ADVERTISEMENT

The hot 2nd half Creighton start

Had Creighton not gone nearly perfect for the 1st 6-8 minutes of the 2nd half, it would have been a different result.

We actually outscored them in the 2nd half.

On their floor.

With our leading scorer limited to 18 minutes.

Impressive early effort.
That start to the second half was the only time that it was clear that at this point at least, we don’t have that “guy” who will take the team on his back.

also just give credit to Creighton, they clearly elevated their game to start the second half…and they weren’t playing poorly before.

Had Creighton not gone nearly perfect for the 1st 6-8 minutes of the 2nd half, it would have been a different result.

On their floor.

Impressive early effort.
It was tied at half and they won
Confused Threes Company GIF by MOODMAN

That start to the second half was the only time that it was clear that at this point at least, we don’t have that “guy” who will take the team on his back.

also just give credit to Creighton, they clearly elevated their game to start the second half…and they weren’t playing poorly before.

I agree we don'thave a star at guard spot that controls the game. Creighton does.

However, when opponent is shooting like that, you need a defensive answer and also need to slow things downs so you don't let their lead balloon. When you give up 92 points in regulation, I would venture you are going to lose most of the time.

Good points here. Impressive team effort last night. Thay second half burst though is a perfect example what pure talent can bring at any moment vs being the team that has to play the perfect game, hope a few calls go your way, etc. Sort of like how teams might hang around with Ohio State in football for a half, until the talent takes over.

I agree we don'thave a star at guard spot that controls the game. Creighton does.

However, when opponent is shooting like that, you need a defensive answer and also need to slow things downs so you don't let their lead balloon. When you give up 92 points in regulation, I would venture you are going to lose most of the time.

Agreed, and hopefully that’s a lesson they take from this game.

It felt like they did eventually have that answer, but it took too long, perhaps they got a little comfy after a good first half that they failed to anticipate creighton amping it up after halftime.

It’s ironic that we have the opposite problem from football, where we just need a decent defense to succeed.

I missed the game. Was Payton in during that stretch?

But, all the minutes of the game count. Right?

It was a good effort from the Hawks. creighton is the better team as reflected by the score.
Hawks O was good. D wasn't. Now, the D wasn't as terrible as it's been in the past. But it remains well below average.
They have a shot to be a tourney team and I like their chances more after that effort. They'll be in the mix in the middle of the B1G for one of the bids. Interesting to see what the Hawks look like in upcoming matchups vs non-cupcakes.

On their floor.

Impressive early effort.
The halftime score was 43-all, and Creighton won 92-84 ... but, somehow, Iowa outscored them in the 2nd half??

wait-a-minute-that.gif

On their floor.

Impressive early effort.
Okay, lets review what you just said. The game was tied at 43 all at the half, and we lost by 8 points correct? So HOW did we "outscore them in the second half? Color me confused here.....

Not sure why Tony can't come out playing aggressively, especially when he is matched up against a top player. It is like he needs to get embarrassed or get clearly outplayed, before his competitive side shows up. When he really starts to play, he is very good, but we need to have that happen a lot sooner.

This play typifies the defensive struggles of Fran teams since the beginning of Frandom. Here we have a simple screen action way outside the perimeter, and instead of just immediately switching and backpedaling to keep both blue jay players in front of us, Krikke switches and presses up too far while Tony tries to fight through the screen (which is impossible against a guard that fast). Both Iowa players end up BEHIND the entire Creighton team near midcourt and they get a shot that has a 100% chance of going in. Shoutout to #4 Josh Dix for also not picking up the dunker when he had the chance.

Here's another one where Iowa players don't switch off screens. Mass confusion ensues and they get their choice of either an open 3 or an easy dunk. They hit the 3.

I'm telling you... someone needs to convince Fran that switching is always better than trying to fight through. The idea of switching creating "mismatches" is overblown. I'll take the percentages of a mismatch over dudes being completely open for 3s and dunks.

Here's another mistake on defense leading to an easy shot. As soon as PMac shoots this shot, he should be drifting towards the other side of the court. Instead, he stares down his miss for too long and then is slow to get back on D. Sandfort finds himself guarding two guys and having to take away the layup, so his guy gets a transition 3.

Last edited:
This play typifies the defensive struggles of Fran teams since the beginning of Frandom. Here we have a simple screen action way outside the perimeter, and instead of just immediately switching and backpedaling to keep both blue jay players in front of us, Krikke switches and presses up too far while Tony tries to fight through the screen (which is impossible against a guard that fast). Both Iowa players end up BEHIND the entire Creighton team near midcourt and they get a shot that has a 100% chance of going in. Shoutout to #4 Josh Dix for also not picking up the dunker when he had the chance.

Here's another one where Iowa players don't switch off screens. Mass confusion ensues and they get their choice of either an open 3 or an easy dunk. They hit the 3.

I'm telling you... someone needs to convince Fran that switching is always better than trying to fight through. The idea of switching creating "mismatches" is overblown. I'll take the percentages of a mismatch over dudes being completely open for 3s and dunks.

Here's another mistake on defense leading to an easy shot. As soon as PMac shoots this shot, he should be drifting towards the other side of the court. Instead, he stares down his miss for too long and then is slow to get back on D. Sandfort finds himself guarding two guys and having to take away the layup, so his guy gets a transition 3.

Nice job,I really like your breakdowns.

Reactions: amahawk and littlez
Was he close to a triple double at any point in time? Allegedly Creighton has never had a points, assist, rebound triple double before...... not sure if anyone had heard that.....
Really? Sure he missed the first triple double by 1 assist, and he was at that point for most of the last 5 minutes. They went cold, and most all of their scoring was from the free throw line, so yes he was right there for a chunk of the second half.

The details and techniques of how to defend screens are always off with Fran teams.

It's pretty obvious they just don't spend much if any time on it.

Reactions: Andrew Houk
I think its a combination of Fran not putting an emphasis that's needed on defense as well as the players knowing that if they pick up 2 fouls in the first half, they're done until after halftime.

Why try to stop someone defensively if it might result in missing a great deal of the opening half because the coach is terrified of his player picking up a 3rd foul before halftime?

We knew Fran was going to try and run as well. I knew Alexander was good but I didn’t realize how good. Fun game. They’re the 8th ranked team in the country in a place to play as tough or tougher than anywhere in the Big Ten.
It's not even close to being the toughest place to play in the B1G.

Creighton should enjoy the poll rating as long as they can, they're not a Top 10 team from what I observed last night. Struggling against a middle of the pack B1G team is not what Final Four Teams are made of.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Here's some more bad defense off a screen. Their guy King sets a moving screen (almost never called), and Pryce tries to fight over the top of it, which is impossible and puts you BEHIND the opponent. We need to SWITCH and STAY IN FRONT of guys, not stumble into the half court logo while the screener rolls to easy dunks. How do you plan to contest or rebound when you are voluntarily running behind the other team?

whyfran.png

Reactions: sm_hawkeye
Really? Sure he missed the first triple double by 1 assist, and he was at that point for most of the last 5 minutes. They went cold, and most all of their scoring was from the free throw line, so yes he was right there for a chunk of the second half.
I need to work on my sarcasm

Creighton should enjoy the poll rating as long as they can, they're not a Top 10 team from what I observed last night. Struggling against a middle of the pack B1G team is not what Final Four Teams are made of.
You’re absolutely killing me. They were a point away from the Final 4 last year. 1 point. They pack 18K in that arena every single night. Even on a Tuesday. Purdue is a great environment, IU (when they’re good) is tough, Sparty obviously. Name me another arena in the Big Ten that has even close to that environment Uncle Rico.

Top 10 teams by average attendance. Syracuse 20,017, Kentucky 19,338, Arkansas 19,022, North Carolina 18536, Tennessee 18,202, Creighton 16,611 Wisconsin 16, 505, Kansas 16,253, Indiana 15,845, and unbelievably Nebraska 15,283. Creighton is the only game in town. I have to admit I'm shocked w/that Nebraska number, especially as bad as they have been!

Reactions: Bishop-71
Top 10 teams by average attendance. Syracuse 20,017, Kentucky 19,338, Arkansas 19,022, North Carolina 18536, Tennessee 18,202, Creighton 16,611 Wisconsin 16, 505, Kansas 16,253, Indiana 15,845, and unbelievably Nebraska 15,283. Creighton is the only game in town. I have to admit I'm shocked w/that Nebraska number, especially as bad as they have been!
So now you rate a teams strength by attendance? Hahaaaa.

Gonzaga which has actually won something is light years ahead of Creighton in basketball and their home court seats 6000.

I can give you other examples but hopefully you get it.

• Haha
You’re absolutely killing me. They were a point away from the Final 4 last year. 1 point. They pack 18K in that arena every single night. Even on a Tuesday. Purdue is a great environment, IU (when they’re good) is tough, Sparty obviously. Name me another arena in the Big Ten that has even close to that environment Uncle Rico.
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, you sound like a Nebraska football fan concerning your 1 pt rant! The CHI center is an all-purpose building it was definitely not built for the sole purpose of being a basketball arena.

A large rabid crowd doesn't have to be seated in a 17,000 seat arena, look at KU.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT