Wanted to take a look at Gains and Losses

QB

McNamara. vs. Padilla. + for the Hawks
D. Hill vs. May

WR

Seth Anderson vs. A. Bruce + for the Hawks
note: K. Johnson was a non contributor last year

TE

E. All + Plus for the Hawks, no portal losses but he should fill in for Laporta who will be a pro

OL

D. Parker and Rusty Fethvs. Volk. Plus for the Hawks

Two experienced linemen to add competition and depth to the room. Feth at center and Parker at tackle. Plumb graduates, Brit is done at Iowa and no word on Davidkov

LBer

Nick Jackson vs. J. Jacobs Plus for the Hawks

Jackson was second team all ACC, Jacob's was hurt and DNP

Even more critical we lose Campbell and Benson so experience from a three year starter is huge

I think we have 4-5 2023 recruits that will also contribute next year.

In the end, you need to replace losses and improve where you can. I think the staff accomplished that task. May see another WR after spring, but I like our new pieces for a West Championship run.

Have to factor in K Johnson even though he was injured last year. Clearly the biggest play making WR on the roster. He's a net loss. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the new offensive players can assimilate and the O develop some kind of chemistry and rhythm. That'll be critical...more talent alone won't do it.

Phil Parker always has a way of rebuilding the D, even in years when we lose key players. (which is pretty much every year). Not worried about the D.

Have to factor in K Johnson even though he was injured last year. Clearly the biggest play making WR on the roster. He's a net loss. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the new offensive players can assimilate and the O develop some kind of chemistry and rhythm. That'll be critical...more talent alone won't do it.

Phil Parker always has a way of rebuilding the D, even in years when we lose key players. (which is pretty much every year). Not worried about the D.

K Johnson is definitely a LOSS. But it's tricky, if you are comparing the WR room to last year.... I seems like it will be improved this season (since I Johnson didn't contribute).

With our WR production.... It seems that anything will be an improvement, but that's what we said about the OL last year!

I'm an optimist, so I think we improve... Despite still having BF as our OC

LB: A healthy Jacobs is better than Jackson. 6-4 with experience in Iowa's scheme defending WR/TE, the healthy part is the kicker.

OL: win for Iowa either way, it could not get worse.

WR: easy loss for Iowa and I am a big fan of Nico returning as well, but Iowa needs an explosive play maker

TE: who knows, just like Jacobs, when healthy he could be an absolute beast

DL: WIN, just maintain at this point, keep that depth going, even with the loss of Van Ness

QB: well duh

My goal was to look at whether our team this fall could be stronger than last year. The players that DNP can not be included.

FWIW, Johnson had a 19 yard average in his career. Approx. 350 yards.

My goal was to look at whether our team this fall could be stronger than last year. The players that DNP can not be included.

FWIW, he did that as a true freshman. I am prepared for Charlie Jones v 2.0 on this board for the next few years.

QB

D. Hill vs. May

WR

TE

E. All + Plus for the Hawks, no portal losses but he should fill in for Laporta who will be a pro

OL

Two experienced linemen to add competition and depth to the room. Feth at center and Parker at tackle. Plumb graduates, Brit is done at Iowa and no word on Davidkov

LBer

Even more critical we lose Campbell and Benson so experience from a three year starter is huge

In the end, you need to replace losses and improve where you can. I think the staff accomplished that task. May see another WR after spring, but I like our new pieces for a West Championship run.

I agree McNamara and All great additions, however, I believe the former is coming off of knee surgery and the latter back surgery so we may not want to assume both will be healthy plug & play options.

How do give a loss at WR for losing a guy who would not/could not play?
Sorry, but that's a win, no matter what he does for another team.
I see your point that losing KJ is a loss because he has a ton of talent, however, you can have all the talent in the world but if your always on the sideline injured, then the team is not losing much by KJ's departure, and it free's up a scholarship for someone who hopefully can contribute and be somewhat healthy. Just my opinion. LOL I think Jimmy G at San Francisco is a good example. He won games when he was playing but was on the IR more then he was on the field.

K Johnson is definitely a LOSS. But it's tricky, if you are comparing the WR room to last year.... I seems like it will be improved this season (since I Johnson didn't contribute).

With our WR production.... It seems that anything will be an improvement, but that's what we said about the OL last year!

With our schedule, if we aren't improved by mid season, they should walk BF out.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Lachey + healthy Al > LaPorta

At the very least it’s a wash, especially with a better QB and OL factored in compared to last year.

Not too mention, TE’s always prosper at Iowa.
Not disagreeing, but the comment was based on the WR position being better due to Johnson not playing last year. Erick All played about the same amount as Johnson did.

How do give a loss at WR for losing a guy who would not/could not play?
Sorry, but that's a win, no matter what he does for another team.
Pretty one-sided if we are only going to consider what the Hawkeyes did last year only, but the incoming transfers we look past that. If you are looking at incoming transfers the same as the Hawkeyes you can't say All and McNamara are pluses. Not saying they aren't a step up but it is moving criteria for sure.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
I see your point that losing KJ is a loss because he has a ton of talent, however, you can have all the talent in the world but if your always on the sideline injured, then the team is not losing much by KJ's departure, and it free's up a scholarship for someone who hopefully can contribute and be somewhat healthy. Just my opinion. LOL I think Jimmy G at San Francisco is a good example. He won games when he was playing but was on the IR more then he was on the field.
Iowa has had six scholarship wide receivers leave in the last fifteen months and we’ve added one guy in the portal. Our wide receiving room is threadbare and they still can’t get guys.

Pretty one-sided if we are only going to consider what the Hawkeyes did last year only, but the incoming transfers we look past that. If you are looking at incoming transfers the same as the Hawkeyes you can't say All and McNamara are pluses. Not saying they aren't a step up but it is moving criteria for sure.
McNamara all day upgrade over the past three years; and I’d feel confident in extending that thru the past seven years without him yet having taken a snap with a tigerhawk on his helmet.

LB: A healthy Jacobs is better than Jackson. 6-4 with experience in Iowa's scheme defending WR/TE, the healthy part is the kicker.

OL: win for Iowa either way, it could not get worse.

WR: easy loss for Iowa and I am a big fan of Nico returning as well, but Iowa needs an explosive play maker

TE: who knows, just like Jacobs, when healthy he could be an absolute beast

DL: WIN, just maintain at this point, keep that depth going, even with the loss of Van Ness

QB: well duh
a healthy Jacobs is better than a 3 year starter 100+ tackle All ACC linebacker? lol

The weird thing about KJ is that he seemed to be in a good spot. He became WR1 as a true frosh and was going to get a QB upgrade.
Even though he's not that far from home, one has to wonder if it was a home sickness thing. More likely he watched from the sidelines and saw the WR position essentially ignored and said "F it, I wanna catch the ball".

a healthy Jacobs is better than a 3 year starter 100+ tackle All ACC linebacker? lol
Yes he is. Had Jacobs been healthy this year, he would be in the nfl draft. I am a huge fan of getting Jackson, but Jackson is not Jacobs nor Hausmann

You assume that of every player returning and coming in until you hear otherwise.

I believe we will be better next year on offense. Perhaps, not leaps and bounds, but the improvement will be noticeable. The defense will always be good.

Reactions: shudaddy
Yes he is. Had Jacobs been healthy this year, he would be in the nfl draft. I am a huge fan of getting Jackson, but Jackson is not Jacobs nor Hausmann
Jacobs has a higher upside but Jackson far more proven and consistent college player which with inexperienced group is what Iowa needs. Jacobs more likely to get drafted higher because of physical attributes and potential over his on the field play if he was healthy this year. kind of like van ness. Hausmann upside would’ve been 3 more years. Think Jackson be better next year however by time he’s upper classman hausmann chance he’s a better player.

QB

D. Hill vs. May

WR

TE

OL

LBer

Its musical chairs.

Iowa has had six scholarship wide receivers leave in the last fifteen months and we’ve added one guy in the portal. Our wide receiving room is threadbare and they still can’t get guys.
I hear ya brother, and it did not help that Charlie Jones was only considered a special teams player until he went to Purdue and looked like an all american.

Sure he didn't play last year, but if he hadn't transferred he would play next year and would probably easily be the best WR on the team. Not sure how you can count that as a plus for the Hawks.

Just don't see it. Even when KJ played he was inconsistent. Is he a big loss? Maybe, and maybe not.

The picture at WR is/was a little bit of a mixed bag.

Both Bruce and Ragaini are most naturally slot-guys. I thought that Arland was a promising young guy ... but his consistency dropped down a bit from year 1 to year 2. Don't know what the drop was due to. Maybe frustration, maybe attitude issues (related to the prior element)), maybe entitlement issues, maybe the difficulty of handling the responsibility of being our top WR (thereby getting most of the defensive attention) ... ?

The loss of Bruce is potentially mitigated some by the return of Ragaini.

Keagan Johnson is arguably a bit stronger of a player compared to Seth Anderson ... Seth Anderson being more of a Ihmir Smith-Marsette type of player. The implication being that Johnson has more potential has a blocker ... and a bit more likely to be able to get yardage after contact. However, Anderson might be quicker ... and potentially just as likely to get yardage after the catch.

If I were to guess, Vines is a speedy guy ... likely capable of playing EITHER the slot or the other WR spot.

Keagan was MAYBE a guy who could play at SE ... but, even then, it was arguably probably not his best spot. Thus, portal gains/losses didn't really address our WR personnel issues at split-end.

Of course, if you look at our TR FR WRs ... both Buie and Howard seem to be an attempt to immediately address that spot. Otherwise, Brecht is the only other guy on the roster who seems to be a more natural fit at the SE spot.

With the continued development and emergence of Lachey ... the combo of Lachey and All give our twin TE sets a little more "teeth." In addition to those two ... Ostrenga saw quality snaps ... and Stilianos has some experience.

The nature of the mismatches generated by TEs are different from those by WRs ... however, if the WRs can force opposing Ds to defend a stretched field ... then the TEs can roam the middle and exploit the seams.

Reactions: stevec10502

I think Vines not playing at the start of the year really hurt them too. Hoping he can stay healthy going into the season. Is Ragiani (spelling most likely wrong) coming back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT