ADVERTISEMENT

The most clutch play in the last decade for Iowa

I don't know if this counts, but it may prove to be the answer:

50399f0e-e7dd-410d-b59e-a9ca3fd69f6c-BETH-1.JPG

1716643373.jpg

Yes, yes it was. And yes, yes they did. We were there, around the 30 yard line in the East stands, so we had a great view of Wadley's brilliant play that should have been a game winner. Kinnick at night was up for grabs when Wadley put the Hawkeyes ahead. I still can't believe the D couldn't make ONE key stop. A FG would have done PSU no good. It was TD or lose, and damn if that last pass into the back of the north end zone didn't miss the Iowa DB's fingertips by an inch . .
As good as PP is as defense coordinator there has actually been numerous times the D couldn't get a stop to win games

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
How about some more clutch plays that happened in a loss?

2019 @ Wisconsin comes to mind. Stanley to Tracy 75 yard pass with a few minutes left down 8. Thought the subsequent 2 point conversion was a good play call and was well executed just unfortunately a fantastic play by the Wisconsin defender who stonewalled him. We would've won the West that year if we had ended up winning this game.

2018 @ Penn State. Geno Stone pick 6 to turn the tide in the 4th quarter. Put us on a trajectory to win the game until it was undone by the anti-clutchness of the subsequent interception at the goal line.

Beathard to Smith is the obvious one that doesn't even need mentioning.

Going back more than a decade, Broderick Binns pick 6 in the desert at Arizona in 2010. Thought we were actually gonna pull that game out of our asses for a second there.

Akrum Wadley with what should have been the game-winning TD with about 1:30 to play against Penn State in the night game at Kinnick. But the vaunted Iowa defense let PSU march the length of the field and score the actual game-winning TD on the last play of the game, a play that started with ONE second on the clock . . .

Wadley was one of the best and most exciting RBs ever to wear the black and gold, objectivley speaking. I loved watching him play.
Was at that game thanks for reminding me

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Not one person outside the Wisconsin team “knew” it was coming. Yet every Hawk fan now says they “knew”.

See, that’s the problem, folks: Coaches have to guess what is coming. Sometimes, they are wrong.

Also, no fans admit they “knew” about the other 10 times they “knew” and were wrong.
BS. The restaurant I worked definitely had a few people yelling out for the fake lol.

Reactions: Roncuba55
Would've been Cooper's return like mentioned. So I'll give the refs "credit" for a clutch bad call that went our way and say the phantom face mask on the Desmond King punt return to set up the winning FG against Michigan in 2016. Beathard threw the pick that should've sealed the loss, Harbaugh decided to throw the ball for God only knows what reason instead of running out the clock, forced the punt and got 15 free yards on the return that we didn't deserve. Like the opposite of losing to them in 2004 when the calls all went there way. Surprising even more since Michigan was ranked so high as well with a lot on the line. I don't think freshman Duncan makes his FG if it needed 15 more yards.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Yeah that's definitely up there and a very low point for KF. It seemed like everyone in the stadium and watching on TV knew that a fake punt was coming... except our ST coordinator and HC apparently.
I call BS on that. Everybody did NOT know they would run a fake punt from inside their own 20 or whatever it was. Crazy and ballsy move that would have ended the game right there had it failed. Its REALLY easy to sit back afterwards and say , "Oh I knew they were going to run a fake there". Fans, especially many on here are great arm chair QB's AFTER plays happen, just like calling out shit after instant replay. Coaches don't have that luxury.

Not one person outside the Wisconsin team “knew” it was coming. Yet every Hawk fan now says they “knew”.

See, that’s the problem, folks: Coaches have to guess what is coming. Sometimes, they are wrong.

Also, no fans admit they “knew” about the other 10 times they “knew” and were wrong.
exactly.......

@kceasthawk wisky running a fake punt was literally the reason they won thegame, several people knew at the time it was at least a 50/50 shot... they did it and they won the game because of it.

Would've been Cooper's return like mentioned. So I'll give the refs "credit" for a clutch bad call that went our way and say the phantom face mask on the Desmond King punt return to set up the winning FG against Michigan in 2016. Beathard threw the pick that should've sealed the loss, Harbaugh decided to throw the ball for God only knows what reason instead of running out the clock, forced the punt and got 15 free yards on the return that we didn't deserve. Like the opposite of losing to them in 2004 when the calls all went there way. Surprising even more since Michigan was ranked so high as well with a lot on the line. I don't think freshman Duncan makes his FG if it needed 15 more yards.

You’re thinking of the 2005 Michigan game. The 2005 team got absolutely hosed with officiating.

In 2004, Michigan kicked our ass, dropping us to 2-2, and we didn’t lose again.

You’re thinking of the 2005 Michigan game. The 2005 team got absolutely hosed with officiating.

In 2004, Michigan kicked our ass, dropping us to 2-2, and we didn’t lose again.

You're right. 2005 that ended the home winning streak. 2004 at Michigan was the play where Tate got his helmet ripped off and still kept the play going (blown dead though).

Did we know for a fact they would fake? No, there was a chance they wouldn't. But knowing BB and Wisc at the time, many, including myself and most the crowd around me, called it out, then watched as the obvious fake came and worked to perfection. That play defined the trajectory of the program for the next few years.

Reactions: BonzoFury
2010 was a snake bitten season.

Lost to Arizona by 7, lost to Wisconsin by 1, lost to Northwestern by 4, lost to Ohio State by 3 (by paid athletes), and lost to Minnesota by 3.

Wasn't the Ohio State game down to like a 4th and 10 with us up and we let their QB run for the 1st down?

Bad juju. It wasn't just a fake punt that did it.

As mentioned your really up against it when a good offense goes into 4 downs mode. See MSU in the championship game as well.
Probably didn't help that MSU had the ball for 13 more minutes, we had 2 fumbles and an interception, went 3-12 on 3rd downs, only had 13 1st downs to MSU's 20. Again, hard for the Def to be out there for 1 extra quarter.

Probably didn't help that MSU had the ball for 13 more minutes, we had 2 fumbles and an interception, went 3-12 on 3rd downs, only had 13 1st downs to MSU's 20. Again, hard for the Def to be out there for 1 extra quarter.
That TOP difference was mostly on the last drive. They ran 22 plays! Totally incredible. Several times it looked like we had them stopped and they'd get that extra yard. We also dropped a TD in the endzone, (Kittle), and that play should have been a targeting call as well. Still believe that was the best B1G championship game to date. Sucks that we came out on the wrong end. I think if our LB's like Jewell would have been a bit more seasoned we get a stop in the 4th....

Reactions: desihawk
@kceasthawk wisky running a fake punt was literally the reason they won thegame, several people knew at the time it was at least a 50/50 shot... they did it and they won the game because of it.
I'm aware thats why they won, I'm just saying that everyone knew it before hand is not correct. You yourself are now saying it was 50/50. And for the record (as has been addressed before) we had a punt safe on (so KF was looking for it), and it was not executed by the players. You'd surprised I think how often the coaches are on top of things or call the right play on offense or defense, and the plays not executed. Shit happens, and that one hurt...

Reactions: Roncuba55
I'm aware thats why they won, I'm just saying that everyone knew it before hand is not correct. You yourself are now saying it was 50/50. And for the record (as has been addressed before) we had a punt safe on (so KF was looking for it), and it was not executed by the players. You'd surprised I think how often the coaches are on top of things or call the right play on offense or defense, and the plays not executed. Shit happens, and that one hurt...
That's fair and I can agree with that. Kudos to BB for having some nuts and playing to win to get the W. Still stings to this day, 2010 was such a disappointing season... UGH!!

Markfromj was insinuating that the fake was a shock or an afterthought. I think most knowledgeable football people knew a fake could happen with that coach, the team almost in desperation mode and it did and it worked.

That TOP difference was mostly on the last drive. They ran 22 plays! Totally incredible. Several times it looked like we had them stopped and they'd get that extra yard. We also dropped a TD in the endzone, (Kittle), and that play should have been a targeting call as well. Still believe that was the best B1G championship game to date. Sucks that we came out on the wrong end. I think if our LB's like Jewell would have been a bit more seasoned we get a stop in the 4th....
the kittle play was even worse than that. if kittle had actually dropped the pass to the ground, we might've won the game (by at least making a chip shot FG that drive). problem is the ball sat on his back as he lay and they got the INT. one of if not worst freak play to go against us in the KF era

Reactions: kceasthawk
It was a great game. Can always look back and do "ands and buts", no doubt though on one of the best games.

Maybe someone mentioned it, and not a massive game other than Greenwood leading out the Swarm, but CJ having the awareness to run for yards and call a quick TO to set up Koehn’s walk-off FG.

the kittle play was even worse than that. if kittle had actually dropped the pass to the ground, we might've won the game (by at least making a chip shot FG that drive). problem is the ball sat on his back as he lay and they got the INT. one of if not worst freak play to go against us in the KF era
Damn, your right, I forgot they actually ended up with a turnover on that one as well. What could have been.......

Reactions: desihawk
It was a great game. Can always look back and do "ands and buts", no doubt though on one of the best games.
I still remember the crowd was deafening with the I-O-W-A cheer for a couple of minutes after CJB's bomb to Smith. We were right there in the national spotlight, and for a few minutes it was glorious. Then of course a few weeks later both the Hawks and Spartans got their ASSES handed to them. :(

Iowa @ Nebraska. 2021.

This is a personal choice. there are countless valid candidates but this one resonates a little longer for me. I was back in the Midwest for my mother’s funeral and was in a metaphorical fog for most of my trip out there. I was killing time with my family walking around downtown Chicago and was half-assed tracking the Iowa vs Nebraska game.

Severe doubts crept into my mind as we struggled mightily. We had no business winning that game. But then this happened; Marchese & Fisher

Needless to say, I was able to enjoy a brief moment that weekend.

Did we know for a fact they would fake? No, there was a chance they wouldn't. But knowing BB and Wisc at the time, many, including myself and most the crowd around me, called it out, then watched as the obvious fake came and worked to perfection. That play defined the trajectory of the program for the next few years.
This.

I was at the game too and several people around us were saying "watch out for the fake". I recall because my wife asked why would they fake it? After the play a guy in front of us turned around laughing and said "That's why".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT