ADVERTISEMENT

The mood of the board regarding Fran

How do you feel about Fran?

• Total voters
The arena situation could ideally be solved by taking out a huge chunk of the near downtown older housing and build some palatial arena in what would become an extension of downtown. CHA isn't old enough to be historic, but it is too old to be contemporary. Just a 40-year-old building no longer fit for purpose.

The arena situation could ideally be solved by taking out a huge chunk of the near downtown older housing and build some palatial arena in what would become an extension of downtown. CHA isn't old enough to be historic, but it is too old to be contemporary. Just a 40-year-old building no longer fit for purpose.
Could not agree more!

I feel somewhat badly for the fans that wrote off the past season because the Hawks didn't achieve NCAA Tournament success. They've written off a great year with twenty six victories and a historic BTT Championship where they beat the two "home" teams to take home the trophy. Seeing the joy on the player's faces after hoisting the trophy, made it clear to them that all the hard work they put in was worth the effort and no fan's personal disappointment can ever take that away from them. It was a fun and successful year.

I feel somewhat badly for the fans that wrote off the past season because the Hawks didn't achieve NCAA Tournament success. They've written off a great year with twenty six victories and a historic BTT Championship where they beat the two "home" teams to take home the trophy. Seeing the joy on the player's faces after hoisting the trophy, made it clear to them that all the hard work they put in was worth the effort and no fan's personal disappointment can ever take that away from them. It was a fun and successful year.
Honestly, I agree. I’ve actually changed my mind about the whole “elusive Sweet 16” benchmark. In truth, who cares? Unless you make it to the Final Four, no one really talks about you. Seriously. How many people remember who was in the Sweet 16 in any given year? Granted, I would like to see deeper tournament runs, but this whole idea that a Sweet 16 appearance should be the benchmark for the status of the Iowa program is pretty silly and arbitrary IMO.

With that said, Fran needs to do better.

Honestly, I agree. I’ve actually changed my mind about the whole “elusive Sweet 16” benchmark. In truth, who cares? Unless you make it to the Final Four, no one really talks about you. Seriously. How many people remember who was in the Sweet 16 in any given year? Granted, I would like to see deeper tournament runs, but this whole idea that a Sweet 16 appearance should be the benchmark for the status of the Iowa program is pretty silly and arbitrary IMO.

With that said, Fran needs to do better.

I’ll agree that the Final Four is an achievement and something that should be celebrated. The Sweet 16 would be great, I just don’t get why it’s the big goal post. Fans being fans I guess. Last few years it was the BTT and the Sweet 16. Now it will be back to the BTT is meaningless and the S16 is the only thing that matters.

Fran could do better sure, but Iowa needs to do better by the basketball team. Iowa is getting a nice ROI on Fran McCaffery based off of results and expenses.

Actually, an interesting poll might include these two options:

1) Fran's view as a recruiter has been enhance by getting high ranked recruits from his own gene pool.
2) Fran's view as a coach has been hurt by the amount his son's play compared to others on the roster.

Based on the comments I have read on this board through the years, that should start a lively debate!

Reactions: littlez and BBHawk

1) Fran's view as a recruiter has been enhance by getting high ranked recruits from his own gene pool.
2) Fran's view as a coach has been hurt by the amount his son's play compared to others on the roster.

Based on the comments I have read on this board through the years, that should start a lively debate!
And considering that his youngest son will probably be the highest rated and most talented, I'm sure this debate will continue through McC's retirement.
😉

C'mon dude. You think that the AAs, the All Big Ten players, the four star recruits, the school's career leaders in almost every major category, 3 NBA players the last two drafts all during Iowa's most successful basketball seasons in decades by a small school (like fish) of bitter enders that cannot overcome a sense of grievance that the coaches sons, two top 100 recruits, play?​

If we’d never had that magical Final 4 run in ‘80, would the entitlement be so strong? Would there be a better appreciation for some great things that have happened in its wake? A great run, by the way. Done with an otherwordly talent in Lester.

If we’d never had that magical Final 4 run in ‘80, would the entitlement be so strong? Would there be a better appreciation for some great things that have happened in its wake? A great run, by the way. Done with an otherwordly talent in Lester.
Making the NCAA Tournament was the first bar. Then winning an NCAA tournament game was next. Now making it to the second weekend is the bar height. The height keeps changing. When Iowa gets to the next level (Sweet Sixteen) but loses, the same posters will be calling for McC's head because he hasn't taken Iowa to the Elite Eight, then it'll be the Final Four, then the Championship game. Then win it. That's the only way this bunch will be satisfied. Of course we Hawk fans all want to win, but that's extremely difficult.

Of course if these posters had it their way, the Iowa coach would be fired every few seasons either for not winning, for winning but getting caught cheating, or for winning but not enough. The results would not be any better than they are and most likely would be worse. Lots of examples of this.

Last edited:
Of course if these posters had it their way, the Iowa coach would be fired every few seasons either for not winning, for winning but getting caught cheating, or for winning but not enough. The results would not be any better than they are and most likely would be worse. Lots of examples of this.
Helmet sticker.

That run was part of the reason Lute left. It gave him the recognition to get bigger offers and it convinced him that he didn't need to live in a fishbowl.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Making the NCAA Tournament was the first bar. Then winning an NCAA tournament game was next. Now making it to the second weekend is the bar height. The height keeps changing. When Iowa gets to the next level (Sweet Sixteen) but loses, the same posters will be calling for McC's head because he hasn't taken Iowa to the Elite Eight, then it'll be the Final Four, then the Championship game. Then win it. That's the only way this bunch will be satisfied. Of vourse we Hawk dans all want yo win, but that's extremely difficult.

Did you have a stroke while finishing that first paragraph?

Well, good luck with that BB. Lyme disease is nothing to sneer at. Can be pretty dangerous. And as an insomniac, I commiserate with you.

Reactions: BBHawk
Well, good luck with that BB. Lyme disease is nothing to sneer at. Can be pretty dangerous. And as an insomniac, I commiserate with you.
Been hell until 2 days ago but I think I am turning the corner. A week of high fevers, then 5 days later I went through 10 straight days of little to no sleep with constant pain. It was really wearing on me. Sorry if I have been grumpier than usual over the last 3 weeks.

Reactions: iahawks10
No, but I was in the throes of what has been diagnosed as Lyme disease and not sleeping much because of pain. I am very surprised that the first paragraph seemed fine but the second one went downhill so fast!

It was still pretty easy to decipher the context of your post, so I wouldn’t worry. Not that one would/should worry about an anonymous post on message board.

I know exactly what you mean though. I’ve been bed ridden since the beginning of July due to a pinched sciatic nerve. Lack of sleep due to pain. Pain meds (tramadol and Hydrocodon) have little to no effect knocking down the pain. The key pad on the feels like it’s getting smaller and smaller. Moral to the story is don’t get old!

I went about 7-10 days of excruciating pain where I would sleep about for about 15 minutes and wake right up. It definitely wears on you. Makes you irritable and it’s like you’re drunk all day. That’s mostly gone and now I sleep like 3 to 4 hours before I wake up in pain. So at least it’s an improvement.

Last edited:
Been hell until 2 days ago but I think I am turning the corner. A week of high fevers, then 5 days later I went through 10 straight days of little to no sleep with constant pain. It was really wearing on me. Sorry if I have been grumpier than usual over the last 3 weeks.
Dude, that is awful. We clearly need more woodpeckers, they eat tics.

Your post was fine, nothing for which to apologize. Home run from my perspective.

It was still pretty easy to decipher the context of your post, so I wouldn’t worry. Not that one would/should worry about an anonymous post on message board.

I know exactly what you mean though. I’ve been bed ridden since the beginning of July due to a pinched sciatic nerve. Lack of sleep due to pain. Pain meds (tramadol and Hydrocodon) have little to no effect knocking down the pain. The key pad on the feels like it’s getting smaller and smaller. Moral to the story is don’t get old!

I went about 7-10 days of excruciating pain where I would sleep about for about 15 minutes and wake right up. It definitely wears on you. Makes you irritable and it’s like you’re drunk all day. That’s mostly gone and now I sleep like 3 to 4 hours before I wake up in pain. So at least it’s an improvement.
Lumbar? I had similar issues. Yeah, getting old sucks but the alternative is far worse. 😉
I had 2 back surgeries, the second a little over a year ago at Mayo Rochester. That one was great! No pain or numbness since, I was walking ~5 miles/day until this latest malady. I hope to get back out there soon. I hope you find the right doc for your back. Check out William Krauss at Mayo. He is blunt and a straight shooter, but he is really good.

Lumbar? I had similar issues. Yeah, getting old sucks but the alternative is far worse. 😉
I had 2 back surgeries, the second a little over a year ago at Mayo Rochester. That one was great! No pain or numbness since, I was walking ~5 miles/day until this latest malady. I hope to get back out there soon. I hope you find the right doc for your back. Check out William Krauss at Mayo. He is blunt and a straight shooter, but he is really good.

I appreciate it. The pain with this is indescribable. L5 and S1 disc herniated. I have surgery scheduled next week after about every alternative approach. I was hoping the epidural would be the answer but that relief was about four days.

I’m not lucky enough for the Mayo or even Iowa City. Mine is going to be in Davenport, but everything I’ve heard about the surgeon has been great. I’m hoping this works, but the U of I will be my next step or the Mayo. Right now, the pain of getting in a car and going to Davenport (20 minutes) is pure hell.

I appreciate it. The pain with this is indescribable. L5 and S1 disc herniated. I have surgery scheduled next week after about every alternative approach. I was hoping the epidural would be the answer but that relief was about four days.

I’m not lucky enough for the Mayo or even Iowa City. Mine is going to be in Davenport, but everything I’ve heard about the surgeon has been great. I’m hoping this works, but the U of I will be my next step or the Mayo. Right now, the pain of getting in a car and going to Davenport (20 minutes) is pure hell.
Good luck! T & P your way. And keep that name just in case - he did my second surgery a year after the first one failed. You never know if they'll accept you at Mayo unless you try.

I'm in terrible health but this conversation reminds me of Christmas 2008. I was already having immune deficiency and auto immune problems. Fred and his cronies were all around 80. All they talked about was the Depression. Finally I said "the depression has been over for 70 years. You ****ers were in grade school when it ended. For the love of God change the topic." So they started to talk about geriatric related health decline. Well that seemed a little to oracular given my own health problems. They were all noncompliant diabetics, so I gave each a shot of Irish Whiskey and they all fell asleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksense
I'm in terrible health but this conversation reminds me of Christmas 2008. I was already having immune deficiency and auto immune problems. Fred and his cronies were all around 80. All they talked about was the Depression. Finally I said "the depression has been over for 70 years. You ****ers were in grade school when it ended. For the love of God change the topic." So they started to talk about geriatric related health decline. Well that seemed a little to oracular given my own health problems. Since they were all noncompliant diabetics, so I gave each a shot of Irish Whiskey and they all fell asleep.
I had sciatic issues for 2 years deplorable. Finally had a surgery and was better the next day. Walked out and have never had a problem. It doesn’t get better. Be proactive and don’t wait. It’s not like normal back surgery. The nerve just needs a place to go. Very very small incision and you are good to go. Otherwise you could be messing with it for years. If I would have known how easy it would be I would have done it way sooner.

Sorry to hear about all of your back probs but back (no pun intended) to Fran…,we could do worse but we could do better. It is what it is. Hope he continues to win, get good kids, and gets Iowa to the second weekend in March. Oh and recruit more athletic black guys!!

• Wow
I had sciatic issues for 2 years deplorable. Finally had a surgery and was better the next day. Walked out and have never had a problem. It doesn’t get better. Be proactive and don’t wait. It’s not like normal back surgery. The nerve just needs a place to go. Very very small incision and you are good to go. Otherwise you could be messing with it for years. If I would have known how easy it would be I would have done it way sooner.
Small? I eventually had to have 2 laminae and a boatload of scar tissue removed. 10" scar. But I also walked out the next day and gingerly sat in a car for the ride back from Rochester to Iowa City. It was well worth it. The only pain after the surgery was incisional. The only rehab was walking, and that was gradual. I highly recommend it for anyone who has spinal nerve issues from arthritis.

Back to basketball!🙂

Sorry to hear about all of your back probs but back (no pun intended) to Fran…,we could do worse but we could do better. It is what it is. Hope he continues to win, get good kids, and gets Iowa to the second weekend in March. Oh and recruit more athletic black guys!!
Please tell me this was a really bad attempt at poking the bear!

Mine is a little more complex. It happened during my last football injury. In 2009 when the Clowns kicked a last second FG to walk off win I leaped (it was also my last leap) out of chair, screamed several very obscene obscenities and then doubled over in just blinding pain. So I thought, I cannot really be hurt from just jumping so I backed up to a dresser and pushed myself upright. About a week later I went to a Dr and among other things I torn my glutinous minimus lose from the bone and damaged a bunch of nerves.

The only one that still causes problems is sciatic so thanks for the tip. I think I will get a referral and see a surgeon. They made is sound a like a big deal but that was 13 years ago.

Mine is a little more complex. It happened during my last football injury. In 2009 when the Clowns kicked a last second FG to walk off win I leaped (it was also my last leap) out of chair, screamed several very obscene obscenities and then doubled over in just blinding pain. So I thought, I cannot really be hurt from just jumping so I backed up to a dresser and pushed myself upright. About a week later I went to a Dr and among other things I torn my glutinous minimus lose from the bone and damaged a bunch of nerves.

The only one that still causes problems is sciatic so thanks for the tip. I think I will get a referral and see a surgeon. They made is sound a like a big deal but that was 13 years ago.
Get an MRI. All I’m saying. I was scared to death because it’s the back. By the time I took my MRI to the surgeon he looked at it and said he did 2-3 surgeries a day. Mine was obviously not complicated. But that sciatic shooting down the leg is an absolute bitch. Dropped me to my knees multiple times.

Get an MRI. All I’m saying. I was scared to death because it’s the back. By the time I took my MRI to the surgeon he looked at it and said he did 2-3 surgeries a day. Mine was obviously not complicated. But that sciatic shooting down the leg is an absolute bitch. Dropped me to my knees multiple times.
Doing a political public debate in around 2015. Just standing at a mic with a smallish mic stand. Started to feel my leg go weak. I did not want to fall down in public-that's like a death rattle. Had to grab the mic stand or I would have gone down.

ADVERTISEMENT