would have the same electoral weight as Harris County - is Loving County.

Population - 43. There are no zeroes after that number.

So if it passes, wouldn't the Dems just need to have 44 people declare residency at the last minute?

Wouldn't it be awesome if as a result everyone became a Republican in Texas and just fvcked everything up for everyone? Every Dem voter and every dem candidate. Just switch.

Probably why the Texas GOP is trying to change these election laws. They are afraid of losing control.

Reactions: franklinman
Probably why the Texas GOP is trying to change these election laws. They are afraid of losing control.
If this were true(we have been hearing from leftists for years that Texas is ready to turn blue) then maybe you would have a point. I remember when Beto was going to beat Cruz in the Senate race and then beat Abbot in the governors race(maybe that order was flipped can’t remember) and neither happened. This is typical party trash legislation that will never make it but will sure get partisans like you all worked up.

If this were true(we have been hearing from leftists for years that Texas is ready to turn blue) then maybe you would have a point. I remember when Beto was going to beat Cruz in the Senate race and then beat Abbot in the governors race(maybe that order was flipped can’t remember) and neither happened. This is typical party trash legislation that will never make it but will sure get partisans like you all worked up.
What part of Texas do you reside in friend?

This legislation is trash but most proposed legislation is. That’s why it stays proposed and is killed. Libs in this thread make Texas sound like a third world country being run by theocratic dictators. If that were the case why are so many leftists leaving blue heavens like Cali and New York to go to Texas?
No state tax, low cost of living and warm weather. It's not difficult.

Reactions: SolarHawk
You clearly haven’t been paying attention. The elections the past few cycles are getting more purple from the deep red they were just a decade ago. Ask why else would the GOP attempt to do this.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT