ADVERTISEMENT

The Fran Fade

The problem is we don't have Keegan or JBo - a couple of guys with some stones. It will be an early exit in the BTT and NCAA tourney I'm afraid.

Yes, the Fran Fade has been disproven a long time ago. Fran’s teams are just wildly inconsistent.
They're actually very consistent. They've won every game at home and lost all but one game on the road. It's got nothing to do with February. It's looked exactly like January. Good home team. Shitty road team. Nothing more than that.

January 5-0 at home 1-3 away
February 2-0 at home 1-3 away

Last edited:
C''mon, man. Anyone who has followed this team since Fran's been in charge doesn't need Miss Cleo to know his teams will fade at the end of the regular season. The fade is real. MSU and Indiana will roll them, and Nebraska will come into Carver and run through/over Fran's "defense" like a hot knife through butter.
Have you actually watched past seasons? Sure some years this has occurred, and some just the opposite. Surely you remember that fade of last year when when they went 8-2 in the back half of the Big Ten, then went 4-0 in the conf tournament. Or is it other fades your thinking of

Just so everyone is keeping track, here is Iowa's month of February:

4-3 record (3-0 at home)
Two of our losses were on the road against the two best teams in the conference .
We beat two NCAA tournament teams.

Now I'm not saying we should throw a tickertape parade. Despite the exciting win, our defense was horrendous. And we should also expect to get absolutely walloped at Indiana.

But this can hardly be considered a "fade" compared to where we were throughout the rest of the season. The team has glaring flaws, and they are the same flaws we've had the whole season. But the team is fighting, and thats what is important.

So many fans with rose colored glasses. We just got dominated by MSU. Good thing is i have been makong good money betting against this team.
giphy.gif

Against Michigan State, we're about to see good coaching (Izzo) vs mediocre coaching (Fran), and how much of a gap can be established between two teams in a relatively short amount of time.
Yep another brilliant statement. Maybe you should get a job writing for The Ames Times or the Omaha World Herald...Glad you're as bad at predicting about this stuff as I'm at Vegas betting...BRILLIANT
Oh, by the way how did Izzo coach in the last 3 min. of the ball game?

One in a million comeback. 99.6% chance MSU was going to win that game when it was 93 to 91. I posted out of anger and frustration and this team won in spite of Fran.
So you're also blaming Fran but not that stupid coach from MSU?

We don’t play defense, hence it’s incredibly difficult to win consistently in March when you don’t do that.

The fade is still coming. I think most are referring to Fran being inept in the big dance. Amazing comeback by his team but Fran is an embarrassment to Iowa athletics.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and HawkOn15
His February record over the last 4 seasons is incredible. Just another shot at Fran i guess. Make something up and call it a fact.

Well you can't cite February record and forget about March. Fran's teams had consistently fizzed out in BTT his first 12 years until they broke out and won BTT last year. I think those wins brough his overall BTT record up to 0.500.

The basis of the Fran Fade was as one of the tweets above said---three of his best teams in past ended up going from competing for Big10 regular season title in 1st half of Big10 to long losing streaks to close the season...I would agree over past 5 years or so that narrative hasn't been true for big10 regular season. The ncaa tourney is of course the end of the season---last year's loss to a nobody was certainly a 1 game fade.

We've got a moderately successful coach in Fran with high basement but low ceiling because they don't play defense.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Well you can't cite February record and forget about March. Fran's teams had consistently fizzed out in BTT his first 12 years until they broke out and won BTT last year. I think those wins brough his overall BTT record up to 0.500.

The basis of the Fran Fade was as one of the tweets above said---three of his best teams in past ended up going from competing for Big10 regular season title in 1st half of Big10 to long losing streaks to close the season...I would agree over past 5 years or so that narrative hasn't been true for big10 regular season. The ncaa tourney is of course the end of the season---last year's loss to a nobody was certainly a 1 game fade.

We've got a moderately successful coach in Fran with high basement but low ceiling because they don't play defense.
Yea. I think this is mostly correct. Iowa for the past ten years has been an average to slightly above big ten team. Until they start recruiting guards (besides perkins) and start playing defense, going to be tough in March.

Let's hope Murray gets his mojo back and they play to potential to change the tournament narrative. If we can become a good February team and finally break through in the big tourny then lets root for a little magic in March.

Let's hope Murray gets his mojo back and they play to potential to change the tournament narrative. If we can become a good February team and finally break through in the big tourny then lets root for a little magic in March.
This team is really predictable this year. Good offense at home. Bad offense on the road. Bad defense everywhere. That doesn't inspire a lot of tournament confidence. Just enjoy whatever wins are left and be realistic about the potential.

This team is really predictable this year. Good offense at home. Bad offense on the road. Bad defense everywhere. That doesn't inspire a lot of tournament confidence. Just enjoy whatever wins are left and be realistic about the potential.
They can make a run. They are capable, just not consistent. And as far as the tournament goes that is just hoping at this point.

So which is it? A February fade or a March fade? I can buy March but the reason the team can't win games in March is as you said. They don't play defense and the offense struggles on the road which doesn't work against decent teams. It's not really a fade. It's just a function of Iowa basketball under Fran.

Reactions: Ree4 and Mohawkeye
They can make a run. They are capable, just not consistent. And as far as the tournament goes that is just hoping at this point.
I suppose. On the road the team is 2-7 in the B1G, and most likely 2-8 heading into the tournament. Their only road wins were against Rutgers 2 months ago and a historically bad Minnesota team. They've been beaten handily by Nebraska, OSU, and Wisconsin, along with Penn St which have the worst records in the B1G outside of the aforementioned Minny team. This is simply a bad team on the road so no, they are not inconsistent. They are consistently bad on the road making a run a very unlikely proposition.

One team has to win and lose every game. I skipped the thread, but the OP just doesn't like Fran, so he wants to toss crap out, whether it is accurate or not. We seem to have a lot of similar Iowa "fans", who want Fran gone, and somehow think his replacement will be better. That could go either way. Maybe switching your allegiance to a blue blood program would make you a little happier?

Iowa has been pretty good under Fran for most of the past decade. Certainly, we have seen some exciting BB. My knock on Fran is that the Hawks have failed to deliver on any kind of run in the dance. At least we were great in the BTT last year, for the first time in a long time. Several Iowa teams, especially last year, were good enough to make it to the second week...

Not blaming Fran he loves his kids and gives his all. Not crediting him either. Miracle shooting and poor MSU execution won this game.

Guess I would argue most of that “miracle shooting” came off good offensive execution, not luck. Crazy how you can’t credit Fran when things go well.

As for poor execution by Sparty? They went 5/6 from the line the last 30 seconds I believe and only had a turnover in the final minute. It’s not like they collapsed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT