ADVERTISEMENT

The cluster that is the Big Ten...

You said long term. If long term isn’t 10-20 years, then what, exactly, is long term to you?
I said: "We won't know what the long term outlook for COVID patients is until we get there, I agree. But we do know what some patients, many who weren't hospitalized, are experiencing in the 3-6 month range after they were infected. Too soon to tell if those conditions will be long term. "

What we do know is that some people still aren't back to normal 3-6 months later.

You are incorrect. I'm a be cautious and when in doubt land on the side of player safety. Too much unknown this fall. Big Ten made the right call.
This is the dumbest argument of them all. "Player Safety". Bullshit. They are so much safer going to classes and parties, than being tested frequently, and basically in their own bubble during football season. Seems reasonable to me. The Big 10 made a politically driven, terrible decision.

This is the dumbest argument of them all. "Player Safety". Bullshit. They are so much safer going to classes and parties, than being tested frequently, and basically in their own bubble during football season. Seems reasonable to me. The Big 10 made a politically driven, terrible decision.
You think the Big Ten collectively agreed to forgo hundreds of millions in revenue this fall as a political point?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Athletes are still being tested frequently. UI Athletics puts out an update weekly.

I said: "We won't know what the long term outlook for COVID patients is until we get there, I agree. But we do know what some patients, many who weren't hospitalized, are experiencing in the 3-6 month range after they were infected. Too soon to tell if those conditions will be long term. "

What we do know is that some people still aren't back to normal 3-6 months later.
You are all over the map, here.

Just how long do you think sports should be shut down?

It is too soon to tell if that statement is correct. We need to recognize and respect what we don't know yet.

So what do you suggest as how we proceed? We don't know the future, so it's too unsafe for any normal activities? How is that a plan? It's not. These are actual persons' lives that are being impacted. Tens of millions of people unemployed. High school seniors are only high school seniors once in their lives. So too bad, you get to spend an entire year virtual learning, and no graduation, no sports, just because "we don't know the long-term effects." Many people are saying "no thank you" to that approach.

It's okay for people to make policy decisions based on what we do know, on data and acceptance for level of risk. Even when we can't predict the future with exact certainty. We do it as a society all the time. It's why there was support in raising the speed limit from 55 to 65 on certain highways and 70 or more on some others. But myself and many others, who have been exceedingly patient and cautious for going on 6 months now, are at the point where we have decided that we are at far greater risk and damage from closing down important portions of society vs letting people have the freedoms outlined in the Constitution and make decisions for themselves about how to best live their lives.

It's fact that if you are not in a nursing home, you have about a 99.93% change of survival if you get COVID. And if you are 50 or under and healthy, then even less risk than that. So yeah, to me that is enough certainty to let people live their lives.

So what do you suggest as how we proceed? We don't know the future, so it's too unsafe for any normal activities? How is that a plan? It's not. These are actual persons' lives that are being impacted. Tens of millions of people unemployed. High school seniors are only high school seniors once in their lives. So too bad, you get to spend an entire year virtual learning, and no graduation, no sports, just because "we don't know the long-term effects." Many people are saying "no thank you" to that approach.

It's okay for people to make policy decisions based on what we do know, on data and acceptance for level of risk. Even when we can't predict the future with exact certainty. We do it as a society all the time. It's why there was support in raising the speed limit from 55 to 65 on certain highways and 70 or more on some others. But myself and many others, who have been exceedingly patient and cautious for going on 6 months now, are at the point where we have decided that we are at far greater risk and damage from closing down important portions of society vs letting people have the freedoms outlined in the Constitution and make decisions for themselves about how to best live their lives.

It's fact that if you are not in a nursing home, you have about a 99.93% change of survival if you get COVID. And if you are 50 or under and healthy, then even less risk than that. So yeah, to me that is enough certainty to let people live their lives.
I haven't ventured into any the generalities you've brought up. What I'm saying there's enough uncertainty for football, a violent contact sport, to be postponed this fall.

Now personally i will continue to avoid bars and restaurants, but I'm not advocating you do the same. You make your own choices.

I don't know which is the best anyone should be able to say right now. What I can say is there's enough uncertainty that I agree with the B1G decision to delay the season.

The problem is.... No one has come up with a threshold of "when it's safe". The B1G has some arbitrary threshold of "safe to play" and we'll MAYBE play in the "spring".

Meanwhile other major conference teams that often in the same states as the B1G are proceeding.

I don't know which is the best anyone should be able to say right now. What I can say is there's enough uncertainty that I agree with the B1G decision to delay the season.

Just curious - given the uncertainties, what exactly are we preventing by not playing that would occur if they did play? They're still getting a bunch of aerobic activity regardless. They're still getting exposed to outside sources of covid regardless. They're getting tested regularly and contact tracing and quarantine is occurring if positive regardless.

Do we really think the exposure to other teams (who are also following a vigorous prevention and detection regimen) during a game is that much more significant? If so, why are we allowing high school kids to play?

Just curious - given the uncertainties, what exactly are we preventing by not playing that would occur if they did play? They're still getting a bunch of aerobic activity regardless. They're still getting exposed to outside sources of covid regardless. They're getting tested regularly and contact tracing and quarantine is occurring if positive regardless.

Do we really think the exposure to other teams (who are also following a vigorous prevention and detection regimen) during a game is that much more significant? If so, why are we allowing high school kids to play?

I don't think high schoolers should be playing either.

Working out alone is different than practicing with teammates which is different than contact practices which is different than full games. Each level you increase the risk of transmission through teams and increase the risk to the player if they have or have had Covid.

Working out alone is different than practicing with teammates which is different than contact practices which is different than full games. Each level you increase the risk of transmission through teams and increase the risk to the player if they have or have had Covid.

I would agree that there is a slightly increased risk of infection, but with the testing and tracing they're doing it is marginal at best. As far as risk to the player if they have or have had covid, I disagree. If they're practicing, they're stressing their bodies the same as playing. Maybe not with respect to hitting, but in every other way they're working as hard or harder in practice and lifting than they are in a game.

Very well said. That's all.

I would agree that there is a slightly increased risk of infection, but with the testing and tracing they're doing it is marginal at best. As far as risk to the player if they have or have had covid, I disagree. If they're practicing, they're stressing their bodies the same as playing. Maybe not with respect to hitting, but in every other way they're working as hard or harder in practice and lifting than they are in a game.
The contact part of football is what makes football unique . It's what keeps players with other diseases (mono) from returning even when they feel better.

Studies are showing, and experts are more and more agreeing, that it is ok to play.

Please justify how it is ok for HS and college students to attend class, but not ok to play football.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I'm not. I have seen no studies that say it is "ok" to play football this fall. Where are you seeing that?

Holy cow. Do you need a study to tell you it's okay to go outside?

How about we start from the presumption that all normal activities are okay, and it's the job of those in power to prove that we need to take liberties away? This is like proving a negative.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
Holy cow. Do you need a study to tell you it's okay to go outside?

How about we start from the presumption that all normal activities are okay, and it's the job of those in power to prove that we need to take liberties away? This is like proving a negative.
Did you read his statement? He said "Studies are showing, and experts are more and more agreeing, that it is ok to play."

You're in such a rush to prove how unafraid you are you start going in circles.

I'm not. I have seen no studies that say it is "ok" to play football this fall. Where are you seeing that?
Just check out the mortality rate for high school and college age kids. Should be an easy google for you. Also, if it is ok for them to attend class, then explain how it is not ok to play football. High schools across the country are playing with no problem. The NFL is playing, as is MLB and the NBA. With the new testing procedures, and the extremely low positive results that are showing, there are no legitimate reasons not to play.

We get it......you are scared. But your fear should not dictate what others can or can’t do.

Just check out the mortality rate for high school and college age kids. Should be an easy google for you. Also, if it is ok for them to attend class, then explain how it is not ok to play football. High schools across the country are playing with no problem. The NFL is playing, as is MLB and the NBA. With the new testing procedures, and the extremely low positive results that are showing, there are no legitimate reasons not to play.

We get it......you are scared. But your fear should not dictate what others can or can’t do.
So, no study.

My "fear" isn't dictating anything. The B1G made their decision without asking me if you can believe it. I just agree with it.

I've made no comments on whether attending class is "safe" but certainly you can agree that sitting in a classroom is not the same as tackle football.

Nothing to see here ......................................

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet">
NEW: .
@KFIAM640 has obtained an audio recording of LA County Public Health Director Dr. Ferrer repeatedly saying in a conference call that she doesnt expect K-12 schools to reopen until "we are done with the election" in November. Listen to audio here: https://t.co/a9VdJS0t6n
&mdash; Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) September 10, 2020
LOL why would she say it if there was some grand conspiracy. Lunacy.

Here is one.

There are others showing the mortality rate. Do your research.
I've seen this passed around as gospel truth and I don't know why besides confirmation bias. That's not a study, that's one guy (an odd one at that) claiming to compile information that isn't publicly available. At least ISU and UI are not releasing any specific hospitalized numbers so how on earth can he claim there are "0". Lack of data does not mean 0.

I've seen this passed around as gospel truth and I don't know why besides confirmation bias. That's not a study, that's one guy (an odd one at that) claiming to compile information that isn't publicly available. At least ISU and UI are not releasing any specific hospitalized numbers so how on earth can he claim there are "0". Lack of data does not mean 0.
Here are actual deaths as reported by the CDC (although I’m sure you will dismiss it because it doesn’t fit your narrative. Notice that only 315 of the 19,998 total deaths for ages 15-25 were due to Covid.

Case closed.

Here are actual deaths as reported by the CDC (although I’m sure you will dismiss it because it doesn’t fit your narrative. Notice that only 315 of the 19,998 total deaths for ages 15-25 were due to Covid.

Case closed.
You haven't countered my argument at all. Reading comprehension is not a strength of yours

So a virus that is less harmful than the flu for the players is a good science based reason to not play in the Fall?
Delaying to January makes sense why? You going to have long term affects scientifically proven by then? What exactly will you accomplish by doing this?? Well I guess we will all be indoors where the virus spreads easier. Oh and hospitals will have more stress due to flu season makes a lot of sense. And we can ask our student athletes to compete 2 seasons in 1 calendar year. Player safety, right?
You’re just an idiot B1G cheerleader that thinks the B1G is making a rational decision. And scream SCIENCE with no real rhyme or reason.
Exactly, the BIG 10 is going to try and start practice and playing at the height of virus season, when everyone is inside in heated air. The safest place to be is outside, in the Sun, in cold air. We make the surgery rooms at UIHC as cold as people can take, it keeps the spread of germs down.

You haven't countered my argument at all. Reading comprehension is not a strength of yours
Sure I have. I’ve shown there is very little Covid mortality for HS/college age kids. So....almost no Covid danger from playing football. Play ball!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT