ADVERTISEMENT

The Problems caused by Racism and Prejudice in this country

People are much more willing to question police treatment of minorities and government systems that disproportionately hurt minorities (mass incarceration and the war on drugs) than they were 10 years

Funny stuff right there. This is what your quote reminds me of.

Try working the job for 23 plus years and seeing what I see and how really crappy people treat good people and take advantage of good people all the time, with no regret or remorse, and unless it benefits them, then piss on everybody. See who commits the crimes all the time at stores. See who makes the bad choices breaking the law whether you agree with the law or not. Then maybe you can offer some actual meaningful input to this discussion but otherwise it's nothing but drivel. What really disgusts me is how you imply ALL cops treat minorities unfairly. You don't know a thing about me or my fellow brothers so don't judge what you have clue none about. Hell, in all my years here I have always offered anyone here to do ride along and not one person has ever taken me up on it..not one. Much easier just to regurgitate words on a computer and hide behind a screen name then experience it.

I don't like responding to these threads because most posters will respond or say exactly what you have said. That's the only reason I usually stay out of these, but once in awhile, something needs to be said.

People are much more willing to question police treatment of minorities and government systems that disproportionately hurt minorities (mass incarceration and the war on drugs) than they were 10 years

Try working the job for 23 plus years and seeing what I see and how really crappy people treat good people and take advantage of good people all the time, with no regret or remorse, and unless it benefits them, then piss on everybody. See who commits the crimes all the time at stores. See who makes the bad choices breaking the law whether you agree with the law or not. Then maybe you can offer some actual meaningful input to this discussion but otherwise it's nothing but drivel. What really disgusts me is how you imply ALL cops treat minorities unfairly. You don't know a thing about me or my fellow brothers so don't judge what you have clue none about. Hell, in all my years here I have always offered anyone here to do ride along and not one person has ever taken me up on it..not one. Much easier just to regurgitate words on a computer and hide behind a screen name then experience it.

I don't like responding to these threads because most posters will respond or say exactly what you have said. That's the only reason I usually stay out of these, but once in awhile, something needs to be said.

Don't abdicate your obligation to speak in favor of the rule of law. The only reason we have a President who brazenly defies his oath of office, is because good people like you let the Occupy wing-nuts monopolize the venue and give the false impression that America wants to devolve into a culture without a moral compass. The internet is heaven for the anarchists since, unlike the real world, there are no consequences for their proud stupidity.

Reactions: plmac9
Not to confuse anyone with science but there's a well-recognized phenomenon in behavioral science called "the extinction burst." That's what we might be seeing. Racism IS coming to an end, but the racists are going through their extinction burst phase.

[from Wikipedia]

In the operant conditioning paradigm, extinction refers to the process of no longer providing the reinforcement that has been maintaining a behavior.

While extinction, when implemented consistently over time, results in the eventual decrease of the undesired behavior, in the short-term the subject might exhibit what is called an extinction burst. An extinction burst will often occur when the extinction procedure has just begun. This usually consists of a sudden and temporary increase in the response's frequency, followed by the eventual decline and extinction of the behavior targeted for elimination. Novel behavior, or emotional responses or aggressive behavior, may also occur.

I agree with this...and I think the extinction is happening to both the racists and the "reverse racists" as well. The crowd that flowed into Missouri to stir up stuff is struggling for relevance. They are making a lot of noise, but I think even they see the beginning of the end so they scream louder and get more violent.

I agree with this...and I think the extinction is happening to both the racists and the "reverse racists" as well. The crowd that flowed into Missouri to stir up stuff is struggling for relevance. They are making a lot of noise, but I think even they see the beginning of the end so they scream louder and get more violent.

Racism is a useless politically coded word in America. Tribalism is more accurate for any discussion on bigotry.

Actually the "racism" problem in America is getting worse. We now live in a hyper-emotion-driven society where anyone not voting for Obama is a racist. There's no real discussion between opposing political views because if you say you are for the rule of law or lower taxes the left responds with "racist". If you're talking about the KKK going away, they haven't held sway in half a century. If you're talking about La Raza, they are bigger and stronger than ever. If you're talking about the rest of the world, tribalism is diminishing but no where near extinct.

just would-I disagree with most your posts but you are making a good point.The vibe from protests today compared to the 60's is much different.Today's protestors are more like and portrayed more like thugs than the 60's.In the 60's protestors were were seen as heroes and crusadors.Then the locals were seen as rascist rednecks along with law enforcement.Today the town people and cops seem to be seen as the victims and the good guys trying to keep peace.VEry interesting theory you have,My compliments!!!!!

It's kind of counter intuitive, but I think the whole police thing is misunderstood.

Less policing leads to more crime. Statistically speaking inner cities have been under policed historically even in the broken windows era.

The amount of black deaths caused by police is negligible. Black on black crime is the major reason for death and injury.

The last three big racial incidences have all involved black men resisting arrest. How many of you have tried to subdue someone in your life? It is freaking hard! Throw in the fact that if a cop loses he probably dies due to his gun being used against him.

Plenty of bad actors out there in positions of public trust, but the inner city cop thing is really misunderstood IMO.

It's kind of counter intuitive, but I think the whole police thing is misunderstood.

Less policing leads to more crime. Statistically speaking inner cities have been under policed historically even in the broken windows era.

The amount of black deaths caused by police is negligible. Black on black crime is the major reason for death and injury.

The last three big racial incidences have all involved black men resisting arrest. How many of you have tried to subdue someone in your life? It is freaking hard! Throw in the fact that if a cop loses he probably dies due to his gun being used against him.

Plenty of bad actors out there in positions of public trust, but the inner city cop thing is really misunderstood IMO.

How about Tamir Rice? He resisting arrest?

How do people turn a blind eye after what the justice department found in both Cleveland and Ferguson?

Where to begin?

1. "Hiding behind a screen name" is pretty laughable. My screen name is related to my name. My picture is on this website. I've talked about where I grew up, where I lived in Iowa most recently, where/when I went to college, where I go to law school, and where I'm living now. You are what? A Coralville cop. That's about all I recall you sharing (admittedly I've been gone from here a lot over the last 2-3 years).

2. I think you're overreacting like a whiny bitch to a comment that is rather truthful. Read my quote and see if it elicits the reaction you think it does. I hope you were drunk or something when you posted like a little baby about you and your "brothers." I didn't condemn all police. I generally do dislike the police, and particularly the type of people who wind up being police. In fact, I got in some idiotic argument with some clown on here recently about that as he tried to make some half-baked argument about how me disliking the type of people who become police was similar to him not liking black people. I also have a good friend on the UIPD and have said on here multiple times how Mike Smithey is one of the best people I've ever met.

That said, this wasn't even that type of comment. This wasn't incendiary. It was truth. Police treatment of minorities is under question. It's under question by the god damn justice department. It is something that absolutely should be addressed, and your rant (by an otherwise sane person) shows just how uphill this battle will be.

3. I lived in your city, on 5th/1st, for 6 years. I worked in retail for 4 of those years. I frequented the businesses in the area. I have seen all of the crime you're describing. I'm not sure I would agree with your (thinly veiled) accusation that it's black people who commit crimes in Coralville, but I don't even think that's the problem. People commit crimes, and your job is to arrest them, not act violent toward them. I am sure you do that well. I do not think, on the whole, police in inner cities do that well. Which is why you see all the turmoil that exists today.

4. Lastly, I hope you're not like the Catholic church, willing to protect those in your line of work even in the face of enormous evidence of how terrible they are. I wish cops would get out and push for the changes that are necessary to help our society move forward, instead of spouting off about "their brothers in blue." I would have a lot more respect for the police if they would be willing to call out those in their profession who deserve to be called out.

I dont know if anything has really changed but it is obvious that we see more "race issues" on the 24 hour media cycle as well as comments made from Obama, Holder, Susan Rice, and Jarrett.

The USA missed a huge opportunity to address a big race issue. What we got instead was a President who sat in a chruch for 20 years listening to the preacher talk about how the white man was evil.

We have not had a discussion on why there is so much crime and drugs in the black communities. Why there is a big drop out rate, why there is such a huge number of babies born out of wedlock.

Instead of leaders like MLK, we see the black community rally around young black men that have long arrest records.

Exhibit A why Obama had no chance in improving race relations. And just in case anyone forgot, I said earlier in the thread that he underestimated how big of a task this would be. I'm not "forgiving" him. Just pointing out that this type of thinking probably wasn't contemplated by Obama when he thought he was going to bring the nation together.

How do people turn a blind eye after what the justice department found in both Cleveland and Ferguson?

The Justice Department didn't find anything in Ferguson.

1-45.png
[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm misreading this. But the graph seems to be saying that black people are killed at a higher ratio than their overall population would suggest, and white people are killed at a lower?

Here is an interesting article about the problems with the police killing statistics so frequently cited by both sides.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/02/politics/kristoff-oreilly-police-shooting-numbers-fact-check/

One question, have you ever lived in a big city area, that wasn't predominantly white and safe.

Lol, wut? I'm not talking about the individual death of Michael Brown. I'm talking about the city of Ferguson using black people to fund their city.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...rt-on-the-ferguson-mo-police-department/1435/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/03/04/the-12-key-highlights-from-the-dojs-scathing-ferguson-report/

They had to admonish Ferguson for something after they trumped up the "Hands up, Don't shoot" false narrative.

Wilson was completely exonerated.

Maybe I'm misreading this. But the graph seems to be saying that black people are killed at a higher ratio than their overall population would suggest, and white people are killed at a lower?

Here is an interesting article about the problems with the police killing statistics so frequently cited by both sides.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/02/politics/kristoff-oreilly-police-shooting-numbers-fact-check/[/QUOTE]

Actually, It looks like Latinos are getting off easy.

They had to admonish Ferguson for something after they trumped up the "Hands up, Don't shoot" false narrative.

Wilson was completely exonerated.

I'm not debating anything about Darren Wilson. That's not the issue I was discussing. The treatment of black people by police is what I was discussing. Try to keep up.

Exhibit A why Obama had no chance in improving race relations. And just in case anyone forgot, I said earlier in the thread that he underestimated how big of a task this would be. I'm not "forgiving" him. Just pointing out that this type of thinking probably wasn't contemplated by Obama when he thought he was going to bring the nation together.
Obama didn't think anymore than, oh crap, being President isn't nearly as commanding as I once thought. Sorry, but he wasn't even close to being ready to 'rule the world'. Very few men every have been. About the closest, or maybe he actually was ready, was George HW Bush. Easily the most qualified man for the job.

I'm not debating anything about Darren Wilson. That's not the issue I was discussing. The treatment of black people by police is what I was discussing. Try to keep up.
You do realize that a lot of that bad treatment comes from other minorities who just so happen to be cops. Have you ever really be in a 'ghetto' area.
I want an honest answer here. I see you, and I see someone who's lived in safe neighborhoods, had plenty of opportunities and was surrounded by people of the same. If I'm wrong, correct me, but don't BS me.

One question, have you ever lived in a big city area, that wasn't predominantly white and safe.

In my life I've lived in Baton Rouge (5 years), Waterloo (14 years), Tempe (1 year), Cedar Falls (1 year), Iowa City (2 years), Coralville (6 years), Chicago (2 years) and New York (4 weeks). The neighborhoods I have lived in have ranged from lily white (Cedar Falls) to moderately diverse. You're not the ABA, so I'm not going to list out each of my individual addresses.

I also currently live with a black guy from Philly and a Chinese guy from Queens, in case that matters in your calculations of whether or not I'm qualified to speak on matters of injustice...

You need to find better martyrs than Brown and Ferguson. There are plenty out there, but that one hurts your stance.

Obama didn't think anymore than, oh crap, being President isn't nearly as commanding as I once thought. Sorry, but he wasn't even close to being ready to 'rule the world'. Very few men every have been. About the closest, or maybe he actually was ready, was George HW Bush. Easily the most qualified man for the job.

I didn't vote for Obama either time, and generally don't support him. I've said on many occasions that I thought he was pushed into the role 4-8 years too early.

You do realize that a lot of that bad treatment comes from other minorities who just so happen to be cops. Have you ever really be in a 'ghetto' area.
I want an honest answer here. I see you, and I see someone who's lived in safe neighborhoods, had plenty of opportunities and was surrounded by people of the same. If I'm wrong, correct me, but don't BS me.

Yes. I'm well aware that there is a non-racial component of the poor treatment of black people by police, due to the poor treatment coming at the hands of black officers. David Simon talks about it in this piece about Baltimore and the police issues there.

http://www.vice.com/read/david-simon-talks-about-where-the-baltimore-police-went-wrong-429

Again, I've listed where I've lived. I'll be on pins and needles waiting for your opinion on whether or not I'm qualified to talk about this. I'm sure you're ready to do the same for all the others in this thread?

plmac is the leading expert in this thread and he's already weighed in.

Yes. I'm well aware that there is a non-racial component of the poor treatment of black people by police, due to the poor treatment coming at the hands of black officers. David Simon talks about it in this piece about Baltimore and the police issues there.

http://www.vice.com/read/david-simon-talks-about-where-the-baltimore-police-went-wrong-429

Again, I've listed where I've lived. I'll be on pins and needles waiting for your opinion on whether or not I'm qualified to talk about this.
Stand on solid ground man, this discussion requires patience and balance. So have you actually ever been a crack house? The Projects, neighborhoods where you DO NOT want to be caught at night.

I've seen it, especially in East St Louis, which took the cake for me. I drove through there and I could have swore I was in East Berlin. Broken infrastructure, houses that the big bad wolf could easily blow down, prostitutes walking the streets(neighborhood streets mind you), guys walking the street and turning their back every time they saw a car, people passed out, or maybe dead, I don't know.

I've been at a crackhouse, where the parents lived in god awful, shit smelling foulness, that had barely any furniture, little to no food, drugged our parents, with kids running around in a completely horrible situation. I've been in jail with hoodlums for an extended amount of time, who came from these types of neighborhoods. etc, etc. I've known people who came from these areas, and became friends with them, and listened to their stories. I've lived in St Louis, Oakland, and the Newport News area. I also did a stint in New Jersey for awhile.

This isn't BS, it's true. What I found was that there are serious problems in these areas. The cops working them go through hell, and it would be very hard to stay patient with the community. I'm not making excuses for blatantly brazen and brutal behavior, but in some cases, I can see how it would develop. It gets VERY ugly in some of these areas, and I'm sorry, but the ignorance of those communities is the biggest driving force behind it. Seriously, go walk in an area like this someday. Tell me how that goes for you, bring your girl along. See how that goes for you too. I'm willing to bet you wouldn't, nor should you, nor would I blame you for not doing so. It is what it is.

Point being is that there are some serious bad things going on that you never hear about, nor do you deal with day in and day out. What it happened in Baltimore is a failure of leadership. It seems that in almost every community that is near majority minority populated, and governed, you have the same broken down system. Detroit, Memphis(big time here), Baltimore, New Orleans, etc.

As much as the rednecks are ignorant, so are those that ignore what's going on in these communities, and how their people are directly responsible. It's so easy to blame the more fortunate, and the ones with 'authority' sometimes. Most of the time that assumption is correct. But sometimes, the so called victims are simply victims of their own accord.

Stand on solid ground man, this discussion requires patience and balance. So have you actually ever been a crack house? The Projects, neighborhoods where you DO NOT want to be caught at night.

I've seen it, especially in East St Louis, which took the cake for me. I drove through their and I could have swore I was in East Berlin. Broken infrastructure, houses that the big bad wolf could easily blow down, prostitutes walking the streets(neighborhood streets mind you), guys walking the street and turning their back every time they saw a car, people passed out, or maybe dead, I don't know.

I've been at a crackhouse, where the parents lived in god awful, shit smelling foulness, that had barely any furniture, little to no food, drugged our parents, with kids running around in a completely horrible situation. I've been in jail with hoodlums for an extended amount of time, who came from these types of neighborhoods. etc, etc.

This isn't BS, it's true. What I found was that there are serious problems in these areas. The cops working them go through hell, and it would be very hard to stay patient with the community. I'm not making excuses for blatantly brazen and brutal behavior, but in some cases, I can see how it would develop.

Point being is that there are some serious bad things going on that you never hear about, nor do you deal with day in and day out. What it happened in Baltimore is a failure of leadership. It seems that in almost every community that is near majority minority populated, and governed, you have the same broken down system. Detroit, Memphis(big time here), Baltimore, New Orleans, etc.

As much as the rednecks are ignorant, so are those that ignore what's going on in these communities, and how their people are directly responsible. It's so easy to blame the more fortunate, and the ones with 'authority' sometimes. Most of the time that assumption is correct. But sometimes, the so called victims are simply victims of their own accord.

1. I had a gun pulled on me at age 16 in Waterloo, over a dime bag of weed, on 2nd/Randolph. Oh, and I had someone try to jack my car when I was delivering pizza to a terrible crack house in Waterloo. They paid me in quarters and dimes in a bag (shorted me about $12) and I took it and bounced as quick as I could. While I was at the door I turned around and there were 2 guys standing at my (running, but locked with the keyless entry) car. On the way to the delivery, my manager called and told me to be careful, because he was robbed down the street the night before.

I was parked right where that red van was, and the apartment was all the way at the other end. It was raining on a friday night.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-06-02%2Bat%2B11.16.51%2BPM.png

2. I've been in a bunch of seedy places in my life, particularly in Waterloo. I spent my Saturday 2-3 weeks ago in Jamaica Queens with my friend who grew up there. We went over to the project where he grew up. We rolled through a bunch of the city and then went up to the Colosseum (he was trying to buy some new jewelry). Jamaica Queens reminded me of a huge East Waterloo. That said, East St. Louis is also probably the wildest place I've seen in my life, you are very right about that.

3. I get exactly what you're saying. And I too can see how the behavior patterns develop. I'm just not willing to excuse that development. I think all sides are very much to blame. I just want to start with those who very clearly have the easiest path to changing their behavior, and that, in my opinion, is the police.

Last edited:
1. I had a gun pulled on me at age 16 in Waterloo, over a dime bag of weed, on 2nd/Randolph.

2. I've been in a bunch of seedy places in my life, particularly in Waterloo. I spent my Saturday 2-3 weeks ago in Jamaica Queens with my friend who grew up there. We went over to the project where he grew up. We rolled through a bunch of the city and then went up to the Colosseum (he was trying to buy some new jewelry). Jamaica Queens reminded me of a huge East Waterloo. That said, East St. Louis is also probably the wildest place I've seen in my life, you are very right about that.

3. I get exactly what you're saying. And I too can see how the behavior patterns develop. I'm just not willing to excuse that development. I think all sides are very much to blame. I just want to start with those who very clearly have the easiest path to changing their behavior, and that, in my opinion, is the police.
Good, I'm not sure whether or not I agree with what you say when it comes to these things. But it is nice to see someone have a background in these matters. I encounter people who have NO IDEA what they are talking about(due to being sheltered their entire lives), and it's bothersome to listen to their talks of how minorities are such victims and such, with no understanding what being in those communities is really like.

I don't necessarily think it is "his fault" either but he promised to bring the country closer together and "change the way America works". He threw down the gauntlet and said he was going to do it. So I think it is fair to question whether or not it has happened.
hooper...and you believed him? You believed that "one man" can change race relations in this nation? I voted for him, but I never voted for him because he said what you said he said. As POTUS he can bring attention to the plight of racism as it exists in America today....but as POTUS there is damn little he can do to change the racism in this country as it is practiced, day to day. And racism is a two-way street and not limited to "white/black."

Honestly McCain could have driven him into the dirt had he run the right kind of campaign...his biggest mistake was bringing in "Our Sarah". That woman is a loon...and I am conservative.
Sarah was not his problem, the economy was the economy tanking. That's Hillary's biggest worry also.

hooper...and you believed him? You believed that "one man" can change race relations in this nation? I voted for him, but I never voted for him because he said what you said he said. As POTUS he can bring attention to the plight of racism as it exists in America today....but as POTUS there is damn little he can do to change the racism in this country as it is practiced, day to day. And racism is a two-way street and not limited to "white/black."
"The plight of racism"??????...

I've seen it, especially in East St Louis, which took the cake for me. I drove through there and I could have swore I was in East Berlin. Broken infrastructure, houses that the big bad wolf could easily blow down, prostitutes walking the streets(neighborhood streets mind you), guys walking the street and turning their back every time they saw a car, people passed out, or maybe dead, I don't know.

I've been at a crackhouse, where the parents lived in god awful, shit smelling foulness, that had barely any furniture, little to no food, drugged our parents, with kids running around in a completely horrible situation. I've been in jail with hoodlums for an extended amount of time, who came from these types of neighborhoods. etc, etc. I've known people who came from these areas, and became friends with them, and listened to their stories. I've lived in St Louis, Oakland, and the Newport News area. I also did a stint in New Jersey for awhile.

This isn't BS, it's true. What I found was that there are serious problems in these areas. The cops working them go through hell, and it would be very hard to stay patient with the community. I'm not making excuses for blatantly brazen and brutal behavior, but in some cases, I can see how it would develop. It gets VERY ugly in some of these areas, and I'm sorry, but the ignorance of those communities is the biggest driving force behind it. Seriously, go walk in an area like this someday. Tell me how that goes for you, bring your girl along. See how that goes for you too. I'm willing to bet you wouldn't, nor should you, nor would I blame you for not doing so. It is what it is.

So maybe i'm confused, but you're white correct?

1. I had a gun pulled on me at age 16 in Waterloo, over a dime bag of weed, on 2nd/Randolph. Oh, and I had someone try to jack my car when I was delivering pizza to a terrible crack house in Waterloo. They paid me in quarters and dimes in a bag (shorted me about $12) and I took it and bounced as quick as I could. While I was at the door I turned around and there were 2 guys standing at my (running, but locked with the keyless entry) car. On the way to the delivery, my manager called and told me to be careful, because he was robbed down the street the night before.

I was parked right where that red van was, and the apartment was all the way at the other end. It was raining on a friday night.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-06-02%2Bat%2B11.16.51%2BPM.png

In my opinion you are dead wrong here but you won't admit to that so I won't try to change your opinion. So I will offer mine...the group that needs to change their behaviors are the criminals...just stop committing crimes and you won't have to worry about the police.

In my opinion you are dead wrong here but you won't admit to that so I won't try to change your opinion. So I will offer mine...the group that needs to change their behaviors are the criminals...just stop committing crimes and you won't have to worry about the police.
Apparently you haven't police brutality happen before, and if you think it's simply ALL because of criminals than you're just being naïve. Yes, criminals need to curtail their BS, but we do have a problem with police brutality in this country.
Your blind following is troubling to me. There isn't anything you say that comes off as original thought. You practically regurgitate the words of guys like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

Just wondering as you're in mostly black areas and why you're there in the fist place? Considering you're an impostor on this forum, I would guess it's because you're trying to fit in where you mostly don't belong.
You don't put much thought into things do you? That would be your best guess? It's called going where the job tells you to go. You don't see anywhere else but what is right in front of you do you?

You don't put much thought into things do you? That would be your best guess? It's called going where the job tells you to go. You don't see anywhere else but what is right in front of you do you?

Pray tell, what job requires you to Drive through East St. Louis, go into Crackhouses and be locked up in the klink?

I think this is on you friend, you set out to cause confusion and succeeded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT