ADVERTISEMENT

The Atlantic: What Really Happens When Americans Stop Going to Church

Christianity believes in the Triune God, Father, Son and
Holy Spirit. The Unitarians do not believe in the Triune God
and therefore are not considered Christian.

Unitarians only believe in God the Father and deny that
Christ was divine. They believe that man is free to believe
whatever he wants and that a good ethical character will
determine your spiritual destiny. They put their faith in man.

Reactions: BrianNole777
What really happens when Americans stop going to church? They get a lot of time and money back in their lives. It’s glorious.

Part of the downfall of our society and the west.

People have become engrossed in themselves and think of themselves as the most important piece. Politicians as idols and a new religion of political parties.

HORTGOAT is an example of the online places that have replaced churches. Not just churches, but service clubs like Rotary or Lions.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
HORTGOAT is an example of the online places that have replaced churches. Not just churches, but service clubs like Rotary or Lions.
Probably true to an extent. But we're not in person interacting. We're not enjoying beer together. We don't live physically near. It's not as good. Example of a replacement not being as good as the original.

Probably true to an extent. But we're not in person interacting. We're not enjoying beer together. We don't live physically near. It's not as good. Example of a replacement not being as good as the original.

Exactly. You dont know really who you are interacting with. People play roles, etc.

Facebook is worse though.

So is being a proud communist.

Awesome Animation GIF by Holler Studios

Some who have left the Catholic Church were upset with
the coverup of the child abuse by priests.

Some who have left Protestant churches were upset with
their parishes condoning same-sex marriages and gay clergy.

Bottom Line: The exodus from American congregations has
happened because pastoral leadership has lost their focus on
Christ who is the foundation of Christian beliefs.

No. People leave the church b/c it isn't worth the effort. Listening to the constant, redundant messages week after week while seeing the lack of effect those messages have on behavior, including fellow members is not a recipe for keeping the crew happy.

The older stories grow the less believable or are considered believable. And the story of Christ is just that: a story. Immaculate conception. How many more generations can you spin that yarn to before the whole flock says "WTF?". People are born without information and gather and process it based on environment and exposure. I was baptized, raised going to church, Sunday school. the whole ball of wax.

The Christian religion thing began to make no sense. Why were these people going to church listening to the same crap every Sunday with different words as matter of routine. No conviction. They were cheating on each other's wives and the minister was looking up girl's shirts, just a microcosm of society.

So, IMO religions, I can only relate to Christian- related have created their own problem. By being judgmental and self-serving they have continually ostracized younger generations. Christianity is special because it came at a point in history when publishing and distribution made is so. Every religion has or will run its course.

The Christian religion thing began to make no sense. Why were these people going to church listening to the same crap every Sunday with different words as matter of routine. No conviction. They were cheating on each other's wives and the minister was looking up girl's shirts, just a microcosm of society.
This is the part that always gets me. People assume church=good but in reality a lot of the time church= making a shit person feel good about themselves. My mom never went to church until I was 20 years old. By the time I was 22, she was going 3-4 times a week....then it turns out she had been having a long affair outside of her marriage w/ my dad. She was drowning herself in church to try and balance out how shitty of a person she is.

Church and organized religion are just scams. The absolute best, honest, most trustworthy people I know don't go to church.

• Wow
Science has proven many things our ancestors, through no fault of their own, were legitimate miracles by a greater power, such as God; were not miracles or some work of a high power. So the whole premise of this type of after life, miracles and such, has been exposed, that’s one of the big issues.

Science has proven many things our ancestors, through no fault of their own, were legitimate miracles by a greater power, such as God; were not miracles or some work of a high power. So the whole premise of this type of after life, miracles and such, has been exposed, that’s one of the big issues.

Interesting concept. Science has proven the power of God. Where do I find this lab?

Edit: re-reading, you are saying miracles are not the result of a higher power?

No. People leave the church b/c it isn't worth the effort. Listening to the constant, redundant messages week after week while seeing the lack of effect those messages have on behavior, including fellow members is not a recipe for keeping the crew happy.

The older stories grow the less believable or are considered believable. And the story of Christ is just that: a story. Immaculate conception. How many more generations can you spin that yarn to before the whole flock says "WTF?". People are born without information and gather and process it based on environment and exposure. I was baptized, raised going to church, Sunday school. the whole ball of wax.

So, IMO religions, I can only relate to Christian- related have created their own problem. By being judgmental and self-serving they have continually ostracized younger generations. Christianity is special because it came at a point in history when publishing and distribution made is so. Every religion has or will run its course.

All due respect but do you even know what the Immaculate conception is? It doesn't mean the virgin birth, it means Mary was born without original sin. It's confusing, I know. :)

It doesn't make sense to me why anyone would leave church because some of the members are hypocrites or bad people. Would you leave school because of that? I bet you had classmates that were great and some that were garbage and everything in-between. Would you leave this message board because some posters suck?

Church isn't a social club that should be judged by its worst members.

Most of my personal friends are Jewish.

Lastly, I suppose it comes down to what one believes is the purpose of life. To me, the only purpose of life is to attain the Beatific Vision after death.

That's it.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael

There are tons of miracles that science can't explain.

Lourdes has dozens.

All due respect but do you even know what the Immaculate conception is? It doesn't mean the virgin birth, it means Mary was born without original sin. It's confusing, I know. :)

It doesn't make sense to me why anyone would leave church because some of the members are hypocrites or bad people. Would you leave school because of that? I bet you had classmates that were great and some that were garbage and everything in-between. Would you leave this message board because some posters suck?

Church isn't a social club that should be judged by its worst members.

Most of my personal friends are Jewish.

Lastly, I suppose it comes down to what one believes is the purpose of life. To me, the only purpose of life is to attain the Beatific Vision after death.

That's it

A Pope made this arbitrary decision. I rest my case on this issue, which is part of my argument. You think the Bible is divine. It's a freaking book.

The topic of the thread is attendance, and I provided (some of) my opinions on why it's losing members. You can ramble on with visions and beauties, but churches are losing members.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

A Pope made this arbitrary decision. I rest my case on this issue, which is part of my argument. You think the Bible is divine. It's a freaking book.

The topic of the thread is attendance, and I provided (some of) my opinions on why it's losing members. You can ramble on with visions and beauties, but churches are losing members.

You are free to have your own beliefs.

Church attendance is way down. Very true.

Is America improving??

Obviously not.

Last edited:
Ideology has taken hold of both religious Liberals and Conservatives. Liberals have their weird virtue signaling and cancel culture. Conservatives have their weird oppressive laws against marginalized groups.

Both sides are seeking gratification through inappropriate actions. Their "lizard brains" have been fully hijacked.

If you are a normie, you're stuck living in a world with both if these groups.
Only when virtue signaling (think Dobbs) and cancel culture start supporting neo Nazis it will be time to compare the two.

Unbelievable.

Only when virtue signaling (think Dobbs) and cancel culture start supporting neo Nazis it will be time to compare the two.

Unbelievable.
A sh*t sandwich and a nuclear waste sandwich are both disgusting sandwiches. I'm smart enough to know which one is worse. I make my own moral compromises where I need to, but at the same time I don't chide others who choose neither of them.

A sh*t sandwich and a nuclear waste sandwich are both disgusting sandwiches. I'm smart enough to know which one is worse. I make my own moral compromises where I need to, but at the same time I don't chide others who choose neither of them.
Omg.

You can ramble on with visions and beauties, but churches are losing members.
You need to think bigger. Christ is focused on the entire globe, not just the US. Christianity globally is growing, projected 2.9 billion by 2050. Some of the fastest growth today is in the underground churches in Iran and China (often led by women).

You need to think bigger. Christ is focused on the entire globe, not just the US. Christianity globally is growing, projected 2.9 billion by 2050. Some of the fastest growth today is in the underground churches in Iran and China (often led by women).

Great point.

Church attendance is crumbling in America (which is also crumbling as a nation) but rising in other countries.

There was no virgin birth.

That is exactly like the Greeks. Zeus was always knocking up mortal women.

At some point Christianity needs to transform itself more to a way of living, less focused on mythology. You don't need organization for that.

Not that I know of.

In western philosophy, the atheist philosophers like Nietszche, Sartre and Schopenhauer basically worshipped themselves.
It’s cute when people take what their “faith” leaders tell them about authors like Schopenhauer that they’ve clearly never read themselves. The true self worship comes from the cult of pedophiles and narcissists that is the American evangelical churches of the last half century.

Grew up Catholic so missing mass as a youth was not an option. As an adult … attending church occasionally … When I moved to DSM - I attended a service a few times and my opinion changed … behemoth churches with church bands and video screens and seeking half my salary. A far cry from the church I grew up with.

I have some religious beliefs and I hold tight those beliefs - church and church rock bands and video screens - where it seems many are there just to portray the perfect family - are in my rear-view mirror.

Last edited:
Ultimately, your Christian faith is a relationship between
you and the Lord. If a certain church does not help to
strengthen your faith, then you should look for another
parish. @ Rustys Dad is correct, Rock Bands and Video
Screens are not helpful for some people.

It’s cute when people take what their “faith” leaders tell them about authors like Schopenhauer that they’ve clearly never read themselves. The true self worship comes from the cult of pedophiles and narcissists that is the American evangelical churches of the last half century.

I was an atheist for many years, as I posted.

I read about Schopenhauer for years. He was a mean and selfish person. I've never talked to any clergy about him.

Here's a favorite:

Reactions: hawkdave007
I look at denominations like the Unitarians or liberal Christians like UCC and wonder how those keep going at all. Once you cross the "I dont believe in the miracles" bridge I am not sure how you stay in the organized game. I went to a UCC church for a time and its filled with people going to church and professing something they dont really believe for the most part. I flirted with the Unitarians and they are nice people and many of them are in in for specific causes like the environment. Ultimately, one can read, study and meditate and find their own path.

There are no stakes involved with UCC. They believe everyone is saved.

I think every rational person would agree that if there is a permanent Heaven or Hell awaiting us after death, then the stakes are immense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT