ADVERTISEMENT

The cynical and optimistic approach to Deacon Hill hitting the portal…

RagnarLothbrok

HR Heisman
Apr 4, 2023
The Budster brought Hill on board and Kirk co-signed that bullshit. That’s obviously the negative side of things.

So, what’s the takeaway here? Is Tim Lester actually in charge of the Iowa offense? If reports are true that Kirk is working with the OL, is this now really a competent OC’s show? Can we safely assume after spring ball Lester told Kirk that Deacon has to go then had a heart to heart with Deacon and told him to hit the road?

The cynical side is obviously, again, how ****ing clueless is Kirk when it comes to quarterbacks and offense? Seriously.

The optimistic side is it seems we finally have a competent OC committed to changing shit that needs changed. Hopefully, the Budster will be on the chopping block next and a real receiver coach gets brought in.

I’m really warming up to Tim Lester.

He might have just said something along the lines of "we are bringing in another QB or 2 and it is extremely unlikely you will get to see the field again". I don't know if they could or would pull a scholarship from him (that's not a very Iowa thing to do) but he got the message. Honestly, Deacon would be deluding himself if he thought his play was satisfactory. He is certainly more of a FCS QB.

The Budster brought Hill on board and Kirk co-signed that bullshit. That’s obviously the negative side of things.

So, what’s the takeaway here? Is Tim Lester actually in charge of the Iowa offense? If reports are true that Kirk is working with the OL, is this now really a competent OC’s show? Can we safely assume after spring ball Lester told Kirk that Deacon has to go then had a heart to heart with Deacon and told him to hit the road?

The cynical side is obviously, again, how ****ing clueless is Kirk when it comes to quarterbacks and offense? Seriously.

The optimistic side is it seems we finally have a competent OC committed to changing shit that needs changed. Hopefully, the Budster will be on the chopping block next and a real receiver coach gets brought in.

That's not cynical. It's dead on balls accurate.

He promoted Petras for 3 years.

Worse than anyone wants to believe.

If you are just now coming to this epiphany, you have not been following Iowa football very long

Well let’s keep in mind we had plenty of posters pissed off at the Lester hire, by that same Kirk….

So I think there is plenty of “wrong” to go around. You were likely one of them & we know Ragnar was🤷‍♂️

Some fans will say stuff like,

“He has been coaching for 45 years! how can he NOT know QBs?” (false logic)

“Well we had some good QB play before!” (KF didnt want to play those guys)

“He’s won lots of games!” (Correlation is not causation)

Conclusion, some Iowa fans are just plain dumb. Sorry but needs to be said.

Last edited:
I, for one, am SHOCKED that a guy who was an excellent FBS QB and has been coaching QB's and offenses on the FBS level for 20 years immediately recognized that Deacon Hill had no business on the Iowa roster. :cool:

Joking aside, I share the optimism that early indications seem to show that Lester has been given some autonomy and might actually be in charge of all things offense, which is very promising. I'm really hoping that this is a sign that the black hole known as Iowa's offense the past 3 seasons might be a thing of the past.

He might have just said something along the lines of "we are bringing in another QB or 2 and it is extremely unlikely you will get to see the field again". I don't know if they could or would pull a scholarship from him (that's not a very Iowa thing to do) but he got the message. Honestly, Deacon would be deluding himself if he thought his play was satisfactory. He is certainly more of a FCS QB.
This is BIG boy FB. They are being paid besides free education and food ,boarding. If an athlete cannot contribute, then they need to cut bait. There is no loyalty either way. They absolutely need to bring in a QB that can compete for the job. I doubt they can bring in anyone of Cade's reputation. But hopefully someone that comes from the style that Lester wants to run and can take the ball and run with it.

Well let’s keep in mind we had plenty of posters pissed off at the Lester hire, by that same Kirk….

So I think there is plenty of “wrong” to go around. You were likely one of them & we know Ragnar was🤷‍♂️
I was initially disappointed, but changed my view to wait and see. I’m liking what I am seeing so far.

Budster I haven’t budged an inch on.

This is BIG boy FB. They are being paid besides free education and food ,boarding. If an athlete cannot contribute, then they need to cut bait. There is no loyalty either way. They absolutely need to bring in a QB that can compete for the job. I doubt they can bring in anyone of Cade's reputation. But hopefully someone that comes from the style that Lester wants to run and can take the ball and run with it.
You won't get an argument from me on this and with the opening of the NIL floodgates it's even more true. It just isn't how Iowa has operated in the past.

I was not but that means nothing. Lester may be great, may not, we know what KF is, a blessing and a curse

I think the truth is likely in the middle. Everyone knows Deacon isn't an option and you don't want to tank a first year coach with a backup so far out of whack.

So yes, he is getting his say a little bit, but, Kirk IA also protecting himself.

Some…..I’ve come to the conclusion, we have some of the dumbest, nastiest, most unappreciative fans of a winning football program in history…

Fvck if nothing else people should be happy as hell that the cosmos has allowed us to win so many football games with what is apparently the worst head coach in division one lol

This board is a petri dish for the human stain.

This is the 6th QB to transfer out over the last couple of seasons.

Just horrible evaluation and horrible management/development once they’re here
Iowa has certainly been a black hole for QB's since Stanley. The entire fan base is holding their collective breaths that having an OC/QB who actually knows how to coach offense and has a history of success as a QB and QB coach might bring an end to that horrific era.

Some…..I’ve come to the conclusion, we have some of the dumbest, nastiest, most unappreciative fans of a winning football program in history…

Fvck if nothing else people should be happy as hell that the cosmos has allowed us to win so many football games with what is apparently the worst head coach in division one lol

Jesus.

Get a life and get over yourself.

Me thinks Lester told Deacon he was moving Lainez ahead of him. Deacon was not what Lester had in mind at qb. Lester wants an efficient mobile qb. Deacon checked none of those boxes.
As someone said earlier Budmayr should be the next to go.

People were pissed not to land Chryst or the OC from Duke who supposedly wanted the job. I think the more people got to know Lester, the more they liked him. I'm one of them.

People were pissed not to land Chryst or the OC from Duke who supposedly wanted the job. I think the more people got to know Lester, the more they liked him. I'm one of them.

Agreed….sadly we have a lot of pissed off folks in here

Imagine if you will if Iowa was in the East division. Do you think there would have been 10 win seasons playing OSU,PSU,Mich every year? KF was fortunate to be in the West and fatten up on it. If Iowa had an average offense to go with this defense,they could have competed for BIG championships and perhaps won. He was blind to BF incompetence and only made things worst making BF QB coach of all things. No more West to fatten up on. He squandered opportunities to play in the Final 4 because of his son at the cost of the team and fans. Hopefully Lester and the offense can be complimentary.

Have you considered that your opinions and views are the incorrect ones? Maybe? Just once? Or perhaps opposing positions on a topic isn't indicative of the person being less than you?

<<Conclusion: some Iowa fans are just plain dumb. Sorry but needs to be said>>

A valid self-assessment from a self-aware Iowa fan. I respect that.

Imagine if you will if Iowa was in the East division. Do you think there would have been 10 win seasons playing OSU,PSU,Mich every year? KF was fortunate to be in the West and fatten up on it. If Iowa had an average offense to go with this defense,they could have competed for BIG championships and perhaps won. He was blind to BF incompetence and only made things worst making BF QB coach of all things. No more West to fatten up on. He squandered opportunities to play in the Final 4 because of his son at the cost of the team and fans. Hopefully Lester and the offense can be complimentary.

So what your saying is this….. we can’t count our current record because the schedule didn’t live up to your standards?

I’m assuming you’re also saying that we should revisit everyone’s schedule and see if it was “good enough” for the bitchy Iowa fan board?

I’m extrapolating a little bit here, but I’m also going to assume that any kid that actually believes KF’s bullshit and continues to sign on we would have to naturally assume is dumb right…?

And since hypothesizing, we are also going to need to assume that all the people that have said glowing things about Kirk F and the Iowa culture are either liars and complicit in his failings or literally the dumbest human beings alive?

Here’s where the rubber hits the highway…

This Kirk Ferentz, the sneaky, lowlife who used nepotism to keep his son employed and who is so stupid and so out of touch, it’s shocking he even coaches at all, but he has somehow won a lot of games.

This dumb ass coach somehow has been able to trick 100+ football players a year or rather most of them into thinking they have a hell of a program and they have a great culture and he is a trustable coach….

I mean, honestly, can you imagine how ****ing stupid some of these kids must be?

Not to mention, Phil Parker, and these other coaches I mean how damn gullible Can they be to stick with this idiot….

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Boy that was fun….. I forgot I do enjoy pointing out extreme gaps in linear logic.

We can’t possibly have a good culture and a good program with a lying, sneaky, stupid, completely out of touch Coach….

It’s pretty much impossible 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dude I honestly feel you don't read and are just ready to argue every time you log on.
Everyone and I mean everyone appreciates and enjoys winning football games but we can all see what they really are, at the same time we see how close the program is to hitting another level. That is everyones frustrations, not wins but becoming a perennial top 12 program.

What we are saying about the West is true.
If a quadriplegic across the street challenged you to a fight and you ran over and kicked ass I'd agree that you technically won the fight but you'd also have to agree with me that your win is pretty hollow and unimpressive right?

Damn dude, I usually agree with you on stuff but it’s just sports lol it’s not that serious

Have you considered that your opinions and views are the incorrect ones? Maybe? Just once? Or perhaps opposing positions on a topic isn't indicative of the person being less than you?

Let’s look at this….what actually is my opinion. I’ll beat you dollars to donuts you have no clue.

If you think I believe we have the best coach ever, and we have performed at our highest level then……

No, I think I’m just gonna wait to see what you say….

See another problem with this message board is, and it’s extremely funny when you think about it because I get accused of this all the time… But they read a snapshot and they immediately decide that you are just “this”

And I have plenty of people on here that are my detractors that have seen me say probably 500 times Brian needs to go, our offense blows, and Kirk needs to let the offense be the offense….

So the floor is yours what exactly is my “wrong opinion”?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT